Vita losing Youtube, Near and Maps In March Update.

skateak

So this is a shooter...009-273.jpg

And the Vita doesn't have shooter...

killzone_873574.jpg

Okay I definitely can't agree on this, sorry

I didn't say it didn't have a shooter. I said I was looking for a system with a variety of genres that I personally enjoy. And it just didn't have what I was looking for.

Edited by shananiganyo

You're the hero we don't deserve but need. I hate WP, I swear that game is not for big hands lol. 

You inspired me to go back to Welcome Park for the first time in many years last night... I lost a good two hours of sleep and got one stinking achievement. What a terror of a "game" lol...

I have actually read all the terms regarding the Vita and all its app, and if I remember correctly the location data is submitted by Skyhook wireless, so it seems that the deal there is over and not going to be replaced with anything similar. For some reason I cant access the terms right now, my Vita just says "an error occurred" without any further lead, but they are mentioned in the copyright notices (which I can access).

Anyone can list a wireless access point on Skyhook. Skyhook's database makes it possible for any device to detect the WAP, the Vita itself is irrelevant.

Anyone can list a wireless access point on Skyhook. Skyhook's database makes it possible for any device to detect the WAP, the Vita itself is irrelevant.

I know that. And how exactly does that contradict what I wrote? Skyhook is more than just the website, they are selling a location data service to whomever wants (to buy) such a service. In this case Sony, who probably don't wanna pay the bills anymore. Near, and also some games, uses Skyhook to determine the Vita's location.

I know that. And how exactly does that contradict what I wrote? Skyhook is more than just the website, they are selling a location data service to whomever wants (to buy) such a service. In this case Sony, who probably don't wanna pay the bills anymore. Near, and also some games, uses Skyhook to determine the Vita's location.

Again, it's not Vita-specific. Listing a WAP is a free service for everyone. The only thing remotely related to Vita on the Skyhook site is the line "Sony Vita users, if you are experiencing location issues you should submit an access point to our database.", which does exactly the same thing as the link above it, which is free for everyone to use, regardless of device.

All Skyhook does is create an internet-listed WAP as close as possible to your devices, in this case, the Vita, so it can be located. That Wi-Fi access point will not change, nor will it be removed from their database as the listing itself has nothing to do with the Vita. So there's no reason Near shouldn't work regardless of any backroom deal between Sony and Skyhook.

I understand what you're saying from a service-provider perspective (Vita connects to Skyhook database to provide the results), but that may simply be a fallback position in case a WAP isn't found when the Vita scans your Wi-Fi signal for an access point. Skyhook locks that point down if one isn't found by listing the WAP manually to make it easier for the Vita (and other Wi-Fi devices) to find it.

Skyhook itself may not be required - there's no way everyone with a Vita using Near has registered their WAP via Skyhook (the process is convoluted and most people are too technologically-inept or impatient to bother), nor is listing your WAP via Skyhook mentioned as a requirement. So my guess is it's optional in case of troubleshooting. It's the WAP that provides the location data, Skyhook provides a means to create it...for free.

I could absolutely be wrong, in which case, the location services will stop working completely if there's a deal between Sony and Skyhook and that deal is being canned. But Near isn't being removed from the Vita, which implies the functionality will largely remain intact, with the core feature being location data. Near is useless without it, so why retain the app?

As others in the thread have pointed out, maybe Sony's simply cutting Skyhook out of the picture by providing an alternate way for Near to find location data, like using your IP address, which seems far simpler. But it's more error-prone if that IP addy is shared, hence the WAP is more accurate. I've listed my WAP on Skyhook and Near has never found it, so maybe Skyhook is simply too unreliable. All we can do is speculate...

Meanwhile, the Maps app will be removed as part of a March update, rendering some functions of Near redundant. You won't, for example, be able to obtain your location address, which, we imagine, will prevent you from searching for Game Goods – not that anyone ever did anyway. Some data will be saved in the software, so all is not entirely lost.

This part of the article is incorrect. As you've pointed out Skyhook provides location data, not Google Maps. Removing Maps should have no impact on Near. So we don't really know what'll happen to Near until Sony releases the March update.

Edited by ant1th3s1s

Well I never cared for those apps myself, but having them removed is a bit much. If they dont want to update them then so be it, but to completely off them is messed up . Although it might not be many, but a few users do use these apps, but hey its SONY, so who the hell is surprised? They prematurely kill everything that doesnt go in their favor.

• Like 1

The clock skip won't help you get the street stars. You need to be in a different location for street stars. Try using skyhook or, if you can, take a road trip around the nearest towns to where you live. If you have a 3G Vita, try connecting using 3G and WiFi at home - for some reason my Vita thought I was in different towns when I used one or the other.

