When does collecting trophies become more of a chore than fun?

Slipknot_rooney

I was having a discussion with a friend of mine, about trophies and achievements, and we were discussing people who play solely for trophies, so I thought I'd ask for people's opinions here as to, at what point, in your opinion, is it more of an obsession, than just for the fun of it, to collect trophies/achievements?

In my own opinion, when people create a new account, or decide what to play based on the difficulty of a platinum, is when I say, okay, are you playing because you like the game or because of it's trophies/achievements? I'd ask more when people buy DLC solely for trophies to 100% a game, is it worth it? Is it worth buying DLC you have no interest in just to have 100%, I'd imagine the answer is no. Another friend of mine asked what game he should play, I suggested a game and he said no, because the game didn't have trophies...now that to me, is pretty silly, but, it's how he feels, I hope nobody takes what I'm saying as offensive, I'm not saying what I think is right, what you do with your time and money is completely up to you, I have absolutely no problem with it whatsoever, I bought Trine 2 because someone said it's an easy plat, I hold my hands up, I'm just curious and thought I'd ask for other peoples opinion.

• Like 3

Playing games is fun, but seeing your platcount/trophy count/leaderboard place rise is fun too. As long as you enjoy what you're doing, that's all that matters.

If trophy hunting is becoming a chore, you'll quit sooner or later and find another hobby. Unless you like to do chores ofcourse.

• Like 1

I mainly do go only for trophies but I sometimes make an exception. If I find a game interesting but it has no trophies, most of the time I still get it anyway. This also works Vice Versa, if I see a game that doesn't interest me, but has a platinum (Even a easy one) I probably won't get it. I find It's more enjoyable to obtain trophies in a game you actually care to play, regardless of the difficulty. Everyone has their preferences with trophies and I respect that. I'm just one of those guy's that like getting platinum's in games that not only give you the satisfaction of trophies, but the satisfaction of overall enjoyment of the game.  

• Like 1

I believe everyone has their own unique way of trophy hunting, i don't mind when people play "easy" games or buy the same game multiple times, maybe i shake my head when they avoid (a good game) because the plat is hard or it has no trophies, but i don't think it's wrong per se because in my opinion there is no "wrong" in playing a video game or trophy hunting. Let people do whatever they want, am i right?

• Like 2

In my own opinion, when people create a new account, or decide what to play based on the difficulty of a platinum, is when I say, okay, are you playing because you like the game or because of it's trophies/achievements? I'd ask more when people buy DLC solely for trophies to 100% a game, is it worth it? Is it worth buying DLC you have no interest in just to have 100%, I'd imagine the answer is no. Another friend of mine asked what game he should play, I suggested a game and he said no, because the game didn't have trophies...now that to me, is pretty silly, but, it's how he feels

I totally agree with this part.  I find it hard to justify buying games/DLC for trophies, and find it ridiculous when people get offended if you then point it out to them.   :facepalm:  I also can't understand why people buy Visual Novels and the like only for trophies, a virtual reward that doesn't mean anything.  Most people who play those for the 1 hour platinums wouldn't even look at them back on PS2, so it's funny how those people change their tune.

To be honest though, it's not trophy whoring that bothers me.  I mean, it kinda does, I'm not into it and I'd never see the point in doing it but to each their own.  It's trophy elitists that really rile me up.  I've dealt with too many of them since I started joining trophy forums and the way they look down and judge others for not wanting 100% completion or not making the end goal of a platinum a priority is actually sickening.  I once got a comment from one about a year ago saying "You call yourself an Atelier fan but you don't have any of the platinums from the games... mustn't be a big fan then."  I... they just... nope.   :rolleyes:

Well, as the painfully sarcastic but genius Harley Morenstein put it regarding trophy elitists, "This trophy won't actually get anybody's double-barrels cleaned, but it'll increase your respect in the gaming realm."

• Like 2

I don't mind when people play "easy" games 

Kids games, that's also when I'd ask, is it for the game or the plat?

in my opinion there is no "wrong" in playing a video game or trophy hunting. Let people do whatever they want, am i right?

But of course, you are right, their is no wrong in how anybody plays, as long as you enjoy it, like said, I don't think that what I say is the 'right' way to play, I'm just curious and thought I'd ask for peoples opinions on it.

find it ridiculous when people get offended if you then point it out to them. 

