PS4 psn store sucks!

wrafix

How is paying full price for a game, regardless of it's delivery method getting "f'ed" over? If Shadow of Mordor is available in stores or online, there shouldn't be a discount just because you're not getting a physical disc. You are still receiving the same item. Sony has shown, with minimal problems, a system that allows people to continue to download games even when they have been pulled from sale (i.e. Marvel vs Capcom). Being upset because you are given choices makes zero sense, just as many of you prefer to devote a shelf to games so you can show them off, many others have kids or small apartments or significant others that limit this. I'm also fairly certain that a lot of the complainers would still buy physical copies even if the digital copies are 25% cheaper. I'm not saying that digital is better than physical, but being upset that the games are full-price on release day is crazy. Also, a fair number of games, The Evil Within and the upcoming Witcher 3 have had pre-order prices of $53.99. Is $6 a big deal? No, but it is 10% off for buying digital. The one area I do agree with this conversation is as games age, the price online doesn't necessarily reflect the market value. For example physical copies may hover around $19.99 while digital is still $39.99. Being competitive as the products age should be an important consideration for Sony and their third-party brethren.

• Like 1

digital games should be no more than 19.99/24.99.

What do you do for a living? Why don't you do it for 2.00 an hour? It doesn't cost you anything to be in one place for a work day!

I think you're really, really oversimplifying everything. If you only look at the bare materials of anything, everything is going to seem expensive. You never consider everything it took (and I mean *everything*) to create whatever it is.

They will charge what people will pay. Don't like what they charge? You don't get what they're selling.

Companies want to go digital because it controls the inventory. Less second-hand inventory means more scarcity, which means they get to charge more. If there were used physical copies of every digital game sold on PS3 and PS4, prices would come down faster because the second hand market would determine what things are really worth.

Also, with video games, they will always be more expensive when they first come out. Just like movies (VHS/DVD/BluRay) always have. Once the people who have the money to pay top dollar taper off, they lower prices so the cheap asses will then spend their money. It's economics. These aren't charities, they're businesses.

Don't buy digital and certainly don't expect to play brand new games right away and you'll save a ton of money in the long run.

I tend to buy where the sales are. If it's cheaper one way, I'll go that way. Don't really feel like I'm owed anything, if I want super cheap releases then I'll hop on my PC. I stick to Sony because they've always been my "go to" company for consoles after Genesis. If I have to wait a little longer for deals to reach my price range or what I think the game is worth then so be it.

ps3 store is great because ps4 is out.

Themes and avatars needed to be added to the ps4 store like when ps1 came out. I feel like there also needs to be options to customise your profile how you can on ps3 but better (more than just colours. perhaps a layout setting) but I don't think we'll ever get that as big social companies hate letting people have originality on their profile. e.g. youtube, facebook

lack of user customisation is the biggest thing for me that let the ps4 down. that and all of the technical bugs like message sending delays and time delays. random game cut offs. lack of game storage. failure to load friends list when you have more than 50 friends and failure to record other peoples voices on the game recorder. Not too much really

• Like 1

Digital copies are more convenient than physical copies. Don't like the prices? Get off your lazy ass and go to a game store then. 

YOU'RE PAYING THE SAME PRICE FOR NEWLY RELEASED GAMES WHETHER ITS DIGITAL OR PHYSICAL

And 20 or 30 for a digital copy of a new game just because you have a service that's mainly meant for online play? You've gotta be braindead.

I am paying full price? lol really? then explain why I found GTA V today for only 28.97 for PS4? when the digital copy is 54.99...

What do you do for a living? Why don't you do it for 2.00 an hour? It doesn't cost you anything to be in one place for a work day!

I think you're really, really oversimplifying everything. If you only look at the bare materials of anything, everything is going to seem expensive. You never consider everything it took (and I mean *everything*) to create whatever it is.

They will charge what people will pay. Don't like what they charge? You don't get what they're selling.

Companies want to go digital because it controls the inventory. Less second-hand inventory means more scarcity, which means they get to charge more. If there were used physical copies of every digital game sold on PS3 and PS4, prices would come down faster because the second hand market would determine what things are really worth.

Also, with video games, they will always be more expensive when they first come out. Just like movies (VHS/DVD/BluRay) always have. Once the people who have the money to pay top dollar taper off, they lower prices so the cheap asses will then spend their money. It's economics. These aren't charities, they're businesses.

Don't buy digital and certainly don't expect to play brand new games right away and you'll save a ton of money in the long run.

I already have a ton of money, I'm just complaining about digital games being high priced! don't think they're worth the £ that's all... I know they are a business! I'm not an idiot mate.

Edited by wrafix

Can't agree with ya on the avatars. I always found it ludicrous that people actually pay to but a picture by their name, no matter how much or little the cost. It's 2014, all avatars should be custom and free.

Well the profile picture service allows you to use a custom picture uploaded through facebook or on you're phone, though not something I'd actually use since they want us to show our real names to players & psn friends,, no thank you! don't mind the custom pic but not my name being shown to non real friends or family (privacy)

Well the profile picture service allows you to use a custom picture uploaded through facebook or on you're phone, though not something I'd actually use since they want us to show our real names to players & psn friends,, no thank you! don't mind the custom pic but not my name being shown to non real friends or family (privacy)

Using facebook wasn't my point though.

Using facebook wasn't my point though.

No you're point was about (custom avatars should be free and they are free, you can use the profile picture service on the PS4 (if you're into having you're name shown of course) yes unfortuantly the PS3 charges for avatars though I'm sure it'll be the same should they make them available for purchase on the PS4.

