National Football League Thread

cmgravekeeper

What a way to end round 4 with a great game, Chiefs still are undefeated but boy did it come close to not being so.

Bears have changed qb's to rookie Mitchell Trubisky http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/20894215/chicago-bears-bench-mike-glennon-mitchell-trubisky

and from Monday night a big injury for that Redskins defense https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/monday-night-football-josh-norman-expected-to-miss-a-couple-of-weeks/

and Rookie rb sensation for the Vikings Dalvin Cook has a torn acl http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2017/10/02/vikings-confirm-dalvin-cook-has-torn-acl/

Edited by Jare

Maybe the Bears were scared of Mike Glennon, but they should be horrified at the thought of Mitchell Trubisky.  Trubisky is Mark Sanchez 2.0, and it's not like the alpha version was so wonderful as to merit a clone.  Had he dropped to #6 and the Jets had taken him, I would have thrown something through whichever television I was watching that night.

• Like 1

My Week 5 2017-18 NFL Tips

Patriots over Bucs

Bills over Bengals 

Jets over Browns 

Lions over Panthers 

Titans over Dolphins 

Colts over 49ers

Giants over Chargers 

Eagles over Cardinals 

Steelers over Jags

Raiders over Ravens 

Rams over Seahawks 

Cowboys over Packers 

Chiefs over Texans

Vikings over Bears

21 hours ago, starcrunch061 said:

I don't know how mid-season signings work, but is Wheedon cheaper? I know people are looking for a political narrative here, but I find it hard to believe that any team would shoot itself in the foot for some political points.

Kaep wasn't even a consideration.  For someone who at least seems to match the offense well, I'm left thinking there appears to be something more behind the scenes.

I have been 4 for 4 on Pats so far. I say they pull one out but TB makes it a game.

16 hours ago, dmsleight said:

Kaep wasn't even a consideration.  For someone who at least seems to match the offense well, I'm left thinking there appears to be something more behind the scenes.

I have been 4 for 4 on Pats so far. I say they pull one out but TB makes it a game.

You know what's funny about all these "furious Kaep supporters", no one even knows if the guy wants to play.  He's been silent since the season started.  Like, not a peep.  He interviewed a couple times in the off season and no one took him, which, if you think about it, could mean he seemed disinterested.  And now that the season's started, silence.  Meanwhile, guys like RG3 and jumping up and down with their hands raised saying "me-me-me, I wanna play I wanna play".  Maybe all these loud mouth idiot Kaep supporters should first find out if the guy even wants to play before spouting off because, honestly, no one knows what's going on in his head right now but him... and he ain't saying.

And Tampa bay, seriously, you're QB would miss hitting the ocean from the beach right now but your RB is killing it... RUN.  THE.  DAMN.  BALL!!

1 hour ago, Avatar_Of_Battle said:

I'm seriously surprised that Tampa isn't winning like 50/zip right now lmfao.

That game was BRU-TAL to watch, although 90% of the time Thurs. night games are.  Pats couldn't go more than a play without a penalty, Winston couldn't hit a receiver if his life depended on it, and Tampa's kicking... good lord the kicking.

Just now, skidmarkgn said:

That game was BRU-TAL to watch, although 90% of the time Thurs. night games are.  Pats couldn't go more than a play without a penalty, Winston couldn't hit a receiver if his life depended on it, and Tampa's kicking... good lord the kicking.

Those fucking red uniforms were annoying as shit. I nearly didn't watch it. They left trails on the tv that made it kinda difficult to see what was happening.

I have a shit memory, but I don't remember Brady getting hit this often. As usual defensive penalties annoy me to no end so those were the cringiest bits to watch.

Yeah Tampa's kicker...dude is drowning his sorrows tonight that is for sure.

4 hours ago, skidmarkgn said:

You know what's funny about all these "furious Kaep supporters", no one even knows if the guy wants to play.  He's been silent since the season started.  Like, not a peep.  He interviewed a couple times in the off season and no one took him, which, if you think about it, could mean he seemed disinterested.  And now that the season's started, silence.  Meanwhile, guys like RG3 and jumping up and down with their hands raised saying "me-me-me, I wanna play I wanna play".  Maybe all these loud mouth idiot Kaep supporters should first find out if the guy even wants to play before spouting off because, honestly, no one knows what's going on in his head right now but him... and he ain't saying.

And Tampa bay, seriously, you're QB would miss hitting the ocean from the beach right now but your RB is killing it... RUN.  THE.  DAMN.  BALL!!

At the same time, you don't know that he doesnt.  Kind of a moot rant.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, dmsleight said:

At the same time, you don't know that he doesnt.  Kind of a moot rant.

Difference is, I'm not ranting and raving despite my ignorance to the subject.  I'm ranting and raving about people who are.  There's plenty of QB's out there who we 100% know want to play, getting upset about not hiring someone who we 100% don't know if he wants to play or not is ridiculous.  Until Kaep himself comes out and states one way or another there's absolutely no need to bring him up when another QB is hired.

