National Football League Thread

cmgravekeeper

It's officially time to do away with the probowl.  I mean, Teddy Bridgewater is in it for fucks sake.  Last I remember, he was considered to be the "weakness" of the Vikings, now, he's a "probowler".  Sad.

Tedy Bridgewater isn't the quaterback I'd use as the sterling example of everything wrong with the Pro Bowl.  How about the inclusion of a guy who was the 8th alternate for the position this year: Jameis Winston?  Bridgewater was at least a little higher on the list.

At least the NHL figured out how to get more players to attend: it's a combination of asking guys behind the scenes who was going to skip out anyhow plus suspensions for any legitimately healthy players who bail.  While the National Hockey League has fucked up all sorts of other things seven ways to Sunday, they've at least figured out how not to get embarassed by everyone ducking the "contest".  And since the ASG in that sport is a mid-season thing, suspensions have teeth because you don't get to appeal them and because you serve it right away.  (That, and the NFL would probably have a harder time justifying a one-game ban for someone skipping an All Star event.)

Tedy Bridgewater isn't the quaterback I'd use as the sterling example of everything wrong with the Pro Bowl.  How about the inclusion of a guy who was the 8th alternate for the position this year: Jameis Winston?  Bridgewater was at least a little higher on the list.

At least the NHL figured out how to get more players to attend: it's a combination of asking guys behind the scenes who was going to skip out anyhow plus suspensions for any legitimately healthy players who bail.  While the National Hockey League has fucked up all sorts of other things seven ways to Sunday, they've at least figured out how not to get embarassed by everyone ducking the "contest".  And since the ASG in that sport is a mid-season thing, suspensions have teeth because you don't get to appeal them and because you serve it right away.  (That, and the NFL would probably have a harder time justifying a one-game ban for someone skipping an All Star event.)

I stopped watching the Pro Bowl all together years ago when they changed it to the week before the SB (meaning any probowlers playing in the SB had to miss it) and they stopped showing it on the same cable channels 95% of regular and post-season games are played on.  It (and the person who made that change) is the biggest joke in the NFL now... thanks Goodell! lol

they changed the pro bowl format, which I like, but seriously stop playing it in Hawaii, no-one goes, why not do what you did last year and play it at Super Bowl stadium, I personally don't mind it being played the week before the Super Bowl, gives the teams in the Super Bowl more time to get fully healthy for the big game

P.s I will be watching it, and enjoying it :D

they changed the pro bowl format, which I like, but seriously stop playing it in Hawaii, no-one goes, why not do what you did last year and play it at Super Bowl stadium, I personally don't mind it being played the week before the Super Bowl, gives the teams in the Super Bowl more time to get fully healthy for the big game

P.s I will be watching it, and enjoying it :D

Not sure what you mean here.  Because the Pro Bowl was moved to the empty weekend between the Conference Championships and the Super Bowl, any probowler on a SB team cannot play (if they so desired) since they'd want to avoid any potential injury in the PB before the SB.  It's not like they moved the SB to accommodate the pro bowl, even when it was the week afterward, the SB was always 2 weeks after the last playoff game.  They've never been back to back.

The Pro Bowl is an absolute joke and has been for well over 5 years. It in no way, shape, or form compares to the NBA and All-Star weekend. If the NFL were smart they would either cancel the pro bowl altogether or try and make it more like the NBA. Why not add some skills challenges like those in the NBA? I can think of a few awesome ones right off the top of my head. QB accuracy competition, one handed catch competetion, field goal competition. It really doesn't matter, the Pro Bowl is boring and many NFL players just see it as a way to get injured and jeopardize their future. I mean there is a reason all seven of the Patriots dropped out, Antonio Brown is out, Big Ben is out, a matter of fact 133 players who were eligible to attend the pro bowl in any capacity decided not to attend. Change something...

The Pro Bowl is an absolute joke and has been for well over 5 years. It in no way, shape, or form compares to the NBA and All-Star weekend. If the NFL were smart they would either cancel the pro bowl altogether or try and make it more like the NBA. Why not add some skills challenges like those in the NBA? I can think of a few awesome ones right off the top of my head. QB accuracy competition, one handed catch competetion, field goal competition. It really doesn't matter, the Pro Bowl is boring and many NFL players just see it as a way to get injured and jeopardize their future. I mean there is a reason all seven of the Patriots dropped out, Antonio Brown is out, Big Ben is out, a matter of fact 133 players who were eligible to attend the pro bowl in any capacity decided not to attend. Change something...