I was debating for a while whether or not to post this, I didn't want anybody to get offended.

Video game addiction has been a topic of interest for me, and achievements definitely tap into that, it certainly had me for a while when I was a kid, but that's a discussion for another day.

• Like 1

I know what you mean, I'm like that with the Souls games, along with AC, BioShock, and so on, but I love those games anyway, so I'm not buying them, or the associated DLC, for trophies. Are you KratosTheMighty from Playfire by the way? Profile picture and name is familiar.

Same as me... I won't buy the dlc just for trophies... I buy them for the extra content....

Indeed I am. If you see this avi, unless someone takes it as their own... it be me. 

For me trophy hunting adds to things.

I've never got games for easy stuff. If I like a game and it happens to be an easy one....well that's just part and parcel.

I have gone through a few games of mindless boring hours to complete it. That's kinda down to an OCD thing personally.

The only gripe I have really is people who have like 3+ of the same game.....and it's just imported saves. Just to get more. That's odd in my opinion.

• Like 1

I've got the plat for Terminator Salvation. I bought the game because I'm a fan of the series. The Walking Dead season 1 is the easiest plat I have, I bought that because I'm a fan of the show and it looked very interesting. Minecraft ps3 is a easy plat, I play it because it's a good way for me to just relax for an hour or two and break away from just shooting pixels to building them. Even after the plat I still play Minecraft... have been on it practically an hour each day building my minecart track... which reaches all the way around my world map. I also bought Trine 2, which is very easy to plat... but it was on sale for 1.99, game looked interesting... I've spent more on other games and got less enjoyment out of them. My easy plats coincide with me liking the game beforehand... 

I think it's to each their own. For me it's because in life I half ass everything so I decided that I want to actually try with stuff now. So getting a plat gives me a sense of pride because I completed something. I really dont understand why people hack trophies thats just going WAYYYY to hard.

Don't let it become a chore, don't let yourself hate a game, or stress over a game because you can't get specific trophies.

Have fun with the game itself, and keep up the fun hobby of collecting trophies and all will be fine.

I've stressed over many achievements in the past, and if there's anything I dislike the most, it's being stressed over a game I actually enjoy, so I go for the trophies I feel are within reach and won't make me pull my hairs out, and keep it at that.

I absolutely love trophy hunting, but I absolutely enjoy just playing a game for itself more, meaning I only buy games because I just feel like I'd enjoy it, never for the trophies. 

If it has an easy trophy list, then that's a lovely bonus!

Edited by EnigmaticFrenzyy

I gave literally zero shits for trophies then by coincidence unlocked my first platinum in Tony Hawk HD because I love the series. Of course, I bragged to one of my friends who had no plats, then out of nowhere he platted inFamous 2 and Spidey Edge of Time. He doubled me. Due to the nature of our friendship I couldn't have him beat me so I buckled down and finished off CoD Classic and Duke Forever to beat him. But I didn't stop, I then bought a fair few (probably like 25-30) games to plat them just to beat him (I only ended up doing like 5 of them, I still have a massive stack of crap games to plat over there) but then I got bored of the terrible games and decided to just plat games I liked/go back to playing for fun.

Although, there's a few things I ended up adoring from the plats. PS+ gave me Uncharted 3, played it to platinum, loved it, platt'd every other game in the series soonafter (aside from number 2, which I've been meaning to do forever), I got Walking Dead (Telltale) for the plat, sat there in one sitting for around 15 hours enjoying every second of it, then I bought season two (which has no plat) and am in the middle of episode one of their Game of Thrones game. I already had a couple games by them but the plat in Walking Dead was what pushed them up to a must buy for me.

In short, I love trophies, I paid to be a premium on here the other day and am about to go stare at my new second Resogun plat. But I also am in the middle of a few PSP games on the PSTV with no trophies, I'm replaying Lego Star Wars PS3 with no trophies either, and most the time lately I play PS2 more than anything else. So really, trophies are awesome, but so are games, the latter is more important to me though, and I say that as (what I would call) a recovering trophy addict.