I don't follow your logic.  Cutler was 100% retired.  How many times did Farve, Jordan, Elway, etc say they didn't want to play anymore? Kaep's profession is a qb football player.  No need to censor because you don't like the guy

Injuries are piling up for Sea.  Looks like Avril will miss extended time now (I would be surprised if its less than a month) and just signed Quinton broke his hand.  Lane and Prosise aren't likely to play tomorrow, to mention a few.

Carroll said McDowell is suffering from a serious concussion.  The longest I can remember anyone sitting out from a concussion is 3-4 weeks.  Carroll is leaving the door open that he might return this year.  Still possible he will never play.

17 hours ago, dmsleight said:

I don't follow your logic.  Cutler was 100% retired.  How many times did Farve, Jordan, Elway, etc say they didn't want to play anymore? Kaep's profession is a qb football player.  No need to censor because you don't like the guy

My feelings towards him aren't a factor, he seems to me like he's more interested in whatever personal quest he's on than anything.  He has denied requests for interviews and declines to answer any questions about anything politically or NFL related.  To me, everything points to him not wanting to be a part of the league right now.  If people want to continue to force the issue and push for a guy who doesn't seem to want to be a part of it, I'm not saying they can't, but I am saying I think it's stupid to be "furious" about it, especially when we both know they're not furious because of the supreme talent teams are missing out on, they're furious because they think he's being blackballed and has a "right" to play.  

And the examples you stated, yeah, they said they didn't want to play, but they were still up there actually saying something, Kaep hasn't.  (and again, not only has he been silent, he's also been refusing to break the silence, huge difference there), who knows if they were just blowing smoke to try and squeeze a bigger check or not.  Why would any team want to risk so much to bring in a QB who might be focused on the game,  especially when there's guys (Cutler being the one exception and there was no way a Miami team was going to deal with the PR nightmare that would have followed bringing Kaep in) who are showing they're absolutely interested... like RG3.

Don't expect you to agree, but hopefully that clears up what you're not following.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, skidmarkgn said:

My feelings towards him aren't a factor, he seems to me like he's more interested in whatever personal quest he's on than anything.  He has denied requests for interviews and declines to answer any questions about anything politically or NFL related.  To me, everything points to him not wanting to be a part of the league right now.  If people want to continue to force the issue and push for a guy who doesn't seem to want to be a part of it, I'm not saying they can't, but I am saying I think it's stupid to be "furious" about it, especially when we both know they're not furious because of the supreme talent teams are missing out on, they're furious because they think he's being blackballed and has a "right" to play.  

And the examples you stated, yeah, they said they didn't want to play, but they were still up there actually saying something, Kaep hasn't.  (and again, not only has he been silent, he's also been refusing to break the silence, huge difference there), who knows if they were just blowing smoke to try and squeeze a bigger check or not.  Why would any team want to risk so much to bring in a QB who might be focused on the game,  especially when there's guys (Cutler being the one exception and there was no way a Miami team was going to deal with the PR nightmare that would have followed bringing Kaep in) who are showing they're absolutely interested... like RG3.

Don't expect you to agree, but hopefully that clears up what you're not following.

You also said they are "idiots".  It also seems more logical to think someone is an "idiot" for talking about a guy that has expressed disinterest than someone who hasn't said anything.  E.g Cutler had another job and was focusing on that job and preparing for that job and not thinking about playing, etc. I don't think its unreasonable to think and discuss that its a little odd that he was picked over a guy who is own teammates think lacks motivation and drive (and general desire) for professional football.  Cutler seems like a more idiotic topic to discuss, yet he wasn't just discussed, he was hired!

Maybe just shy away from calling people idiots for talking about a football player playing football, especially when its reasonable to think that he is a better choice than others.  I mean Cutler?  Seriously?  Cutler?   If an offensive scheme calls for a retired qb who crumbles under pressure, flees from leadership, can't follow direction or a gameplan, is a demoralizing locker room presence, and loves wide open defensive backs, than by all means.... btw, Titans coach said that Kaep wasn't mentioned as a consideration> he and no one else has said Kaep declined or hasn't shown interest or the like.  There is pr backlash for teams every time Kaep gets overlooked too.  Btw, Weeden knelt too.  Speaking of awful: Weeden!

Maybe you forgot that Kaep did work out for the Seahawks.  I also remember him giving an offer for the 49ers to retain him after he opted out.  Maybe his current silence is a money or related move too?  We don't know why his slient.  He could want a break from all the negativity.  But those mentioned items^  are both signs he hasn't given up.  Oh, and he hasn't retired either.  Thats usually a sign someone hasn't moved on.  There is more reason to think that Kaep wants to play than Cutler has or does.  You might be very right about him, but maybe have a better way of expressing your ideas.

Summary: People who talk about Kaep + football aren't idiots.