Most of the players from conference championship always tend to not come, NBA all-star is boring too, it's just a load of dunks, NHL all star game is getting new format which hopefully makes it better. But we all know the best all star game is the MLB one, I would like the idea of skills stuff like on the Saturday like NBA and NHL does. Imo the format they have the pro bowl now is good and works, and will make the players try, since there great player who is coaching massively wants to win.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000628869/article/petition-aims-to-ban-cam-newton-from-seattle

Lol, this will never happen, but it would be quite hilarious if it did.  Imagine a world where all starting QBs are banned from entering the cities of their biggest rivals.  Too funny.

I'd ban Cam. That dude is the definition of a douchebag. I lost all respect for him when he tore down the Packers banner that the former army vet had that one game.
  • Like 2

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000628869/article/petition-aims-to-ban-cam-newton-from-seattle

Lol, this will never happen, but it would be quite hilarious if it did.  Imagine a world where all starting QBs are banned from entering the cities of their biggest rivals.  Too funny.

Didn't read the link but I'm assuming this is the petition that some idiot started to ban Cam from Century Link.  *sigh* it's bullshit like this that reflects on Seattle's entire fanbase and makes us all look like fools.

Didn't read the link but I'm assuming this is the petition that some idiot started to ban Cam from Century Link.  *sigh* it's bullshit like this that reflects on Seattle's entire fanbase and makes us all look like fools.

There's fans like this in every city.  I can't remember specifics, but this isn't the first time fans have tried to do something like this.  It would just be really funny if it passed, cause then every other team would do the same thing until the league stepped in (since obviously games would start sucking at that point) and did something about it.  Goodell loves to fine people relatively small amounts of money for their mistakes, so I would anticipate he'd fine the Seahawks organization $1,337.69, since it's a first offense, lol.

But don't worry, most people know that when a few dumb fans do something it might make the fanbase look bad, but only to those who can't separate a few crazy fans for the rest that just enjoy the sport for what it is.

It's officially time to do away with the probowl.  I mean, Teddy Bridgewater is in it for fucks sake.  Last I remember, he was considered to be the "weakness" of the Vikings, now, he's a "probowler".  Sad.

Don't blame Bridgewater, blame the NFL for not forcing players to play in the Pro Bowl. Half of the original picks sit out every year due to injuries like a hangnail or menstrual cramps. That's not Teddy's fault.

The Pro Bowl is a joke but not on Teddy's account. Players don't even tackle, it's pretty much two-hand touch. And don't get me started on the Pro Bowl draft and "Team Irvin" vs. "Team Rice"...

Don't blame Bridgewater, blame the NFL for not forcing players to play in the Pro Bowl. Half of the original picks sit out every year due to injuries like a hangnail or menstrual cramps. That's not Teddy's fault.

The Pro Bowl is a joke but not on Teddy's account. Players don't even tackle, it's pretty much two-hand touch. And don't get me started on the Pro Bowl draft and "Team Irvin" vs. "Team Rice"...

I'm not blaming him for anything, just using him as an example of why the pro bowl is a joke and needs to just go away.

Something has been on my mind for a couple days now. Speculation has it that Calvin Johnson will not play another football game in the NFL (He has not officially announced anything). I understand why he would want to walk away even though he does get paid 17 million dollars a year. I mean he has beyond enough money to live extremely comfortably for the rest of his life. But I cannot get something out of my mind. Is it possible that announcing retirement allows Megatron to get out of his contract? I mean it's clear the Lions are going nowhere fast, so why should he risk his well-being for essentially nothing? Would Calvin consider resigning to a championship caliber team? 3 options really strike my fancy: Packers, Seahawks, Patriots. Brady, Gronkowski, Edelman, and Megatron? Rodgers, Nelson, Cobb, and Megatron? Wilson, Lynch (Probably Rawls), Graham, Baldwin, Megatron? It's truly scary to think about some of these combinations. It would be a dream come true, honestly, if Megatron got to play for any of these teams. He would push any of these three teams into the echelon of greatest, most dominant offenses of all time in my mind. I assume that if he remained healthy for 16 games all receiving records would be in serious jeopardy (Especially on a team of pass-heavy offenses like Green Bay or New England). He deserves a title more than anybody in the NFL. I do not want to see him join the company of top 10 receivers like Randy Moss and Terrell Owens who have never won a Superbowl. 

