Sony's Considering an "Early Access" Program on PS4

Vicodin_HP

I don't buy into Early Access. It has it's advantages sure, but if I buy a game I want to buy a finished product, not a 'work in progress' that has no guarantee of ever being finished. Steam get's flooded with them, so I'm not sure it's wise for Sony to go this route, unless... actually, this video sums up my thoughts..

Check it out. It's from Extra Credits. See what you think.

• Like 1

This could be cool for those that like playing in Alphas or Betas. I've never been a fan of playing an unfinished game, so I wouldn't be playing early access games, but I understand the appeal. 

Hopefully they'll be a bit more restrictive on what gets early access than Steam is though. I've seen some Steam games flaunt early access and then never really complete the game.

could be a way to get games we otherwise wouldn't have... also a way to support devs who are struggling to fund their games... I'm not saying it's a great system, and there will  be games that don't get finished...but you've gotta take the bad with the good. 

Yes but sometimes it never gets passed that stage at least on Steam Early Access there has been problems with the developers never finishing the game. 

Yes but sometimes it never gets passed that stage at least on Steam Early Access there has been problems with the developers never finishing the game. 

Im sure you will get a refund for Playstation

It's nice to have options! If they do offer this and you are scared to buy it then don't do it. Most of the time the game is offered at a discounted price until it is totally finished so if you see something that interests you buy it and enjoy playing it early.

Edited by d3m0nd00d

Playing in alpha's or beta's has never really been my thing. I like the wait for the release, reading all of the previews and excitement that leads up to it. I was really excited about the upcoming Destiny Beta but I've come to realize I'd rather spend what little time I have playing one of the games I have yet to complete. Destiny can wait. (That should be my motto in life!) 

I suppose it would be nice if it worked a bit like a demo but as these games could be in any stage of development who knows what our views could be tainted by.

Interesting idea but one that would not interest me personally. 

We have had access to games before they are released without them being charged.....its called a Beta...unfinished games will usually have bugs and be lacking features, having people play the game early is suppose to help the company fix these, improve their game...not to get more money off an unfinished product....a Beta is also designed to get more people interested in try out said game...and if they like it that could lead to more potential sales at launch then anticipated...charging for it defeats this purpose and this early access stuff can be a double edged sword for the consumer...while some game companies might stay true to their word, improve their game and make it a worthy investment...others might just use it to take advantage of the hype train some games build and not bother getting to the finished product stage as quickly as a conpany that didn't use this system.....

While I'm sure Sony would be much stricter than Stream is with this kind of system, I don't like what this could lead to the future with less focus on having games fully finished when you buy then...

If imagine any game that Sony promotes in this program will be under contract to be completed and ready to download for the consumer market in a year, perhaps two. Unlike Steam, I would believe that like Nintendo and Microsoft, they'll only work with certified developers, not just anyone living in a basement. This does have a lot of potential to help drive a developer's work into a slightly better direction.

I don't like this idea, sounds like it's just another way for greedy companies to make more money.

Are they legally bind to still finish the game or can they just take the money, give you the unfinished product and call it a day? 

If imagine any game that Sony promotes in this program will be under contract to be completed and ready to download for the consumer market in a year, perhaps two. Unlike Steam, I would believe that like Nintendo and Microsoft, they'll only work with certified developers, not just anyone living in a basement. This does have a lot of potential to help drive a developer's work into a slightly better direction.

That's what I want to know, if they are allowed to run like in Steam ,people ain't gonna be happy. If the program is only for developer who have a history releasing games then I would support it but if it's for a new company it could be a risky gamble. 

Sony could just sue anyone who doesn't live to their contract. That would need to be a clear and present statement to anyone wanting to follow their rendition of early access.

More than likely they'll draw up terms stating that the developers need to fulfill their promise to finish the games or otherwise reimburse those who bought it.