Warning for new users when starting topics

Unless you're some of Commie.  

Commie?

http://commiesubs.com/

Hopefully the upcoming design will reduce boosting threads:

iiZqniL.gif

Niiiiiice.

I really don't understand why threads like that bother people. i could understand why moderators would hate them being that the gaming sessions are the correct place and it creates work for them but they dont seem to affect random members. Why are these threads hated on psnprofiles?

Just to be clear; im not disagreeing with the idea or anything im just genuinly curious

Um... I would say it's not because of the threads, but because people are lazy to search.

I mean, consider the main menu, new users open the Forums bar but they don't open Gaming Sessions bar.

I personally dont use the gaming sessions so i would prefer to create a thread leaving my ID letting anyone whos interested know they can add me (as opposed to setting specific times, trophies, coming back to see if anyone is interested etc) but i know its against the rules so i just go to another forum where its allowed.

Care to elaborate? Why don't you like the idea of gaming sessions? Most sessions don't really care about times.

And they are set so you get notification anytime something happens.

EDIT: Also, with all the quotes, I forgot to post what I wanted, lol...

Can't we fix everything by sending an introductory/user activation e-mail to the new users? 

Something other forums/pages use. The common read the rules and so on, but instead of the common, adding this and some other rules?

Edited by Satoshi Ookami

I personally dont use the gaming sessions so i would prefer to create a thread leaving my ID letting anyone whos interested know they can add me (as opposed to setting specific times, trophies, coming back to see if anyone is interested etc) but i know its against the rules so i just go to another forum where its allowed.

You can do that with Gaming Sessions. Have you tried?

Easier and faster for who? Parker who has extra work to do to delete and/or warn these new people?

Or for the new people who have their threads locked and deleted and now have a bad impression of the site?

That is his job.

If they can't be bothered to read a short simple list the first time they come here, it's their fault and only their's that they are salty.

• Like 1

Commie?

http://commiesubs.com/

Niiiiiice.

Um... I would say it's not because of the threads, but because people are lazy to search.

I mean, consider the main menu, new users open the Forums bar but they don't open Gaming Sessions bar.

Care to elaborate? Why don't you like the idea of gaming sessions? Most sessions don't really care about times.

EDIT: Also, with all the quotes, I forgot to post what I wanted, lol...

Can't we fix everything by sending an introductory/user activation e-mail to the new users? 

Something other forums/pages use. The common read the rules and so on, but instead of the common, adding this and some other rules?

redscare-A.jpeg

Joe McCarthy approves this message

If a regular member makes the "Official Boosting Thread" and it looks fairly decent, meaning it is obvious that the thread is meant to help everyone instead of just advertising the OP's boosting session, I'll generally keep it up and pin it to the top. If the thread is titled "Official Boosting Thread" and the OP only mentions his boosting session and nothing about anyone else then it'll generally get deleted. 

Hopefully that clears it up a little bit.

Parker

Yeah, that clears it up. Thnx Parker, much appreciated.

ohk, i guess i can see how to people who use the forums regularly it would become quite annoying.

I just personaly like to leave my name and not have to check back at all, id rather just have someone add me and be like 'you free now?' rather than come back to a specific page and check if anyone is interested then add them and feel like i have to align to the set time. I guess for me its just easier to have the person on my friends list and be like 'oh hes playing that game! i should send him an invite'.

You can do that with Gaming Sessions. Have you tried?

Do you mean how you can click on a gaming session and leave your details? I have but the problem is that i dont usually buy games when they come out, id much prefer buy them when theyre down to $20 and by then the gaming sessions are mostly empty (or after a different trophy) so i usually have to create a gaming session myself and the last time i checked you couldnt create a gaming session wthout a quantity of details (which is the part i dont like).

ohk, i guess i can see how to people who use the forums regularly it would become quite annoying.

I just personaly like to leave my name and not have to check back at all, id rather just have someone add me and be like 'you free now?' rather than come back to a specific page and check if anyone is interested then add them and feel like i have to align to the set time. I guess for me its just easier to have the person on my friends list and be like 'oh hes playing that game! i should send him an invite'.

I wanted to say, why don't you create your own gaming session but then I saw the second reply so... refer to that part =D

Do you mean how you can click on a gaming session and leave your details? I have but the problem is that i dont usually buy games when they come out, id much prefer buy them when theyre down to $20 and by then the gaming sessions are mostly empty (or after a different trophy) so i usually have to create a gaming session myself and the last time i checked you couldnt create a gaming session wthout a quantity of details (which is the part i dont like).

