How do you feel about the latest DLC pricing?

ZeroXOF

In an interview with Luke Smith (A guy who works at Bungie), Eurogamer asks questions on the pricing and what's in store for Destiny.

Eurogamer: So it may seem like a small thing but you're adding exclusive content to the game - three new dance emotes - that players can't get unless they rebuy the main game and the two existing DLCs. Is that right?

Luke Smith: There is no way right now for you to get the new dance emotes without doing that. Those are Collector's Edition exclusive. We've set some stuff aside for that edition specifically to really make it appeal to fans who have engaged with the game already and also to people that will enter the game this autumn.

Eurogamer: Can you see that some fans are confused that you're asking them to buy stuff they already own?

Luke Smith: Yeah, I can totally empathise with those people. But the Collector's Edition is a pretty cool package for people who want to pursue that stuff. Otherwise, surely what you're saying is that you would want to buy them separately, right?

Eurogamer: Well, yeah. I would rather do that - pay a few pounds or dollars or whatever - than spend money on things I already own.

Luke Smith: [Laughs] Well, we have nothing more to talk about regarding your opportunity to spend extra money in Destiny, other than The Taken King and the three versions we've announced.

Eurogamer: Is Bungie considering selling customisation items such as this separately? Or is that against the studio's philosophy for the game?

Luke Smith: Rather than comment on the Bungie philosophy, here's what I'll tell you. If someone made a golf clap emote, I would spend money on that. Like when someone falls in the Vault of Glass. At the moment I bow when I'm trying to mess with them. So... I empathise with some of the things you're saying.

Eurogamer: I feel like you should put some of these things that you are empathising with into practice.

Luke Smith: We have nothing to announce today. We're reading the forums and the reactions to this week's announcements. We will continue to discuss player feedback with respect to the the game and Collector's Edition content.

Read more at Eurogamer: http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2015-06-22-destiny-the-taken-king-director-defends-40-expansion-price-tag

Are you happy to pay the asking price for The Taken King DLC? 

Edited by ZeroXOF

Although it's a really small feature, I do see this possible growing in the future, and it's stupid. They are just turning fans away from buying day one since it's better to wait a year or you might miss out on something. I feel the same about pre-order bonuses. No matter what edition you have, you should be able to buy all the content available for the game at any time it's available without having to rebuy the game or the system. Simple.

I haven't even answered my own question, lol. 

To be honest, I'll buy the game in the future when a true game of the year edition comes out. I think the game is great but clearly hit with the "rip out and charge as DLC" plague. I also feel Bungie have changed for the worse since leaving MS (My opinion) and are clearly set to make as much money while not putting in the effort. Maybe I'm wrong and the next DLC will be a gut buster but for now, I'll just wait. Also making DLC for a year exclusive kills the game for me. 

I loved Destiny, it's not as bad as people say, but this shit is pure SCAM, and it doesn't even have trophies...

Actually, they said they were adding trophies to this DLC. As far as the 40$ price tag for a god damn DLC is just outrageous though. Not to mention they are fishing for people to buy it for the stupid Dance emotes. No thanks dude. I dont wanna spend more money on another damn copy of the game for a couple of stupid emotes. If anything me and my friends will go halves on it and share it.

Edited by det0xxp

Actually, they said they were adding trophies to this DLC. As far as the 40$ price tag for a god damn DLC is just outrageous though. Not to mention they are fishing for people to buy it for the stupid Dance emotes. No thanks dude. I dont wanna spend more money on another damn copy of the game for a couple of stupid emotes. If anything me and my friends will go halves on it and share it.

Good to know, i still don't gonna buy this, maybe later for a cheaper price

I would honestly not mind buying the Collector's Edition of a game I already own. Hell, I own both regular version and the Komplete Edition of Mortal Kombat. I enjoy collecting special editions of video games.

DLC's for the most part are a scam. I will never pay for them unless they come with a GOTY edition which oddly enough are usually cheaper than if you bought the DLC's separately. You dont like how DLC's are handled right now? Stop buying them and contributing to the problem. 

DLC is literally no different from disc-based expansions for games like Diablo or World of Warcraft. If DLC is a scam, so is a disc-based expansion pack.

