Why are Japanese games so pricey?

Shug244

Agree with all of this.

Ahem, Drakengard. Great series, addictive gameplay and excellent storytelling, however, that series has really bad graphics, especially in the cutscenes. I don't mind it myself, because I'm not a graphics whore, but damn those games are ugly to look at.

You haven't seen the special edition of Batman: Arkham Knight have you? It's $100. Actually, I should use Saints Row IV: The Super Dangerous Wad Wad Edition, the most expensive special edition of a video game ever made, priced at $1M.

wadwad.jpg

You're right, I haven't seen that edition of Saints Row IV. It's very expensive...

I personally don't think they are more expensive than other games, but then again isn't every game a little bit of japanese? There is always someone japanese in the credits! :D Anyways I usually buy all my games from sales or from a gameshop which gives you discount for buying from them constantly. It could be also that in EU everything is so wreaking expensive so I can't make a difference. If you wanna get cheap buy from Honk Kong they usually sell all versions. 

And a 'pantyshot' is perverted enough for me. 

Wow, that's twisted, man.

Imports are only expensive if you're looking in the wrong places.  Avoid stores such as Play-Asia like the plague.  The only reason they're the go-to suggestion is because they're one of the oldest in the business, but that doesn't make them the best - if anything they're probably the priciest of them all.  Only thing they're useful for at the moment is Japanese PSN cards.

My go-to website for importing games (not pre-orders; that's AmiAmi) would be eBay.  If you know where to shop, you can save hundreds.  Let's take the example of Exstetra (fits the bill for what you're looking for; an affordable Vita RPG).  You can buy it here for $18.  Or how about God Eater 2 for $13?  If you're okay with buying used, then importing is not a costly hobby at all (unless you're like me and have an obsession with their limited editions... *sigh*).  You just need to know where to look!  (Btw, I totally recommend the latter seller I linked there.  They're where I get most of my imports nowadays.  Stick with 'em.)

Damn, now I want that God Eater xDDD

I know that's being a bit mean but I'd rather understand what's going on and read through it all, like I did with CLANNAD. I hope I can improve my Japanese enough soon so I can experience more visual novels.

I would love to kill anyone who did not read CLANNAD and only used it for trophies...

Agree with all of this.

Ahem, Drakengard. Great series, addictive gameplay and excellent storytelling, however, that series has really bad graphics, especially in the cutscenes. I don't mind it myself, because I'm not a graphics whore, but damn those games are ugly to look at.

You haven't seen the special edition of Batman: Arkham Knight have you? It's $100. Actually, I should use Saints Row IV: The Super Dangerous Wad Wad Edition, the most expensive special edition of a video game ever made, priced at $1M.

wadwad.jpg

For Lambo? Not that bad.

It's funny how killing hundreds of citizens with a tank for fun in socially acceptable (aka GTA V) but suggestive themes that hints towards intimate relations, that are completely natural, are being considered abnormal. If a little bit of skin is a turn off for you, but you get off on violence and bloodshed. In my opinion you are the sick individual mister, not the *perverted* ones.

^ Don't take this too seriously, just trying to put some perspective in a close minded person.  

If anything it's the fanbase that kills it for me. This is a video game site, but there's always a constant influx of anime fans (which I wouldn't have a problem with if it didn't take up half the fucking discussions and topic on this site). The sexualisation of young girls is very much prevalent in these shitty shows and games, whether you like to think of it as perverted or not. I hate anime, largely due to its fanbase - now you can all sue me.

And yes, I play GTA. Of course you could argue GTA is a perverted game, but you know what seperates it from the mediocre anime games released alongside it? It's a mockery of American society. Violence and sex have long been part of our fascination and lifestyle, and are displayed throughout all media sectors, and rightfully so. However, there's a difference between Martin Scorsese film and some shitty Japanese television show that exists solely to show off unrealistic sexual expectations of perverted men (and i'm not talking about everything Anime, I watch all the Miyazaki stuff and I think they're decent films).

