National Football League Thread

cmgravekeeper

7 hours ago, dmsleight said:

I think he should be the kick holder.  Romo is my favorite kick holder.

I've always thought that one of the things teams easily screw up is having the punter act as the holder.  I understand that the guy is used to catching long snaps and having him as the holder reduces the risk of injury to the backup QB, but it's not like QBs don't also have plenty of experience catching snaps.  Add to that the ability to get creative with fake kicks plus the ability to (perhaps) salvage bad snaps because a QB can throw and a punter usually cannot and I just don't understand it.

Then again, very few Head Coaches have much creativity in them at all.  And the need to cover their own ass tends to smother what little remains.

Bad spots, missed calls, picks that somehow weren't picks (if anyone can explain how that interception in the endzone wasn't an interception I'd love to hear it), dropped passes... just, ugliness everywhere you look.

And, of course, literally as I'm typing that Wilson connects with Locket for a 57 yard TD, lol.

9 hours ago, skidmarkgn said:

is this in bad taste?  I feel like it's in bad taste... but I'm cool with it.

romo.jpg

You read my mind.  Actually, you just read my post.  Eh, same thing.  This picture would be depressing, if the memory didn't brig me so much joy.  Seriously, I don't think you can find a more emotion packed sports pic.

4 hours ago, acasser said:

I've always thought that one of the things teams easily screw up is having the punter act as the holder.  I understand that the guy is used to catching long snaps and having him as the holder reduces the risk of injury to the backup QB, but it's not like QBs don't also have plenty of experience catching snaps.  Add to that the ability to get creative with fake kicks plus the ability to (perhaps) salvage bad snaps because a QB can throw and a punter usually cannot and I just don't understand it.

Then again, very few Head Coaches have much creativity in them at all.  And the need to cover their own ass tends to smother what little remains.

QB's should add possibilities, and the very least good hands (ROMO!)

2 hours ago, skidmarkgn said:

Bad spots, missed calls, picks that somehow weren't picks (if anyone can explain how that interception in the endzone wasn't an interception I'd love to hear it), dropped passes... just, ugliness everywhere you look.

And, of course, literally as I'm typing that Wilson connects with Locket for a 57 yard TD, lol.

The very best of TNF.  Like, taco bell, crap in a box.

9 hours ago, dmsleight said:

QB's should add possibilities, and the very least good hands (ROMO!)

If all you want are "good hands", you could use any number of other position players in that spot.  Wide receivers.  Defensive backs.  Et cetera.

Heck, think about all the players in the League these days who were Quarterbacks in college but move to other positions in the NFL.  Use one of THOSE guys as your holder -- e.g., Seattle could use Tanner McEvoy, a guy who played all over the place (offense and defense both!) while he was at Wisconsin.  It's not that you're necessarily trying to utilize trick plays in the kicking game.  To me, it's simply the idea that you MIGHT use a trick play and how the other side has to prepare for that and think about it.  And maybe it's the "counter" to defenders vaulting over the center on kicks, because a holder could pull the ball back, scramble around, and make a play with his feet or his arm because that defender is going to be locked in on the kicker and may not be able to adjust to a "fire drill" sort of play where the holder gets the ball out of there.

And it's not just the holder, either.  Use those converted QBs as the up-back on the punt team the way the Jets did with Tim Tebow the one year they had him.  Again, it's not necessarily the idea of running a fake -- although the Jets pulled a few because having an up-back who can throw a decent pass added options -- but making the defense be prepared for it and buying your "normal" play some additional time and breathing room.

But like I said above, most Coaches have very little creativity and their need to cover their own asses (and hang their players out to dry for things going topsy-turvy) means they're not likely to use it very much.  And that's a shame, because there's plenty of room for some tactical maneuvering and it frequently gains an advantage over teams that play "vanilla" ball.

If all you want are "good hands", you could use any number of other position players in that spot.  Wide receivers.  Defensive backs.  Et cetera.

Heck, think about all the players in the League these days who were Quarterbacks in college but move to other positions in the NFL.  Use one of THOSE guys as your holder -- e.g., Seattle could use Tanner McEvoy, a guy who played all over the place (offense and defense both!) while he was at Wisconsin.  It's not that you're necessarily trying to utilize trick plays in the kicking game.  To me, it's simply the idea that you MIGHT use a trick play and how the other side has to prepare for that and think about it.  And maybe it's the "counter" to defenders vaulting over the center on kicks, because a holder could pull the ball back, scramble around, and make a play with his feet or his arm because that defender is going to be locked in on the kicker and may not be able to adjust to a "fire drill" sort of play where the holder gets the ball out of there.

