Possible Quote Bug

Go to solution Solved by BlindMango,

Since being a member, I've tried countless times to quote another members post using the quote button. Just recently I've decided to ask another member how to actually quote another member. They told me that a code will appear in the text box after clicking on the quote button, however I see no coding after clicking it. Only thing that happens after clicking the quote button, is a little loading symbol at the top of the screen, then it scrolls down and opens up a reply box at the bottom of the page. I've also posted afterwards, with no quote actually appearing in my text.

Is there something else I'm missing here? Or is this an actual bug I'm experiencing?

Since being a member, I've tried countless times to quote another members post using the quote button. Just recently I've decided to ask another member how to actually quote another member. They told me that a code will appear in the text box after clicking on the quote button, however I see no coding after clicking it. Only thing that happens after clicking the quote button, is a little loading symbol at the top of the screen, then it scrolls down and opens up a reply box at the bottom of the page. I've also posted afterwards, with no quote actually appearing in my text.

Is there something else I'm missing here? Or is this an actual bug I'm experiencing?

works fine for me, what browser you using?

I'm not sure then. Maybe someone else will know more about why I can't, but you can.

Possibly something to do with you being on a phone, or that I think my Windows is 8 while yours is 8.1. (Not really sure if the .1 in 8.1 is just an update though)

I've had issues with quoting before on both Firefox and Chrome. I'll hit the quote button and it will take me to the reply box at the bottom of the page but no quoted text will be there. Hitting the quote button on the post again generally works for me though. 

Parker

I've had issues with quoting before on both Firefox and Chrome. I'll hit the quote button and it will take me to the reply box at the bottom of the page but no quoted text will be there. Hitting the quote button on the post again generally works for me though. 

Parker

I'm guessing that's a failed jquery call, and I'm guessing there's also a timeout.

This is the script that does most of the quote stuff AFAIK:

https://psnprofiles.com/forums/public/js/ipb.js

The text editor used:

http://ckeditor.com/

You may want to check if there is any issues with Invision Powered Board or maybe CKEditor with your setup/client.

You should also try to clear you web browser's cache, and make sure JavaScript and jquery etc is allowed.

Edited by MMDE

The site is not optimized for Internet Explorer because it is such an outdated and trashy browser. Use Chrome or Firefox for increased speed and functionality. Not only with this site.

Damn, Internet Explorer works just fine for me as is.

To be perfectly blunt: Obviously it doesn't work just fine. There are probably plenty of little things here and there all over the internet that you aren't experiencing as well as you probably could be and you just don't know it yet.

Edited by BeautifulTorment

• Solution

Internet Explorer is simply so messed up that I think at this point Sly rarely barely bothers with keeping up with it for the tiny things it doesn't display correctly for the main site. For the forum software, the company that developed it (IP.Board) doesn't keep up with IE much either which in this case is the issue you're experiencing, lol - Chrome or FIrefox is your best bet at the moment. Microsoft is planning on trashing Internet Explorer and replacing it with a browser currently known as "Project Spartan" for when Windows 10 releases, hopefully that browser won't suck, lol

Sadly I can't use quotes in this post... obviously

I'm just going to mark BlindMango as the "Solver" of the problem due to the amount of provided info on the matter.

@beautifultorment - It works fine in the sense of what I use my laptop for. Which is mostly just gaming related searches and college. It's the first time I've actually liked Internet Explorer, and that's just simply because of how the tabs and settings are laid out on my laptop. Usually I only have bad experiences with IE and end up just downloading Firefox, which I might just end up doing anyways.

@MMDE -  I'd try doing what he suggested, but honestly, I'm lost as to what he's talking about. Which is kind of sad sense I'm in school for computer science... Granted I've only been doing it for 3 quarters now, so I'm sure I'll learn more later down the road.

@MMDE -  I'd try doing what he suggested, but honestly, I'm lost as to what he's talking about. Which is kind of sad sense I'm in school for computer science... Granted I've only been doing it for 3 quarters now, so I'm sure I'll learn more later down the road.

I didn't think you'd need to have a degree in computer science to understand what I said, but I guess I can try to explain what I meant better...

The first link was to the JavaScript I think handles the quote function, which I'm pretty sure is a part of IPB (forum software). I'm sure it relies on for example jQuery, which is a JavaScript library of functions (code) for Ajax functionality. Ajax allow for sending and receiving data in the background without needing to refresh the page. In this case, the jQuery library that is included is hosted by google.

If that made you not understand much, then the point is that there may be some issues between your web browser and what I described above. I doubt jQuery is the problem. I think it's more about the IPB, how it uses these things and issues your web browser has with this. I think you should look into if this is some kind of typical issue with IPB and your web browser and configuration etc. A hard refresh / clearing your web browser's cache may also do wonders. Else there could be something about the text editor part, the box you write comments in, called CKEditor, which is where the quote is supposed to appear, but I kind of doubt that's the issue.

Thanks for the additional information MMDE. The Wiki links are helpful as well.

What I meant by not understanding what you were talking about, is in regards to the amount of "terms" used that I personally am unfamiliar with (not that a degree is needed to understand them). I'm still a newb in a sense when it comes to anything outside of search engines, and basic text and picture coding.

I used Internet Explorer for a year or so on this site and couldn't quote anybody, I thought it was just my account being buggy.

Using Chrome currently and quotes now work fine, strange how some things work on the internet.

I ended up downloading Firefox so i can use this quote feature. Sadly, PSNP and ONLY PSNP is loading slower on Firefox than Internet Explorer.

Can't win for loosing here. A viscous cycle until the end lol.