Harder or Easier than Dark Souls?

GaryHyphenJon

• 4 months later...

I don't mind the story too much. Harkyn is so dull though.

After playing all the Souls games I'm finding the slowness of the fighting odd, still fun though.

I haven't played enough of it to give a fair judgement in comparing the difficulties, but so far it's not like you walk around button mashing and be OP. Enemies can deal some heavy damage. I'm expecting it to be like DS though, tough at first because you're learning enemy patterns and such, and when you get to NG+ and know your way around and how to deal with certain situations, you get by a lot easier than you did the first time. That's what I expect, we will see though.

I agree with MMDE, I played Demon Souls and kind of put it away after Pha****, then a few months later did a couple more bosses before being repeatedly cheap shotted by those damn Maneaters....... Ugh. Then again, a few months later I picked it up again (after just platinuming Dark Souls) and couldn't put it down, platinumed it that week... But currently, I havent even beaten Lords of the Fallen, as I am stuck on a boss (maybe the Worshipper) and I just rage quit after a few dozen tries. Its weird in my opinion coming from the Souls games to LotF, it seems slower and it almost seems as if the parry times are off from what they would be if it was a Souls game.
Not to hijack the topic but are there any tips for The Worshipper? He is probably the only thing standing between me and this games end and possible platinum,

Not to hijack the topic but are there any tips for The Worshipper? He is probably the only thing standing between me and this games end and possible platinum,

1. What gave me a lot of trouble, is the EMP attack which he will use after you take off his first section of health, no matter where I went in the area, it was an instant kill, dead on the spot. How you survive is by standing in the little building things that are around the map, they have a light inside them so you should spot them pretty easily.

2. He spawns two pods which after a set amount of time, spawns an enemy each, shoot magic at these pods to prevent an enemy from spawning from them. You can run up to them but shooting them with magic is a lot quicker.

3. The little buildings I mentioned above, if you lure the boss towards them and wait for him to slam his weapon down, he will destroy the building, try to run out of the building before he destroys it otherwise you will be stunned, he will stun himself from breaking these buildings and thus leaving him open to plenty of attacks. Be careful though, if you let him destroy all these buildings and he does an EMP attack, you have no safe zone. These 'safe zone' can be used to hide from other attacks, like when the spikes come up from the ground and when he throws bombs out you, it will not protect you from melee attacks though.

I think that's the main things to look out for, hopefully I made some sense to you and it helps, if not let me know, I'd happy to answer any questions if you don't understand something I said.

Good luck! 

• Like 1

story is meh, sound quality/acting is meh

However, I liked the play style.

I tried dark souls, demons souls and I didn't like them at all.

After I 100% the game, I will start bloodborne

Why would you start Bloodborne if you didn't like Demon's Souls or Dark Souls? Aside from not having a shield, they're basically the same game.

Is Lords of the Fallen similar to souls games? I wouldn't mind giving it a go if it was.

• 4 weeks later...

Why would you start Bloodborne if you didn't like Demon's Souls or Dark Souls? Aside from not having a shield, they're basically the same game.

Is Lords of the Fallen similar to souls games? I wouldn't mind giving it a go if it was.

I know this is a late reply but nobody answered you so I figured I would since I just started the game a couple days ago. The game is a lot like the 'Souls' games. If I had to make a comparison to the similarities it would be like how Dante's Inferno is like God of War. All the gameplay and other basic elements are the same but the story is presented in a different way. I paid around $26 when the game was on sale a month or two ago and think it was worth that. The only glitch I ran into is all of the dialog lost it's sound but it was fixed when I saved and rebooted the game.   

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

It's a pretty fun game, just make sure you understand that the game is dead serious on patterns. Most enemies will do the same move over and over until you do the proper attack that counters it.

I didn't play in awhile, but for example there's these enemies with shields and the only way to hit them is to run and jump attack, because you'll hurt them in there attack animation, aside from doing that if you hit them it's pretty much luck, they'll just sit there with the shield up.

Edited by Tomoko Kuroki

For me, this game is way easier than the Souls games, but like the Souls games, it comes down to finding a build and weapon upgrades that work well for you. I'm on my first playthrough, and just beat the Brothers boss, so only the final boss is left. So far I haven't died once to a boss (it did get close during the Brothers).

My build:

Warrior / Brawling

Strength 28

Vitality 22

Faith 15

Endurance 22

Agility 8

Luck 0

I've left agility and luck at their defaults and upped faith to 15 to be able to get all brawling spells. I took the time to explore the world a bit and always killed everything. That gave me tons of XP and I leveled strength, vitality and endurance together up until 22. After that I only upped strength. If I would change something, it would probably be to have leveled up strength faster, and left vitality and endurance at either 18 or 20.

In combat, I mostly fight with a sword that has a good luck rune on it. Two-hand it and a running heavy attack will pretty much demolish everything in one and sometimes two hits (even the shielded enemies). For the wraiths (the blue ones), I've used the sword from the Warrior Judge statue with a flawless luck rune.

