National Football League Thread

cmgravekeeper

For the first time this season, gotta say go Green Bay.  Detroit is the only team that I think Seattle miiiiiiiiiiiight be able to beat next week.  Lately the Giants have been killing it on defense, especially pass rush so thank goodness they were able to run out the clock against San Fran today and avoid them, and Green Bay is a house of fire right now.  Maybe Seattle can wake up by next week and play like the unbeatable home-team they've looked like for most of the year but after that... who knows.

1 hour ago, skidmarkgn said:

For the first time this season, gotta say go Green Bay.  Detroit is the only team that I think Seattle miiiiiiiiiiiight be able to beat next week.  Lately the Giants have been killing it on defense, especially pass rush so thank goodness they were able to run out the clock against San Fran today and avoid them, and Green Bay is a house of fire right now.  Maybe Seattle can wake up by next week and play like the unbeatable home-team they've looked like for most of the year but after that... who knows.

The Seahawks would be a TERRIBLE matchup for the Giants.  All my friends and co-workers who are Giants fans are happy that they aren't going to Seattle because the Seahawks do a number of things well that the Giants simply handle poorly.  "Big Blue" has a puncher's chance against pretty much everyone in the playoffs, but they'd probably have more trouble with the Seahawks than with pretty much anyone else.

5 hours ago, acasser said:

The Seahawks would be a TERRIBLE matchup for the Giants.  All my friends and co-workers who are Giants fans are happy that they aren't going to Seattle because the Seahawks do a number of things well that the Giants simply handle poorly.  "Big Blue" has a puncher's chance against pretty much everyone in the playoffs, but they'd probably have more trouble with the Seahawks than with pretty much anyone else.

Right now, with the way the Hawks offense is playing I've got them being as good as the opponents pass rush allows.  The offense is so horrendous that they accumulated 10 yards during the entire 1st quarter against the freakin' 49ers.  10.  Yards.  The defense is obviously getting worn out and the injury list is pretty debilitating.  If it were anyoneother than the Lions, I'd put my money on one and done, against Detroit, 50/50, depending on which version of this damn Jeckyll and Hyde team shows up.

11 hours ago, skidmarkgn said:

Right now, with the way the Hawks offense is playing I've got them being as good as the opponents pass rush allows.  The offense is so horrendous that they accumulated 10 yards during the entire 1st quarter against the freakin' 49ers.  10.  Yards.  The defense is obviously getting worn out and the injury list is pretty debilitating.  If it were anyoneother than the Lions, I'd put my money on one and done, against Detroit, 50/50, depending on which version of this damn Jeckyll and Hyde team shows up.

I wish I could disagree with you, but the Lions are the only team I have any confidence for them to go against.  The Seajerks offense struggled against the worst defense.  Their defense didn't look great either, until SF's routine 2nd half siesta.  A bye would have been nice, but then they would have to face a real team.  I hope they can wake up and put a playoff run together, but I don't know any fan that has any confidence in them right now.

How bout them Skins?  Boy did they choke down the stretch.

6 hours ago, dmsleight said:

I wish I could disagree with you, but the Lions are the only team I have any confidence for them to go against.  The Seajerks offense struggled against the worst defense.  Their defense didn't look great either, until SF's routine 2nd half siesta.  A bye would have been nice, but then they would have to face a real team.  I hope they can wake up and put a playoff run together, but I don't know any fan that has any confidence in them right now.

How bout them Skins?  Boy did they choke down the stretch.

Yeah Redskins Really did chocke yesterday, but imagine if they had only kicked that field goal in London :giggle: 

Now we see what sort of decision they do with Cousins 

58 minutes ago, Rocko said:

Yeah Redskins Really did chocke yesterday, but imagine if they had only kicked that field goal in London :giggle: 

It wouldn't have mattered, because Washington would have been the first team eliminated in a three-team tiebreaker with Detroit and Tampa with all three teams at 9-7.  And even if Tampa had lost to Carolina yesterday, the Redskins still lose a heads-up tiebreak with the Lions.

Edited by acasser

38 minutes ago, acasser said:

It wouldn't have mattered, because Washington would have been the first team eliminated in a three-team tiebreaker with Detroit and Tampa with all three teams at 9-7.  And even if Tampa had lost to Carolina yesterday, the Redskins still lose a heads-up tiebreak with the Lions.

Thx for finding that out them, well then they still blew it yesterday 

Too many veteran quarterbacks will be available on the UFA market come early March.  Most of them aren't particularly good, but teams will have a lot of options if they want "a guy" for their roster.  Kirk Cousins may be better than most/all of them, but the volume of potential replacements will ding his value and might encourage Washington's Management to go in another direction if they want to save some cap dollars.

For that matter, the glut of veteran quarterbacks might drive the prices for the rest of them down, with the quickest to accept deals being the only ones who are guaranteed to actually land them.