Edited by wrafix

Yes but they should be free without having to give out personal information. That was my rebuttal point. You shouldn't have to use facebook, it should be a picture on a server you upload. Everything else does it. Hell this site does it and it doesn't need my facebook. Why should you pay Sony for the same thing? It's basic nickel and diming, I don't think there's really an argument there.

A major issue i've been noticing lately with digital games on the ps4 psn store is how freaking slow the download speeds are on there. Games seem to take even longer to download on the ps4 than games i download on my ps3.

Sony has always been notorious for having terrible server download speeds (especially compared to xbox live) but i thought it would have improved now that ps plus is mandatory for online play on ps4. :(

A major issue i've been noticing lately with digital games on the ps4 psn store is how freaking slow the download speeds are on there. Games seem to take even longer to download on the ps4 than games i download on my ps3.

Sony has always been notorious for having terrible server download speeds (especially compared to xbox live) but i thought it would have improved now that ps plus is mandatory for online play on ps4. :(

Unfortuantly download speeds are all to do with you're internet, you are probably really far from you're local exchange as it all comes down to distance from you to the green networking box or whatever you have that powers you're internet connection.

One of the things you have to remember with the pricing of digital games versus their physical counterparts is that neither Sony nor the various publishers want to piss off retail stores, since they still make up a good chunk of business. This is why digital and physical games are the same price upon release, and why the insanely cheap digital deals typically don't happen until the game has been around for awhile (or via some limited time flash deal).

Yes but they should be free without having to give out personal information. That was my rebuttal point. You shouldn't have to use facebook, it should be a picture on a server you upload. Everything else does it. Hell this site does it and it doesn't need my facebook. Why should you pay Sony for the same thing? It's basic nickel and diming, I don't think there's really an argument there.

You don't need facebook, you can use a smart phone though privacy I understand which is why I don't count it.

It's not always that. I know people who live in rural Australia who would have to waste at least 3 hours worth the gas to get to a game store. Digital downloading is a lot more convenient in that situation.

it'll take even longer to download the game in rural australia though. so theres that downside too

I'd like to add that steam sales are currently destorying sony's digital market right about now, I should switch to PC gaming, it's not like sony's got any great deals going on at the moment to make me a stay with them, 19.99 for tomb raider and only 2.99 on steam lol wow just wow!.

*stuff*

Agreed with all. The bolded phrase resumes my digital buying addiction and the fact that I always have a bigger backlog than I should. Meh to AAA hype train launch games.

How is paying full price for a game, regardless of it's delivery method getting "f'ed" over? If Shadow of Mordor is available in stores or online, there shouldn't be a discount just because you're not getting a physical disc. You are still receiving the same item. Sony has shown, with minimal problems, a system that allows people to continue to download games even when they have been pulled from sale (i.e. Marvel vs Capcom). Being upset because you are given choices makes zero sense, just as many of you prefer to devote a shelf to games so you can show them off, many others have kids or small apartments or significant others that limit this. I'm also fairly certain that a lot of the complainers would still buy physical copies even if the digital copies are 25% cheaper. I'm not saying that digital is better than physical, but being upset that the games are full-price on release day is crazy. Also, a fair number of games, The Evil Within and the upcoming Witcher 3 have had pre-order prices of $53.99. Is $6 a big deal? No, but it is 10% off for buying digital. The one area I do agree with this conversation is as games age, the price online doesn't necessarily reflect the market value. For example physical copies may hover around $19.99 while digital is still $39.99. Being competitive as the products age should be an important consideration for Sony and their third-party brethren.

Eight years ago, it made more sense to charge people the full $50/$60 price for a game because everything was still being distributed by retail discs. The customer still had the option of playing their old games on the new hardware while waiting for a price reduction on new games native to that platform...thus increasing the overall value and usefulness of the PS3. Fast forward to 2014: We now have digital copies of the same games that are still being distributed on retail discs...digital copies which have ZERO manufacturing costs to the developer due to the lack of tangible media needed for distribution. Yet, the distributor (Sony) & developers still choose to charge full price for said format and the hardware developer (once again Sony) gives very little options as far as affordable gaming on its newest console as it did in prior generations! They now require you to own the legacy and current consoles at once to have a complete yet affordable gaming experience. So yes, the customer is getting effed over and I will stand by that any day of the week.

Someone has probably already made this point, but I'll bet that the digital prices are so high to protect the retailers. Without the overheads of physical distribution, store rents, staff costs, etc etc, digital copies of games could be so much cheaper than their physical counterparts. I'll bet there has been a backroom deal between the retailers and the digital store-fronts that they'll keep digital prices high until physical prices have bottomed out.

normally pick my games up from online deals think the last 4 games ive had only paid £34 max each for on the PS4.It does seem tho uk is a little bit more of a rip off

Still really chuffed at finding killzone shadowfall for only 85p on the uk store. Think the trick is always kkep your eye out hotukdeals.com has saved me bucket load over the years also

Edited by GIennb

There is no need to act like a dick about it and yes I have already ordered my £1247.89 worth of PC parts so this is the end of my console gaming I am afraid, bye!.

Yeah, goodbye!!! (Grass in always greener on the otherside :P )

I've been there: Example being steam's summer sale. Short term you feel great, all these cheap games, you end up waiting on the next day to see the deals (Not really playing the games you bought) and you will end of amassing tonnes of games. Yes, sure, of course everyone likes cheap games but the problem when they are super cheap is you will buy too many to play. 

normally pick my games up from online deals think the last 4 games ive had only paid £34 max each for on the PS4.It does seem tho uk is a little bit more of a rip off

Still really chuffed at finding killzone shadowfall for only 85p on the uk store. Think the trick is always kkep your eye out hotukdeals.com has saved me bucket load over the years also

KZ Shadowfall for 85p on the UK store? What were you smoking... 

Edited by KillCount2121