Ps3 Software Update 4.91

irishmonkey77

48 minutes ago, Heather342 said:

Pretty sure it's just the annual licence renewal for the blu ray

This^

If I was a betting man, this is what I would put my money on it being - that and some minor bug/security fixes.

Edited by HuntingFever
Update.
  • Like 2

Hi guys,

Since 1h or more, an update was launch on PS3, the software version 4.91.

You will need to update your system to play online and, so, to sync your earned trophies.

This update seems to give "improvements" of the PS3, like everytime. I'm not sure if there is something else.

Have fun !

1 hour ago, Sebulba2000 said:

Could somebody explain to me what are Blu-Ray keys? Does that mean that the PS3 will not be able to play movies at some point because the Blu-Ray licenses will be gone?

My admittedly limited understanding is that when they stop updating the keys any blu-ray movies with the last updated keys or older will still work, but any blu-ray movies released after that with new keys will not work.

• Like 4

8 hours ago, MrHealthy said:

My admittedly limited understanding is that when they stop updating the keys any blu-ray movies with the last updated keys or older will still work, but any blu-ray movies released after that with new keys will not work.

Ah, ok, I get it now. Thanks for explaining :)

I was also surprised to see a PS3 update today. Had a feeling it was probably BluRay related.

Fingers crossed there will be no issues but there's always that slight fear that Sony would be doing something bad whenever I see one!

11 minutes ago, Jerry_Appleby said:

I was also surprised to see a PS3 update today. Had a feeling it was probably BluRay related.

Fingers crossed there will be no issues but there's always that slight fear that Sony would be doing something bad whenever I see one!

Pretty sure it’s just BD Related

48 minutes ago, Jerry_Appleby said:

Bad things happen more outside of the PS3, such as not sending messages and appearing in the list of online users on the PS4/PS App and the redesigned PS Store web without PS3 game content.

The worst thing the PS3 can do is the closure of the PS Store, which is only a matter of time before it happens.