DLC ruin the average completion of games !

alex_scp_7

However if big name companies like Rockstar can provide their players with constant free content and extras, why can't the rest of them?

GTA:O updates are funded by microtransactions from the various SHARK cards. 

In truth though, I think this is the better way of doing things because the community is not divided into those who are willing to pay and those that are not. Everyone gets to enjoy all the content, all the time. 

I get most pissed off when I see greedy companies that want to gouge their customers every way they possibly can, e.g. Ubisoft. They'll have exclusive pre-order bonuses, a season pass, and microtransactions all in the same game. 

• Like 1

Ugh for some reason the replying to the quote isn't working for me. Anyway I agree MMDE, it isn't that they are hard or anything, its that they aren't part of the game. Or is it when we buy full price for a new game, its incomplete to begin with? Even though you can plat it and get a 100 percent. But as I said, it is what it is. Shame they cant do DLCs like First Light. Make it separate. Its a win for everyone.

To be honestly I like DLC's because sometimes they really add something to the main game (more story missions) but sometimes they added DLC's to the games only for earning more money like Sound Shapes.. I have to reinstall that game for four times because I deleted the game after completed DLC.. One month later they added new DLC...... Goddamn I have to reinstall the game again, just for some stupid trophies that you could achieve in 10 minutes :P

DLC that actually adds content I have no problem with.

Borderlands and Fallout being good examples, probably Dark Souls too.

Day 1 DLC that is blatantly ripped from the base game to sell is the issue, that and DLC that just adds skins or a map or two.

The gaming industry is in a bad place but it'll never improve until people stop buying their rubbish.

The trophy system is how it is but I have to agree I wish trophies would only be installed when you install the content. Would you install DLC's if the trophies weren't automatically applied?

Interesting one. For the most part it's not that big of an issue and normally a nice addition but then you get games like Call of Duty Black Ops. You can only ever purchase DLC's from the store and the biggest reduction I've ever seen is 25% off even 5 years after it's release. To get 100% completion cost me £40, massively more than the original game cost.

Let's not even get onto Little Big Planet 2 - you merely need to purchase a PS Vita to complete one of the DLC's.

Then there's games like Uncharted 3 where the main game is Single Player and great fun. I don't think there's many people feel the same after getting to 100% having collected the treasures.

Finally games like Super Street Fighter 4 that released USF4 years afterwards when a lot of people have probably sold their copy and have no interest in revisiting the game after getting Carpal Tunnel syndrome completing Trial Athlete.

No-one forces us though, it's just the price you pay if your adamant you have to achieve 100%

Edited by FawltyPowers

It's the fact that you can't obtain them by just owning the game that is the problem, not that people don't like them or they are hard etc. In other words, they are not part of the game, they are part of the DLC.

But the DLC is part of the game. Which means that the DLC trophies are also part of the game.

But the DLC is part of the game. Which means that the DLC trophies are also part of the game.

If the DLC was part of the game, you would have been able to play it without having to download something extra to play it. Usually you gotta pay extra for it too. There are some free DLCs though, and DLC trophies that comes through patches.

Can you obtain the trophies by simply owning the base game?

Edited by MMDE

If the DLC was part of the game, you would have been able to play it without having to download something extra to play it. Usually you gotta pay extra for it too. There are some free DLCs though, and DLC trophies that comes through patches.

Can you obtain the trophies by simply owning the base game?

No, but the DLC isn't an entirely separate entity either. You need the base game to be able to run the DLC. This means that the DLC is a part of the game, you just choose whether you want to install it or not.

No, but the DLC isn't an entirely separate entity either. You need the base game to be able to run the DLC. This means that the DLC is a part of the game, you just choose whether you want to install it or not.

Not necessarily, but usually you do need the base game too. I'm not claiming that it is it's own thing, but rather that the issue here is that a DLC is something extra. It's not just the base game, you can't earn the trophies without that extra that you usually have to pay extra money for. It has nothing to do with liking DLC trophies, or thinking they are hard or whatever, but rather that people don't own or have played what is required to get the trophies, so why count them? I'm also tired of hearing that they can just buy it etc, because that's not how we count them when it comes to games...

My standpoint on the issue is looking at what is the point of the stats? What is it supposed to be telling us? When we've decided that, we can look at the best solution to represent it.

I'm of the opinion that it should represent a percentile of how many has obtained the trophies of those who has played that which they can obtain the trophies from. Do note that I say "play", and not "own", because we don't usually count "own", we count "played".

I'm not into making up numbers, and saying everyone who has played the game has played or even owns the DLCs for that game.

One thing that would have been interesting was a different "view", an option in their profile", maybe just for premium members, for those who want to see the stats that count everyone who has played a game as someone who has played the DLC. Basically that they hit a switch that changes all stats on the site to take this into consideration, but that this is not the default, and only something you have to opt into. I can see it putting extra load on the servers, but I think it could be done rather efficiently, and maybe it doesn't update as often.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

What about if you buy the DLC, but are unable to earn any trophies in that DLC (e.g. they're too hard for you)? Then, under your suggestion, the site would be making your completion % appear higher than it really is.

I don't see this as a problem. An infantismal price to pay in my opinion. Besides, there aren't many dlc's with trophies like that. I think it would benefit us more if something like this was implemented.

I hate it, but at the same time I understand. I'm currently sitting at just below 73%. I can only imagine how good my completion rate would be if (let's just say) there was no such thing as DLC trophies.

But I won't really make a big fuss out of this as, in my eyes, all that matters is the shiny platinum at the end.

Edited by JB_Swag_Doctor73