Microsoft has bought Activision Blizzard

Rozalia1

2 minutes ago, RedDevil757 said:

I thought I'd actually read a comment by you as I'm happy to admit when I'm wrong. But my god. Adding you to the ignore list is something that I think everyone should do.

I mean can you not hear yourself? People come on here to chat and talk games. Not every comment should be seen as a battle that must be won at all costs. What you're doing is toxic. I'm depressed enough without someone like you wanting to fight me on every comment and it's not just me. You're doing the same with others. Seriously go outside. Get away from the computer and stop being so aggressive.

I'm not going to read anything else from you. I just don't need that kind of negatively in my life.

Thought as much. You have me on 'ignore' but read all my posts regardless.

Trying to turn it around on me I see. I will remind you that the person who has been aggressive and insulting of others has been you, not me. Anyway, this is why I told you to be more positive and not so negative. Why frame all of this as me being on some manner of war against you? Because I told you that you were wrong a few times? This from someone who has said they're 'happy to admit when I'm wrong', and yet takes being told they're wrong as some grand offense. Come on now. It really ain't that serious. As I've said, I'd much rather engage positively with you than have all of this negativity. For that to happen you need to engage positively with me yourself too though, you do realise this right? So can we squash this problem between us?

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, Rozalia1 said:

You've made a thread on numerous small events relating to PlayStation

I’ve made several posts ,threads . And status updates about the game industry as large . And only one of the threads  I would even consider to be critical of Sony ( the naughty dog one ) . I even made sure to post a tweet in the bungie thread that says that Sony wasn’t involved with what’s happening with bungie .

59 minutes ago, Rozalia1 said:

You are aware nobody who has seen your posting is going to believe you that you meant Spider-Man 2 right?

I don’t think anyone really cares , let alone cares THAT much what I have to say . Except for you , cause you felt the need to tag me in response to someone else . 

1 hour ago, Rozalia1 said:
18 hours ago, JPtheNeurotic said:

If you’re talking about my most recent one it was actually spurred by xbox fanboys going after Spider-Man 2 . 

but I’m glad you feel the need to watch me and tag me bestie <3

Also I literally posted before you in this thread about Microsoft taking away gamepass perks for their employees cause it’s shitty and I think was worth bringing attention too . 

Ive been critical of Microsoft handling of xbox well long before joining this Forum.   Just as I have with Sony and Nintendo .

Expand  

So if the comment or status update relates to PlayStation you'll be direct and call them out. If it is Xbox you'll drop a link without comment and also be neutral in your status update and just attack 'console wars', which considering your past behaviour will easily be taken as you attacking PlayStation as usual. Why the difference? You are aware nobody who has seen your posting is going to believe you that you meant Spider-Man 2 right?

Nice try. Status updates show up on the right side, which I see and then engage with some of. Hence my comments on random people's status updates at times.

You've made a thread on numerous small events relating to PlayStation. Xbox has done far more stuff and it goes by without comment from you. Heck, here in this very thread which deals with a massive event (the Activision buyout) your response was to mock people worried about it.

7 hours ago, JPtheNeurotic said:

Does that also apply to Embracer who is firing and shutting down studios left and right or Sony having a huge market over anime distribution in tje west by owning funimation and crunchy roll ? 

#SonyToo.

Can you like stop ? It feels gross to use something that’s clearly referencing #Metoo 

7 minutes ago, JPtheNeurotic said:

I’ve made several posts ,threads . And status updates about the game industry as large . And only one of the threads  I would even consider to be critical of Sony ( the naughty dog one ) . I even made sure to post a tweet in the bungie thread that says that Sony wasn’t involved with what’s happening with bungie .

I don’t think anyone really cares , let alone cares THAT much what I have to say . Except for you , cause you felt the need to tag me in response to someone else . 

Can you like stop ? It feels gross to use something that’s clearly referencing #Metoo 

I don't care if you're critical of Sony. Do so if you want, certainly better than never saying a critical thing as a certain group does by and large regarding a certain tasteless company. What I've taken issue with is the fact you'll do that for PlayStation and yet when you see people talking against Microsoft you'll often swoop in and either mock it or you'll say 'but Sony'.

You've posted in this thread and acted in the same way he did. I didn't tag you out of nowhere. Meanwhile you alluded to and mocked me in a status update you put up. That comes across as 'caring' far more than my tagging.

It is a quick way to get across your behaviour and is snappier than the more generic 'but Sony'. I've not seen anyone else take issue with it, but perhaps people do I don't know. It is hard to trust you on this because you do try to moralise as being better than me/others as you're 'above console warring' and all that.

---

Anyway, enough of this. Thread is getting put off track. Whatever personal problems whoever has with me, contact me regarding them if you care that much. I'll be happy to go through it with you to hopefully a positive resolution. 