So, MVP?  Me personally, I'd like to see Matt Ryan take it home.  Yeah, Rodgers has been on fire lately and Brady has his usual numbers, Prescott and Elliot are "leading" their team (lets switch O-lines between Seattle and Dallas and see what kind of numbers Wilson and Rawls could put up) to the #1 seed and have, apparently, already won the superbowl, but there's one thing that, in my eyes, puts Ryan on top.  He's been there doing it all year long.  

Brady missed 4 games to suspension and the team still went 3-1, Rodgers middle of the season was very underwhelming (it's the season MVP not the last 6 games MVP), Prescott and Elliot have, like I mentioned before, about as big of a cushion as any rookie could wish for with that O-line and schedule.  Ryan, on the other hand, has been there since week 1 playing at an extremely high level and truly leading his team to the #2 seed,  Honestly, how much have you heard about the Falcons run game or defense?  The Falcons have been overlooked and/or ignored all season and it's time to give them, or at least their QB, his due.

• Like 1

I don't expect the Dolphins to win on Sunday, but for ESPN to say they only have a 1% chance and to not even put their logo on the screen, but rather as a footnote. Just wow at the disrespect. We're (the fans I mean) are just happy to be in the playoffs, but it's not like they are a 7-9 team with no talent who barely got in. They earned it. The schedule was brutal before the season started. It's not their fault teams disappointed. 

Edited by Lilseb93

On 1/3/2017 at 2:18 PM, skidmarkgn said:

So, MVP?  Me personally, I'd like to see Matt Ryan take it home.  Yeah, Rodgers has been on fire lately and Brady has his usual numbers, Prescott and Elliot are "leading" their team (lets switch O-lines between Seattle and Dallas and see what kind of numbers Wilson and Rawls could put up) to the #1 seed and have, apparently, already won the superbowl, but there's one thing that, in my eyes, puts Ryan on top.  He's been there doing it all year long. 

How about simply voting the Dallas offensive line as the MVP?  Sure, it's a quixotic concept, because MVP might as well reduce to "best Quarterback or Running Back" because those are the glory positions that suck most of the attention, but they carried a team that was depending on rookies at a couple of "key" positions and a middling defense.

As for Matt Ryan?  Give him Offensive Player of the Year as a consolation prize.  Sure, the Falcons don't have too much beyond him and he put up marvelous numbers against (statistically) a tough defensive slate, but it's not like his schedule was THAT difficult.  The NFC West wasn't particularly good outside of Seattle, and Ryan's teams didn't beat very many teams that actually got into the postseason.  Those are demerits in my book, at least when it comes to "most valuable".

9 hours ago, skidmarkgn said:

Absolute insane catch by Richardson... that facemask though...

People will see that and overlook the fact that there was defensive PI.  It should have been offsetting penalties.  Baldwin, Richardson, Rawls and Wagner were beast.  Sherman was a terror tactic.  I hope they carry a lot of momentum with them into Atlanta.

Raiders had the same fate as Bengals last year.  Powerhouses with playoff killing QB injuries.  Thought the Raiders were a force, they were far to dependent on Carr, but unlike Houston, they don't have a defense.  It's too bad, I wanted to see what they could do.

6 hours ago, dmsleight said:

People will see that and overlook the fact that there was defensive PI.  It should have been offsetting penalties.  Baldwin, Richardson, Rawls and Wagner were beast.  Sherman was a terror tactic.  I hope they carry a lot of momentum with them into Atlanta.

Raiders had the same fate as Bengals last year.  Powerhouses with playoff killing QB injuries.  Thought the Raiders were a force, they were far to dependent on Carr, but unlike Houston, they don't have a defense.  It's too bad, I wanted to see what they could do.

Don't get me wrong, even though the officiating was insultingly bad in that game there's no way the Lions would have won.  Even if the refs had spotted Seattle 2 TD's and a field goal Seattle still wins.  6 points isn't ever going to win a playoff game.  

It's funny, all the post game shows and national talking heads are now all about "how do they stop this Atlanta offense".  Anyone who's pay'd any attention to Seattle should know by now that high powered offenses aren't Seattle's weakness, they've showed time and again they can handle an offense.  The only time they can't is when their own offense can't stay on the field for any amount of time and the defense wears out.  I'd honestly worry more if they had to play Houston than I would worry about the Falcons.  I mean, I don't expect Seattle to win on Sat. but I'm confident that they can at least make Atlanta fans sweat.  Earls absence is gonna hurt but again, the 1st time they played I believe Bennett, Kam and Rawls were out so it should be a pretty similar game.

With Thomas in, Seattle matches up perfectly with Atlanta.  They have an awful run defense and Sea's offense is optimal when the run sets up the pass.  In fact, when the run game works, sometimes they almost ignore the pass.  As you were saying, they match up well against teams that like long passes.  It is teams that can be consistent in the short passing game that find the chink in Sea's armor (Pat's are good at that against them).  But Thomas isn't playing, so the deep ball has a lot more possibility for success.  Wilson and Rawls will have to be very good.

Dolphins should throw in the towel.  10 plays, all handoffs to bell capped off with a TD run.  they clearly don't belong.