Kids Think The Original Game Boy Is A Piece Of Junk

Lady Lilith

my iphone case is a purple gameboy cover in homage to my old one, which was why i started playing games :P

i feel old for having that on my phone though now.

"it's kind of a piece of junk" .... i have worked with kids before.. and i have never wanted to drop kick a kid more :)

I kind of get where they are coming from though.. when my mum showed me an Atari for the first time I laughed for about a week.
don't show them kids a Sega Megadrive i don't think my heart could take it . :angry:

• Like 2

its only idiots that would think a piece of gaming history is junk

Only an idiot would call someone else an idiot for having a different opinion and then do it all with the grammatical level of a 2nd grader. You are blinded by nostalgia. This machine WAS a piece of junk and just because you loved it doesn't change that. The video itself points out several flaws. Stop being a child yourself. Some people liked the GameBoy some people didn't. Overall it WAS piece of junk. It wasn't even the most impressive handheld of its time. It was simply extremely popular. The Virtual Boy was also a piece of gaming history.

Funny enough darkscoprion you seem to enjoy running around this website acting like a child. It's far from the first time I've seen you act like a petulant brat and I've only been on this site for like 3 weeks. lol

Edited by RedEye420
  • Like 1

I just want to take these children and slam them through a wall repeatedly until they're officially dead. How dare they slam an iconic gaming handheld that was revolutionary for its time. It's bad enough that they grew up in the wrong era of gaming in the first place. :angry:

• Like 1

Not surprised by the reactions and some of the kids did make me laugh. They didnt have to tear the gameboy a new one like that though :o Cant really disagree with them about the battery though. On the video it said the gameboy could last 10-15 hours but I dont remember it lasting that long. I swear my gameboy ate up batteries like it was an all you could eat buffet doods.

You can't really knock these kids for giving their own personal opinion on it, they're growing up in a generation where technology is at its finest so of course they would think that the gameboy is abit distasteful

It wasn't even the most impressive handheld of its time. It was simply extremely popular.

Depends on what you deem to be impressive. The Sega Game Gear had specs that trumped it in some aspects, but the Gameboy had way more (and way better/more memorable) games. Not unlike the DS and the 3DS. Inferior hardware but better games.

It might be junk now but at the time ('89) it most definitely was not junk :)

the gameboy is the greatest sellin handheld device ever... enough said really :)

After the DS that is :P

the gameboy is the greatest sellin handheld device ever... enough said really :)

The DS actually outsold it by quite a significant amount. However, I wouldn't be surprised if kids looked at the original DS in the same way, too.

These kids never experienced the era the Game Boy is from, so it's understandable that they can only see it objectively as outdated technology. Some of them actually acknowledged that it must've been good for its time, but that's just not the case now. They have long since become junk whether you like it or not and no amount of nostalgia will change that.

The DS actually outsold it by quite a significant amount. However, I wouldn't be surprised if kids looked at the original DS in the same way, too.

These kids never experienced the era the Game Boy is from, so it's understandable that they can only see it objectively as outdated technology. Some of them actually acknowledged that it must've been good for its time, but that's just not the case now. They have long since become junk whether you like it or not and no amount of nostalgia will change that.

I'm shocked about their opinions but guessing some of them where born after the gameboy advance/sp era like you said, it's quite understandable. 

i would like to apologise to everyone on this topic for my lazy approach to punctuation and grammar...

when i type i like to drop most commas, hyphens, the g from most words endin in ing along with the u g and h from most words endin in ugh...

i'll make sure to swallow an english degree for breakfast in the mornin when i take my pills...

my spellin is impeccable tho... :)

Alleyway was the first video game I've played since my brothers around the same time bought the Gameboy at launch. Not to mention the Gameboy, this year, celebrated its 25th anniversary. So there's some interesting facts about me and the Gameboy, in general. B)

After the DS that is :P

most definitely... i never owned one so always forget about it, ironically i forgot that i own a 3ds... :S

the gameboy brand is worth quite a few billion by now thats for sure...

Alleyway was the first video game I've played since my brothers around the same time bought the Gameboy at launch. Not to mention the Gameboy, this year, celebrated its 25th anniversary. So there's some interesting facts about me and the Gameboy, in general. B)

i remember gettin that in a double pack with either mario baseball or mario tennis, i dont think it was called mario tennis then tho...

Edited by DARKSCORPONOXR

You can't be surprised at the children's responses to the Game Boy.  They grew up where small mobile apps and high tech gaming consoles are the norm for them. Even though the original Game Boy was heavy, bulky, and two toned color screen, it had to start somewhere to establish the industry. Without the Game Boy, the portable gaming industry would be dramatically different today.  

Edited by Swar00

The original GameBoy is a piece of junk, when looked at with fresh eyes. It's chunky, heavy, has only two buttons, a tiny dot matrix screen with no backlight, and mostly terrible games.

Doesn't matter about the history of the device, all the kids are judging it on is its value as a gaming device right now. Fact is you can get a thousand iPhone games with higher production values than the average GameBoy game, and all for a dollar apiece. Or less.

Note: I still feel that GB Tetris was the definitive version of the game, and that is part of my own affection for that handheld, but anyone that thinks the device has any cachet 25 years on is blinded by nostalgia.

one girl in the end said,"imna go play my ipad" and she is like 8, i got a ipad 3 on christmas and im much older (and upper middle class) kids are really spoiled these days.

back to the topic, i remember we had a gameboy (even though the gameboy sp was already out) i soent hours on it, it was a great system. Its a disappointment that kids dont understand how the gameboy created mobile gaming (except for that one kid, who was awesome.)

only reason kids hate it is because they're on COD all the time

this post, is the most truthfull post on the internet

Edited by Fierce_DeityX1
  • Like 2