Vita losing Youtube, Near and Maps In March Update.

skateak

So this means that games with "location data acquisition service" will no longer work with the function or game mode tied to that?

Take a look at Location Services on the Vita. It says "The location data will be obtained from Wi-Fi access points". Maps may not be required for Near to function for the purposes of getting trophies, though that's yet to be seen.

Besides, I have never found anyone via Near, so whether or not those trophies pop or not is kind of a moot point.

Edited by ant1th3s1s

I'm for anything that clears up space...

With this, they should give us the option to delete Welcome Park when we're done with it and remove email. Clicked on email once and now it's taking up a minimal amount of space, but space is space.

Maps is another things that just takes up space. I never really knew how to use NEAR, so I left that alone. YouTube is a strange lost, but an okay one. I own a Nook and they limit all their apps, so I'm use to limited options :)

Yeah, I did that to myself too. So many likely great ones that will never be translated to English. Though that makes my backlog breath a sigh of relief lol.

Importing is good.

Hey guys, remember when the vita had games? LOL ITS FUNNY BECAUSE IT DOESNT. (Not really though, i paid 200 dollars for this garbage and I only have 10 games for it, 7 of which i can get on other platforms.) In the span of what? 4 years? Pathetic.

maybe you should really import.

Edited by Bonzi Buddy

my ipad does all these things better i have a vita to do one thing PLAY GAMES thats what i bought it for i will admit i did use my psp when i was in school to play movies but yet again that was before iphone and ipads it all i had i hope this means sony are more focused on the game side of it like nintendo are so we can see great things from the vita this year and next 

I don't know Japanese so that's not really an option. I do need to check to see if any were released with both English and Japanese but never released on the US PS store, though I rather doubt it.

I don't know Japanese so much but i can still play the games, just don't get games where you have to be good with choices.

That's not really an option for me since I'd be playing it for the story and if I can't understand it then there's no point in my playing it.

You got to be kidding me?

well in J-Stars there is a story mode, some of my friends with no knowledge of the language beat story mode with no guides. some games you do not need to know the language like take for an example Danganronpa:Another episode, I played it even on it's full story mode without knowing a ton of Japanese and still made it over it. some games you don't need to and some you do.

Edited by Bonzi Buddy

What is there to play right now? Lots in 2015 but, when I'm given a choice between YouTube and something like, say... HyperDimension Neptoria (Is that what it's called), I'm gonna go YouTube.

Well... what Booda said, you are doing it wrong.

In fact, turn based RPGs seem to be the only thing thats on there (Figuritively speaking). My issue is that I hate RPGs, Especially with anime characters, which I find extremely annoying. I have never played those types of games nor do i intend to. Everything else on the handheld revolves around Indies (Waste of time for the most part) and lazy ports of originally great games. And right now I only use my vita for playing old PS1 classics on the go. All I'm saying is, wheres the variety? I haven't picked up my vita in months! Sure games like Killzone and tearaway are really good but at the most I only wind up picking up 2 games for the thing in a year! I must be lost and I'm sure I look ignorant but I just don't see the appeal. If any of you can guide me to a legit selection of games that are genuinly interesting, have nothing to do with indies or RPGs. I would be glad to hear.

Then yea, you clearly made a wrong purchase.

You got to be kidding me?

well in J-Stars there is a story mode, some of my friends with no knowledge of the language beat story mode with no guides. some games you do not need to know the language like take for an example Danganronpa:Another episode, I played it even on it's full story mode without knowing a ton of Japanese and still made it over it. some games you don't need to and some you do.

Well... people tend to play J-games for the story.

• Like 1

Well, why not really? It's a brilliant way to connect to other players in your vicinity.

Is it though? Whenever I have used it, its never shown many people and I live in London, two of my neighbors have a Vita and I have never seen them on Near.

Anyway, Sony haven't said Near is being removed completely, only that a few features will be disabled.