I'll probably get shit on by 90% of this website, which is a shame because I use it constantly, but I know their will be a small number of users who agree with me when I say the majority of Anime is a load of perverted nonsense. 

1rzyf8Y.gif

My point exactly. Mediocre entertainment for inept individuals. 

If anything it's the fanbase that kills it for me. This is a video game site, but there's always a constant influx of anime fans.

There are people prefering anime-style graphics over superduperomegarealisticzomfgolololol-Blockbuster-AAA-graphics. Unbelieveable, right? =D

That has something to do with different taste and stuff.

Just because Im living in an area that use german as primary language doesnt mean I must play every shooter and racinggame, or that I must buy every FIFA.

Also I must not get an orgasm on graphics. I can show you some forums... just googletranslate them ... People are like "Yesss Blockbusters! THAT GRAPHICS! OH! OH! OH! *fap* ... UBISOFT YOU SONS OF BIATCHES! Y U GRAPHIXXXDOWNGRADE?!"

("AC:Syndicate sucks because it looks the same like AC:Unity. No improvement in graphics.")

And then they call me a child because I like eg Neptunia.

(In reality Im a just4fun gamer and I like stories/plot... and Im a bit of a softie, I like feelings, emotions, and stuff ^_^. That is something that western game dont have nowadays. Today everything is about graphics and to shoot this and that.)

And then you call me/us/whatever an inept perverted individual, just because Im not a graphicswhore and Im trying to break out of this stupid superficial society and because Im playing what I want and not that what society and media wants me to play? Im really sorry that I dont want to fap on graphiceffects and on dead civilians youve killed in multiple games without a reason.

You are such a meaniiiie! :(

And buddy, all your posts here in this topic are a bit... uhm...

obelix-crazy_thumb.jpg

ps: GTA5 was a horrible game. Just saying.

Edited by Neputyunu
  • Like 2

Resident-Zelda ..... you are a perfect example of "talking about something without knowing anything about it"  . thx for that , now i can show others how much crap someone can talk without knowing anything.

You dont like Anime? thats ok, not everyone has to like it . i dont watch anime because i dont want to read subs while watching ..

Not liking is a opinion , and i respect opinions, but what you do is hating on something with wrong arguments .  

All animes are perveted? i mean maybe i should start watching Anime again ....  but to bad that this is not true . 

did you know that almost every "Blockbuster" movie has a sex szene? 

i dont know why you here , hating and beeing rude to Anime fans. but please if you dont like it , you dont have to be here.

again , : you dont like anime? thats ok.  you hate anime and feel you have to be rude to every anime fan? get out .      thats for every hating , not only for anime! 

• Like 3

I'll probably get shit on by 90% of this website, which is a shame because I use it constantly, but I know their will be a small number of users who agree with me when I say the majority of Anime is a load of perverted nonsense.  

90% lolz. A lot of people watch anime and play anime styled games here but doubt they make up the majority here, maybe on the Vita side of PSNP but not all of it. Comics still reign supreme. I think a lot of people think you're probably crazy and the others don't really care.

• Like 2

90% lolz. A lot of people watch anime and play anime styled games here but doubt they make up the majority here, maybe on the Vita side of PSNP but not all of it. Comics still reign supreme. I think a lot of people think you're probably crazy and the others don't really care.

Yeah 90% was an exaggeration. And people can call me crazy all they want, but when I see these twats posting pictures of cartoon-girls with unrealistically sized assets like their life depends on it, then it's clear to see whose really crazy. 

Yeah 90% was an exaggeration. And people can call me crazy all they want, but when I see these twats posting pictures of cartoon-girls with unrealistically sized assets like their life depends on it, then it's clear to see whose really crazy. 

I say let them have their preference as long as they ain't hurting nobody. No need to get a warning point for nothing. So what is the actually problem you find with anime styled products, the lack of realism or you just don't care for it?

