Which DLC do you prefer?

Dreakon139

Which kind of DLC do you prefer?  

33 members have voted

1. 1. Which kind of DLC do you prefer?

• Large, expansion pack-style DLC.
    • Smaller, cheaper map packs and addons.

I was just reading the news on Skyrims DLC announcement and it made me realize something. Not a ton of developers do the whole big expansion pack thing anymore. It used to be pretty much the only kind of addon you'd get with games. Rockstar still does it (to an extent, mainly just the two biggies with GTA4), Bethesda still does it. Most others go the route of addon game modes, map packs and smaller knick knacks to enjoy for a smaller price... usually.

That said, which do you prefer? The big, grand expansion pack-style DLC (usually costing around $20) or the smaller kinds of DLC (maybe costing around $5 to $10 each)?

It depends on the type of game for me. Personally, racing games are by far my favorite genre of video game, specifically the Gran Turismo series. I prefer racing games to release DLC in smaller bits so I can tune the 5 or 6 cars to my liking and have a good time with them before the next batch of cars gets released which I'll have to tun as well.

However, in open world singleplayer games I prefer the Rockstar & Bethesda way of releasing DLC with big expansions and a lot of content.

Parker

• Like 1

EA have just released the Euro 2012 expansion for FIFA12 - at £16 its not what you would call a small add-on.

I am not sure which I go for.

I like the expansions on Borderlands, and the Surf Island in Burnout Paradise - but I didnt really enjoy TBOGT in GTA4 - didnt do the biker one.

But I also liked cars in Dirt3, GT5 and NFS HP........

So I think I will just sit on the fence on this one and buy what takes my fancy when the time comes!

• 2 weeks later...

Plus it can add something to the game, rather than just a costume, etc. that is just purely cosmetic.

Just to play devil's advocate, some people might prefer purely cosmetic DLC. Stuff you don't feel forced to buy in order to continue the story or level your character further, but stuff that you only buy because it appeals to you personally. :)

Just to play devil's advocate, some people might prefer purely cosmetic DLC. Stuff you don't feel forced to buy in order to continue the story or level your character further, but stuff that you only buy because it appeals to you personally. :)

Yeah that's understandable, I suppose it would be annoying if say for example, they release a new story based DLC for a game you've already traded in.

• 2 months later...

Although I don't buy DLC much, the ones I definitely like are Single-Player Expansions. Not stupid add-ons to the story almost like Harley Quinns Revenge. I might shed a few bucks on The Missing Link soon for Deus Ex as I highly enjoyed the game. Definitely only get DLC for games that are worth it.

No DLC is the ideal DLC.

Out of curiosity, why? I understand the problem with release day DLC, or extremely close to release, but what is the problem with updating a game months or even years after it releases with new content?

Parker

Out of curiosity, why? I understand the problem with release day DLC, or extremely close to release, but what is the problem with updating a game months or even years after it releases with new content?

Parker

There is often such little effort put into these things, and it is often overpriced. I'd rather they focus their attention on fixing bugs, the odd little freebie, and new installments to the series.

EA's shooters still do it. For BF3 there is 4 months in between each dlc.

And Dead Island took like 2 years for its second dlc to come out.

And LBP 2 is still updating with dlcs and content.

But it's because its more profitable, if you were the one making the game you'd want the most money for your time. In 2 years you don't want to be working on the same game that 75% of the people don't play anymore. You want to be working on your next project, something that people will play, more people.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It depends on the game. GTA i want something big while on like a racing game I want something smaller. GTA I was missions cars everything but on racing games oh yeah I want that new track, but I don't want those cars cause my upgraded car is already better....

You know what I mean?

You do realize Dead Island only came out last fall, right?

I don't really have a preference in regards to the choices given. However, the ONLY DLC I purchase are for games I really like, and they have to actually offer something unique or add to the already played game. Large or small, I will not buy DLC just for a percentage rating or trophies.

• 3 weeks later...