You guys missed my point, and for that I apologize for not making myself clear. I bought the vita expecting an expansive library of games as good as the 3DS. You know, shooters, platformers, puzzle games and whatnot, turns out there is almost none of that.

A Shooter on the 3DS ? :facepalm:  When you'll find two shooter games on the 3DS better than Unit 13 and Killzone Mercenary, I'll give you my <3

What's up with all the guys who says "I don't use it, good it goes away"? Are there so many braindead people out there? Just because you don't use it doesn't mean it useless.

What if I would say that I don't care about trophies, it is just annoying and waste of space, and therefore should be removed, huh? I mean, the less features the better.

FFS, just put the things you don't use last, retards.

Take a look at Location Services on the Vita. It says "The location data will be obtained from Wi-Fi access points". Maps may not be required for Near to function for the purposes of getting trophies, though that's yet to be seen.

Besides, I have never found anyone via Near, so whether or not those trophies pop or not is kind of a moot point.

I have actually read all the terms regarding the Vita and all its app, and if I remember correctly the location data is submitted by Skyhook wireless, so it seems that the deal there is over and not going to be replaced with anything similar. For some reason I cant access the terms right now, my Vita just says "an error occurred" without any further lead, but they are mentioned in the copyright notices (which I can access).

You guys missed my point, and for that I apologize for not making myself clear. I bought the vita expecting an expansive library of games as good as the 3DS. You know, shooters, platformers, puzzle games and whatnot, turns out there is almost none of that.

In fact, turn based RPGs seem to be the only thing thats on there (Figuritively speaking). My issue is that I hate RPGs, Especially with anime characters, which I find extremely annoying. I have never played those types of games nor do i intend to. Everything else on the handheld revolves around Indies (Waste of time for the most part) and lazy ports of originally great games. And right now I only use my vita for playing old PS1 classics on the go. All I'm saying is, wheres the variety? I haven't picked up my vita in months! Sure games like Killzone and tearaway are really good but at the most I only wind up picking up 2 games for the thing in a year! I must be lost and I'm sure I look ignorant but I just don't see the appeal. If any of you can guide me to a legit selection of games that are genuinly interesting, have nothing to do with indies or RPGs. I would be glad to hear.

I'll try. Read this post. It even got a certification of no Japanese games from Satoshi Ookami.

I would like to add Velocity 2X, the Game of the year for Vita 2014 by Gamespot. And Uncharted seems like something that would fit you. How about Borderlands 2 and Need for speed most wanted?

I get the impression that you are allergic to everything that is the slightest related to anything Japanese or non-blockbuster more or less official productions. In that case I can only see CoD or Battlefield that suits your needs. And they are not for handhelds. Even Tetris is indie and therefor unacceptable in your point of view. You should really reconsider your stance. Or simply accept for yourself that handheld gaming simply is not for you.

just goes to show you how much Sony care for the vita. 

too focused on the PS4 now kind of Focused on the Vita, am I right?

Off-focused? Yep.

Is it though? Whenever I have used it, its never shown many people and I live in London, two of my neighbors have a Vita and I have never seen them on Near.

Anyway, Sony haven't said Near is being removed completely, only that a few features will be disabled.

Are you sure your friends have logged in to near during the last week? Because your presence on Near only lasts a week from the time you synced/logged in.

The problem with Near is not the concept and not really the app itself, but its poor integration and even poorer "marketing" of it. I have several IRL friends with Vita, and none of them uses near. A few didn't even know about its existence before I mentioned it.

Near should be much more integrated with the core system, it should be a foundation of Vita. And the in-game integration should be seamless and any interaction should take place within the game. Not like now that you have to halt the game to open a separate app to do things with it.

The standalone app should be like a supplement for those who are more curious about it and wanna come back to see who is around and watch old and new game goods for all games and manage setting. Like a focal point for anything with the Near function. The function itself should work anyway. So yeah, the execution could be better. 