Imports are only expensive if you're looking in the wrong places.  Avoid stores such as Play-Asia like the plague.  The only reason they're the go-to suggestion is because they're one of the oldest in the business, but that doesn't make them the best - if anything they're probably the priciest of them all.  Only thing they're useful for at the moment is Japanese PSN cards.

My go-to website for importing games (not pre-orders; that's AmiAmi) would be eBay.  If you know where to shop, you can save hundreds.  Let's take the example of Exstetra (fits the bill for what you're looking for; an affordable Vita RPG).  You can buy it here for $18.  Or how about God Eater 2 for $13?  If you're okay with buying used, then importing is not a costly hobby at all (unless you're like me and have an obsession with their limited editions... *sigh*).  You just need to know where to look!  (Btw, I totally recommend the latter seller I linked there.  They're where I get most of my imports nowadays.  Stick with 'em.)

If you're not up for eBay, then Nippon-Yasan and SolarisJapan are your best bet, but the latter can be crazy and kinda random with shipping.  Or go to Japan, since used games over there are pathetically cheap in the likes of shops such as Trader.  But unfortunately this is not so easy for most.   -_-

Edit: Oh, and if visual novels serve nothing more than trophy score boosters, then why has it been a prevalent game genre in Japan since 1983...?  I know in the trophy community they mean little more than that, but jeez, give us readers who are in it for the story some credit...

Thanks for the ebay link. It has some interesting stuff.

Nippons-Yasan is my favorite shop for pre-orders. Sometimes I also go for CDjapan.co.jp or AmiAmi.com for their exclusive pre-order bonus stuff (they are most of the time more expensive).

• Like 1

And yes, I play GTA. Of course you could argue GTA is a perverted game, but you know what seperates it from the mediocre anime games released alongside it? It's a mockery of American society.

You could argue that some anime is a mockery of the Japanese Otaku sub-culture.

• Like 2

I say let them have their preference as long as they ain't hurting nobody. No need to get a warning point for nothing. So what is the actually problem you find with anime styled products, the lack of realism or you just don't care for it?

I don't care about the anime itself, I just find it ridiculous that the fanboys need to share their shitty shows all over this website like their life depends on it. It's a game website, don't be upset when somebody criticises an aspect of anime for being perverted. They can all live in their own little fantasy world on other websites if they want. 

It's so true. Nearly all of the top people I've seen have tons of VNs for trophies.. I guess the story doesn't matter anymore? I mean I like trophies just as much as the next person but I really want to enjoy the story that the VN is offering me. 

Look at most of any top 200 player's list... do you think they enjoy what they play or do you think they just care about getting the trophies?

Maybe their enjoyment comes from getting the trophies rather than experiencing the game's inherent fun factor... all I know is when I played through VNs for trophies I hated it and so I stopped.  I prefer to read through my VNs but when you are gunning for LB spots you are firing through games in the most optimized way.  It's just sad that said "optimized" way completely drains the fun factor from most games lol.

If anything it's the fanbase that kills it for me. This is a video game site, but there's always a constant influx of anime fans (which I wouldn't have a problem with if it didn't take up half the fucking discussions and topic on this site). The sexualisation of young girls is very much prevalent in these shitty shows and games, whether you like to think of it as perverted or not. I hate anime, largely due to its fanbase - now you can all sue me.

And yes, I play GTA. Of course you could argue GTA is a perverted game, but you know what seperates it from the mediocre anime games released alongside it? It's a mockery of American society. Violence and sex have long been part of our fascination and lifestyle, and are displayed throughout all media sectors, and rightfully so. However, there's a difference between Martin Scorsese film and some shitty Japanese television show that exists solely to show off unrealistic sexual expectations of perverted men (and i'm not talking about everything Anime, I watch all the Miyazaki stuff and I think they're decent films).

My point exactly. Mediocre entertainment for inept individuals. 

Is there a lot of fanservice in many anime? Oh yeah. Not questioning that - at all. Actually, there's fanservice-y anime, there's sleazy anime and there's downright disgusting anime. But there's also anime that's very dramatic and emotional, anime that's full of action and adrenaline, and anime that's just plain hilarious. The best ones even manage to have all three of these.

