PS Plus Vote to Play - August

Saltyie

117 members have voted

1. 1. What PS Plus Vote to Play will you vote for in August 2015?

Wut...?  :blink:

Like, they weren't even joking or nuthin?

I don't know if the whole company thinks the same way and they could just be trying to jump on the indie bandwagon as its cool, but whoever said it said it sincerely can't remember if it was at E3 or the event before that, but it was fairly recently. I mean it is an accurate description as indie in gaming means independent. There's probably a reason they can claim to be as Ubisoft Montreal for example will be the dev team, but then Ubisoft is the publisher. I've no clue how funding works.

I mean the definition of indie gaming is:

"Independent video games (commonly referred to as indie games) are video games created by individuals or small teams generally without video game publisher financial support."

So any of their smaller games I guess technically is still an indie as long as the teams not big, lol. I guess they could even be more annoying and say well 1000 people worked at this but never more than 20 at a time, to encompass bigger games as indie.

EDIT: I also remember the best bit was as they said this thre was video of the giant floor of craploads of employees slaving away on computers.

Edited by Superbuu3

Indie...? Ubisoft isn't an indie.

It wasn't made by Ubi, it was made as a side project by a few peeps at Ubi, and when Ubi found out, instead of getting pissed, they helped them finish the game and then published it.

"Grow Home began development as an experimental project created by an eight-person team at Ubisoft Reflections, initially being launched internally for the staff."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grow_Home

An 8-person team making a game in their spare time is about as Indie as it gets.

Sounds like jumping on the bandwagon to me. I mean, they do occasionally publish things by un-attached dev teams, but for the most part they own or have a financial stake in the studios they publish games for. They may not always provide the development capitol, but I'd bet they usually take care of marketing budget and printing discs at a minimum.

It wasn't made by Ubi, it was made as a side project by a few peeps at Ubi, and when Ubi found out, instead of getting pissed, they helped them finish the game and then published it.

"Grow Home began development as an experimental project created by an eight-person team at Ubisoft Reflections, initially being launched internally for the staff."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grow_Home

An 8-person team making a game in their spare time is about as Indie as it gets.

Oh, I see. 

It's a bit of a half-way, isn't it. Because, on SuperBuu's definition of an indie, which I had always understood to be more or less correct, a publisher helping them to finish the game would invalidate "indie" status. 

It's probably not worth getting bent out of shape about I suppose. End of the day, the game looks cute, but not that interesting. I'll vote for something else. 

Sure, I mean Indie has become such a buzz word these days that it's used incorrectly more often than not, but I was pretty impressed that a small team set out to develop this game in Unity without any real support, and then once they succeeded, their studi (Ubisoft Reflections) decided it was a worthwhile project.  Now my guess is that the game was fully rigged and wired and they just needed a few extra hands to tie up the loose ends, and then of course Ubisoft published it.

Technically speaking, if you're under NDA (as all in the games industry would certainly be) any work you do at the office, using office supplies/equipment, or during hours which you are being paid by that employer (this is a tricky one) is all property of the employer.  Since Ubisoft uses Anvil, and this team used Unity, I expect this was not a fully funded Ubisoft project, if they were even aware that these individuals were making it in the first place.  At some point they asked people around the office to play it, and that's when it got noticed and picked up fully by Ubi.  I'm very curious if it was a 'this is cool, we'd like to help' scenario, or more of a 'hey, you did this on our time, hand it over or gtfo' scenario. 

Either way, the base game itself was done in Unity by an 8-person team, so I'm much more willing to lean towards indie for this one, whereas normally I would agree that any game developed by a large studio is in no way indie.  Also, publisher doesn't matter, at least when it comes to whether a game is indie-developed or not, as the publisher usually has little to no involvement in the development of a game by an indie studio.  Sure, big studios have publishers latched on from day 1, but indies usually have to develop a game almost entirely (or at the very least have proof of concept) before a publisher will even agree to work with them.  Of course that's where it gets all jumbled and muddy as you try to figure out how much involvement did the publisher really have on making the core aspect of the game what it is in the final product.  Either way, the game looked interesting to me, at least more so than the other 2 games in the poll, so I voted for it.  Chances are we'll see all 3 of these in Plus by the end of the year, so it probably doesn't matter much in the end :P

Edited by Matto_lsi

Hey guys.

So, I asked all 3 Devs on twitter whether their game will have a plat.

Grow home - No response as yet.

Armello - "will have a full suite of trophies"... Sounds like a "no" to me.

Zombie Vikings - Yes.

So, it may be that the only one with a plat is ZV. Ubi has a bigger presence and may have too many tweets to spot/reply to them all, but Grow Home doesn't seem like the kind of game which would have a plat. 

In case anyone wanted to know....

• Like 1

I'm going to vote for Armello. I just see myself being able to replay that more. Even zombie vikings says it has 10 hours of gameplay. Grow home got good reviews but it is already out, 90% of the people got bored before the four hour mark, and it's only 10 dollars on steam right now.  Why would I want a game that's already out instead of something new and shiny $$$

• Like 1

Hey guys.

So, I asked all 3 Devs on twitter whether their game will have a plat.

Grow home - No response as yet.

Armello - "will have a full suite of trophies"... Sounds like a "no" to me.

Zombie Vikings - Yes.

So, it may be that the only one with a plat is ZV. Ubi has a bigger presence and may have too many tweets to spot/reply to them all, but Grow Home doesn't seem like the kind of game which would have a plat. 

In case anyone wanted to know....

The bigger question is which one of these games will actually work at launch...

The bigger question is which one of these games will actually work at launch...

Who knows. I would bank on Grow Home there because it's a major publisher and has been out on PC for a while, so you'd hope most bugs are squashed. 

BTW, Zoink! also confirmed to me that Zombie Vikings will have both online and couch co-op.

4 player co-op sounds good to me. Zombie Vikings it is. Hope it has a plat. I need one for Z for the A-Z club.

It has a plat.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...