I'm trying to do this Skyhook thing and it looks like it works and it saves my new location, but then my Vita's like "Lol, I know you're lying Dylan, you're still in Melbourne, go for a job or something you lazy shit"

Well I never cared for those apps myself, but having them removed is a bit much. If they dont want to update them then so be it, but to completely off them is messed up . Although it might not be many, but a few users do use these apps, but hey its SONY, so who the hell is surprised? They prematurely kill everything that doesnt go in their favor.

Given the changes Google is doing they probably had no choice but to remove them. Even if they left them they wouldn't work anymore anyways since they wouldn't be updated so instead of having a non-functioning program they just remove it.

• Like 1

Super smash bros and Mario Kart are not mainstream? No.. it's not the same with the wii u. People are just understanding there is no use buying a platform that will have the same games that the wii had

Yes, they are. With mainstream (in parenthesis) I meant games like Call of Duty, Destiny, Grand Theft Auto, FIFA, NFL, NHL, and so on.

I'm trying to do this Skyhook thing and it looks like it works and it saves my new location, but then my Vita's like "Lol, I know you're lying Dylan, you're still in Melbourne, go for a job or something you lazy shit"

I have read online that you need to completely shut down the Vita in between changing locations. Have you tried that?

I have read online that you need to completely shut down the Vita in between changing locations. Have you tried that?

Yeah, I got it all going in the end, got a bit over 50 points before exhausting all the places my Vita would let me use, I'd have tried to gotten more points out of the ones I did, but the street smart thing resets in around 14 hours or so so I'll just be patient and start over, way easier.

Yeah, I got it all going in the end, got a bit over 50 points before exhausting all the places my Vita would let me use, I'd have tried to gotten more points out of the ones I did, but the street smart thing resets in around 14 hours or so so I'll just be patient and start over, way easier.

Cool beans. I noticed on the other thread that you got it working. You now appear in the guide. Thanks for the write-up, I think it will help people.

Cool beans. I noticed on the other thread that you got it working. You now appear in the guide. Thanks for the write-up, I think it will help people.

Oh cool, if I'd have known you'd have used that I'd have written it a teensy bit more professionally.

I'll have to launch the web browser and watch a video on YouTube through that. If it's bearable, then the app might just be redundant.

Just checked out YouTube in the browser on the Vita and I have to say, I don't see what the problem is. Worked just fine for searches, playing my playlists or everything else I usually do on YouTube. The app seems redundant now. Yeah, the browser still blows for regular surfing, but YouTube seems to be one of the usable sites on this thing.

• Like 1

If you want to copy/paste what's currently on the guide into a PM for example, and amend it there, then I'll happily edit the guide. Here's the link.

I tried just then to rewrite it in a more serious manor but every time I try to do something serious it ends up more bonkers than when I'm not. If you're good at translating Dylan-to-English then be my guest to give it a shot. If it would actually help you and your guide, I'd gladly do it, but for the most part I'd say it's understandable.

Also, I'd add that sometimes it's worth turning your Vita off and waiting a while, like a good 20 minutes, seems the more times I use Skyhook the longer it takes to recognize change.

I for one would like to know what impact this will have on the various trophies that require the Near application to obtain. Also I can't be the only one who has used Near to find local players for adhoc trophies am I?

Actually never thought of that... mainly because one of my friends got a vita a few months back, so I do all Ad-Hoc trophies with him

Edited by NiTR0

Funny how you don't care about the only important loss =D

YT and maps can still be used through browser, near cannot =D

Why is everyone thinking and panicking Near is being removed, Near will still be available but with some features disabled.

More like the death Knell to the platform was delivered back in 2012. 

Removing some apps that weren't used much, or work just as well inside the browser is hardly a death knell, Vita has loads of new games coming this year there might not be as many first-party titles but were still getting enjoyable and decent games! 

Well... what I said, removing features that are base for near are pretty much like removing near.

Only in this case, it will occupy space xD

Q: What do you mean by some features of "near" will be disabled? What will I not be able to do on "near" ?

A: "near" will not be able to obtain location address, or display maps.

From: http://faq.en.playstation.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/10152

Doesn't sound like Near will be completely useless, if it wasn't going to be usable anymore they would remove it like they are doing with Maps + YouTube, since both of these apps won't work in March anyway due to Google's changes. 

I think since Near is also a built in application, any space saved by removing it wouldn't be accessible to us since the built-in app's live on the Vita's internal storage and not on the memory card, same probably goes for Maps - though at least we will have less icons on our home screens!

From: http://faq.en.playstation.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/10152

Doesn't sound like Near will be completely useless, if it wasn't going to be usable anymore they would remove it like they are doing with Maps + YouTube, since both of these apps won't work in March anyway due to Google's changes. 

Yea, that's the point... if near is incapable of obtaining location it most likely means no game goods sending which pretty much equals destroying the only possible near's use.

That's why it's better to be prepared for the worst.

If game goods are still available after the update, the better :)

I think since Near is also a built in application, any space saved by removing it wouldn't be accessible to us since the built-in app's live on the Vita's internal storage and not on the memory card

Of course.

Edited by Satoshi Ookami