Miami would have been about as bad a fit for Kaep from a PR standpoint as any particular market one could choose, and that might include the Jets with their overtly pro-Trump ownership.  I can't speak for other markets and teams, and I can't speak for Kaep's interests and motivations at this point because I simply try not to pay any attention to the guy, but I can't see the Dolphins ever having serious interest in the guy unless they simply wanted to give the middle finger to their fans and their community.

If I had to guess, however, I surmise that the way in which the Baltimore situation imploded on Kaep has probably scared away more teams.  If one believes Ray Lewis and the story he told on Showtime on the matter, the Ravens were about to sign Kaep before his girlfriend threw a live grenade into things.  After that happened -- and after Kaep has made no statements about the situation at all in any direction, as if he's trying to wish it out of existence -- I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of teams who might have had Kaep in the backs of their minds made a decision that they didn't want to get involved with him at all just to keep away from the off-field distractions.

6 hours ago, dmsleight said:

You also said they are "idiots".  It also seems more logical to think someone is an "idiot" for talking about a guy that has expressed disinterest than someone who hasn't said anything.  E.g Cutler had another job and was focusing on that job and preparing for that job and not thinking about playing, etc. I don't think its unreasonable to think and discuss that its a little odd that he was picked over a guy who is own teammates think lacks motivation and drive (and general desire) for professional football.  Cutler seems like a more idiotic topic to discuss, yet he wasn't just discussed, he was hired!

Maybe just shy away from calling people idiots for talking about a football player playing football, especially when its reasonable to think that he is a better choice than others.  I mean Cutler?  Seriously?  Cutler?   If an offensive scheme calls for a retired qb who crumbles under pressure, flees from leadership, can't follow direction or a gameplan, is a demoralizing locker room presence, and loves wide open defensive backs, than by all means.... btw, Titans coach said that Kaep wasn't mentioned as a consideration> he and no one else has said Kaep declined or hasn't shown interest or the like.  There is pr backlash for teams every time Kaep gets overlooked too.  Btw, Weeden knelt too.  Speaking of awful: Weeden!

Maybe you forgot that Kaep did work out for the Seahawks.  I also remember him giving an offer for the 49ers to retain him after he opted out.  Maybe his current silence is a money or related move too?  We don't know why his slient.  He could want a break from all the negativity.  But those mentioned items^  are both signs he hasn't given up.  Oh, and he hasn't retired either.  Thats usually a sign someone hasn't moved on.  There is more reason to think that Kaep wants to play than Cutler has or does.  You might be very right about him, but maybe have a better way of expressing your ideas.

Summary: People who talk about Kaep + football aren't idiots.

I didn't say people who are talking about him are idiots, I said the people who are "furious" about it are idiots, and I stand by it.  You and I are talking about him right now and I don't think you're an idiot.  I also never said Cutler was a great choice, he was/and is a terrible choice but the Dolphins are a Miami team and the folks in Miami (a huge Cuban population) developed a different kind of hatred for Kaep after he walked around wearing a T-shirt with Castro on it.  Judging from the Florida media stories I saw and interviews with Miami reporters on local stations when the Dolphins were hiring, the Dolphins exec's would have suffered a different kind of backlash than most other teams.

I do remember Seattle working him out, I also remember Seattle not hiring him and going with Austin Davis, another sign to me that Something with Kaep wasn't right.  Maybe he wanted too much money and a starting job, maybe he seemed disinterested.  The point is we don't know.

The statements that he's been declining are from reporters that just catch him an normal walks of life.  I get he probably doesn't want to be bugged when he's coming out of a gym or having dinner but he's actively and purposefully staying silent.  Scratch that, he and his are comparing NFL owners to slave owners and such.  Great sign there.

It's also not just "furious" Kaep supporters that I think are idiots, that particular distinction is pretty wide spread in my book.  Seattle fans who are legitimately wanting to bring back Walter Jones to fix the O-line problem... idiots, whoever decided to hire Cutler... idiot, Cutler himself... idiot, Cam Newton idiot, Hell, Richard Sherman... idiot, half of my close friends... idiots, the other half... idiots.  The list goes on and on and, sorry, but I'm not changing.

Edited by skidmarkgn

30 minutes ago, Avatar_Of_Battle said:

I know a certain Giants fan that is probably wrecking her room right now lmfao.

Did all the players on the Steelers die and the Jags just walked the ball down the field a few times? I didn't get to watch the game.

Ben just had a off day, and the Jags defense showed how good it is again, if only the jags played like this consistently

and Giants are done and losing Odell Beckham Jr, Sterling Sheperd, Brandon Marshall and Dwayne Harris, 4 wr's 

1 minute ago, Hank Hill said:

Ben just had a off day, and the Jags defense showed how good it is again, if only the jags played like this consistently

and Giants are done and losing Odell Beckham Jr, Sterling Sheperd, Brandon Marshall and Dwayne Harris, 4 wr's 

Losing how? Injury?

Out of the sunday games I usually only get to see 2-3 of them. And I seldom come across info online unless I happen upon it scrolling through the news.