What do you think about Unity?

WL_Ooi

I haven't being able to go very far in the game but here are my impressions:

1. FPS is disappointing. My game constantly runs at sub-30 fps especially at crowded areas. Hopefully it is patchable.

2. Graphics is good, but not exactly impressive. Sure, thousands of NPC appearing on screen at the same time is awesome but the color is kinda dull and not as vibrant as that of Black Flag's. Texture feels over-polished (or under-polished, I'm not sure which).

3. The new combat system is challenging because you can no longer insta-kill by countering. Also, enemies sometimes attack at the same time and you can't trigger the awesome double-counter anymore. However, personally I prefer the old mechanic as the new one makes fighting kinda slow and boring sometimes.

4. The map is insanely huge. Ubisoft claims the map is at a 1:1 scale to the real Paris and it seems that it is. I like to start any AC games by syncing all the view points and in this game they are really FAR from each other. Running between viewpoints takes a lot of patience. Besides, there are a lot of huge buildings around to make you choose between going " around" or going "over" them.

5. The new "controlled descent" makes parkour feels more fluid. The buttons layout is a little different from previous games but the learning curve is manageable. I find myself landing at places where I do not intend to land all the time.

This is all I have. I haven't progress a lot into the story and haven't tried the co-op so I won't comment on those yet. Hopefully other who have tried can share their experience.

Edited by WL_Ooi

I agree with pretty much everything you said.

I also noticed huge FPS drops while syncing those viewpoints - that look around the city made me nearly motion sick.

Yeah, graphics, are okay (and far better than Rogue, but that's probably an unfair comparison), animations in cut-scenes were really improved.

I force myself to play Rogue first, I think it fit's better story-wise. (Why the hell can't you change the controls? I can't get the heck of it with sprinting on R2 on PS4 and R1 on PS3, that's really dumb)

• Like 1

So it's already out somewhere? I'll have to wait til tomorrow. Can anyone already tell me if you can do the story mode on co-op with a friend or particular co-op missions only? Would love to do it co-op since my lazy friend finally got PS4 and is such an Assassin's Creed fan like me (Yeah, I haven't played any of them on this account, I know).

#3 is worrying me already. I have enjoyed AC fighting mechanics while, for example, Shadow of Mordor was more of a mindf*ck when it comes to fighting against more than two or three enemies.

#5 also pissed me of already in AC 3 every once in a while. The movement controls are supposed to be so smart it screws you up when you try to aim your jump one way and the game wants you to go the other.

Also France was one of the most boring milieus of the ones they asked players about. Also I've been already spoiled about the WW II stuff and that seems pretty lame in advance too. Anyway time will tell, after AC II and Brotherhood I'm simply forced to buy all the AC main titles.

Edited by Sikatiiker

I've played every AC so far, and in my Opinion it's the worst one. The story is (at least in my opinion) very interesting and the setting is awesome too, but somehow i don't like the mechanics.

Like you've mentioned, the battles are way more difficult, especially when it is against 4+ enemies, because at least one of them will shoot at you all the time, and i haven't managed to find out how to use the nearest enemy as a shield (is this possible in AC:U?). I like the new parcour mode when you climb down but when you climb up it's sometimes very annoying, he just don't wants to grab the next stone which is 30 cm over him. So you move left or right and then back again and so on...

I have the same FPS issues. Although i think, the graphics look really nice and the colours fit into the setting, i think you can't use the same colours in Paris like you did in the Caribbean. 

The map is really huge and running 300 meters really takes some time.

The main problem is, that the whole game is way too buggy, i don't want to know how it was before the day one patch. I hope they fix the most annoying issues so that the game will make more fun.

Even if not, i will play the game till the end because of the story and of course i want to make the Platinum. I'm very happy that there are no more Multiplayer Trophies, thats why i resigned at AC:BF. 

So i hope you respect my opinion and I'm sorry for mistakes in my writing, I am no native speaker :D.

