National Football League Thread

cmgravekeeper

Supposedly, DirecTV was losing money on this deal when they were forking over $1.5 billion per season.  So how is YouTube going to make money on this when they're paying even more?

Or do they simply not give a damn because they hope that Google/Alphabet will subsidize them?  Something that hasn't been working very well these days for other companies/networks that have bid up the costs of television rights and lost tons of money in the process?

6 minutes ago, acasser said:

Supposedly, DirecTV was losing money on this deal when they were forking over $1.5 billion per season.  So how is YouTube going to make money on this when they're paying even more?

Or do they simply not give a damn because they hope that Google/Alphabet will subsidize them?  Something that hasn't been working very well these days for other companies/networks that have bid up the costs of television rights and lost tons of money in the process?

They're definitely just doing this to bring in subscribers. They aired the NBA finals this year and now they want to sink their teeth into the NFL before Amazon locks them down on the streaming front.

The inconsistency in calls is blowing my mind.  Lawrence gets taken off his feet (defender leaves his feet too) on a monster hit and pancaked, yet no flag.  Explain to me how this is not 'coming down on a QB with all your weight' and the Bosa roughing call was: https://www.youtube.com/shorts/vGGsSX_XmR  

I'll wait.

And so goes another season for Jets fans.  It ended not with a bang, but with a pitiful whimper.

I figure Zach Wilson has probably taken his last snap as a New York Jet after last night.  He wasn't very good, but the team isn't giving him any help.  The play-calling continues to be very questionable when he's in there -- the Jets made virtually no effort to run the ball last night even with Wilson's documented issues and the weather being what it was.  The offensive line isn't helping; neither does Wilson's inability to pick up on blitzes and therefore put himself into situations where he has to run for his life or eat a sack.  And it's clear that the receivers don't like him given how they keep showing him up on the field; they're a bunch of divas who ought to be spanked and sent to their rooms without supper, but it's easier to get rid of one underperforming QB than it is a whole bunch of crybabies.  The fans aren't helping, either.  And maybe Gang Green has been cursed at the QB position ever since they chucked Chad Pennington overboard because Woody Johnson had a hard-on for Brett Favre.

The way I figure the Jets offseason rebuild of their QB depth chart goes is like thus.  First, they'll re-sign Mike White to be the backup (and let Joe Flacco go).  Then I figure they'll sign Jimmy G away from San Francisco to be their QB for the next 2-3 years; they can afford to pay him $25 million/year or so while they have all that young talent on rookie deals.  They'll draft a guy in the middle rounds to be a developmental type hoping he'll mature into the future QB.

And they'll trade Zach Wilson for a 3rd or 4th round pick.  I figure somewhere like Minnesota is a likely landing spot; the Vikings have an entrenched veteran starter that Wilson can sit behind for a few years and learn from and that gives such a Coaching Staff time to work on Wilson's flaws and unlock whatever might be there.  Wilson could be the "next" Josh Rosen, but I fear he'll have a successful career elsewhere given some time and proper development.  It just won't happen in New Jersey.

13 hours ago, acasser said:

And they'll trade Zach Wilson for a 3rd or 4th round pick.  I figure somewhere like Minnesota is a likely landing spot; the Vikings have an entrenched veteran starter that Wilson can sit behind for a few years and learn from and that gives such a Coaching Staff time to work on Wilson's flaws and unlock whatever might be there.  Wilson could be the "next" Josh Rosen, but I fear he'll have a successful career elsewhere given some time and proper development.  It just won't happen in New Jersey.

Vikings just signed Josh Rosen this week! :dunno:

That’s Team No. 7 for him, so I think he might have the NFL’s active Accidental Tourist title. 

