Chinese console game censorship rules revealed

DarkStar83x

Earlier this year, China lifted its 14 year ban on consoles. Today, they released their game censorship rules list. Among other things, it doesn't allow games that promote violence or obscenity, drugs, gambling. So essentially, almost everything.

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/china-reveals-censorship-rules-for-console-games-nothing-that-promotes-drug-use-or-violence-will-be-allowed/1100-6419151/

• Like 1

That is pretty silly, though I'm sure Nintendo will be happy since all the Chinese will be able to buy is all the shovelware on their consoles. 

Parker

I don't know about that.

Mario-a guy getting high on Mushrooms so he can brutally slaughter everyone

Kirby-Eating and digesting everything in his path.

Zelda-Link uses his sword to kill all that oppose him while guzzling back potions and eating the hearts that his enemies drop

Pokemon-animals enslaved to battle and destroy the enemies as you pump them full of potions and other uppers and downers

So much violence, so many drugs :(

• Like 1

I don't know about that.

Mario-a guy getting high on Mushrooms so he can brutally slaughter everyone

Kirby-Eating and digesting everything in his path.

Zelda-Link uses his sword to kill all that oppose him while guzzling back potions and eating the hearts that his enemies drop

Pokemon-animals enslaved to battle and destroy the enemies as you pump them full of potions and other uppers and downers

So much violence, so many drugs :(

No, I meant actual shovleware, something like this...

nintendo-7.jpg

Parker

No, I meant actual shovleware, something like this...

nintendo-7.jpg

Parker

You know that was one of the things I hated about my time working for Playstation. I would continually lose out display space because companies would ship pallets of this garbage to Walmart, Best Buy etc. It would never sell but I was told "we have to put it somewhere". The Nintendo rep hated it as well because it is all 3rd party garbage which means while Nintendo may technically occupy the space it is not official stuff selling so everyone loses.

You know that was one of the things I hated about my time working for Playstation. I would continually lose out display space because companies would ship pallets of this garbage to Walmart, Best Buy etc. It would never sell but I was told "we have to put it somewhere". The Nintendo rep hated it as well because it is all 3rd party garbage which means while Nintendo may technically occupy the space it is not official stuff selling so everyone loses.

Actually, Walmart, Best Buy, etc BUY pallets of this garbage. That's why "developers" make this stuff. A sale of 10-50k units to Walmart is a good as gold to them. And when it gets cheap enough, it *does* get bought by shoppers, but at that point, retailers have already bought pallets of more garbage. It may be a surprise to the employees because they all know what crap it is, but I assure you, stores don't just take shipments of pallets of crap, they order it.

Doesn't the Chinese government know that people with get these games in the black market?

When you ban something,you're going to lose money to the black market.

The Republic of China is filthy rich so you needn't worry about their potential loss of tax money.

China's ban on consoles was lifted a year ago and no one cares really. People play in arcades like they all do in Asia, pc gaming goes via private servers like Garena or play games on their phones.

Well that just shows Communism doesn't mix well with Video Games or any other kind of media that might be a threat to the Chinese Communist, they try their best to avoid anything to do with Tiananmen Square Massacre and the Cultural Revolution since those events made them look very bad resulting in a U.S.and E.U. Weapon Embargo (because of Tiananmen Square Massacre) and the destruction of some 1000 year old historical artifacts since they represented Old China (Cultural Revolution main objective was "Destroy the old world; Forge the new world") so they're strict with media because it might bring these events up or other ideas that might undermine the party and threaten their power......sorry i am getting overboard but I love History, so I go overboard when i see something that is a little bit related to History.

Edited by TheVader66