Edited by karar
  • Like 1

Glad to see some organized. Intelligent comments on here. You should see what its like over at IGN or Youtube. I swear all you have to do is read those comments for 5 minutes and you'll feel like walking up to those people and punching them in the face for their stupidity (not literally though). Anyways. The reviewers were a bit tough on it for its glitches and FPS issues. Which can be patched in due time. I havent played it but just from the gameplay they've shown it looks extremely fluid, and not to mention graphically there isnt a better looking game on the market. Besides maybe the upcoming GTA 5 port. Ah! I'm just rambling. I hear the story was disappointing. Which is terrible since the story is the best part of these games. Anyways. I'm excited to play it once i can get "Santa" to bring me a PS4 for christmas. 

• Like 2

Ubisoft just made an update blog to keep gamers updated on the upcoming fixes and here's the link. It's good to see them taking initiative so fast and hopefully they are able to address all the problems. As an Assassin's Creed fan since the first game, the last thing I want to see is AC:Unity failing.

Edited by WL_Ooi
  • Like 1

In addition, we are already looking into many of the other issues you’ve told us about and we have more updates planned. This list doesn’t capture everything, but here are the most widely-reported problems we’ve heard about from you:

• Frame rate issues.
  • Graphical and collision issues.
  • Matchmaking co-op issues.
  • Helix Credits issues.

That sounds good!

Yeap, some minor issues like having to try sneaking past one room three or four times because Arno won't get to cover. What bugs me more is how similar personality he is with Connor, Kenway and Ezio. The same character with a different name since AC II: brave, handsome, slightly arrogant but always a gentleman when it comes to women. Even the physical build is almost identical.

Heh, end of off-topic. Started this an hour ago and I already recognize the story from beginning to the end.

Edit: Also, I'd love to go back to AC II graphics if it brought back the control and the refresh rate. The movement is clumsier than ever - never get where I want in the time I want. Climbing has always been the heart of AC but in the latest three ones including this it seems to be the most difficult task. The frame rate is just terrible.

Edited by Sikatiiker

^  I'm not sure why, but that cracked me the hell up.  10,000 npcs and they sneak into cutsenes i guess... : )   And @kratos you can't wait for a game you paid for and that is currently out to be fixed so people will shut up about it being half assed?  I hope all games follow that logic.  in my opinion it's deserves the flak it's getting. 

I feel your pain though as this somehow reminders of Dead Space 3 and the series direction it ended up taking... i guess it figures here for me.  I played the living shit out of it, really actually kind of enjoyed it, but my write up and ending thoughts about the game (3) was fucking huge.  Not in a good way.

Microtrans/bugs/dlc/seaonpasses here (ac )and the game is just out.   Do you see why this is such a greedy practice anymore?  It's out of hand.  Maybe I should get on another storyline in this franchise...  which one?  I don't know because I can't keep them straight because they release 3 different things at once because they know they can every year.  How about they concentrate on ONE fucking title and one product instead of the shitshow of releases... and dlcs.    MAYBE IF THEY DIDN"T HAVE DLCs PLANNED THE INTIAL PRODUCT WOULDNT BE A BROKEN GAME FOR MANY.   Why is this idea so elusive to people?   I could go on and on. 

I wish more people enjoyed being a futuristic space engineer than an random assassin every year so dead space would release annual dingleberries like these. 

Off to youtube to have another laugh or two.

late youtube edit:  Also forgot about the App that would lock you out of additional stuff.  Really?  Can I get a # with that?  What is gaming coming to? 

Rather than reply to whatever responses with my rambling here's a review that sums up things pretty fairly with plenty of humor.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=h13CSL5Wjc  link doesn't work but it's titled official assassin's creed unity review.  The guy talks fast and hit points that are both positive and negative.

Edited by SilkyJay86
  • Like 2

I was in the game shop yesterday on launch of the game where I live and the guy serving me said no one came to buy it. So from what I've heard about the issues it must be really bad its a shame really. They make next gen sound amazing then we get stuff like this happen... I don't think they've stepped up that much from PS3. If it can get patched I'll buy it because I was going to play co-op with a friend, but will wait for a price drop for this one.

• Like 1