Vita losing Youtube, Near and Maps In March Update.

skateak

I never really used Near, other than for trophy purposes. And the map ap I don't recall using at all. But Youtube? I use that all the time. My Vita is the only portable device I own, with streaming capabilities. And it was great for things like say, Golden Abyss' collectibles. When watching a video with the browser, if you go back to your game it closes the video in the process.. Meanwhile, the Youtube ap doesn't do that. Switching back and forth between a video and a game will no longer be a breeze, and that sucks. 

• Like 1

Glad I finally restarted my plat run on Smart As yesterday, I'll be doing the day skip thing on the clock for sure now.

i also did the near trophy while driving 30 KM from one city to another, stopping at each district and doing the area challenge, did 5 of them to get that trophy in about 30 minutes, while using my phone for a wifi hotspot, but now i know i will never get my angry birds plat which i've been working on for a while but than stopped for binding of isaac

Edited by barakmh

Why is everyone thinking and panicking Near is being removed, Near will still be available but with some features disabled.

Removing some apps that weren't used much, or work just as well inside the browser is hardly a death knell, Vita has loads of new games coming this year there might not be as many first-party titles but were still getting enjoyable and decent games! 

A lot of which can still be played on other platforms regardless.  Though having first-party support being cut isn't really a good thing at all either. Pretty much a reverse WII U situation.

Edited by kidhero99
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

XSeed been localizing good number of titles, be patient as they already registered more for translation

http://www.siliconera.com/2015/01/01/xseed-also-registered-domains-corpse-party-blood-drive-trails-cold-steel/

God Eater 2 Rage Burst also might make it this time

http://gematsu.com/2015/01/god-eater-2-rage-burst-second-trailer-released-english-subtitles

http://gematsu.com/2015/01/bandai-namco-trademarks-rage-burst-europe

Edited by Nelson_Otaku
  • Like 1

Meh. Maybe I'm only speaking for myself but it seems to me like the majority of people never use these features so there isn't a great loss.

I completely agree. I'm late to the party here, but the whole problem with the Vita was that Sony thought it would appeal to non-gamers as a sort of phone substitute.

Stick with the fans of the system, who are hardcore gamers, and you'll have much more success.

Eyyy u forgot CompHeart and Experience

Not if Compile Heart lets Vita Neptune ReBirth versions getting ported to PC

also was just mentioning big sellers who even won year awards, Compile Heart games hardly sold much on Vita in Japan. (half less in the West)

Edited by Nelson_Otaku

Not if Compile Heart lets Vita Neptune ReBirth versions getting ported to PC

also was just mentioning big sellers who even won year awards, Compile Heart games hardly sold much on Vita in Japan. (half less in the West)

Thats true I guess. 

But at least they're better than Squeenix, in terms of support. Also their Makai Shin Trillion series looks like something that I'll enjoy.

Topic related, I dunno about u guys but I'm kinda excited for this march update. PS4 got some cool stuffs. Hope it'll be the same for Vita, other than the removal of those hardly used apps lol

Also, I have a feeling that Rebirth 3 will stay. Well just a baseless confidence on my part.

Certainly a bad practice. If they added these apps in the first place they should have thought on a way to users actually use them, make them see any worth on it, not just release them and say "fuck it", and scrap them years later like it's happening right now. I'm not saying apps should be top priority either, but they have to deliver at least what they had It in mind when they added it in the first place, it was indeed poorly executed.

And honestly, what console/handhelds doesn't have apps nowadays? Specially YouTube or any other big ones out there. The last time I heard about apps/services being shut down on a console was last year for Wii (and its WiFi services as well!) if I remember correctly, that is after almost 10 years of service considering its launch date.

I'm not sure if I should call it laziness on their part, but rather their lack of action and wrong choices are certainly (and unfortunately) killing the Vita in the course of time.

I agree, why implement these apps in the first place if this is the route they're choosing after a short time? Even the 3DS has a YouTube App that isn't going away anytime soon. Overall, it's a shame that the Vita has been more or less abandoned by Sony.

Used near once and this dude with a frog avatar kept circling me and it scared my brother and I made lots of jokes about a literal frog man breaking into the house and murdering him. Other than that I don't care if it goes away, same with Youtube and Maps.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...