Edited by AnimeDreama
  • Like 1

DLC's for the most part are a scam. I will never pay for them unless they come with a GOTY edition which oddly enough are usually cheaper than if you bought the DLC's separately. You dont like how DLC's are handled right now? Stop buying them and contributing to the problem. 

For some games, it is. For games like Fallout 3, it isn't. 

I loved Destiny, it's not as bad as people say, but this shit is pure SCAM, and it doesn't even have trophies...

The Taken King has been confirmed to have trophies. 

If you want it that much, sell the version you already bought and buy the new collectors version.

Unfortunately, you can't sell the digital add-ons which is what all the fuss is over. Bungie is making people re-buy content that they already have in order to get the emotes, class armor and shaders.

The Taken King is a standalone title with its own trophy list. We don't yet know what the trophies will be if you already own Destiny, but I'm assuming it won't get a separate Platinum.  I misinterpreted the phrase "standalone expansion", which in this case means "you need to buy this too." The Taken King requires Destiny + two current expansions, which means the trophies will be a DLC list.

I like Destiny, despite the ball-ache grind. If you've bought Destiny and the two previous expansions, The Taken King is half-price. On a cost-per-hour basis, you get a fair bit of bang for your buck, far more than your average single-player game.

Also keep in mind that this expansion adds a new sub-class to each Guardian, which changes gameplay for all of the original Destiny content and mixes things up significantly in the Crucible. So it's much better value than The Dark Below and House of Wolves combined.

As far as the emotes go (or the Sparrow, Emblem and Shader founding Destiny players get), Bungie can shove them up their arse. Who gives a flying fuck about a dance emote? It's purely cosmetic and makes no impact on gameplay. I don't want them and I don't use them. To think that people will go out and buy the Collector's Edition for 3 x 3 second animation loops is ludicrous.

In games like World of Warcraft or Guild Wars, something like that might be considered "impressive", but no-one gives two shits what anyone else's avatar is wearing or doing in Destiny, other than what perks they bring to the table. Gear is bland and generic - the only thing that matters is whether or not your gear is useful (or dominant) for a specific game mode like Raids, Prison of Elders or the Crucible.

On the other hand, if there was a teabag emote where you could dangle your scrotum on another player's forehead in PvP, I'm sure that'd sell the Collector's Edition by the millions...

Edited by ant1th3s1s
  • Like 2

The Taken King is a standalone title with its own trophy list. We don't yet know what the trophies will be if you already own Destiny, but I'm assuming it won't get a separate Platinum.

Do you have a link? I haven't seen anything saying one way or the other.

As of right now, I've seen that TTK is going to be sold as a $40 digital expansion, a $60 goty or legendary edition that comes with the base game and all three expansions and the CE which is the same as the goty edition plus emotes, shaders, class armor with xp buffs and the strange coin replica for $80. All of them build on the vanilla game and why I'm thinking the trophies will be added to the base game as dlc.

Do you have a link? I haven't seen anything saying one way or the other.

As of right now, I've seen that TTK is going to be sold as a $40 digital expansion, a $60 goty or legendary edition that comes with the base game and all three expansions and the CE which is the same as the goty edition plus emotes, shaders, class armor with xp buffs and the strange coin replica for $80. All of them build on the vanilla game and why I'm thinking the trophies will be added to the base game as dlc.

There's lots of sources claiming it's standalone, but you're right...it's a standalone "bundle", including the original Destiny + previous expansions. I checked the official Destiny site to be sure. The trailer also states "Destiny game, Expansions I & II required to play". That absolutely lends itself to a DLC trophy list.

I was somewhat concerned when I read the phrase "standalone expansion" as Bungie were supposed to be supporting the core Destiny title for 10 years. It actually comes as a relief that it's a "bundle" package for newcomers, or a "standalone expansion" for existing players. All that means is we have to pay for The Taken King on top of our existing Destiny purchase.

Misinformation...gotta love it!

Edited by ant1th3s1s
  • Like 1

Luke Smith's apology and Bungie's pricing fix for the TTK CE.

