Favorite Video Game Hub Worlds/Towns/Cities

Xel

One of my favorite things in video games, especially RPGs, is exploring the various towns or cities. I don't know why I love it so much, I guess its the immersion factor, settlements are usually the areas in games that feel most alive and lived in.

Now this isn't talking about cities like the ones in GTA, Cracktown, etc. This is talking about the cities and hubs that are contained within a larger area, usually an open world, but not always. Generally, these places are non-hostile, and you won't get into battles here. They're usually have a fair interactive element as well.

These settlements also usually serve as an area to receive and carry out sidequests. One reason I love towns is because the quests you get in the cities are usually much different ones you'd get in the rest over the world. They serve as a break and a deviation from the standard gameplay of the game and add some variety.

There are many things that can make a town good or bad but it's mostly subjective.

Some of my favorite:

markarth.jpg

Markarth: This town from Skyrim is one of my favorites. The aesthetic is phenomenal in my opinion where it feels and looks like it was carved out of a landscape. The city is unique and isn't cookie cutter and I found myself finding new things and areas every time I explored it.

Bloodborne-Enviro-Vid_02-11-15.jpg

Hunter's Dream: Obscure and mysterious. Also beautiful. A mesmerizing place which is very fitting for a game where your only option in it is to survive.

Traverse_Town.jpg

Traverse Town: The only place that comes to mind when I was a kid which is traverse town. I still reminisce to the theme song of this place, it's exceedingly beautiful. The first Kingdom Hearts will always be known for this town.

So what are your favorite Hub worlds in video games?

Edited by the_drag0n2
  • Like 2

One of my favorites is Columbia from BioShock infinite. I love the idea of a floating city, I love the government corruption, and I especially the parallel universes and tears created by Elizabeth in the game. Overall just a crazy world that just somehow works out to be so engaging and interesting.

I can't believe I haven't played it yet, I keep hearing amazing stuff about that city. I'll probably get to it after I finish my never ending backlog.

Edited by Xeliot

Oh I remember this one. Such a classic!

Right?! Ahh good times. :)

I can't believe I haven't played it yet, I keep hearing amazing stuff about that city. I'll probably will get to it after I finish my never ending backlog.

You're not alone, I just finished 2, and am waiting to play infinite for the game group I was invited to.

And I've noticed that I don't mind having a backlog as much anymore, because I know I'll always have something great to play! :)

• Like 1

745648-08.jpg

The Nexus from Demon Souls. It's quite surprisingly homely, an constant and safe zone, perhaps the only so in the entire game. Although it's an safe area, I can feel the depressing aura of death, especially with several NPC's popping in and hiding there the remainder of the game, never daring to leave, trapped, forever. 

seaqs2.jpg

If you recognize this, kudos to you. Room 302 from Silent Hill 4 is an safe haven from the horrors out in SIlent Hill. Although throughout the game, it slowly becomes more and more hostile, with various haunting and scares. By the endgame, the safe haven is no longer safe.

• Like 4

745648-08.jpg

The Nexus from Demon Souls. It's quite surprisingly homely, an constant and safe zone, perhaps the only so in the entire game. Although it's an safe area, I can feel the depressing aura of death, especially with several NPC's popping in and hiding there the remainder of the game, never daring to leave, trapped, forever. 

seaqs2.jpg

If you recognize this, kudos to you. Room 302 from Silent Hill 4 is an safe haven from the horrors out in SIlent Hill. Although throughout the game, it slowly becomes more and more hostile, with various haunting and scares. By the endgame, the safe haven is no longer safe.

Oh God I remember that room! I never felt safe in there! Lol

Obviously Spiral Mountain and Grunty's Lair from Banjo Kazooie. Delfino Plaza from Super Mario Sunshine was pretty great too, as was Super Mario 64. I also had a lot of fun exploring Diddy Kong Racings world.

Edited by BhekifaZ

These are a few of my favourites, and in no particular order.