I'll give credit where it's due in regards to Wilson but I'm over Carroll.  The league has left him behind.  He's supposed to be a "defensive" coach but year after year now Carroll's defenses are atrocious.  This year's go to excuse is how young they are but that's this year.  What was last year's excuse for Seattle's defense being on pace to being historically bad, or the year before that, or the year before that etc etc.  And the offense... oh the offense.  Take away the run game and once again, that's all she wrote.  No answers what-so-ever.  No creativity, no deception, no adjustments, nothing, and teams have obviously wised up to it.  I can already hear today's post game press conference, Pete's gonna stand there and endlessly talk about how they couldn't establish the run and blah blah blah... just like he has for the past couple months now, because apparently the only way to run an offense is hand it off and go up the middle.

Washington Commanders lose to the 49ers with questions now looming on who plays qb against the Browns after Taylor Henickie was benched in the 2nd half after back to back turnovers for Wentz who came in and put together a td drive. they remain 7th with other results from today.

Saints remain alive in the NFC south thx to there rushing game and defense as it caried a inept passing game, The Browns got yet another poor showing from Watson as they were eliminated from the playoffs.

The Collapsing Titans continued there ways losing to the Texans 19-14 where apart from Derrick Henry and some Malik Willis runs the offense was inept, espcially in the passing game, Week 18 at Jacksonville will be a win and in for both and atm you'd put your money on the Jags. for the Texans , another week they showed themselves well with this time it paying off for the win

The red hot Lions ran into a buzzsaw as the Carolina Panthers who still control there destiny in the NFC South rushed for 320yrds,with over 200 of it in the 1st half, with Chubba Hubbard and Deonta Foreman eaching rushing for 100yrds, when the Panthers get the ground game going they are basically unbeatable. Lions thus loss isn't killer as others lost but was a missed oppurtunity to really stake claim for the spot

Bills started slow but awoke in the 2nd half to easily defeat the Bears and win the AFC East, with there defense holding Justin Fields to just 11yrds rushing, a very impressieve defensieve showing, but now comes the big game Monday night at Cincinatti 

No Lamar still and Ravens offense/defense does enough to defeat the Falcons who were eliminated from the playoffs, for the Ravens they keep alive for the division, but man do they need Lamar back

The Cincinatti Bengals started where they left off last week, destroying te Patriots in the first half for a 22-0 lead in a game that looked dead for the Patriots until a Burrow pick 6 in the 3rd awoke the Patriots who got it back to 3 thx to defense and some crazy offense plays. but the Bengals found a way to hold on, forcing a huge fumble late to hold on and avoid the choke.

P.S imj glad im not a Vikings fan , they get there 11 win, yet again another 1 score game where they won it late with Greg Joseph's 61yrd fg at the gun, they continue to find wayd to win these games is amazing but damn can they not give thre fans heart attacks or no nails every game xD 

No Hurts and the Eagles still looked as scary with Minshew ,though too many turnovers plus giving up a huge 3rd down and long late were huge as they lost there 2nd game of the season, Cowboys might've won it but poor clock management late and Dak making some big mistakes along with another poor defensieve showing almost doomed them,but the Defense did get it done late to kee slim division hopes alive

the Steelers and Raiders gave us a old school hard thought slog of a game with Kenny Pickett leading a clutch drive late finding the game winning td with under a minute left as the Steelers stay alive for the playoffs, a non losing season  and honored the late Franco Harris well. Well what to say for the Raiders but you blew another lead late

A interesting 3 Christmas day games

Packers stay alive with the win thx to a great 2nd half on offense and defense, Next up is home against the Vikings,another must win game.Tua what the Hell was that 2nd half,espcially the 4th qtr??? you singlehandedly lost the game for your Dolphins and lost a 4th in a row, you keep this up you won't be in the playoffs.

Oh Broncos just when you thought it was only the offense with issues you play like that today on defense, Giving up 51 points and letting Baker Mayfield basically have a perfect game shredding you and showing league or maybe the Rams they should sign him in the offseason.Russ on the other hand with another abysmal game that was so bad that Patrick Star even ripped you on the Nickelodeon broadcast xD and you got benched late. Seasons end can't come soon e for you 

The night cap for 3 qtrs was a field goal battle and a battle for Tom Brady as he was playing really awful, missing throws, turning it over. Then the 4th qtr comes and with Cardinals up 10 you deliever yet again late to force OT and thx to your defense making the plays, you then were able to deliever the game winning Field Goal drive to now put yourself in a win and clinch the division next week at home against the Panthers 

9 hours ago, MidnightDragon said:

Don’t care what anyone says…a team with a negative record has zero business being in the playoffs.