I'm loving this game, by the way. Can't wait for the sequel. :-)

For me, this game is way easier than the Souls games, but like the Souls games, it comes down to finding a build and weapon upgrades that work well for you. I'm on my first playthrough, and just beat the Brothers boss, so only the final boss is left. So far I haven't died once to a boss (it did get close during the Brothers).

My build:

Warrior / Brawling

Strength 28

Vitality 22

Faith 15

Endurance 22

Agility 8

Luck 0

I've left agility and luck at their defaults and upped faith to 15 to be able to get all brawling spells. I took the time to explore the world a bit and always killed everything. That gave me tons of XP and I leveled strength, vitality and endurance together up until 22. After that I only upped strength. If I would change something, it would probably be to have leveled up strength faster, and left vitality and endurance at either 18 or 20.

In combat, I mostly fight with a sword that has a good luck rune on it. Two-hand it and a running heavy attack will pretty much demolish everything in one and sometimes two hits (even the shielded enemies). For the wraiths (the blue ones), I've used the sword from the Warrior Judge statue with a flawless luck rune.

I'm loving this game, by the way. Can't wait for the sequel. :-)

I put a decent amount of points on luck when I was playing but I really didn't notice a difference in the shard pickups. It was actually a waste of points.

Edited by skateak

Yeah, I have no idea what luck does. Maybe it increases the rate for small shard drops, but I got plenty of those too. Besides, it's the large ones that will make a difference as you want some flawless ones.

As far as I've understood, using the upgraded Curse sword for a while will permanently give you up to 10 luck (while the unupgraded sword apparently takes up to 10 luck away permanently). I didn't try it because I didn't have the agility for it. I'm starting a rogue today. Guess I'll try it with him.

The final part of the game was a serious difficulty spike, by the way, sheesh. How is the rhogar invasion even a thing?

Edit: Luck definitely affects drops. Rogues start out with 3 luck and I'm getting WAY more drops than on my 0 luck warrior.

Edited by Such-A-Goonie

I've just gotten the platinum. I haven't played the DLC yet, but I want to play through the game again with a new character that I'll try to finish NG, NG+ and NG++ with, so I'll play it with that one. Should be fun. :-)

Some tips: Agility is the better option over strength. If you look at raw power, strength will win, but the weapons you'll be using (Last Will, probably in end game) are really slow and you need quite a lot of endurance to be able to pull off the double hit (which you want, as the second blow does the real damage). Agility weapons are just way faster (duh), but you also have better elemental options.

The best agility staff (Ishaluk) has built-in poison damage but it also has three slots. Put your best luck runes in there and you'll be OP as hell. The upgraded Curse shortswords simply demolish the blue wraiths that you can only hit with magic damage. In the Chamber of Lies, there's a staff named Unity that does lightning damage. That comes in handy when fighting Annihilator.

Faith is a useless stat. I tried playing the warrior, rogue and cleric with their designed stats (strength, agility and faith), but I restarted my cleric at the guardian boss. There just aren't any good faith weapons and using magic is very slow and just not much fun (at least for me).

Combat tip: boost your stat of choice to 34 or 36 as soon as you can and two handed jump attack through the game.

• 2 months later...

I know this is a late reply but nobody answered you so I figured I would since I just started the game a couple days ago. The game is a lot like the 'Souls' games. If I had to make a comparison to the similarities it would be like how Dante's Inferno is like God of War. All the gameplay and other basic elements are the same but the story is presented in a different way. I paid around $26 when the game was on sale a month or two ago and think it was worth that. The only glitch I ran into is all of the dialog lost it's sound but it was fixed when I saved and rebooted the game.   

Dante's Inferno to God of War... great analogy! Loved Dante's Inferno, by the way!  :)

• 5 months later...

I just started and I have to say it's harder than a Souls game.  Why?   It's a god awful horrible experience to play through.   It's soooo slow and clunky, the camera is all over the place and button inputs are beyond excruciating, hit-boxes are reminiscent of a Plessy hip-check...   I could say the game looks decent blah blah, but really, regretting even starting it, just awful so far.   I can see why this was a Plus game!

I just started and I have to say it's harder than a Souls game.  Why?   It's a god awful horrible experience to play through.   It's soooo slow and clunky, the camera is all over the place and button inputs are beyond excruciating, hit-boxes are reminiscent of a Plessy hip-check...   I could say the game looks decent blah blah, but really, regretting even starting it, just awful so far.   I can see why this was a Plus game!

Just to clarify my own post, I didn't give LotF a chance, just got the plat and honestly enjoyed it.   It's no where near as hard as a Souls game, albeit I don't think Souls games are that hard anyway, but once I got past some of it's glaring flaws, and got used to the combat, which comes away as ok (kinda let's the game down at times), amongst many other things that could be improved, it was decent, not a bad attempt at a soulslike.   Big Cat Logan made me laugh.  :)

No idea what is happening with LotF2, but if they can vastly improve some key factors of the game I'd be interested.