Edit: Also, Sly Cooper. We got Sly 1 for free on PS+ in 2012 I think, played it a bit and kind of liked it then dropped it. A year or so later I picked it back up for the plat, fucking loved it, then bought the rest of them and plat'd them all twice. Cannot wait for the new movie and hopefully for the game that will come with it. Love me some Sly Cooper, never heard of it before going for it's plat though.

Edited by stoogebag

Another friend of mine asked what game he should play, I suggested a game and he said no, because the game didn't have trophies...now that to me, is pretty silly

That is silly indeed, I played Assassin's Creed eventhough it doesn't have trophies cause it was really fun.

There are three kind of gamers, taking in account the above topic:

1) Gamers who get obsessed with trophies and go out of their way to earn them without ever really enjoying the game, doing things such as creating a new A/C if they

happen to get unobtainable plats in their list, not buying games that are difficult to plat & like the one you mentioned, not buying games if they don't have a trophy list,

isn't it good when games don't?  :huh:

bitch-trophy.jpg

2) Gamers who know where to draw the line and enjoy the games themselves rather than go for the trophies from the start, like me :D

These type of gamers do like to go for the platinum/100% but won't do things like create a new A/C if the plat is unobtainable or not buy great games just because they

have a difficult trophy set & most of all, not buying games which don't have trophy lists, seriously? Most gamers belong in this category  B)

straight-male-gamers.jpg

3) Gamers who just don't care about trophies and just play the game, these guys probably enjoy the games they play more than any kind above but they are missing out on them trophies :P

davetaylor-gamer_616.jpg

Edited by Lovejinder_LJ
  • Like 3

I gave literally zero shits for trophies then by coincidence unlocked my first platinum in Tony Hawk HD because I love the series. Of course, I bragged to one of my friends who had no plats, then out of nowhere he platted inFamous 2 and Spidey Edge of Time. He doubled me. Due to the nature of our friendship I couldn't have him beat me so I buckled down and finished off CoD Classic and Duke Forever to beat him. But I didn't stop, I then bought a fair few (probably like 25-30) games to plat them just to beat him (I only ended up doing like 5 of them, I still have a massive stack of crap games to plat over there) but then I got bored of the terrible games and decided to just plat games I liked/go back to playing for fun.

That pretty much sums up my early trophy experience too. The only reason I even bothered to get my first Platinum for Burnout Paradise is because I was close to 100% completion before trophies existed. I lost the save to corruption on the final race before the Burnout Licence, so I replayed the game because I enjoyed it so much and the trophies kinda happened along the way. The only trophy I had to work for was getting a group of gamers to join me in the stadium. The Plat popped and I was hooked.

I've had a friendly rivalry with a mate for 25 years now and I was never really a console gamer before the PS3 but I did (and still do) own the original PS One. He showed me his PSP and later, the PS3 and I was tempted back into the fold after 15 years of solid PC gaming. His trophy and Plat count was higher than mine, so I whored a handful of kids games to pull ahead of him. I have kids, so I can justify playing them, but it still felt dirty. Quickly thereafter, I went back to playing and completing only games that I like.

I personally don't give a flying crap about leaderboards, trophy count or artificial e-peen enhancement to prove that I can or cannot 'game'. I use trophies as a way to track my progress and as a carrot to simply finish what I start. There are times when trophies definitely do become a chore - grinding dozens of hours on online MP, picking up collectibles or completing fetch quests in RPGs grinds my gears and tends to take the edge off my fun.

• Like 2

My first platinum was in Fallout 3. I liked the game so much I wanted to do everything in the game.... and thus I became a trophy collector in games I enjoy. The only really trophy whore thing I could say is I wish Assassin's Creed 1 had trophies... just so I could have the plat in all the main games and Liberation.... even then, I'd gladly replay the game as I enjoyed it the first few times. 

I love getting those Trophies! It does influence the way I play my games but not to a crazy extent. I always buy my games because of the game not because of the Trophy list. However I have spent alot of time grinding some seriously dull Trophies in the hunt for Platinums. This was not fun and I did not enjoy it but I was immensely satisfied when that Plat popped. 

I'd say the PS+ offerings are the biggest examples of my Trophy obsession. In the early days I added every months offering to my collection. Alot of these are less than desirable but I push myself to play every now and then to try and up my completion. 

In the end play the way you enjoy. I do. Mostly. Now excuse me I'm off for a couple of days grinding out the sphere grids in FFX.....

• Like 1