Quantity of details? You just randomly select a few parameters and write "Time & Date are placeholders" and it works as a boosting thread.

• 6 months later...

Coming back here to support this suggestion once again with a slight addition. Make the popup obligatory for everyone, regardless if you have been here since day one or joined just now. The popup should be there for the first 5 threads you create from the moment this addition is made. Accepting the popup will reduce the count by one and when the counter reaches 0, you don't see the popup anymore. Any and every member that creates a boosting thread, even though accepted the popup once or five times, should get a warning point, no questions asked (rule pending). 

Surely the best way to reduce boosting threads is to offer the same functionality as a boosting thread elsewhere.

I understand that Gaming Sessions cover many bases, but they require much more granular management of requirements, and do not allow people to quickly and effectively see a list of people who are boosting a game to add.

I would suggest that in addition to the gaming sessions, functionality be created where each game gets a 'Boosting List' - a simple, non-expiring list that people can click to add their names to / remove their names from, that would cover the parts of a boosting thread that the specific 'sessions' don't.

there are many games i would boost if someone added me and requested to boost, but i am not actively checking the boosting sessions each day for all those games to see if a session is created, or creating one myself.

• Like 2

Surely the best way to reduce boosting threads is to offer the same functionality as a boosting thread elsewhere.

I understand that Gaming Sessions cover many bases, but they require much more granular management of requirements, and do not allow people to quickly and effectively see a list of people who are boosting a game to add.

I would suggest that in addition to the gaming sessions, functionality be created where each game gets a 'Boosting List' - a simple, non-expiring list that people can click to add their names to / remove their names from, that would cover the parts of a boosting thread that the specific 'sessions' don't.

there are many games i would boost if someone added me and requested to boost, but i am not actively checking the boosting sessions each day for all those games to see if a session is created, or creating one myself.

That level of non-commitment will generally result in worse turn-out than gaming sessions. For a gaming session, someone serious about boosting needs to seek out and sign up for one. For what you propose (which I actually like, I just know it will have bad results) it requires people to be responsible for keeping their information updated. Or then we will have threads about the false impression people will have about all the members who say they're willing to boost, but never respond or update their lists.

That level of non-commitment will generally result in worse turn-out than gaming sessions. For a gaming session, someone serious about boosting needs to seek out and sign up for one. For what you propose (which I actually like, I just know it will have bad results) it requires people to be responsible for keeping their information updated. Or then we will have threads about the false impression people will have about all the members who say they're willing to boost, but never respond or update their lists.

I think you overestimate the effectiveness of the current system.

Without a method of rating / blocking certain players it has become very difficult to use.

You need to set a number of people, but unfortunately, since you cannot tell who will actually bother to turn up, you need to add more slots than you actually have, which invariably means either too many people, so some people feel gipped hat they turned up and didn't get to boost, or people don't turn up still, since there is no way to track people who are no-shows from session to session.

Also, it is very disheartening to continually set up sessions - and to see people who are completing games and likely boosting to do it,, but not have anyone join because they are likely unaware of the session.

There is also the problem that non-site users who wish to boost a trophy will never be able to stumble across a game session via google, as they might with a boosting thread - as most people will just google and find the first hit that says 'Boosting thread' and add the most recent half-dozen names to their friends.

I love this site, but if i want to boost a game i generally am going to other (lesser) sites to find people now, as the game sessions do not give me a chance to quickly get a list of possibly boosters to message.

I appreciate that the set-up here is much more thought-out and nuanced than other sites, and has had a lot more work put in, but it simply doesn't allow for the quickest, easiest way to boost, and in the end, that is what i want.

Sad but true.

• Like 2

Doc's raising a good point... but as far as I know we are allowed to create one boosting thread (similar to how Ragnarok Odyssey or DRIVECLUB), but the problem is, we would need someone maintaining it...

And I'm pretty sure our active members aren't enough to cover all possible boosting games...

On the other hand, if each game had a boosting thread, with link to boosting sessions with description "for specific boosting, go here" or something... wouldn't that help?

