When does collecting trophies become more of a chore than fun?

Slipknot_rooney

How long's a piece of string? I've read posts by guys on here with only 5 plats stating they're obsessed with trophies and getting them is a chore. I've also read (and from my personal experience) that 100+ plats has been a casual, fun gaming experience. It's relative to the individual, so it's difficult to put an arbitrary number as the critical mass for obsession.

I'd suggest the people at the pointy end of the leaderboards (many of whom operate as teams) would cop a fair bit of criticism about the games they play. But to them, the metagame is the game, and the games they play are merely the foot-soldiers in a larger battle. Some games are good, some games are bad. Some are avoided due to higher difficulty, or messing with completion percentages. We all know it. What we don't know and can't assume is their motivation.

Personally, I respect anyone who has the mental fortitude and sheer sticktoitiveness to have a crack at a decent leaderboard rank, regardless of the games they play. We shouldn't make assumptions about obsession, compulsion or fun. If it wasn't fun, they wouldn't do it. What they enjoy, above all else, is competition.

To actually answer the obsession question - it's less about the numbers on the page and more about how much daylight is being consumed. As long as you can balance your virtual and real lives, I don't see it as obsessive. But gaming in lieu of real-world responsibilities like work or study, or instead of spending time with friends and family, is definitely getting there. 

I'd be one of those people that's obsessed with Trophy hunting but only has 6 Plats! As you say it's relative to the individual. Real life responsibilities and time allowances, all that stuff. I'd say I'm obsessed because given the opportunity I'd ignore the world around me and game my little heart out. But I'm nice and like you, enjoy sharing my hobby with my family. Even if gaming with my 3 year old is more about having my controller stolen that sharing an 'experience.' Lol. 

I have to say I'm a little disappointed that most of my games are kids games but that's what I get to play and if I'm honest I do enjoy them. After my daughter heads to bed you'd think I'd switch to some more grown up games but having started those kids games I'm determined to finish them! Mostly to justify the amount of money I've spent on bloody Skylanders!

• Like 2

When you no longer enjoy what you are doing. I like going for trophies, hell I'm guilty of a few games just to pad the numbers but I sure as hell don't avoid games because I think the plat is unobtainable for me. Also if I come across a trophy I just can't get I'd rather leave it than try and try again til I hate the game. Case in point for me is dead nation apocalypse edition. Great game, absolutely love it. Would love to plat it but that get to level 10 on the devastation dlc trophy drove me crazy!

• 1 year later...

Holy crap, trophy hunting lately has become ridiculous for me for many reasons.

1) every game tried to spew collectibles that don't do crap in the game or are just for cosmetics.. Vanquish has freaking 112 statues to shoot... Bioshock 1 has over 200 audio diaries to collect(one may argue it adds to the story)... Max Payne 3 have you collect golden guns/ clues/ tourists..... Gta4 have you shoot 200 pigeons.. You get the idea. IMO that's the worst thing to put in a game. Not only does it artificially prolong the game but it's become a damn chore to get all the collectibles just for a platinum. Believe me I'd prefer to complete a game on said difficulties than finding collectibles. Nobody and I mean nobody in their right mind can find these collectibles without a guide or they can attempt to by spending the rest of their eternity finding them....

2) grinding MP trophies.... I freaking hate those with a passion. Just to finish getting all the SP achievements only to find reach max lvl trophy in MP in a game or pull an impossible feat....for example predator paragon trophy in Batman origins...

3) forcing you to play the game 3-4 times... Now I understand if you like the game this shouldn't be a problem, but there comes a time and a place where you're old , and you just don't have time for this. Looking at the dmc series.

4) this is a little bit of nitpicking on my part but missables are a pain too especially if you happen to miss one trophy only and you have to restart the campaign just for that.

Im probably all wind up from the first point the most. Im definitely taking a break nowadays and hopefully soon ill get back into trophy hunting strong.

That's it for me. Call me crazy but I'd prefer to play on the hardest difficulty in any game without having the necessity to collect all collectibles in a game. Holy crap, words can't describe how much I hate them. Sorry for the rant but just had to let it out of my system.

Edited by poopooblast

It becomes a chore when you're in my current situation with Deadpool. I really, really don't like the game, although it's not incredibly hard it's just boring and the camera is a pain.

I tell myself I'll just clear up some of the easier trophies and then move on, but I can't. It just feels wrong to leave it unfinished, especially because I made this account to purposely try and finish everything I add to it.

Online pass required trophies. God of War: Ascension

Anything that sucks the fun out of playing or costing you more money for a game you already paid for.

Holy crap yes. That gow ascension pass just for a stupid bronze trophy to dip your toes into MP. I went crazy when I saw that since I bought a used copy and I wasn't going to digitally download the game. It freaking took 80gbs on ps3, like wtf. I was soo damn lucky to find a working code in the case. My other option would've been to rent it on PS now.

Also PS now used to have an option to rent singular games for adesired time. Now a subscription is required and you cannot rent them for let's say 4 hrs etc. So stupid