In regards to the recent news of Microsoft taking Game Pass off their employees. https://www.theverge.com/2023/11/3/23945294/microsoft-xbox-game-pass-ultimate-free-employee-perk-restored

After looking into this more with the team, I just want to confirm that no change will be made to Game Pass availability in 2024. If you have access to the Game Pass offer today you will continue to have access. I appreciate the time to get up to speed and sorry for the questions and confusion created. And thanks for supporting Xbox. - Phil Spencer

So a Gold situation where it got quickly reversed. Couple of issues though. The Gold situation involved moving everyone to Game Pass to juice their numbers by making Gold untenable. After failing they eventually just did Game Pass Core to achieve it regardless. Additionally the wording has several issues.

'If you have access to the Game Pass offer today you will continue to have access' - This implies that new workers won't get the perk.

'I just want to confirm that no change will be made to Game Pass availability in 2024' - This implies that it has only been extended to 2024.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, majob said:

You're projecting now. I haven't justified any shady behavior on Sony's  part and as far as anime is concerned  I stopped consuming it years ago due primarily to a lack of interest but anyone who feels strongly about Sony's  position in that market then I'm all for them taking a stand.  I also have not inferred it's morally wrong to support microsoft,  that's a broad claim, I merely refuse to financially support a company trying to cobsolidate a market I care for, a company with an extensive track record of trying to establish control of any market they enter that also has the financial means to do so. Intent is one thing, capability is another. 

I need you to go back and reread my post. This is not about fanboyism, this is about refusal to support Microsoft in light of their behavior. I have no idea how you're inferring fanboyism out of this and the fact that you think this boils down to fanboyism speaks to your ignorance to the topic at hand.

Also "true gamer" is a trite label. You are a gamer if you consume games, there are no "true" gamers

I was talking about the other person. You asked who was being a fanboy. Of course there are true gamers. Some only go for trophies and don't care about the game at all.

6 hours ago, AJ_-_808 said:

That would be a "gamer vs trophy hunter" debate.

You can avoid/boycott/refuse platform X for whatever reason you want.  Your "true gamer" label is ignorant.

I also refuse to support MS/XBox as much as possible out of principle and due to my long history with PS consoles.

Guess I'm a fanboy, even if I call out Sony on stupid decisions they make.

Guess I'm not a "true gamer" because I've played a little of every platform except Xbox. Oh noes

🙄

• Haha 1

Microsoft has already used AI to create a videogame. It is called Starfield. 

AI making Xbox 1st party games would certainly be an improvement.

The two obvious jokes at this news have now been made.

aL6dIvn.png

Not news to me. Mentioned it in the leak thread. Those who followed the Activision case closely would have seen how Microsoft in internal documents had AI put down as doing stuff like that. That is just the official announcement. Not that it wasn't an obvious sham to start with, but it shed some light on why Microsoft has been so willing to suddenly be so chummy with unions and use them to try and get their deals across. Why not when you fully intend to use AI to wipe those jobs away anyway.

So many out there simply do not ever learn. Microsoft's playbook literally has it written that others are to be used against others, and once that use ends, they are to be destroyed also. So I'm interested to hear what those unions who all backed Microsoft are going to say about this. They going to go against Microsoft? Unlikely I'm sure. Better odds are they'll sell their inaction as being because they've made so much 'progress' with Microsoft and don't want to disrupt that.

Anyway, the defences from Team Green.

Everyone uses AI already. See those enemies and how they act? AI. Games with procedurally generated areas? AI. As AI is used to a certain degree already it means that you can in no way now be against it and you should welcome games being completely developed by AI if it reaches that point.

- A common enough argument you'll see across a number of subjects. No, just because something is used a bit doesn't mean that it is suddenly okay to use it far more. People are not hypocritical for having limits.

You have any idea how much better games could be with AI? Imagine talking to random NPCs and having an actual conversation, imagine if you could talk to them throughout the game or every RL day. Imagine the game generating meaningful quests all of the time rather than 'kill 10 Rats'.

- Games suffer from bloat. No one actually cares if the most tedious and time wasting of all gaming activities are improved. What they want is more meaningful content. As for NPCs and chatting... really something people need? Characters today have a limited amount of interactions to them yes, which when exhausted that is it. People then stop interacting with that character because there is no more point... okay, but that means they go interact with other characters. When they've interacted with everyone they can shockingly put on another game and boom, they have more interactions.

This will help speed up game development which has ballooned to the point of taking far too long.

