Rumor - New Sony Handheld

DEI2EK

Even though the portal is pointless for many, I think it showed there is a strong demand for a PS handheld system. From the sound of it, it seems like Sony is toying with the idea and not necessarily committed to it. I am a bit concerned if they could manage PS5 exclusives, PSVR2, and a handheld at the same time. Assuming the handheld gets exclusives.

Would be cool if it's compatible with all of our PS1-PS5 non-VR digital purchases... as well as Vita cartridges!

Edit: And of course I mean digital PSP and Vita games too!

Edited by ZanFear

I'm not entirely convinced by this rumour, but I can't tell you how much I'd love for it to be true. After the Vita, I didn't think Sony would go near the handheld market again, but things have changed a lot since then I guess. The Switch, Steam Deck, and the host of other PC based handhelds out there have shown there's still demand for dedicated handheld hardware. 

I just hope (if true) they get it right. No need to go too crazy. Just let me download and play my PS4 games, and maybe even some less demanding PS5 games (even if that requires optimisation first). No need for hardware specific titles or stupidly expensive proprietary memory like the Vita. And it damn sure better be OLED. €400-600 and I'm there day 1 lol

• Like 1

What would its USP be though?

Steam Deck, Legion Go, ROG Ally etc. run on Linux/Windows and have easy access to multiple digital stores as well as emulators. Meanwhile Playstation are selling a limited selection of playstation classics on their highest subscription tier at a ridiculous price.

On 2/2/2024 at 10:47 AM, DEI2EK said:

Rumors going around about a new Sony handheld

Thought to be more like a steam deck than an actual Vita 2 at least from what the people at push square are reporting

When can I place an order on this? I'm available to pick this up next week during the weekend. 

Monday to Friday I'm working. 

I would love to see another Sony handheld, they have been pretty solid with them.  I still play my VIta to this day and is a very great device.  They definitely improved upon the PSP with that one.

Although recently I ended up getting and returning a Portal on launch.  I thought it was a fantastic device, but the stick clicking was very annoying and just turned me off of the whole thing.  I've heard it sort of "breaks in" over time, but I learned that a bit too late.  It would be nice to get another one at some point, but haven't been able to; so another handheld is very interesting to me.

Edited by chriee

Honestly this makes sense imo. The biggest problem with the Vita was simply that it was its own isolated ecosystem and third party publishers had to support it separately from the "main" console, which most were not going to do considering that's a lot of extra work without much pay off. This is exactly the problem Nintendo faced as well, just reversed. Gamecube, Wii, and Wii U all floundered when in comparison to their respective handheld console (I mean the Wii sold a lot of units but software sales were pretty abysmal for "hardcore" games.) Going hybrid with the Switch is probably the smartest thing Nintendo has done in 30 years.

Having a device that just plays PS4 games (and maybe some? PS5 games) means Sony doesn't have to worry about developers not supporting it. I think it could be a really successful device. I don't even like handheld gaming that much personally but I'd probably get one just for trophy grinding in turn based games or the few games I do prefer to play handheld (mainly VN/adventure style games like Danganronpa or Ace Attorney.)