Am I the only one happy about the GameSpy server shutdown?

DJ_Adam2012

I don't mean it like GameSpy is garbage, that's not what i'm implying. What I mean by that is: am I the only one who's glad that June 1st is tomorrow so this rat race for trohphies will be over with? I didn't even know about the shutdown until probably less than 2 weeks ago when i was on GTA IV and some guy in the lobby messaged me asking if i'm working on a trophy. After I found out the servers were shutting down I joined the rat race as well. It started getting ridiculous after that. I honestly believe that most of the people boosting these games weren't even thinking about playing them until they heard the servers were about to shut down. I thought i could finish GTA IV since all i needed was to level up and Auf Wiedersehen Petrovic. i literally played with somebody for 4hrs taking turns winning everything and lucking up on being on the winning teams when we had to do those Team Modes. After finishing the co-op modes neither of us still got the trophy. That didn't stop him, but it stopped me and quit on trying to get those last 2 trophies and moved on to Gotham City Impostors, that was dead before I even got started.

Midnight Club LA freezes on me every time i rate a car and people acted like they had no patience with the T-Mobile trophy when it was my turn to get it so that game was crossed off too. Last was Red Dead Redemption. I don't mind boosting and helping people boost but if it takes 3, 4, 5+ hours for everyone to get 1 trophy then a line has to be drawn. I started getting messages and friend requests from ppl I never even heard of or played with just pleading that they need help or an extra person for stuff, and I mean begging, like it was life or death. My gf almost threw my PS3 cause she just couldn't fathom why I'm sitting in a Poker game not playing Poker...for 4+ hours straight. It hit me after that, I'll hunt for trophies, but boosting isn't for me. No offense to any of you boosters who read this. If you managed to 100% Red Dead Redemption, GTA IV, Gotham City Impostors, Midnight Club LA, or every other GameSpy server game, then congrats. I don't know about any of you, but i'm glad those servers are shutting down, it turned some of these guys into hounds. Aside from the boosting sessions I'm in right now and have created, if i can't get the trophy through naturally play with my own skill, or if boosting for it takes hours or days to get, then it's just not meant for me to get it. 

Edited by DJ_Adam2012
  • Like 2

It's always sad to see a server go down (looking at you Resistance 2, playing since 2009.... )

I see your point, I too don't boost ridiculous trophies, because I'm not ridiculous

Although, some people like to get those PITA online trophies, and you got to respect their decisions like they respect yours

• Like 1

Yes, you are. I never like hearing about any server going down. Sounds like you were your own problem- You didn't need to do any of that. I don't do "grinds" if they aren't fun...but yeah, I understand about people becoming hounds haha. I keep getting requests for FEAR 2...which I won't grind. Also, Rockstar has stated that Red Dead and GTA 4 will not be going down, and that Midnight Club will go down June 30...another month from now.

I don't really care to be honest. May has been a pretty busy month for me and  while there were a few games on the list that I didn't have completed, it didn't matter. I completed bulletstorm last month and I've been doing Red Dead little by little since it was announced, but I'm not going to waste my time on boosting GTA or FEAR 2 or GCI just because the servers are going down. I won't lie though, I like seeing a server go down for a game that I already have the plat for.

You are not the only one. I've hated gamespy since 2006 when the servers started going crazy and being stupid, They had some of the worst servers ever. Tbh, not many games went down either. The older one's no one played anymore. None of the one's that ppl actually spend lots of time on went down. LP2, LP3, MK, Rdr, Gta4, Crysis 2 all stayed up. Some of these games might actually be more stable now that gamespy is outta the picture.

Resistance if memory serves was not a gamespy shutdown, that was a sony shutdown. Sony pulled the plug on alot of games recently before the gamespy shutdown. 

Besides, be mad at ign. That l33t gaming site.. /giggle.

But honestly, gamespy was good until around 2006, after that ign takeover the server's quit being upgraded ign didn't care. They wanted the money. 

Edited by TalynnStrike

personally i dont like servers goin down for games as i then feel rushed to play them... the servers are bein changed for gta4 and rdr tho so its mp aspects wont be unavailable but the leaderboards will be which is whats needed to finish them...

You should try using paragraphs, makes it easier to read. And no, im not happy about the shut down. Gamespy is a part of gaming history. There is no pleasure in watching it go.

the op used two paragraphs in his post, large ones but still... lol Edited by DARKSCORPONOXR

My reaction is this:

The games shutting down are AGES old. If you didn't get all the trophies by now it is because you clearly decided you didn't need the trophies for those particular games. You literally had years to finish most of these games, if you haven't by now just accept it. It was YOUR decision not to play these games. 

As far as being happy about Gamespy shutting down: Tbh, their overall server quality was exceedingly low as PS3 games have had notoriously low connectivity and overall stability. So it's not like we are losing a great service. The games I care to play in the future are remaining online (R* win) so I can't really be too upset about it. I'm just indifferent, I guess.  I think the only people who are REALLY upset are people who want trophies and for that, I direct your attention above. If you are upset because you just enjoy playing a game online, then I can understand that a lot more. If you just want to get your trophies and then never play again (like 99.99% of online players who go for trophies) then quit your crying. Grow up and find another game to play. Not having some trophies is so meaningless.

• Like 3

personally i dont like servers goin down for games as i then feel rushed to play them... the servers are bein changed for gta4 and rdr tho so its mp aspects wont be unavailable but unfortunately the leaderboards will be which is whats needed to finish them

the op used two paragraphs in his post, large ones but still... lol

It was one when I posted, seems like he took my advice and edited the post.

I dont really care to much about most gamespy games going offline, most the games if i have them i just stick with single player. the single one that genuinly upsets me to see go is borderlands, its a game that NEEDS to be played online and to see it go offline removes any fun in a future replay.