No Trophies in Pre-owned Vita Game (Not true)

Artemisthemp

Source - http://playstationli...ls/#more-158350

First, Trophies: Trophies for physical, retail Vita games can only be earned for a game on the system on which the game was started. If you play the game on another Vita, you won’t be able to earn Trophies, unless you perform the following steps and sign up for PSN:

1. With the game card inserted into the Vita you started the game on, sign up for PSN, then start the game.
  2. Insert the game into the other Vita you want to play the game on, sign in to the same PSN account, then start the game.
  3. The game recognizes you as the original player and lets you earn Trophies.

Guess Sony don't like Pre-owned game or Gamefly

• Like 1

Holy crap that is crazy! So do you have a Vita yet? Did you import one from Japan? If so, how do the trophies work, can you see your PS3 trophies on your Vita and vice versa? What I'm really asking is how is everything organized?

Don't have one yet, but Trophy list should be share with PS3 one. (at less what I made of the Video

)

SONY :shakefist:

So if they no longer make a game because its old and the only way to play it is to find it used then you have to play it without trophies... absolute horse manure!!!

Not to mention that most of the business that GameStop gets is from the used market... I can hardly resist a "buy 2 get 1 free" deal that they have all the time... That also means that when you trade in Vita games that you wont get that much money for them because they won't be able to resell them unless people don't care about trophies (and the truth is they do care)... and if GameStop finds that they cant sell any used Vita games then they won't even buy them back at all probably...

Companies have already gone the rout of needing the whole "online pass" crap to play online... i feel like that is enough...

Not to mention Gamefly... pretty soon Gamefly will only be renting out 360 and Wii games (of course im being facetious to over-exaggerate my point... but its still absolute horse manure)

End of rant...

Because I've worked inside an industry with a thriving re-sale market (college textbooks -- I worked a year Shipping & Receiving in a college bookstore when I was younger), I have a somewhat different perspective on this sort of thing.

You know what? It isn't Sony's job to help GameStop out and give them business. It certainly isn't in Sony's financial interests to allow such a thriving re-sale market considering GameStop (and others) don't share any of that business/profits with the originators of the games they're selling again (and again and again). Keeping all that in mind, I don't have an issue at all with Sony doing this, and I don't have any sympathy for all the crying customers who want to "have their cake and eat it too", so to speak.

If your primary interest is in playing games and enjoying them, this shouldn't affect you at all. You can still use a service such as Gamefly to rent and play without any changes. You'll still be able to buy games used at GameStop -- heck, they'll probably come down in price if traffic decreases due to the trophy issue.

If your primary interest is trophy hunting, that's where you get "screwed". At the same time, where exactly do you benefit by trophy hunting insofar as things that actually matter?

I have no sympathy for GameStop. They've spent years accumulating profits in the used game market by being the middleman rather than actually producing anything of value. They make enough of a profit margin on new games to survive.... otherwise, they wouldn't be in that business in the first place. They'll have to adapt to the new business paradigm, or they can go out-of-business.

I do have sympathy for Sony. They've spent years watching many other people make all kinds of money off their hard work without getting a thin dime for it. They're struggling financially.... part of it due to the economy, I'm sure. If they've got a reasonable method to shore up their business without doing something destructive such as doubling the prices of games, they're entitled. I've always believed that the creator of a product is the one who deserves to make money off it, far more than a mercantile middleman who simply buys and sells the thing and takes a cut for each transaction without having created anything.

This could actually be good news for the average game-buyer. If a substantial portion of the consumer base that buys used games migrates to new games over this issue, shouldn't that bring down new game prices based on economies of scale?

As for Nintendo and Microsoft, I imagine they'll be watching developments very carefully. If Sony makes this work, "monkey see monkey do" pretty much obliges them to follow suit and "keep up with the Joneses".

What's more important to people? Are you playing games to enjoy the experience of playing games, or are you playing games primarily to hunt a bunch of imaginary trophies?

• Like 1

Because I've worked inside an industry with a thriving re-sale market (college textbooks -- I worked a year Shipping & Receiving in a college bookstore when I was younger), I have a somewhat different perspective on this sort of thing.

You know what? It isn't Sony's job to help GameStop out and give them business. It certainly isn't in Sony's financial interests to allow such a thriving re-sale market considering GameStop (and others) don't share any of that business/profits with the originators of the games they're selling again (and again and again). Keeping all that in mind, I don't have an issue at all with Sony doing this, and I don't have any sympathy for all the crying customers who want to "have their cake and eat it too", so to speak.

If your primary interest is in playing games and enjoying them, this shouldn't affect you at all. You can still use a service such as Gamefly to rent and play without any changes. You'll still be able to buy games used at GameStop -- heck, they'll probably come down in price if traffic decreases due to the trophy issue.

If your primary interest is trophy hunting, that's where you get "screwed". At the same time, where exactly do you benefit by trophy hunting insofar as things that actually matter?

I have no sympathy for GameStop. They've spent years accumulating profits in the used game market by being the middleman rather than actually producing anything of value. They make enough of a profit margin on new games to survive.... otherwise, they wouldn't be in that business in the first place. They'll have to adapt to the new business paradigm, or they can go out-of-business.