The Nexus  (Demon's Souls)

The Nexus was such a strange, and at the same time peaceful place. Upon first dying in Demon's Souls, your soul is trapped here, and you cannot escape until the Old One is lulled back to slumber. You aren't alone here. Many other poor souls have found themselves trapped in The Nexus as well, and they'll either help you by selling, repairing, and forging new weapons, spells, and miracles, to help you in slaying the demons plaguing the land of Boletaria (and eventually confront the Old One), offer to lighten your load and store anything you don't need to bring along with you, and one sad maiden will use the souls you've collected on your journey to further strengthen you.

Picture and theme below~

CqHoAxq.jpg

Town of Carona (Threads of Fate/Dewprism)

It's here that you meet the second playable character, as well as a friendly father, mother, and daughter who are more than happy to help you after you rescue them out in the Corona Forest. There's a hotel right across from them, and its owner even lets you stay, for as long as you like and for free. You can also find a bar towards the back end of the town, a large church (which honestly made me kind of uncomfortable!), a shop that sells upgrades to your attack and defense, and a couple of other hidden areas as well~ 

I can't find any decent screenshots of it, but I've still shared the theme below~

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iPMksnJoZps

The Imperial City (The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion)

Despite any crime, conspiracies, the prudish upper class, or even the ever present Imperial Legion, I always find myself relaxed and almost... at peace whenever I wander through the streets of the Imperial City. Whether it's during the day or night, in the heart of the city or near the waterfront, wandering through the streets, or sneaking through the back alleys, I've loved every moment I've spent here.

It doesn't hurt that Oblivion has some beautiful music, and one of my favourite tracks tends to play quite often while I'm here. Maybe that's why I'm so fond of it.

3smOkSi.jpg

Edited by Bubblegum
  • Like 1

The Imperial City (The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion)

Despite any crime, conspiracies, the prudish upper class, or even the ever present Imperial Legion, I always find myself relaxed and almost... at peace whenever I wander through the streets of the Imperial City. Whether it's during the day or night, in the heart of the city or near the waterfront, wandering through the streets, or sneaking through the back alleys, I've loved every moment I've spent here.

It doesn't hurt that Oblivion has some beautiful music, and one of my favourite tracks tends to play quite often while I'm here. Maybe that's why I'm so fond of it.

3smOkSi.jpg

What makes Oblivion so special in my opinion is how tranquil it is.  ^_^

• Like 1

Skyrim would be too, but the most immersive has to be FFXIV: ARR hands down

FEITAob.jpg

Limsa_Lominsa_ARR.jpg

4bb35c88778783bb2df9adaff310c742c5d93d2c

of course, this is just limsa lominsa, there are so many worlds populated and doing their own stuff

https://www.youtube.com/R_aliYN8hNk?t=1m47s

might be a old trailer ^ but the game got better when you can own your own house; probably now even more worlds and features are added as we speak; especially the upcoming Heavensward

Edited by Smushpie

EDIT: I swear one of these freakin pictures is going to work for Cappadocia...

Cave city of Cappadocia from Assassin's Creed Revelations. I absolutely loved this area.

0497b9da16dc314f894980feee24628b.jpg

This particular spot is Havana from Assassin's Creed IV Black Flag, but in all honesty I love every area that has a tropical setting. (I blame this on the fact that as someone who was born in the north, tropical areas are paradise to me.)

20.png

Edited by Avatar_Of_Battle

Bioshock infinite Columbia

Such a beautiful

Demon Soul The Nexus

The only safe place in demon sou,l you can purchase weapon,armor items and upgrade weapons you can learn new spells and miracles the best part is leveling up your character and using the duplicate souls trick

Final Fantasy VII - Wutai

Wutai.jpg

My god! this place, brings back so many good memories.

Rogue Galaxy has the best ones for me. Literally every town in the game is great. All well designed, great music, and lots to do.

Also, Modnation Racers' Modspot is cool.

I always thought Rogue Galaxy an underrated 1st party game.

• Like 2