And it's not just the holder, either.  Use those converted QBs as the up-back on the punt team the way the Jets did with Tim Tebow the one year they had him.  Again, it's not necessarily the idea of running a fake -- although the Jets pulled a few because having an up-back who can throw a decent pass added options -- but making the defense be prepared for it and buying your "normal" play some additional time and breathing room.

But like I said above, most Coaches have very little creativity and their need to cover their own asses (and hang their players out to dry for things going topsy-turvy) means they're not likely to use it very much.  And that's a shame, because there's plenty of room for some tactical maneuvering and it frequently gains an advantage over teams that play "vanilla" ball.

I was intentionally vague with the "add possibilities" to include any trickery.  The back up OS play is a good idea too.  Hadn't really thought of that.

And I agree, coaches only get creative when theirs nothing on the line, like Carroll fake punting when up by 3 scores with 5 min left.    Thats when you see coaches 'play with balls'.  A lot of coaches get gutsy (only) when the fat lady is finding her key.

Some big upsets going on.  I know, its not even halftime, but its always heartwarming to see Steelers stumble.  Did I take up drinking?  Cuz Jags are looking pretty good. And just a small upset going down in Minnesota.  Running games are flat for Vikes and Steelers.  Bell just might be human

Actually, I should probably say, Houston is looking pretty bad.

Huge win For the 3 teams in the AFC South race.

Osweiler looks like he'll be on the bench now after Savage played decent, bet all that money they spent on him looks good now

Titans get a win i thought they wouldn't and showed how much they have improved this year

I gotta say it wtf Vikings, putting up that effort at home just garbage, whilst amazing from the colts 

And that game in  Pittsburgh on Christmas day is so huge now.

so anyone else think the Bears might have found there future qb with how Matt Barkley has been playing since having to start?

Methinks we're headed for Titans-Texans as your Week 17 Sunday Night Football game.  The only way that game isn't for the division title, the 4th seed, and the right to get their asses kicked in a home Wild Card game is if Tennessee loses AND Houston wins next week.  And since the Titans are playing Jacksonville....

4 hours ago, Rocko said:

so anyone else think the Bears might have found there future qb with how Matt Barkley has been playing since having to start?

No, but I could see Chicago fans and Management types talked into that theory.  And it's not the worst theory in the world, at least for next season, given how there's nothing worthwhile available in the Draft or Free Agency.

Wait! WAS played monday night and are playing again on sat?  Wth?  Regardless that they are chocking losers who, in all likelihood, just played themselves out of the playoffs (breath)! That's irrelevant.  Why?  What?  Who made that decision?  30 teams played on sunday or before.  they picked one of 2 teams that had a shortened week?  #Goodellfail  (I don't know what any of that twitter stuff is)

7 hours ago, dmsleight said:

Wait! WAS played monday night and are playing again on sat?  Wth?  Regardless that they are chocking losers who, in all likelihood, just played themselves out of the playoffs (breath)! That's irrelevant.  Why?  What?  Who made that decision?  30 teams played on sunday or before.  they picked one of 2 teams that had a shortened week?  #Goodellfail  (I don't know what any of that twitter stuff is)

Most of this upcoming weekend's schedule is being played Saturday on account of the holiday on Sunday.  Those few games that are being played on Sunday (or Monday) were hand-picked by the networks because they're national games and they want to try and draw ratings.

And Monday Night to Saturday afternoon is no more significant a "short week" than Sunday afternoon to Thursday night.  It's a silly idea in general and detrimental to "player safety", but we ought to be used to it by now.

Most of this upcoming weekend's schedule is being played Saturday on account of the holiday on Sunday.  Those few games that are being played on Sunday (or Monday) were hand-picked by the networks because they're national games and they want to try and draw ratings.

And Monday Night to Saturday afternoon is no more significant a "short week" than Sunday afternoon to Thursday night.  It's a silly idea in general and detrimental to "player safety", but we ought to be used to it by now.

I missed that most teams played on sat this week.

Used to doesn't = accept