Well, it's not looking too good for the Xbox 360

Lady Lilith

http://www.ign.com/articles/2012/06/21/will-xbox-360-be-banned-in-the-united-states

I think I posted about this when I first got here, but now it looks even worse for Microsoft.

Of course, I'll be laughing my ass off if they ban 360 sales in the US. Not to mention that would take away the biggest supporter of the 360 by far. We can all hope that the impact will be severe enough to knock Microsoft and their awful practices out of the race. Although I'd rather not see Apple get in. I'd rather it'd be Sega, but that's not exactly realistic. I'd like it better if it were simply Nintendo vs Sony or something, except that Nintendo seems to be failing epically as well, so I'm not quite sure. Maybe someone from the past?

I think I posted about this when I first got here, but now it looks even worse for Microsoft.

Please check if you've created a thread in the future and update that rather than creating a possible duplicate thread.

On Topic, Its highly unlikely 360 sales will be banned. If it is, it will hit the gaming industry hard as a whole. I'm sure, not even the biggest PS/Nintendo fanboy wants that.

• Like 2

as much as i hate xbox if they werent around the playstation would hardly have any competition and no competition means slow progress

That's completely untrue. The PC is the obvious competition - it's inherently preferable, all other things being held equal, because 1) games are cheaper, 2) there's a better variety of games, both of which are because it's an open platform. If the PC becomes the cheapest way to get the prettiest, smoothest gaming experience, then consoles are doomed. That's Sony's motivation, as well as Microsoft's.

• Like 1

That's completely untrue. The PC is the obvious competition - it's inherently preferable, all other things being held equal, because 1) games are cheaper, 2) there's a better variety of games, both of which are because it's an open platform. If the PC becomes the cheapest way to get the prettiest, smoothest gaming experience, then consoles are doomed. That's Sony's motivation, as well as Microsoft's.

Well you don't see much JRPG on the PC except Maybe for Square games

• Like 1

Please check if you've created a thread in the future and update that rather than creating a possible duplicate thread.

On Topic, Its highly unlikely 360 sales will be banned. If it is, it will hit the gaming industry hard as a whole. I'm sure, not even the biggest PS/Nintendo fanboy wants that.

Um....I am a PS fanboy, and yes I would love to see the Xbox banned. It would be great for Sony, they would have the opportunity to have even more financial stability to then in turn finance even better technology for consoles and even better games. Not to mention, they could bring back some of the great forgotten Sony franchises. The PSN would see a huge improvement......I just really can not see a negative angle to this.

Agreed, even if Microsoft gets screwed, Sony would never stop innovating. Of that we can all be sure.

Um....I am a PS fanboy, and yes I would love to see the Xbox banned. It would be great for Sony, they would have the opportunity to have even more financial stability to then in turn finance even better technology for consoles and even better games. Not to mention, they could bring back some of the great forgotten Sony franchises. The PSN would see a huge improvement......I just really can not see a negative angle to this.

lol

Agreed, even if Microsoft gets screwed, Sony would never stop innovating. Of that we can all be sure.

Quite simply... you have no idea what you are talking about. I dont mean to be rude but think before you speak. If the Xbox was to be banned, do you have any idea on how this would affect current development and publishing?

• Like 4

Quite simply... you have no idea what you are talking about. I dont mean to be rude but think before you speak. If the Xbox was to be banned, do you have any idea on how this would affect current development and publishing?

I agree, I think this would have negative affects on the gaming industry as a whole. The only good thing about this would be less competition for sony and the playstation. But without this competition sony might get complacent and not see a need for innovation. This could actually have a negative impact on sony.

Edited by corytasman
  • Like 1

I agree, I think this would have negative affects on the gaming industry as a whole. The only good thing about this would be less competition for sony and the playstation. But without this competition sony might get complacent and not see a need for innovation. This could actually have a negative impact on sony.

I could see that. Kinda similar to how the PS3 "fell from grace" this generation. They probably didn't see Microsoft and Nintendo as real competition last generation (this was likely fueled from how they blew the N64 and Saturn out of the water in the 5th generations), and as such, got arrogant and cocky and released the PS3 at a ridiculouly high price. I feel that if Nintendo and Microsoft had better consoles last generation, Sony wouldn't have been as cocky.

