Recommendations for shooter games that are easy to learn

Zarosch

Hello all :)

My 70 year old father is now in retirement and he told me, he really would like to play shooter games. Of course I brought him my old PS4 and installed a few games like Battlefield, Doom Eternal or Sniper Elite so he could try if he likes them. The problem is, he has absolutely no experience in gaming, it is even hard for him to use both sticks at once to move and look around.

Do you have recommendations for shooter that are very beginner friendly? a non vr rail shooter would be perfect but it seems that this genre is dead. Even Blue Estate got delisted.

Many thanks in advance

• Like 2

The original Borderlands is pretty simple, at least compared to the sequels which are a fair bit more complicated. The Earth Defense Force games are also pretty simple for the most part but the difficulty really ramps up at the higher difficulties. If you want something more cutesy, Azure Lane: Crosswave is really simple in terms of the controls. If I remember right, Delta Squad is a really simple top-down shooter but I haven't played it in years so can't be 100% sure.

Edited by HuntingFever
Update.
  • Like 3

Metro 2033 and Last Light. Maybe Exodus too but it's open world. Far Cry 3 and Primal - they're the simple ones without the rpg bullshit of the newer ones.

Edited by sk_lp_him
  • Like 1

The Wolfenstein games are probably a good shout - they have some good narrative stuff, but not too much in the way of complicated or unintuitive controls, and the levelling system essentially moulds to the player, so however they choose to play, it meets them there.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Zarosch said:

Hello all :)

My 70 year old father is now in retirement and he told me, he really would like to play shooter games. Of course I brought him my old PS4 and installed a few games like Battlefield, Doom Eternal or Sniper Elite so he could try if he likes them. The problem is, he has absolutely no experience in gaming, it is even hard for him to use both sticks at once to move and look around.

Do you have recommendations for shooter that are very beginner friendly? a non vr rail shooter would be perfect but it seems that this genre is dead. Even Blue Estate got delisted.

Many thanks in advance

try to sniper elite v2, 4 , 5 those games are easy and have a good story he would like them

the last of us can be used to start too

Edited by Crichik99
forgot the last of us
  • Like 1

See Doom Eternal and Doom (2016) might be a bit complicated if he never had experience in FPS games. But boomer Doom games, especially the first one seem suitable. I can also recommend non-jetpack Call of Duty campaigns on easier difficulties, you do not move very much in those games and I think he can adapt well playing with aim assist and low sensitivity. Not to mention regenerating health makes everything much easier and smoother, I tried making my mum, who never played video games, play Last of Us and she had so much difficulty.

Edited by Fiercethetear
  • Like 1

I'd try Fallout. He can run around the game getting used to controlling the two sticks together. If shooting becomes too difficult he can rely on Vats to get through enemies, until he's comfortable with manual shooting.

Edited by VigilantCrow
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, VigilantCrow said:

I'd try Fallout. He can run around the game getting used to controlling the two sticks together. If shooting becomes too difficult he can rely on Vats to get through enemies, until he's comfortable with manual shooting.

If you down the Fallout route, I recommend Fallout 4, because it has the fewest technical issues out of the entries released to consoles, plus you don't have to worry about server issues like you do with Fallout 76.

• Like 1

CoD 4 Remastered and CoD MW2 Remastered. Very forgiving on recruit difficulty, objectives aren’t too complex, and the satisfaction from the storytelling is really “fulfilling” to gamers of all levels. “Mile High Club” at the end could get a little interesting with the… 

Spoiler

End-of-mission objective to headshot a hijacker

Edited by altStrafe
  • Like 1

Instead of a first person shooter, why not try a strategy like the Commando series or something like that. End of the day though he may not be able to enjoy console gamer if the pads are hurting his mitts. A laptop with mouse could be a better investment for him. 

• Like 2

The best game is Titanfall 2

It has a decent campaign storyline

Excellent combination of mechs

The best fps pvp ever invented

& there is only 1 tricky trophy - the tutorial of all things. 

One of the greatest games of all time.

• Like 1

Lots of people suggesting some pretty hardcore shooters for some reason. (So far only like Gal*gun, portal, and maybe Fallout are simple).

Dc League of Super Pets is a simplistic rails-ish shooter.

Senran Kagura Peach Beach Splash is fairly simple, but may be risky given his age if he has any blood pressure or heart conditions (like Gal*gun).

Honorable mention to the Ratchet and Clank series, but it sounds like the platforming sections might be too difficult.

Edited by Milktastrophe