Is it possible that announcing retirement allows Megatron to get out of his contract? 

Well, here's what I believe.  Mind you, I haven't delved into the legalities or the like, so everything starting from the next paragraph should be considered with that in mind.... but this is how I believe the process works from having watched it a few times:

Absolutely NOT, at least for the purposes of trying to force his way to another team.  All four major North American sports have language in their Collective Bargaining Agreements to explicitly prohibit this sort of thing; else, you'd likely see a lot of players use that loophole to try and "get out of Dodge".... or in the NBA/NHL/MLB, you'd see them use that loophole to try and get paid a lot more if they feel they are undervalued.

Calvin Johnson won't get paid if he retires, whether or not he files the formal papers to do so.  And the Lions will have the right to try and recoup a pro-rated portion of his signing bonus as to re-capture the salary cap space said bonus occupies (if they so desire).  But Calvin Johnson can't suddenly "un-retire" and go to another team unless the Lions choose to void his contract in its entirety.... and there's no benefit to them to do so.  If Megatron retires (formally or otherwise) and doesn't show up for Training Camp, et cetera, the Lions can simply put him on some sort of "restricted list" and not have to concern themselves any further.  Their rights to his services will remain protected without any undue cost to them.

Something has been on my mind for a couple days now. Speculation has it that Calvin Johnson will not play another football game in the NFL (He has not officially announced anything). I understand why he would want to walk away even though he does get paid 17 million dollars a year. I mean he has beyond enough money to live extremely comfortably for the rest of his life. But I cannot get something out of my mind. Is it possible that announcing retirement allows Megatron to get out of his contract? I mean it's clear the Lions are going nowhere fast, so why should he risk his well-being for essentially nothing? Would Calvin consider resigning to a championship caliber team? 3 options really strike my fancy: Packers, Seahawks, Patriots. Brady, Gronkowski, Edelman, and Megatron? Rodgers, Nelson, Cobb, and Megatron? Wilson, Lynch (Probably Rawls), Graham, Baldwin, Megatron? It's truly scary to think about some of these combinations. It would be a dream come true, honestly, if Megatron got to play for any of these teams. He would push any of these three teams into the echelon of greatest, most dominant offenses of all time in my mind. I assume that if he remained healthy for 16 games all receiving records would be in serious jeopardy (Especially on a team of pass-heavy offenses like Green Bay or New England). He deserves a title more than anybody in the NFL. I do not want to see him join the company of top 10 receivers like Randy Moss and Terrell Owens who have never won a Superbowl.

As more information and scientific data comes forward regarding CTE, you will see more of this in the future. Is it worth the risk of making insane amounts of money now, only to short-change your life span by years or even decades, and have severe mental deficiencies in your later life? Making the situation even more tragic is that close to two-thirds of all NFL players are bankrupt within five years of exiting the league.

Making the situation even more tragic is that close to two-thirds of all NFL players are bankrupt within five years of exiting the league.

For the vast majority of that group, their bankruptcies don't have a whole lot to do with CTE or medical expenses.  It has to do with their inability to budget while they're making money, their lack of suitable skills for having a job once football is over, their inability to adjust to a significantly smaller paycheck post-NFL, and their tendencies to spend like a drunken sailor on shore leave.

Lots of people have lousy economic skills and the like and consistent money issues.  It's not just NFL players, but they get a lot of the attention and a fair amount of "woe is them" commentary because they're "famous" and made a lot of money in a short period of time.

For the vast majority of that group, their bankruptcies don't have a whole lot to do with CTE or medical expenses.  It has to do with their inability to budget while they're making money, their lack of suitable skills for having a job once football is over, their inability to adjust to a significantly smaller paycheck post-NFL, and their tendencies to spend like a drunken sailor on shore leave.

Lots of people have lousy economic skills and the like and consistent money issues.  It's not just NFL players, but they get a lot of the attention and a fair amount of "woe is them" commentary because they're "famous" and made a lot of money in a short period of time.

Completely agree. Most players spend cash assuming they'll have 15-year careers, yet the average is only 3-4. I was alluding to it being tragic because they ruined their bodies, and now their brain, to earn a comfortable nest-egg that should last their lifetime, yet it doesn't. To have a broken body, a broken mind, and be broke is a terrible trifecta.