National Football League Thread

cmgravekeeper

I can't think of a Jets franchise QB since Ken O'Brien! And he was 'servicable' as a QB. I'd be willing to bet though that the revolving door at QB for the Jets (Sanchez, Bollinger, Smith, etc. etc.) isn't as bad as the cock-tease QB's of my team, the Vikings. For decades, there has been a real pre-season beauty at QB but once the season gets going and the makeup gets stripped off after a few games, it's nightmare-ish.

Examples? Randall Cunningham MVP-caliber in 1998, dud after that. Same thing with Favre two decades later.

First-round picks flaming out? Check. Daunte Culpepper, Christian Ponder.

Re-treads? Jim McMahon. Jeff George. Donovon McNabb.

QBs who cant throw? Tavaris Jackson, Joe Webb.

Guys who go onto win Super Bowls elsewhere? Yep. Brad Johnson, Rich Gannon.

- That's like asking RJ Reynolds if smoking is bad for your health.

Farve was at the very end of his career by any perspective, and if anyone was expecting a franchise quarterback from late 30s Cunningham and Mcnabb, they were unrealistic.  Culpepper was a true slinger and could have been great if not for knee injuries (if I remember correctly).  Travaris could have been serviceable or better with better developing.  He showed value with the Seahawks (and even with Minn).

Alright, this haaaaaaas to be Fisher's last year as a head coach right?  I mean, logic dictates he should have been fired a year or two ago and somehow he defied it, there's just no way he survives another 7-9 (or worse) season... right?

He's very good at keeping his job, I mean he should have been fired from tennessee in 2003-4 but he's the king of mediocrity

• Like 1

Alright, this haaaaaaas to be Fisher's last year as a head coach right?  I mean, logic dictates he should have been fired a year or two ago and somehow he defied it, there's just no way he survives another 7-9 (or worse) season... right?

Yeah he's gotta be fired after this season, too many medicore seasons,  the ways he's going he will have the most losses as head coach 

Tennessee really needs a new defensive coordinator, Dick Lebeau just isn't working out here.

You're asking Dick LeBeau to make chicken salad out of chicken feces here, right?  I mean, the TItans are NOT a good team and haven't been a good team for a while.  And that usually comes down to not having the talent.

Maybe it is LeBeau's fault, but I suspect he's not entirely to blame.  But firing a coordinator usually buys a head coach a little bit more time.

Everyone miss PATs or FG, and Mr. Reliability Phil Dawson made his 400th career FG!!! Well done Phil!

Hey, the Jets didn't miss any kicks today.  (I know, they had a bye week, but they still managed to not fuck that up.)

Keep predicting that year after year, you'll be right eventually.  After all, a stopped clock is right twice a day.  B)

• Like 1

Keep predicting that year after year, you'll be right eventually.  After all, a stopped clock is right twice a day.  B)

I'm not predicting anything, I'm asking why it hasn't happened yet and if it will (should) happen now.  I guess I understood St. Louis keeping him around because no one really cared, they're a baseball town through and through but now that they're in LA will it still be tolerated?  

All I can say is give Jim Caldwell, Jim Bob Cooter and Matt Stafford shares in the Lions and give them 10 year extensions.... How in the fuck do you win a game rushing for 10 yards? 6 4th quarter comebacks? I am waiting for that horseshoe to be turned sideways and stuck up every Detroit Lions fans ass (yeah all 3 of us) as we completely and totally suck.... Not Cleveland Brown suck..... Oh yeah we all ready went 0-16

I really hope C-boys and S-hawks are duking it out for the NFC championship.  That looks to be an exciting bout.  At the moment, I want Raiders and Pats to spar for their championship.  Raiders have decent competition till the end, and I hope they are still standing, I 'd like to see what they will do to each other.

Not enough.  They need to stop going oversees entirely.  And while they're at it, get rid of any non-Thanksgiving Thursday games too.  The players aren't mentally, or physically equipped to deal with the absurd time-zone switch or short weeks and the games/players suffer because of it.  The NFL is trying to get too many fingers into too many pies.  

• Like 2

It doesn't bother me as much, but then again I'm on the East Coast and these "early London games" are 9:00ish my time.  If I care about the game, I'm not getting up that much earlier than I normally do on a lazy Sunday just to watch it.