I do have sympathy for Sony. They've spent years watching many other people make all kinds of money off their hard work without getting a thin dime for it. They're struggling financially.... part of it due to the economy, I'm sure. If they've got a reasonable method to shore up their business without doing something destructive such as doubling the prices of games, they're entitled. I've always believed that the creator of a product is the one who deserves to make money off it, far more than a mercantile middleman who simply buys and sells the thing and takes a cut for each transaction without having created anything.

This could actually be good news for the average game-buyer. If a substantial portion of the consumer base that buys used games migrates to new games over this issue, shouldn't that bring down new game prices based on economies of scale?

As for Nintendo and Microsoft, I imagine they'll be watching developments very carefully. If Sony makes this work, "monkey see monkey do" pretty much obliges them to follow suit and "keep up with the Joneses".

What's more important to people? Are you playing games to enjoy the experience of playing games, or are you playing games primarily to hunt a bunch of imaginary trophies?

I wouldn't mind if i could buy the access to trophies from a used game. As some one said higher up sometimes i don't have the budget to get a game the week it goes on the shelves, and a couple months later (especially for RPGs) the "new" games get scarce on the shelves, so i sometimes need to go and get it used.

Aside from exceptionnal circumstances, i usually have the budget for up to 12 new games a year. For the vita, i'll probably pay to rebuy my psp UMD games on the vita (estimated to 250 dollars) plus the console itself (300 dollars).

On the other hand ... what happens if the Vita console burns up. I'm all for buying for buying new games but if i can't fully play them anyway i might as well only buy used ... no??

To me this is just Sony's way of saying "if you cant afford to buy new games then you cant afford to get trophies for them either"... This just creates the elitists... Im all for helping Sony grow but this is a bit excessive in my opinion...

And i don't quite agree with it not being in Sony's best interest to keep GameStop thriving because they are one of the major game retailers... I do 90% of my game shopping at GameStop... most of the time if i want something really bad i will pre-order it so its not that big of an issue but there are plenty of times where i try to buy used so that i can buy more for my money and because the game is older anyway and cant be found new... So if you cant buy a game within the first 6 months and the game ends up out of print then you are just screwed and need to play the game without trophies...

now, this begs another argument also... the truth is games should be played for the fun of it and NOT for the trophies... Trophies have sadly become a main reason for gaming to some people... but even for those who don't care about trophies its not always fun knowing that someone gets trophies but you don't because you can only find the game used.

• Like 1

I wouldn't mind if i could buy the access to trophies from a used game. As some one said higher up sometimes i don't have the budget to get a game the week it goes on the shelves, and a couple months later (especially for RPGs) the "new" games get scarce on the shelves, so i sometimes need to go and get it used.

Aside from exceptionnal circumstances, i usually have the budget for up to 12 new games a year. For the vita, i'll probably pay to rebuy my psp UMD games on the vita (estimated to 250 dollars) plus the console itself (300 dollars).

On the other hand ... what happens if the Vita console burns up. I'm all for buying for buying new games but if i can't fully play them anyway i might as well only buy used ... no??

Don't forget a Memory card :P

for 50$ more than the 250$ price point i get a 4gb a vita game "little deviants" a protector and they send the whole thing a week earlier than the release date 15 feb instead of 22 feb

Are you allowed to buy other accessories at that time? Or must you wait a week?

Does this necessarily mean that there will be no trophies on pre-owned? It basically says *you* can only earn trophies on the first Vita you play the game on.

What isn't clear is whether deleting the save data will 'refresh' the card, meaning that others can then earn trophies on their accounts.

This sucks. Now I can't share games with my boyfriend and get trophies as we can only use ONE system? Gah. I wouldn't mind if they had a system where you can link together systems in a household or something. We can't even switch psn accounts as you can only have one on a vita.

Besides that little annoyance, I really couldn't care. I rarely buy used games anymore. >.<

I am so damn sick of listening to gamers piss and moan about every little thing I want to scream!! The gaming community tends to be the most entitled group of whiners I've ever seen, first with the online pass and now with this (although the ranting on this site is pretty minimal).

The #1 reason people buy used is to save money, no matter the market buying used saves you money but ALSO GETS YOU AN INFERIOR PRODUCT!!! When you buy a used car you pay less for it but as a result you also get no warranty (or a minimal one) no Onstar no Satellite radio none of the bells and whistles that you would get when buying new. Buying 2nd hand gets you a second hand product PERIOD!

I buy used games from time to time myself and when I do I know I'm buying an as-is product, as long as the game itself works then there's nothing to complain about. Why do people feel that they somehow deserve to pay less than the retail price and still get the same package as those who don't? Where the hell would Gamestop be without Sony, Microsoft and Nintendo providing them with a product to sell? When it comes to the list of people who deserve to get paid for the games circulating around the world stores that make a HUGE % of their money through the used market aren't anywhere close to the top, the people that spend the time and money creating the games and giving us a platform to play them on are.

• Like 3

I don't care for used games but i sincerely thinks restricting people who own more than 1 vita or game sharing within family is not the way to go here ...

Are you allowed to buy other accessories at that time? Or must you wait a week?

i heard everything will be available

• 2 weeks later...

Now it's revealed. All the whining should just :rolleyes: fade away

So Sony is not restricting people from using a used game. It is trying to protect us from hacking game data saves. You can still earn trophies with a used game as long as you delete all the saves and restore the game card to its original factory status.

I do see it has some convenience for those who own two vitas and share games. You just have to let one person finish it before handling it to the other player if you both care about trophies.

Peace :huh:

• Like 1