- Sounds reasonable, but as we've seen it simply does not work like that. Let us say that such an AI future didn't lay waste to developer numbers. It still wouldn't decrease the amount of time. Look at the 'tools' that came in during the PS4 and then the current PS5 era. They were supposed to decrease the amount of time taken and yet time has only grown (at the AAA level anyway). If AI was to make game development quicker than the benefit would be quickly lost as the scope of the game would increase.

The Reds (China) are going in big on AI and that will on games too, so do you really want the Reds to overtake the West? If the West doesn't embrace this stuff than they'll be destroyed by the Reds.

- Smallest argument now, but as we saw with the Activision case this is what Microsoft will resort to if pushed. The West simply must destroy and devalue art before the East (allows them to lump in Japan with China) does.

Well the stuff today is too 'woke' anyway, so good if they're all going to be destroyed. Writing and characters I'm sure will be better under AI than the current crop of writers we have now.

- Guess whose writing will be used to 'train' AIs. In fact, with the corporate suits having ever more power over the writing and characters due to being able to direct the AI, you can expect things to get far worse if you hate these sort of aspects.

• 1 month later...

Not really sure what other thread to put this... lol

Lots of rumors going around and reports from 'insiders/leakers' (or whatever you want to call them I guess) that Xbox might be straying more into third party publishing and they are de-facto 'giving up' on being a console company mostly. I'm not saying I believe this or you should believe this but I'm just saying this is the word going around. I guess their console will sort of be 'there' and they'll continue to support it but most of their 'exclusive' games (or at least a good amount of them) are supposedly going to eventually end up on Switch/Switch 2 and PS5/PS6 eventually

I'm curious to see what others think about this. Particularly... @Rozalia1 lol

Again I'm just saying what I've been seeing/being reported. No messenger shooting. Please?

*runs from angry mob anyway*

• Like 4

3 hours ago, SelectiveGamer said:

Lots of rumors going around and reports from 'insiders/leakers' (or whatever you want to call them I guess) that Xbox might be straying more into third party publishing and they are de-facto 'giving up' on being a console company mostly. I'm not saying I believe this or you should believe this but I'm just saying this is the word going around. I guess their console will sort of be 'there' and they'll continue to support it but most of their 'exclusive' games (or at least a good amount of them) are supposedly going to eventually end up on Switch/Switch 2 and PS5/PS6 eventually

Again I'm just saying what I've been seeing/being reported. No messenger shooting. Please?

Honestly, that's probably for the best.  Maybe someone finally got tired of Xbox losing money year after year?  Maybe Starfield wasn't the ace-up-the-sleeve they expected it to be?

• Like 3

Nothing has been reported yet. A leaker spread a rumor about one Xbox 1st party game coming to PS5 and/or Switch this year. Then several other people didn't want to be left out went and added other games they claimed to know about before the original leak happened. 

Either the dam is busting or they are having a liar liar competition.  It is truly hard to tell.

• Like 3

Eventually will be at this point and i personally think that Microsoft gaming department will stop production of hardware and move to software only. Maybe we don't like it in a traditional sense but Xbox is not the platform, Windows is. Gamepass is a good indicator of this along with the recend acquisition of Activision and Kings.

Now the  good question is if Microsoft will be able to bring Gamepass to mobile phones?

• Like 2

Any of you that think that Microsoft will ever give up the direct access to consumer data that Xboxes provide have a fundamental misunderstanding of Microsofts business models and revenue generation. Especially as Microsoft expands their copilot integration into every one of their products, which is just a big siphon for even more user data for their LLMs.

PCs still give Microsoft that access through Windows, but putting their software on other peoples hardware is limiting their access and will only be done as an absolute last resort, which is not the situation Microsoft is in now or any time in the foreseeable future.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, SelectiveGamer said:

Been waiting on an actual confirmation of a game/s before posting a thread. If we do see them start to come then it really will be all over. There are some out there currently who are deluding themselves into thinking that Microsoft can just put all their games on other platforms and that the already horrible Xbox numbers will stay stable. I doubt that. A more likely result is a total collapse.

On one hand you could argue that Microsoft shouldn't go third party because any money gained will be countered by them losing money on their Xbox platform... except anybody honest and with a shred of common sense can tell you that Xbox is an obvious money pit. If Microsoft were able to swap to third party and keep their revenue, or even a high percentage, then they'd be far better off as they'll not have the money pit of Xbox weighing it down. Though they will very likely have to downsize/close a bunch of studios to actually for once try and make actual profit.

All in all, it is like the buying of ABK for me. On one hand them going third party and surrendering is nice... but that gives Microsoft the chance to keep itself significantly in gaming like the parasites they are. On the other hand I'd love for them to continue and guarantee the destruction of their bloated and cynically bought up first party. Now yes, I know, developers have families and all that. Obviously I'd wish such developers luck on their future endeavours, but I'm not going to worry myself about them losing their jobs due to Xbox finally facing consequences from Microsoft's management.

