Resolution doesn't sell games, says Far Cry 4 dev

kidhero99

1080p or not 1080p isn't an "interesting question", according to Far Cry 4 creative director Alex Hutchinson, who spoke to OXM at length about the commercial efficacy of rad graphics at a preview event earlier this month.

"It's certainly not something I care about in a game," Hutchinson told me, after confirming a target resolution and frame rate of 1080p and 30 frames a second.
"It feels weird to me that people are cool about playing a sort of retro pixel game
, and yet the resolution somehow matters. It's like: is it fun, is it interesting, is it new, is it fresh, are there interesting questions?

"With the 4K TVs and things - somebody was telling me that with a 4K TV, to even see it, your living room has to be big enough to sit like 12 feet from the screen. I don't know the exact numbers, but it starts to get a little crazy. I'm just in it for the experience, I'll play a SNES game if it's cool."

"It's a rare question for you to ask now about resolution or something," Hutchinson went on. "It's [only brought up] because of the disparity,
the idea that one version is being held back. I don't think that has sold consoles for a while now.

"I think experiences have been selling them, and that's your challenge, if you don't have a new cool experience, or a social experience -
like Call of Duty sells consoles, even though art-wise, it's not exactly... like Call of Duty to Crytek's games, one sells a metric s**t-ton and the other doesn't.
"

http://www.totalxbox.com/82240/resolution-doesnt-sell-games-says-far-cry-4-dev-

1080p-debate-is-a-weird-echo-chamber/

Edited by kidhero99
  • Like 1

I think people take resolution too seriously, lol people need to calm down. And the worst is from fanboys who constantly moan on an on about "my console has slightly better resolution!" Or "I can't believe this game can't reach 60fps on your console"

The only thing I have gripes about is companies doing things on parity, even though the game is apparently capable of better on one of the consoles (Assassin's Creed Unity). 

What a lot of people don't know is when they complain about a game being 30fps instead of 60fps, that means that if a developer would do that they would have to roll back graphics or roll back the resolution, if you give some you will have to take some because consoles have a limit. So if a game is not 1080p/60fps, that means that they did things graphically that they felt outweighed having 60fps, it's really not that hard to understand... consoles are limited. So resolution does should not sell games, but for some it apparently does, and to those people I just say to get a PC, haha.

Though I do like at least 900p at 30fps for my games now - of course 1080p at 60fps is really nice but I'm never expecting that.

Edited by BlindMango
  • Like 1

Maybe it's because I grew up in the nineties predominantly playing games from the eighties, but I couldn't care less about resolution or if a game runs at 5,609,493 frames a second with a fucking million pixels on screen. Give me fun game-play and a good story and I'm good to go. 

Edited by Gotakibono
  • Like 2

He's not wrong but his reasoning is asinine. Resolution and gameplay are not mutually exclusive. Resolution should never be the highest priority, but that doesn't mean it should not be a priority at all. Also, his point about retro pixel games is ridiculous. That retro look is an aesthetic choice completely divorced of resolution. Hotline Miami, Shovel Knight & Rogue Legacy all look like old 16-bit games but they don't run like them. I can guarantee you none of those games are natively rendered at 240p or 480p.

frame rate DOES MATTER THOUGH

In an interview at the GameStart gaming convention last week with Bloodborne Producer Masaaki Yamagiwa, we asked him what the target resolution and frame-rate was for the upcoming action-RPG. Yamagiwa noted that while they “haven’t made an official announcement yet but they will probably go for 30fps since that’s what they found to be the best fps (frames-per-second) to play action games.”

Not when it comes to action based games it seems. :|

Not when it comes to action based games it seems. :|

I really hate when developers can't just admit they can't hit 60fps. It's okay that you can't, but lets not fool ourselves that 30fps is ever 'better' for gameplay.

• Like 2

I really hate when developers can't just admit they can't hit 60fps. It's okay that you can't, but lets not fool ourselves that 30fps is ever 'better' for gameplay.

It's a damned if you do, damned if you don't kinda thing. If they say they can't then perhaps it's as if admitting the hardware they've been given to work with truly isn't "top of the line"  for what they should be able to pull off with parts that are more powerful and available the market. Might as well, lie and spin things in a more positive light.  :|

Edited by kidhero99

I put the blame on the PC players for this resolution/graphic issue going on. Always arrogant and obsessed with graphics. It seems like they have brainwashed the console players into thinking that graphics matter the most in games. Now, you see them whining about graphics. Hell, even the PS2 had games that didnt look bad at all like Odin Sphere, MGS 2 and MSG 3. With the PS2 and older consoles i never saw my self saying something or going like "oh, the graphics are bad..", no. Developers backthen used to focus more on the gameplay than they do now. Nowadays you can find plenty of PS3 games with lots of graphics but are boring or get boring fast. Its all about the fun, gameplay and story too(if necessary).

• Like 1

I put the blame on the PC players for this resolution/graphic issue going on. Always arrogant and obsessed with graphics. It seems like they have brainwashed the console players into thinking that graphics matter the most in games. Now, you see them whining about graphics. Hell, even the PS2 had games that didnt look bad at all like Odin Sphere, MGS 2 and MSG 3. With the PS2 and older consoles i never saw my self saying something or going like "oh, the graphics are bad..", no. Developers backthen used to focus more on the gameplay than they do now. Nowadays you can find plenty of PS3 games with lots of graphics but are boring or get boring fast. Its all about the fun, gameplay and story too(if necessary).

I think it was the media not PC players that have put such an emphasis on resolution and frame rate and then when a game can't hit 1080p Some PC players come out and make fun of console gamers

I can agree that resolution alone doesn't sell games, but how well it looks and runs in general on different platforms can start influencing purchasing decisions.

If potential customers keep hearing one platform runs games in a higher quality (this can mean frame rate and/or resolution, etc..) they might shift in favor towards one platform.

I agree, resolution doesn't really matter in the grand scheme of things. The only thing that really matters from a technical standpoint, is if the game runs smoothly or not. If a game plays smoothly, people will play it at 720p without any complaints, but if a game has drops in frame rate at 1080p, no one will play it.

I mean, if everyone really cared about resolution, everyone would exclusively play on PC. The fact that consoles are still the king of the gaming world is proof enough that people don't care all that much.

• Like 1