My opinion is that the early London game should only be a possibility if it's two Eastern U.S. teams, i.e., teams that normally play many of their home games at 1:00 PM.  Otherwise, you're really fucking with the usual schedules and body clocks of the players involved.

Not enough.  They need to stop going oversees entirely.  And while they're at it, get rid of any non-Thanksgiving Thursday games too.  The players aren't mentally, or physically equipped to deal with the absurd time-zone switch or short weeks and the games/players suffer because of it.  The NFL is trying to get too many fingers into too many pies.  

The emotional side of me agrees with you.  The intellectual side of me recognises that this will never happen because there's too much money involved and neither the Owners nor the Players -- the Union, not necessarily individual players -- really want to walk away from that.

I have a better solution to propose for the Thursday games:  teams involved in a Thursday game MUST have a bye the previous Sunday UNLESS it's a case where the team played the previous Thursday as well (like Detroit did last season), in which case they still must have their bye on the Sunday prior to the first Thursday game.  This way, teams aren't (traveling and) playing on a short week with a rapid turnaround, hopefully leading to better football.

I have a better solution to propose for the Thursday games:  teams involved in a Thursday game MUST have a bye the previous Sunday UNLESS it's a case where the team played the previous Thursday as well (like Detroit did last season), in which case they still must have their bye on the Sunday prior to the first Thursday game.  This way, teams aren't (traveling and) playing on a short week with a rapid turnaround, hopefully leading to better football.

I have brought this up with others before.  It makes sense.  but that would mean 1-3, 12, 14-17 wouldnt have them, and not all teams playing thanksgiving could play after a by (on current rotations). But ofcourse, money is greater than safety...

I have brought this up with others before.  It makes sense.  but that would mean 1-3, 12, 14-17 wouldnt have them, and not all teams playing thanksgiving could play after a by (on current rotations). But ofcourse, money is greater than safety...

You probably couldn't have them at the very end of the season, and you might not have a Thursday night game during Week 2 (because you probably don't want teams having byes on Week 1), but there are ways to massage the schedule to make the "no Thursday after playing the Sunday previous" system work.  It means spreading out the byes more and some teams having theirs either extremely early in the season or obnoxiously late in the campaign, or perhaps some teams playing on consecutive Thursday nights to make the scheduling magic work, but there are creative ways to get it done so that there's a Thursday game (almost) every week without making guys play on three days rest.

(Week 1 should not be an issue because it's not like teams play their starters and key reserves in the final preseason game anyhow.  Plus, those preseason finales are usually Thursday/Friday in the first place.)

It can be done.  The question is how much effort and juggling is required to do it and whether the parties in question want to go through that.  I don't think it's that much, and it allows the League and the Players to pay lip service to issues like "player safety" even if it's deemed that such changes have a marginal impact (at best) on that.

Alternately.... you could go back to the 18-week schedule that the NFL used for a few years and give teams two byes apiece.  And that would make it a lot easier to finesse the Thursday games AND give teams a week off after playing in London.  Though another partial solution to that one would be to make one of the teams that played in London to play the Thursday night game 10 days later.

Edited by acasser

My Week 12 NFL Tips

Lions over Vikings

My Cowboys over Redskins

Steelers over Colts

Falcons over Cardinals

Bills over Jags

Titans over Bears

Ravens over Bengals

Giants over Browns

Saints over Rams

Dolphins over 49ers

Texans over Chargers

Seahawks over Bucs

Raiders over Panthers

Patriots over Jets

Broncos over Chiefs

Eagles ove Packers

Take some chances man! Every week its all the safest picks!

Thinking the Buccs are gonna "upset" the Hawks.  10 A.M. start, no Bennett, no Earl, no Shead, no Prosise and Tampa Bay has been hot lately.  Has all the makings of a trap game.  Beyond that, maybe the Redskins could shock the world but I doubt it.  

Thinking the Buccs are gonna "upset" the Hawks.  10 A.M. start, no Bennett, no Earl, no Shead, no Prosise and Tampa Bay has been hot lately.  Has all the makings of a trap game.  Beyond that, maybe the Redskins could shock the world but I doubt it.  

Bennett's out?  Yeah, him and earl are the teeth and spine of the very talented "seafense". Rawls probably isnt 100% and they are down to the practice squad beyond him, so Buccs really don't seem like a crazy pick.

I'm starting to have faith in them Skins.   I'm hoping for a good game from them.

"Every week" is hyperbolic.  I just remember thinking last weeks picks were very safe too.