Having a child named after a videogame character

Mr_Freaker

Wonder if my name would count since I kind of do share a name with one of the characters from legend of spyro trilogy, but I was born long before then it was either going to be that or Ecco I think, but that game came out in 92 I think, I cant remember.

Anyway as for the topic well at least if it sounds normal.

OK... I think some video game character's names wouldn't be bad. Others would be...how should I say this? Just... terrible. You have to be strategic and not make it so obvious. While there are other names that you shouldn't even consider

Let me give you a quick example

GOOD:

Isaac (Dead Space)

Joel, Ellie (TLOU)

Nathan, Elena, Chloe (Uncharted)

Lara (Tomb Raider)

Chris, Jill, Jake (Resident Evil 6)

Max, Monica (Dark Cloud 2)

BAD:

Cloud (FFVII)

Sly (Sly Cooper)

Kratos (GoW)

Wesker (Resident Evil)

REALLY BAD (Like seriously, this kid will be made fun of!)

Sackboy/Sackgirl (LBP) 

Gannondorf (LoZ)

Sephiroth (FFVII) 

Amaterasu (OKAMI)

Xehanort (Kingdom Hearts 2)

Pikachu (Pokemon)

Mr. Drippy (Ni No Kuni)

I think you get the idea...

I'm not going to tell you what to name your kids, but if you are trying to try to slide one by the wifey, this may help a little. I personally do not have kids (21 yr old college student atm) but I wouldn't mind naming a kid any of the names from the "GOOD" list. And may God have mercy on the soul of whoever gets named Mr. Drippy (insert last name here)...

• Like 1

I think that naming our children after a videogame character is a very cute and appealling idea for us gamers. I would like to have a boy and a girl named Joel and Ellie, but Ellie is not a legally accepted name in my country, which makes me sad. However, I always liked the name Lara and it happens to also be the name of a major videogame character, Lara Croft, so I know that if I have a girl I will name her Lara and I will say "Lara, just like Lara Croft!" I also wouldn't mind having a boy named Nathan after Nathan Drake, but, again, I can't use that name in my country  :(

I think that naming our children after a videogame character is a very cute and appealling idea for us gamers. I would like to have a boy and a girl named Joel and Ellie, but Ellie is not a legally accepted name in my country, which makes me sad. However, I always liked the name Lara and it happens to also be the name of a major videogame character, Lara Croft, so I know that if I have a girl I will name her Lara and I will say "Lara, just like Lara Croft!" I also wouldn't mind having a boy named Nathan after Nathan Drake, but, again, I can't use that name in my country  :(

I wasn't aware that the Portuguese were so stringent with the naming of their citizens. Also, my name is Nathan, so does mean I'd be refused entry into Portugal? :P

Edited by Gotakibono

My brother named his son "Lincoln" mainly because he liked the name but Zelda is his favorite series and he usually calls him Link.

What the hell?  My son's name is Lincoln.  My wife and I just kinda randomly tossed around names with both our kids while she was pregnant, and we both really liked the name.  It wasn't deliberate, but I do enjoy Zelda and call him Link.

Then again, I'm named after an astronaut and my sister's named after a sci-fi character so nerdism runs in my family.

Edited by Hemiak
  • Like 1

I wasn't aware that the Portuguese were so stringent with the naming of their citizens. Also, my name is Nathan, so does mean I'd be refused entry into Portugal? :P

lol Don't worry, you're welcome here in Portugal!  :D Probably, it's not just Portugal that has this kind of rules. People's names have to be adapted to each country's language and culture.

Actually that's not exactly true, you can name your kids what you want in here, you just have to pay a butload of money to do it, also if someone pays to register a name here you're free to use that name whitout having to pay for it.

• Like 1

Actually that's not exactly true, you can name your kids what you want in here, you just have to pay a butload of money to do it, also if someone pays to register a name here you're free to use that name whitout having to pay for it.

Thanks for the information. I knew that "Kelly" is already accepted, but I just thought that, since we have a strong connection with Brazil and that name is common there, they decided to also make it legal here, but after reading your post, probably what you say makes more sense; someone must have paid to be able to register it. I think that if "Kelly" is accepted, "Ellie" should be too, since "Kelly" has two foreign letters that we don't use in Portuguese ("K" and "Y") and "Ellie" has none and I don't think it would be a very weird name in Portuguese. Anyway, at least I can have some hope that another TLOU fan likes the game so much that they would pay to register the name "Ellie"; if it's such an expensive process, I would probably not go that far. And, to be honest, my favourite character in the video game universe is actually Joel; he's like a superhero for me and, fortunately, "Joel" is a totally normal and common name in our country, so I won't have any problem giving that name to one of my future children. :)

I'm not even planning on having kids but I tend to name my pets after videogame characters. I currently have a budgie named Jak (after Jak and Daxter) and a rabbit named Ratchet (I think you can guess where that's from). I also used to have a budgie named Jet after the Sonic character but he sadly passed away after just a week of owning him... ;_;

Thanks for the information. I knew that "Kelly" is already accepted, but I just thought that, since we have a strong connection with Brazil and that name is common there, they decided to also make it legal here, but after reading your post, probably what you say makes more sense; someone must have paid to be able to register it. I think that if "Kelly" is accepted, "Ellie" should be too, since "Kelly" has two foreign letters that we don't use in Portuguese ("K" and "Y") and "Ellie" has none and I don't think it would be a very weird name in Portuguese. Anyway, at least I can have some hope that another TLOU fan likes the game so much that they would pay to register the name "Ellie"; if it's such an expensive process, I would probably not go that far. And, to be honest, my favourite character in the video game universe is actually Joel; he's like a superhero for me and, fortunately, "Joel" is a totally normal and common name in our country, so I won't have any problem giving that name to one of my future children. :)

When you do have a child and go register him/her you can ask about it, if they tell you that that's a no go and if it's to much money for your blood you can always go with another one. You can always call her Elisabete and call her Ellie for short though ;)

• Like 1

Well, I don't have kids, but I did name one of my dolls after characters. Her first name is Mint, after the the girl from Threads of Fate, and her middle name is Lymle after the girl in Star Ocean The Last Hope. Although if I were to have a daughter, I would consider naming her Sora (yes, that's right, the hero from Kingdom Hearts has a girl's name).

Edited by Andreamedis
  • Like 1

Just like naming a child name after anime is weird for the most part. Unless if the name won't be too strange that the child will ended hating their own name forever.  Though, I don't really see a whole weird names for a videogame character than anime. So, I guess it's okay to name their child out of a videogame.

"JASON" would be a great name I think lol.

Dawn is also good name too.

Alice

Edited by Superstarmaste1r