1 hour ago, DaivRules said:

Any of you that think that Microsoft will ever give up the direct access to consumer data that Xboxes provide have a fundamental misunderstanding of Microsofts business models and revenue generation. Especially as Microsoft expands their copilot integration into every one of their products, which is just a big siphon for even more user data for their LLMs.

PCs still give Microsoft that access through Windows, but putting their software on other peoples hardware is limiting their access and will only be done as an absolute last resort, which is not the situation Microsoft is in now or any time in the foreseeable future.

Is it necessary to put everyone else down like that to put yourself over? If Microsoft does surrender then you're going to look very foolish as you'll be the one with 'fundamental misunderstandings'. We'll see if Microsoft decides to keep sticking to hoovering up such data while losing massive amounts of money or not.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, DaivRules said:

This right here is the the truth. Microsoft isn't giving up the console space any time soon because they wouldn't have spent the billions of dollars they have as of now just to kill off their hardware division. The goal is to get people into their ecosystem, whether it be hardware, software, or subscriptions because at some point they'll simply outspend Sony and Nintendo in their eyes and everything else will fall into place. I for one don't buy the third party rumors, it sounds more like a combination of wishful thinking combined with misinformation.

5 hours ago, DaivRules said:

That's a bit hypocritical coming from you.

It isn't. I have my opinions and have no issue arguing against whoever thinks otherwise. Some people, unable to effectively attack my arguments or/and defend their own, I am well aware start getting that view of me in their heads out of anger, but I'm not in the business of coming into a thread and proclaiming myself better than everyone. Even if I were as you're claiming though, it doesn't matter. Be better.

4 hours ago, majob said:

This right here is the the truth. Microsoft isn't giving up the console space any time soon because they wouldn't have spent the billions of dollars they have as of now just to kill off their hardware division. The goal is to get people into their ecosystem, whether it be hardware, software, or subscriptions because at some point they'll simply outspend Sony and Nintendo in their eyes and everything else will fall into place. I for one don't buy the third party rumors, it sounds more like a combination of wishful thinking combined with misinformation.

Nokia. All that money spent and not long after it all got cut. Mixer, got a big push with them buying up Ninja's services and the like, and not all that long later got cut. There are more such cases from Microsoft alone.

Just because money is spent doesn't mean that Microsoft will on principle not withdraw from hardware. Nadalla made the comment during the ABK court case that if it were up to him there would be no exclusives, but the evil empire of Sony makes them necessary. Since they won the court case, it meant that the 70 billion got spent on ABK, and you can believe he wants to actually see that generate serious cash. Them doing it as exclusives? Great. Starfield and others have since released and... been complete failures. For all the talk that Xbox would take off once the games released, we've instead seen the opposite as their sales fall further. If that downfall continues then it has the added effect of devaluing and weakening the IPs that they just got done buying at a premium. So if you're going to go third party, and we know that Microsoft certainly has had that done as a possible route for them due to the court case, then it is better to do it sooner rather than later. Nadalla now that he is more aware of the gaming business may well have decided enough is enough and they need to change things up to try and actually make some money.

Now of course it could all just be wrong and mere rumour. It could also end up a case of, as Dave Meltzer loves to say, 'plans change'. We saw just that with the Bethesda purchase where according to what we saw from the documents – Microsoft was actually very much willing to keep Bethesda multiplatform, bought the publisher under the assumption that the games would remain multiplatform (so more income from them), and then at the last minute Spencer swooped in and made everything exclusive. To me the biggest piece of supporting evidence to there being truth to all of this is the silence we've been getting from Xbox. We all know how terminally online Xbox management is and how quick they are to respond to these things and yet they're MIA. That is certainly very odd. Talk of them going third party is bad for their sales if people come to believe it, so it would be in their interest to dispel such notions if they're not going third party... and yet, silence. On the other hand them cutting off the Xbox would absolutely murder Gamepass which you assume Microsoft would not want to let go of so... either they would then intend to kill Gamepass and just be a big publisher, or they've deluded themselves into thinking that all of the Xbox Gamepass users will just follow them to PC/Mobile/Samsung TV/Toilet Bowl.

Edited by Beyondthegrave07
Cleanup
  • Like 4

Finally a court with some sense. MS tried to go fishing on Sony again, but a judge slapped them down for not following proper procedure and pointing out discovery ended in April. Since they didn't request it to be reopened, their attempt to subpoena them was unenforceable. So basically they tried to bully Sony into getting their way and it failed. Probably another hissy fit from Phil coming soon.

https://www.playstationlifestyle.net/2024/01/10/activision-blizzard-deal-microsoft-denied-more-sony-docs/

Edited by MidnightDragon
  • Like 3