The thing is there's anime for every taste. And I mean every taste. I dare you to find Western shows about bakeries or about basketball players. Sure, there's a lot of over-sexualized girls in anime - the genre's gained a somewhat fair reputation for it. But to be honest, a lot of American comics also do. I even remember an episode of The Big Bang Theory where Amy enters the comic book store (no manga/anime in sight) and asks Stewart if he could get her "A comic that depicts a woman whose bosom can’t be used as a flotation device".

I have a long-time friend that thinks just like you, he just won't tell his opinions to my face that bluntly out of consideration. I also remember a day when we both went to the comic book store and we passed by some manga - specifically, a Senran Kagura manga, a series known for its massive ensemble of F-cup girls. He complained that that's what manga was all about. And I just pointed to a comic right next to him that depicted a Lara Croft with breasts just as big.

Honestly, dude, all of your comments clearly just show you're close-minded (not to mention prejudiced).

You think what you see here on the site is bad? You definitely shouldn't check out other places. Actually, the posts on the Senran Kagura thread (the only one I can recall on the site that matches your description) are extremely mild and lively in a healthy way, despite all the fanservice.

And even if you do like that kind of anime doesn't mean you watch it exclusively for the fanservice. I watch some of them every now and then and you'd be surprised how many memorable characters and how much genuine human drama some of them have.

Edited by jrdemr
  • Like 4

I don't care about the anime itself, I just find it ridiculous that the fanboys need to share their shitty shows all over this website like their life depends on it. It's a game website, don't be upset when somebody criticises an aspect of anime for being perverted. They can all live in their own little fantasy world on other websites if they want. 

you dont understand it right?  anime games are part of gaming world . and this site is for every gamer . if you want them to go , you should better search an other website. we dont need haters here . Criticises are somthing different then hating and flaming a community .

• Like 2

And again, proving your absolute ignorance and 0 motivation to do any research before posting :)

While big boobs definitely were a hit in the past, modern trends goes to cute DFC.

Edited by Satoshi Ookami

Look at most of any top 200 player's list... do you think they enjoy what they play or do you think they just care about getting the trophies?

Maybe their enjoyment comes from getting the trophies rather than experiencing the game's inherent fun factor... all I know is when I played through VNs for trophies I hated it and so I stopped.  I prefer to read through my VNs but when you are gunning for LB spots you are firing through games in the most optimized way.  It's just sad that said "optimized" way completely drains the fun factor from most games lol.

That's why I doubt I'll get super high on the leaderboards in my country, I actually want to learn more Japanese when I import other VNs.. Only imports I've played so far are CLANNAD and E.X. Troopers and I loved the hell out of them.

• Like 1

Why can't this thread die!!!!! LMAO I'm just kidding but I do find it hilarious how you guys/gals took over this thread and made it about something else,this literraly happened to atleast 90% of the threads I made on here and everytime I think a thread i made is going to die it don't. :)

Why can't this thread die!!!!! LMAO I'm just kidding but I do find it hilarious how you guys/gals took over this thread and made it about something else,this literraly happened to atleast 90% of the threads I made on here and everytime I think a thread i made is going to die it don't. :)

This thread will only die when you are closing it. Or maybe Zelda writes soon something that ... "negative", that Parker/Sly will close it. :P

But personally I want to know why all this "japanhaters" are playing on a japanese console then. Just because its in theory better hardware, compared to XBox? And how a "japanhater" could get here? i mean, its a vitatopic. Complaining in a vitatopic about japanese games is like complaining about, well better i dont give any example before ppl feel offended without a reason again. But, seriously, Vita IS japangame-heaven (just would need gamingmood, more time and money), so, someone came to the wrong neighbourhood to complain about THAT. =D Also, japanese games are THE reason to pick a PlayStation. When I only want to play shooters, which I could play somewhen in the future even on my toaster because EA and the others would even publish for your toilet as long its not from Nintendo, I dont need a console. Also you get via SteamGreenlight like over9000 shooters per day, so? Why this ppl are with PlayStation? Nobody answered me that question.

