Best Method for 'A Mighty Doom' - Level 25 Rune

I found it was easier to do without death threats.

+20 for being a level 20

+1 for knowing his strengths and weaknesses

+1 for vengeance 

+2 for triggering fear or hate

+2 for killing a warchief

Lvl 26 Rune total

No death threats needed. All you need is a warchief with a hate or fear. I tried it 2 times, 1 on a warchief that was scared of caragours, and another that hated burns, both dropped level 26 runes upon death.

• Like 2

Is there any easy way to get the warchief to Level 20? Tracking him down and having him kill you multiple times takes so long,

If you death threat a Warchief they go up five levels. So if there's one that's between level 15-20 you can boost them up with just a death threat.

I just got this trophy earlier and got the rune on my first try. I used some of the suggestions here and used what I have on hand, I pretty much had everything not nailed down Branded lol.

Here's a video, the only effort applied here was getting his rank high, I just skip time using the tower until he hit 20 while working on other trophies, here is the end result;

I can confirm that you can kill a branded Warchief and still get the Lvl 25 Rune.

I recommend that you do this in the second game area, near the Sea of Numen. The Orcs all seem to be higher power levels here, so getting a guy to 20 should take less time. 

I started the encounter, let the Orc kill me to mark him as a revenge target, then started it again. I then exploited his fear of Caragors and chased him out of the camp. I did have a caragor chasing him too, but that died when a random captain showed up and killed him. I then accidentally branded the Warchief whilst I was dragging him back to the camp so I could find another Caragor.

I summoned him using his "Beck and Call" mission marker, and immediately killed him using the down button. He dropped the rune.

So it appears that, if you do everything else right, then branding the Warcheif will not mean that you have lost your effort.

I had to try this trophy about 10 times. I kept getting Epic rune drops, so I must have been quite unlucky.

Great tips!  I'll be giving this method a try.

For those that are getting epic runes or having things go wrong and having to start over, consider exiting the game and backing up your save to the PSN cloud prior to attacking the warchief you've spent time leveling up.  Then if you try it and something goes wrong, download your save back from the PSN cloud and try again.

• 3 weeks later...

Following both methods and got "Epic" both times, I think I'm just unlucky tbh. I did get stinking rebels and no power in numbers at the same time though so I can't complain too much. If anything, I need the HDD space for Evil within though it's too tempting to plat this game. I'll try again

Edit: Got it on Saltyie's method. BOT - Brad , I totally forgot the vengence portion of your method, oops.

Edited by Z1MZUM

• 2 weeks later...

Just a quick post to share my method for attaining a Level 25 or above rune. I found it a little easier to do rather than trying to exploit weaknesses and fears as most of the Warchiefs in my game (on both maps) had barely any fears or weaknesses to exploit.

1. Have a Warchief at Level 20, and interrogate a worm/gather intel on his weaknesses/strengths. He does not need to have any fears or weaknesses, as we will not need to use them.
  2. Show up to the Warchief and get killed by him. This will mark him as a Revenge target.
  3. Brand a few captains and get them to become his bodyguards. Alternatively, if he already has a few bodyguards, brand them. I chose to brand 3 and he had no unbranded bodyguards left.
  4. Grab a captain and issue a death-threat to the Warchief.
  5. Show up to the event to kill the Warchief. Fight him.
  6. DO NOT issue the killing blow. Instruct your branded captains to fight him and kill him off.

He should drop a Level 25 or 26 rune. These are the Rune + modifiers I got (I actually inadvertently triggered a fear somehow!)

As long as you do not deliver the killing blow, issuing a death-threat will still grant you with the +1 bonus, but not trigger the Epic Rune drop. I hope this helps someone!

I appreciate this post so much. I tried for hours to get a level 25 rune with the fear exploitation, and I just kept getting Epics and level 24. This method worked on the first try, so thank you.

• Like 1

The only other thing I can add to what others have said is to be careful with using the death threat option.  If you go this route, I strongly advise backing up your save to the cloud/USB because utilizing a death threat greatly increases the odds of an "Epic" rune dropping instead of a level 25 or 26.  I did not use a death threat and got a level 25 rune on my first try.  Also, do not waste any time trying to get this in Udun as enemies in this area take much longer to get to level 20.  The Sea of Numen is by far your quickest option to get war chiefs to level 20.

Edited by Matticus182
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

If you get an ork at level 20 (without death threat ) before it becomes a warchief, as warchief it will not drop an epic rune....

My method of getting  a level 25 rune is as follows..

1)interogate an ork with intel and find a captain with an easy fear to expoit (fire, garagor etc). +1 knowing weakness

2)let that captain kill you. +1 revenge

3)on your next encounter exploit the fear of the captain and brand him. +1 fear exploited

4)send him to kill other captains and help him get to level 20 (he must be level 20 before he attempts to become warchief) 

5)send to betray a warchief so he will become the new warchief +2 warchief

6) kill him and get your level 25 rune

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I know this thread was posted a long time ago but thanks so much. I was trying all morning by using the fear thing and not the death threat, killing it myself and kept getting an e[pic rune over and over again. I got a Level 25 first time with this method.

No problem. Glad I could help.  :)

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

Finally just got this after countless hours of trying.

I tried all kinds of methods.

The one that's the best is half and half of this one. I got a warchief to level 15 by letting him kill me. Have intel on him to know his weaknesses etc. No need to use them though. Brand all of his bodyguards. On the final bodyguard put out a deaththreat to make the warchief level 20. Order a branded bodyguard to betray the warchief. This way the mission is just you. The bodyguards and him. No countless Uruks to ruin it for you. Have them all attack and kill him then just wait it out for the end.

Deaththreat does raise chance of it being an epic rune. If YOU kill him. Which is why you let the branded ones do the work for you. Feel free to weaken the warchief if you're afraid though.

+1 for deaththreat.
+1 for knowing weaknesses
+2 for killing warchief
+1 for revenge.

I got 26 and I didn't even use a weakness/fear. So yay!

• 3 months later...

This is EXTREMELY frustrating. Four times have I built someone up to level 20, and four times have I met the exact prerequisite for a level 25 rune, and four times have I gottten an Epic Rune. C'mon, that's too ridiculous. Is there any way to GUARANTEE that it's going to be a level rune, because I'm really getting tired of this :( (I haven't been issuing death threats)