Bungie Weekly Update – 06/24/2015

https://www.bungie.net/7_Bungie-Weekly-Update--06242015/en/News/News?aid=13090

by DeeJ

This week at Bungie, we’re working hard to fix what’s wrong with the Collector’s Editions for The Taken King. You’ve voiced your objections. We agree wholeheartedly. Now, our attention is focused on creating solutions. These things take time, so pardon our silence these past few days. In moments like these, actions speak louder than words.

In developing The Taken King, one of our goals has been to celebrate you and your triumphs. E3 was a place to reveal the new adventures we hope to send you on, but our conversations there didn’t do justice to our plans to honor your legacy.

Don’t take it from me. Here are some words from Luke Smith:

I am Luke Smith, Creative Director on Destiny: The Taken King.

Many, many years ago, I wrote to you each week in this spot. We talked about Battle Rifles, we talked about stuff we weren't going to talk about, and at some point I did a horrible hand-drawing of an upcoming map and teased you with it in the Weekly Update.

Anyone who knows me knows I can be sarcastic, anyone who remembers podcasts I've done knows that I can be pretty blunt, and anyone who’s watched me in a ViDoc knows I'm pretty unpolished.

However, most of you don't know me.

Reading my interview with Eurogamer and imagining it came from some random developer of a game I love - that random developer looks like an Asshat.

But that Asshat was me - and those words rightfully anger you.

I'm sorry.

My words made it sound as if Bungie doesn't care about their most loyal fans.

We do care. We are listening. And we will make it right.

Here's what we're doing about the Collector's Edition of Destiny: The Taken King...

We’re actively working to make the digital content from the Collector’s Edition available in a $20 upgrade bundle (suggested retail price), available on 9/15/2015. If you purchase a stand-alone version of Destiny: The Taken King, or already have, you'll be able to pick up the digital items as soon as they are available.

The Taken King Collector’s Edition Digital Content consists of: (3) Class Specific Emotes, (3) Armor Shaders, and (3) Exotic Class Items with XP Bonuses.

If you have decided to pick up the Legendary Edition of Destiny: The Taken King at retail, you can also elect to pick this up if you want to upgrade into a Collector’s Edition.

If you purchased the existing Digital Collector’s Edition, and you already owned Destiny and both expansion packs, we’ll have some additional information for you soon.

If you want to get caught up on all of the options available for Destiny: The Taken King, you can view the details here. (Note: You won’t see the Collector’s Edition Upgrade we described above, yet. We’re working on it.)

For those looking for a little more context about Emotes and Class Items in The Taken King, we will be introducing new Class Items with stat attributes. These will provide players with another gear slot that can contribute to both your Guardian’s look and build preferences. The Class Items included in the Collector’s Edition are a welcome addition for players looking to level up newborn Guardians or fresh subclasses, but they are not the only new Class Items available in Destiny: The Taken King. This is part of our focus on making the game more rewarding and adding more variety options for players. The same goes for Emotes.

So, that’s what we’re doing about the Collector’s Edition. Here are some other questions, and answers, about some other topics many of you care about.

“Hey, I have Destiny and all its expansions. Do I really have to buy stuff I already own to play The Taken King?”

The Digital Download is for existing players who already own Destiny and both expansion packs, and are ready to jump straight into The Taken King this September.

“Hey, I’ve been here since day one. What do I get?”

If you already have a Light Level 30 Guardian, or if you’ve picked up and played both The Dark Below and House of Wolves, then you’re a VIP in The Tower’s book. They’ll reward you accordingly with a victory lap that will include a permanently exclusive set of items.

When you stride through the Tower, people are going to ask you where you got those wonderful toys. You’ll nod and let them know you earned them. It’s a Year One thing, and they just wouldn’t understand. And they won’t ever be able to get their hands on their own set.

And we’ll have more fun stuff for you to announce in the very short term future, just for you.

Thanks for caring enough to sound off. We heard the feedback, loud and clear. We’ll talk more soon.

To be continued…

This is part 1 of 2 of the Bungie Weekly Update. Tune in tomorrow for the usual fanfare, including a report from our friends on the Destiny Player Support team, the Movie of the Week, and more.

DeeJ, out. For now.

There's no use posting part 2 of 2 as Deej or Bungie never really hit on this subject again. I guess they felt like part 1 was enough misdirection to pacify everyone.

Edited by Rowdi