Edited by Neputyunu
  • Like 1

It will not die until Zelda gives up :D

And then it will continue with us praising the Japanese games. :awesome:

• Like 3

don't be upset when somebody criticises an aspect of anime for being perverted. 

What make's people upset is not "someone criticizing". There's a difference between criticizing, and being oblivious. It's like saying " All martial artist, wrestlers and mma fighters are psychopaths because they punch each other!! "  Or  "Call of duty players are all future murderers because they like to shoot people!"

Sounds kind of stupid doesn't it ? Sure you mom might think Call of duty will turn you into a murderer, do you know why ? Because she doesn't understand the game. When you judge anime it's because you don't understand the style, you don't understand japanese humor, and I can go on and on and quite frankly you probably just have no heart because anime have the best stories, best romance and saddest shows you'll ever see.

If you hate something it's because you don't understand it, basic rule of life. Religion, nationalities and the list goes on.

Basically... your the definition of ignorance.

• Like 1

What make's people upset is not "someone criticizing". There's a difference between criticizing, and being oblivious. It's like saying " All martial artist, wrestlers and mma fighters are psychopaths because they punch each other!! "  Or  "Call of duty players are all future murderers because they like to shoot people!"

Sounds kind of stupid doesn't it ? Sure you mom might think Call of duty will turn you into a murderer, do you know why ? Because she doesn't understand the game. When you judge anime it's because you don't understand the style, you don't understand japanese humor, and I can go on and on and quite frankly you probably just have no heart because anime have the best stories, best romance and saddest shows you'll ever see.

If you hate something it's because you don't understand it, basic rule of life. Religion, nationalities and the list goes on.

Basically... your the definition of ignorance.

If you think Anime is a representation of Japanese culture and ideals (which you seem to imply, since I have such little understanding of Japan according to you), then you're delusional. You anime twats seem to have some fictional view of Japan where everybody dresses up in cosplay and acts out their favourite anime character 24/7. I can assure you, having grown up in one of the most diverse and multicultural cities in the world, there are many in Japan who could not give two shits about anime. If anybody doesn't understand Japanese humour its you lot. Just because Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles is an american cartoon, it doesn't mean that it is a representation of American comedy as a whole. 

And I find it so ironic that you'd say "if you hate something it's because you don't understand it". I do not like fascism. Why don't I like fascism? Because far-right political ideologies such as Nazism openly express racial superiority and ethnic cleansing. Do I not understand this, or have I just been misinformed? Moreover, it's not a basic rule of life to just accept religion. I'm an atheist (although a former Catholic), I don't like nor do I respect any religion. You'd probably call me a racist or bigot for that (which is completely ridiculous, unfair, and false), even though i'm far from that and would argue religious people are more intolerant than any atheist. Do I hate all religious people? Of course not, most of my family are religious - the same can be applied to anime, I don't hate everything about the shows, nor the the people that watch this nonsense, but the fanboys take things way too far. 

What's wrong with suggesting that lots of anime (i've already stated several times that I don't think this of all anime productions, namely Miyazaki) are perverted? When the aim of your show is to attract vulnerably stupid fans who will willingly obsess over a fictional female character that tends to be presented in the form of a young-girl, i'd have no quarrels with saying that's pathetic and perverted. Honestly though, you'll grow out of this shit someday. It may be when your 57, it may be when a Japanese person takes offence to your belated view of their country, but it will happen. 

• Like 3

Quality must be awarded.

You actually pay for quality game, these aren't AAA titles where you pay for... I have no idea what.

LOL. There are TONS of crap Japan titles that sell for the same inflated price as the good ones.

If you hate something it's because you don't understand it, basic rule of life.

This is a ridiculous statement, almost to the point of being one of the most ignorant I've ever read.

Oh, and I have no dog in this fight, other than a hatred of ignorance. In fact, I rather like the anime fans here, even if I don't share their tastes.