I'm sure this is a reference to the NFC South....

.... but don't look now, the 7-8 New York Jets are very much alive with the Dolphins coughing up a game yesterday.  If I'm doing my math and tiebreakers correctly, two Jets wins and one New England loss guarantee that Gang Green would make the postseason.  Because both of Tennessee and Jacksonville can't get to 9-8 (and therefore interfere in a massive tiebreak) and the Jets would have the tiebreaker over Miami; even if the Chargers also end up finishing at 9-8 (by dropping 2 of 3 they have remaining), Los Angeles would be the 6th seed and there'd still be another spot up for grabs.

I know the NFL has been all about "MOAR PLAYOFF TEAMS!!1!" for a couple of seasons now, but is this really necessary?  The 7th seed in the AFC is almost certainly going to be a mediocre, barely-.500 team sentenced to be murdered in Buffalo or Kansas City; the 7th seed in the NFC will be the same other than the location (Minnesota or San Francisco in this case).  And just so the NFL could make a couple of extra quid on playoff television rights.

It's bad enough when mediocre, barely-.500 teams win their divisions.  It's even worse when the same are Wild Cards because the sports world's version of "equity" translates to "everybody deserves a playoff spot".  It makes me long for institutions such as the Premiere League (of soccer in England) where they simply play a full regular season and the champion is the team that does the best out of that.  Plus the whole relegation idea to discourage tanking.

18 hours ago, MidnightDragon said:

The Broncos have fired Nathaniel Hackett. I don’t see why they couldn’t wait two more weeks. It’s not going to change anything.

https://www.nfl.com/news/broncos-fire-nathaniel-hackett-after-4-11-start-to-first-season-in-denver

When you give up 51 points to the hapless Rams, that’s an indication the team has quit.  And there’s obviously internal strife when teammates are yelling and pushing each other on the sideline. By jettisoning Hackett, the locker room may simmer down a bit.

But good luck Broncos with what has become ANOTHER QB bust. They’ve struck out with bad draft picks (remember Paxton Lynch? :P), overpaid free agents (Joe Flacco), retreads (Brock Osweiler) and now a trade. And there stuck with Russell Wilson for two more years, unless they can convince him to revive his baseball career. And they have no first-rounder. Nothing like sucking, and then giving away that coveted pick.

I am shocked Elway still has a say in personnel decisions, given the decade of blunders at the QB position. 

9 hours ago, PerryToxteth said:

When you give up 51 points to the hapless Rams, that’s an indication the team has quit.  And there’s obviously internal strife when teammates are yelling and pushing each other on the sideline. By jettisoning Hackett, the locker room may simmer down a bit.

But good luck Broncos with what has become ANOTHER QB bust. They’ve struck out with bad draft picks (remember Paxton Lynch? :P), overpaid free agents (Joe Flacco), retreads (Brock Osweiler) and now a trade. And there stuck with Russell Wilson for two more years, unless they can convince him to revive his baseball career. And they have no first-rounder. Nothing like sucking, and then giving away that coveted pick.

I am shocked Elway still has a say in personnel decisions, given the decade of blunders at the QB position. 

Elway isn't that bad at personnel, he secured Peyton after all. Paxton was a boom or bust gamble which is why he was taken so late in the first. Joe had a pristine playoff statistical record and Brock.... well Brock was friends with Elway's son in college.

On 12/26/2022 at 4:04 PM, MidnightDragon said:

The Broncos have fired Nathaniel Hackett. I don’t see why they couldn’t wait two more weeks. It’s not going to change anything.

https://www.nfl.com/news/broncos-fire-nathaniel-hackett-after-4-11-start-to-first-season-in-denver

I'm glad they didn't wait, he is pathetically bad at coaching. I am tired of us being okay with guys who don't want to win on our team