National Football League Thread

cmgravekeeper

I think 3 points is about right. Division games (especially in the postseason) are typically close because teams are very familiar with each other. Pittsburgh's defense is vulnerable to giving up lots of yards and McCarron has been serviceable recently. On the other side, Pittsburgh's offense can put up 30+ on anyone, but if Roethlisberger throws a couple more head-scratcher picks, who knows.

If I were a betting man, I'd lay a huge number on Pittsburgh covering the spread because I believe they're going to run all over Cincinnati in this one.  It's not just Pittsburgh's offense this year or Cincinnati going with a backup quarterback.... it's Cincinnati not having won a playoff game in 25 years, it's Cincy being 0-6 in the playoffs under Marvin Lewis and only keeping one of those to single digits, it's how Cincinnati finished the season (not so well), et cetera.  Sure, there's a fair argument to be made that Pittsburgh doesn't even belong in the playoffs -- and as a Jets fan, I'm personally offended by their appearance in this postseason -- but the Steelers are good and battle-tested and I just have zero faith in Marvin Lewis and the Bengals to do much of anything.

For that matter, my sketch of the playoffs and how they'll unfold has Pittsburgh in the AFC Championship Game before falling to New England.

No reason for the Colts with all of the talent they have to not make the playoffs in the second worst division in the nfl.

I think losing your all-star QB, and his backup, and his backup's backup is a pretty decent reason.  Pagano doesn't deserve to be fired at all after an 8-8 season under those circumstances, especially after 3 consecutive 11-3 seasons (I'll concede that 6 of those wins every year are gimmies) and appearing in the AFC title game last year.  If he and the GM can get on the same page, and once they get a healthy Luck back they'll be right back in it.

Okay, playoff pick time.

NFC

Seahawks/Vikings - Seahawks win by a much smaller margin this time.  Weather will factor in but not as much as people are predicting.  What will make a huge difference though is the Vikings having most, if not all of their key defenders that were missing a couple weeks ago, back.  But, Seattle still has the better team and the better QB.  AP hasn't really done much against Seattle's run defense and Bridgewater can't win it on his own.  Seattle being the #1 scoring defense for a 4th consecutive year yet not having a single player picked to be a 1st team all-pro will fire them up too.

Packers/Redskins - Redskins are the glamour pick right now because Green Bay has been pretty bad down the stretch and Cousins has been on fire.  Still, it's Rodgers and the Packers vs. a coach and QB with no playoff experience.  I'm going with tried and true over the new hotness and picking Green Bay.

AFC

Bengals/Steelers - Until the Bengals can prove they can win in the playoffs I'll never pick them.  Steelers get their 7th(?) back up QB in a row and keep the tradition alive.

Chiefs/Texans - toughest call of the bunch.  Chiefs have been unstoppable but that Texans defense is no joke.  Gonna go against the grain and say the Chiefs come out flat on offense and Houston eeks out a close one at home.

Absolutely horrible display by burfict and a few other bengals, game was great, but apart from a couple idiots ruining the game cost there own team, I hope coach Marvin Lewis rips the fucking shit out of them for blowing it,

Good win Steelers, great last drive and clutch 4th down conversion,

Refs did very good controlling all the pathetic shit burfict and a couple others did

P.s bengals fans, pathetic cheering a hurt Big Ben and throwing stuff at him/ on the field

• Like 4

Absolutely horrible display by burfict and a few other bengals, game was great, but apart from a couple idiots ruining the game cost there own team, I hope coach Marvin Lewis rips the fucking shit out of them for blowing it,

Good win Steelers, great last drive and clutch 4th down conversion,

Refs did very good controlling all the pathetic shit burfict and a couple others did

P.s bengals fans, pathetic cheering a hurt Big Ben and throwing stuff at him/ on the field

Agreed. Also heard they were trying to get Big Ben off the field ASAP. They were probably worried the Bengals fans would come down on the field and murder him!

I'll be amazed if the Bengals stadium isn't burned to the ground by their own fans tonight.  As for Ben being pelted and cheered when he got hurt, I personally have a hard time feeling bad for guys with his... history.  Not saying the fans were right, just saying it couldn't happen to a "nicer guy".

Edited by skidmarkgn

Salty ass Bumgals team. Haha

And even the greatest choke team ever haha

Yeah, I've seen very few Bengals games this year, but of the ones I have seen they ALL ended the same way, with defensive PF penalties costing them the win.  I get it, great players make the team, but if great players are too stupid to not get PF calls with under 2 mins left in the 4th quarter, then they need to be benched for someone else.  Sometimes you just need to cut the cord and be rid of the player.  I was really hoping for a Bengals win cause I didn't want Denver to have to play the Steelers next week, but well shit.

I'll be amazed if the Bengals stadium isn't burned to the ground by their own fans tonight.  As for Ben being pelted and cheered when he got hurt, I personally have a hard time feeling bad for guys with his... history.  Not saying the fans were right, just saying it couldn't happen to a "nicer guy".

Yeah, it's definitely not cool to cheer when a player gets hurt, but I can't feel too sorry for a serial rapist, who used his celebrity and influence to buy his way out jail, when he gets hurt making millions of dollars in a football game.

• Like 1

Yeah, it's definitely not cool to cheer when a player gets hurt, but I can't feel too sorry for a serial rapist, who used his celebrity and influence to buy his way out jail, when he gets hurt making millions of dollars in a football game.

Regardless, if I was said serial rapist or Gandhi for that matter, I would probably be silently chuckling to myself if fans threw stuff at me for being the opposing team's quarterback.

If I was Ben, all I would too is silently chuckle in front of them and/or laugh out loud when I wasn't around them. Resorting to violent behavior like that only means that I have won and their butthurt levels are so high they're willing to give me a reaction to show it to me. Not saying Ben felt this way but I wouldn't be surprised if he did.

That hit on Brown looked fucking brutal when they played it in slow mo. I'm surpised that Brown wasn't knocked unconscious from that hit. goddamn...

Burfict will be suspended and fined at the very least. May they have mercy on his soul.

I have no doubt that Burfict will be suspended for a game next season since the Bengals don't have to worry about playing New England next Saturday.  And then he'll probably go out to reporters or social media to bitch and moan about "unfair treatment" and the like.  Nevermind that he should have been kicked out of the game on the spot the way college does it -- "targeting" such as that hit is an automatic ejection at the NCAA level and below -- to him this will just be another example of how "they're out to get him" and all that other garbage.  The NFL doesn't have to rush the process now, however.  They might announce it this week any which way, but it'll be a while until it has to go into effect.

It was very amusing watching Cincinnati self-destruct in the last two minutes last night.  All the way to Pacman Jones running that kickoff out of the endzone -- that's a mistake as well because I'd rather have the eight additional seconds to try and move the ball into reasonable "Hail Mary" range than whatever yardage he might have gotten on a return.  But that's the history of the Bengals in the Marvin Lewis years:  they're good enough to get to the playoffs but can't seal the deal once they arrive.

The Bengals need another "culture change".  It's not as bad as the days a decade ago when seemingly half the roster was arrested every season, but they've got to make some changes to what they're doing if they ever want to take that elusive "next step".  And to me, that starts with a lousy Head Coach who gets smaller the bigger the games get.  At what point does he have to answer for the problems out there?

• Like 1