Edited by Satoshi Ookami
  • Like 1

Doc's raising a good point... but as far as I know we are allowed to create one boosting thread (similar to how Ragnarok Odyssey or DRIVECLUB), but the problem is, we would need someone maintaining it...

And I'm pretty sure our active members aren't enough to cover all possible boosting games...

On the other hand, if each game had a boosting thread, with link to boosting sessions with description "for specific boosting, go here" or something... wouldn't that help?

That's sort of what im saying, but im saying take it one step further and make it more like a single, unending session, which would be called a boosting thread, but would not allow conversation - just names to be added and trophies still to aquire.

Would require some work from Sly though, so I understand why just creating a single, unified boosting thread for each game would be simpler - but as you say, that would require significant moderation, whereas a new function would not.

No, we're no longer allowed any boosting threads. It used to be one per game, but that changed last year.

I don´t see a problem having a thread to boost a game. Many old games you ended up with no one joining your Gaming Session, but in a thread you can put your username and someone is going to add you eventually (It may take a while, a year or so).

• Like 2

I have the same feelings about this. If I have a game downloaded or physically and someone needs to boost 100 wins or something simple like that, I'd be willing to help out. I can't be bothered to check the boosting sessions though because I'm not actively playing the game. A passive boosting list would help with that and the worst that it could bring is the passive booster not being available at the same time as the person looking to boost.

• Like 1

Everything suggested in here sounds like a pain in the ass, and I started the thread that consolidated the policy that the mods were quoting on boosting threads. If they linked it in the site rules, or even linked it up top next to the site rules, then it would be far more public than just I and Stevieboy and the small cadre of other forumites linking it when necessary. Show people where it's at when they screw up. Most of the time they'll say "Sorry I didn't know" and never do it again. Repeat offenders, you jettison into the sun. People who want to belabor the point in a 25+ post thread, replete with sarcasm and eyeroll smileys, jettison them too. Boosting threads aren't ever going to go away no matter how bright you paint the sign point to the gaming sessions or how retard-proof you make reading the policy. Stop acting like you're owed a personal apology every time a personal boosting thread is posted, and just show people where to go to do it right. It's not that hard.

Edited by damon8r351
  • Like 1

I'm wondering if something like this is possible in the current forum version though, after the site update Sly plans on updating the forum to its latest version, then maybe there'll be some sort of functionality if there isn't already :P

Do you think it's possible to add a link called "Boosting" on the top (next to Members Forum Rules New Posts) that takes to Damon's thread though? I bet that would be useful and attract more attention than doing one lock every time a new thread it's up. Obviously a lot of people are still going to miss that because they never actually touch the forums until they are about to create the thread. I imagine they open their PSN profile, then the game, then the game's forums and create the thread.

Edited by TheYuriG
  • Like 1

Maybe the various threads that explain the rules and policies of PSNP should be moved to a dedicated "New Users Read These" sub-forum in the PSNProfiles section at the top.

At the moment, damon's "What to do if you want to boost a trophy" thread is in PlayStation Network under PlayStation Discussion, the rules are in Announcements, Parker's "New Forum Members Please Read!" is tucked away in Off-Topic under General Discussions, (which doesn't even appear on the homepage if someone posts there...). 

It's all very spread out and hard to find if you're a new user who isn't yet familiar with what each section is for. Moving these threads into a "New Users" sub-forum under PSNProfiles would put that info front and centre for everyone who visits.

New-user intros might also be a good fit as a sub-sub forum in that sub-forum if this post is acted upon. Seeing "New User Introduction" at the top might attract people to that section to introduce themselves, and they might then go on to read the other threads that are posted one level up from that.

• Like 1

At the moment, damon's "What to do if you want to boost a trophy" thread is in PlayStation Network under PlayStation Discussion, the rules are in Announcements, Parker's "New Forum Members Please Read!" is tucked away in Off-Topic under General Discussions, (which doesn't even appear on the homepage if someone posts there...). 

New-user intros might also be a good fit as a sub-sub forum in that sub-forum if this post is acted upon. Seeing "New User Introduction" at the top might attract people to that section to introduce themselves, and they might then go on to read the other threads that are posted one level up from that.

This is actually an incredible idea and I believe Damon said something similar when requesting to be linked in he rules as well. Maybe it would be good to have everything in one place as you said, including maybe the guides for guides, so whoever is insterested in sticking around, can also see if they have interest in making a guide themselves and get some recognition among the members.

• Like 1