My Playstation 4's storage is full already

SoIidWoIf

The Playstation 4 has a storage of 500 GB.

Today, I got Wolfenstein: The New Order and was really excited to play it, it has a disk install of 48 GB.

I tried to play it but my PS4 said the storage was full, it was only off by a bit, before posting note that I sorted this (I deleted a couple off PSN games that I have 100% - Doki Doki Universe and Contrast) too have just about enough to install it.

Though, am really worried that my PS4 is at full memory already since I only have a few F2Ps, PS+ games and 10 retail games.

My Gallery only takes up about 100 MB and I uploaded all my saves to PS+ Exclusive Cloud (1 GB Max) but I've nearly gone pver 1 GB off Cloud memory from save files.

Every single disk game that I have takes up a lot of install storage and I have few PS4 games right now so am sure this will get more annoying when I get more games. I don't know why the disk needs to install so much, my xbox360 didn't need to install games before playing (Besides GTA V).

I suppose the only way to get more memory is by deleting other games?

I like to go back to some games I like and to play their multiplayer, when am done I usually let my brothers play a game and most off my PS4 games, I haven't completed so I don't want to uninstall them tor reinstall next time.

Disk Games Install Storage (Take up so much memory)

Wolfenstein 48 GB

Knack 36 GB

Killzone Shadowfall 42 GB

MGS V: GZ 4.2 GB

Thief 23 GB

Call of Duty: Ghosts 35 GB

Watch Dogs 23 GB

BF4 42 GB

inFAMOUS SS 21 GB

Assassins Creed IV: Black Flag 11 MB Disk (DLC and Updates bring it to 28 GB)

F2Ps that I Play (Play a lot, don't want to delete)

War Thunder 17 GB

Warframe 10 GB

Blacklight Retribution 14 GB

DC Universe Online 38 GB

The only other games I have are PS+ PSN games which mostly take up little memory, if I have no more space I can't download anymore and it will get way worst when retail games start being free with +.

I don't think there is any official memory hard drive on sale but I don't want to be spending a lot of money for memory, 500 GB is a lot, these games are just taking up so much install memory. 

It doesn't seem terrible right now as I can uninstall a couple of games I've completed but my brothers play some of those games and are very little into inFAMOUS SECOND SON even though I finished it.

EDIT:

I mean like, if it's this bad already with this little games, I will be hoping to increase my PS4 collection and am getting new games every so often with all the good games only releasing in the next few months and they may all start to have massive memory storage like these.

Edited by SoIidWoIf

There are  lot of factors in why game installs or downloads are too much(one of the most common is compression or lack of), so are you think of buying a bigger hard drive in the future like 1TB? I getting one for the Destiny PS4 bundle.

I can see this happening to me sooner or later. My advice:

- Keep the F2P stuff installed.

- Delete any installed stuff that you aren't playing

Basically - deleting the installed files then reinstalling later isn't a huge deal. You'll keep your save games and save data. If might take a few minutes to reinstall something that you own. But you aren't going to play 10 games significantly over a short space of time, there isn't enough of it to do it.

I guess the trick is to be strategic about what you have installed. It isn't as bad as you think, it just takes a bit of extra planning and patience :)

Sony should have released the ps4 with a 1TB HDD since they knew this would happen anytime soon. i mean, even the ps3 could struggle with it's 500GB HDD, why not learning from this and prepare for it on ps4?

i hope by the time i was getting a ps4 there would gonna be a ps4 with a 1TB.

• Like 1

I say just uninstall games you aren't going to be playing anytime soon. 

But regardless, I thought it was ridiculous that both PS4 and X1 have only 500GB HDD's. Granted you can upgrade the PS4, but with more developers pushing for digital distribution, both systems should have had 1TB HDD's at the very least. Even then with some of these install sizes a 1TB drive will only last so long as well.

I feel you homie....had the same problem but when I had my PS3 with its HDD of 160gb...always had to keep deleting stuff...that's really annoying....

But damn...I knew that some PS4 games have huge installations but whats this?...all games have insanely sized installations.

The only and the most plausible advice is to buy another HDD and for PS4 its gotta be a 2TB (minimum).

1st time I heard Second Son was 20+ gb the installation I already knew that 500gb wouldn't last half a year with me.

Does anyone know if I were to uninstall a game, would I have to downlaod all the updates and DLC over again?

I have very slow internet, updates take hours and whole days and DLCs take full days.

If PS4 installations are like PS3 ones then yup you would have to download all that stuff again....most games have DLC's and patches blended with the installation when you download them.

Does anyone know the largest size HDD the PS4 supports? 

Parker

It was 2 TB (I personally have 1.5 TB) the last time I checked if going by what actually fits inside the PS4, but last year there were already topics about using cable extenders and external power sources to have much more than that.

Sony should have released the ps4 with a 1TB HDD since they knew this would happen anytime soon. i mean, even the ps3 could struggle with it's 500GB HDD, why not learning from this and prepare for it on ps4?

i hope by the time i was getting a ps4 there would gonna be a ps4 with a 1TB.

Actually, I read an interview with the PS4 designers and they were considering having no HDD at all. But game devs told them that, in order to deliver the games they wanted to build, a HDD would be necessary as it would be just too slow to read everything from the disk when loading levels, etc.

OP should get into the habit of uninstalling games when he's not playing them for a while or is finished with the game.

Actually, I read an interview with the PS4 designers and they were considering having no HDD at all. But game devs told them that, in order to deliver the games they wanted to build, a HDD would be necessary as it would be just too slow to read everything from the disk when loading levels, etc.

OP should get into the habit of uninstalling games when he's not playing them for a while or is finished with the game.

thanks for the info :)

i remember them saying something like " the ps3 is not fast enough to read everything from the BD and so some retail games needed 8 or even 14GB of install so the game could run with less loading times, the ps4 is way much faster to load stuff from the BD " well kinda yes! but it seem the ps4 had the same thing as ps3 and even worse for some reason! 30GB of install or higher!.. i don't know if this is an excuse from the devs of our games runs faster on ps4 or not but yeah, just delete the install of the games you've done with to save some space for newer ones, save files don't take too much of a space so you can keep them forever.

• 4 weeks later...

Hey guys, waiting for my white ps4 to come this 9-9-14. Sadly its still a 500gb HDD. Thinking about getting a bigger HDD and throwing it in immediately than wait for later to transfer saves and everything. Remember transfer data with PS3 took a whole day! Don't want to go thru that again. Rather than making a new topic suppose I ask it here! ^_^

Anyone already changed their drive to maybe a 1TB, 1.5TB, or even 2TB and which one using?