Removing the geolocation feature nullifies the whole point with Near, and also kills at least one game which relies on it (Destiny of spirits, came out last year), so it is certainly not just "a few features will be disabled".

• Like 1

Near had a pretty awful interface when it launched. It was refined a couple times through updates and that helped. My main issue is that it's slow as hell. I have a wifi OG Vita and speed of Wifi makes no difference. Destiny of Spirits "hunting" does something fairly similar to what near does and does it much, much faster in-game. 

While I think Near has potential, I sure hope Sony is refining it to improve its usefulness.

I used YouTube on my Vita exactly twice. While I believe having a dedicated YouTube player on the Vita legitimizes the device as something that has been invested in, the fact that the backend of YouTube changes on a quite-frequent basis makes it hard to have a quality app without frequent QC. I'll have to launch the web browser and watch a video on YouTube through that. If it's bearable, then the app might just be redundant.

As someone that's run various aspects of businesses for a good chunk of my life, I can see the potential good if Sony is just focusing on what it wants to deliver. As a gamer, I'm skeptical of any "features" ever being removed via updates, especially if games *require* those updates to continue to function.

This is one of those wait-and-see moments. Time will tell if this is a good thing for Sonys support of the Vita or not. I'm not getting too worked up until after the update to see what really changes. Speculation doesn't upset me, facts do. Until it changes, it's all speculation.

It's pretty much the same problem the Wii U has: Not enough people are buying it because there aren't enough (mainstream) games because not enough people are buying it. But everyone who has it loves it.

Super smash bros and Mario Kart are not mainstream? No.. it's not the same with the wii u. People are just understanding there is no use buying a platform that will have the same games that the wii had

It's pretty much the same problem the Wii U has: Not enough people are buying it because there aren't enough (mainstream) games because not enough people are buying it. But everyone who has it loves it.

Super smash bros and Mario Kart are not mainstream? No.. it's not the same with the wii u. People are just understanding there is no use buying a platform that will have the same games that the wii had

I could say that I think that me and anyone who bought a PS3 and a certain number of games deserves to get a PS4 for free, and I'm sure I could easily get people to get behind that, but that doesn't make any of us less entitled.

That rebuttal falls apart when analyzed. In no way would anyone would think that it would be remotely possible to get a free $400 console just because we have bought a PS3 and games. Now that would be entitled. But asking for Sony to not close some apps that are clearly used with information backed up by others is entitled? Just leads back to the fact them seem to lazy to update to API. We are a small chunk of the community. The PS blog comments are on fire and people are very pissed. This it just you pushing an agenda of your own person feelings about it which equated to 'I don't use it, who cares. 'If it doesn't effect me then who cares.' There is a little bit of narcissism hidden in there by you.

I used YouTube on my Vita exactly twice. While I believe having a dedicated YouTube player on the Vita legitimizes the device as something that has been invested in, the fact that the backend of YouTube changes on a quite-frequent basis makes it hard to have a quality app without frequent QC. I'll have to launch the web browser and watch a video on YouTube through that. If it's bearable, then the app might just be redundant.

The web browser for Youtube straight up sucks or I would be less frustrated about it.

Edited by skateak
  • Like 1

That is weird. I live in Alaska and I find about 7 people within a 7-8 miles radius. To me it seemed like the more I searched it, the more people it would pick up on overtime. 

For everyone worried about Smart As, please note that another user has tested out using SkyHook to change his location and earn the Street Smart Stars in a relatively short amount of time. I'll be adding his instructions to my guide tomorrow. It took him about 7 hours to get all 100 stars, so y'all should be able to complete them before this change comes into effect (not that we know for sure that the changes will make the plat impossible, but better safe than sorry hey).

Edit: Instructions for SkyHook now added to the guide.

Awesome. Will be looking to start it up next week.

I agree with you besides the fact that you don't want a PS4. It really is an amazing console though.