• Like 1

Well you don't see much JRPG on the PC except Maybe for Square games

There are loads, they're just not usually from the big guys. Check out Barkley: Shut up and Jam Gaiden, Cthulhu Saves the World, Penny Arcade Adventures, Recettear, Starless Umbra, Alter A.I.L.A. Genesis, Septerra Core to name a few, as well as the SqEnix stuff like FF7, The Last Remnant, etc.

To be honest, AF, we're one year away from the next Xbox. Microsoft would most likely just make damn sure that there's no Motorola patents being used in that, and put a rush on it so it'd be released as soon as humanly possible to make up the drought in income for their game decision. If they threw enough money at it, they'd get it done in maybe 5 months tops for a surprise Christmas launch - they'd obviously start selling it at a loss, but that's not so unusual and it'd still mitigate the disaster pretty effectively, and it'd still sell because if there's one thing Microsoft's good at it's marketing. There'd be an immediate shift from 360 to 720 development internally to make sure the console wasn't dead on arrival, but most publishers probably wouldn't care too much because the install base is so large for the machine already that it's not really going to affect their bottom line. Perhaps a few of them would also start preparing launch titles.

Disclaimer: This is an optimistic view and I am not an economist. I am, however, a computer science student, for what that's worth. :P

Edit: This also provides a great example of why software patents are one of the great modern evils that hamper innovation severely. Please help to reform patents to make them fairer and more useful and relevant for all involved.

Edited by Pie
  • Like 1

I actually did think about this scenario alot before I posted. Yes, I understand that this would radically change the gaming world, but I do not think it would be negative for Playstation users whatsoever. I respectfully stand by what I said. That's just my opinion, and an opinion is all it is. B)

As has already been discussed, Sony does not get complacent. Besides, they always have the PC to push them on. Finally, undoubtedly, users leaving MS would join Nintendo and its Wii U and that may even spur Nintendo to for once release a true next-gen system thus taking the fight directly to Sony.

maybe from your point of view but i dont want consoles to become more like pc's and vice versa, so to me they are 2 very different platforms!!!

same goes for handhelds and ios!

As has already been discussed, Sony does not get complacent. Besides, they always have the PC to push them on. Finally, undoubtedly, users leaving MS would join Nintendo and its Wii U and that may even spur Nintendo to for once release a true next-gen system thus taking the fight directly to Sony.

tbh i cant see the vast majority of MS gamers moving to nintendo lol. not the MS gamers i know anyway!!!

Edited by ANTIOX_

tbh i cant see the vast majority of MS gamers moving to nintendo lol. not the MS gamers i know anyway!!!

Ok, well then in that case the majority probably move to Sony which raises it's sales considerably. I do not see how any of Sony's developers or the third-party developers would be hit hard. Think about it this way, the majority of the X360's support base would move to Sony, those players would still be buying games. It would be unlikely that third-party developers would see much of a hit if any at all. It is not like all the people that use Xbox would just die if it got banned. No, rather they would still be active consumers in the market, just they would be buying most likely from Sony.

Edited by DanielVT

It would be good for Sony...probably not for us. Initially, you'd see a new flood of games, but competition breeds innovation. Without a major competitor, don't expect to see ANY new revelations as far as future renditions of hardware goes. Without MS, the PS3 would not be as damn sexy as it currently is.

Also, expect game prices to go up along with a policy change for free online gaming...with no competition, Sony can charge whatever it wants and the consumer has no alternative to go to...

• Like 2

If you have good competition, good products come usually. This won't be a good thing if this happens. Not only will there be less games, but there will be less jobs as well. We're already going through this recession and less jobs can't be a good thing.

• Like 1

I am sticking with my opinion, but I am done discussing all of this. It is all speculation as obviously there is no way the Xbox is going to get banned. Unlike what some of you have indicated, I do indeed know what I am talking about, and am not stupid or clueless. I follow the gaming industry as a whole to such an extent that I am always going into a video game store and telling the guys there things they did not even know. The last time I checked this was a forum where we could discuss topics. I am sorry that seemingly the overwhelming majority of you guys dislike my opinion, but with all due respect I don't care. ;)

• Like 1

It would be good for Sony...probably not for us. Initially, you'd see a new flood of games, but competition breeds innovation. Without a major competitor, don't expect to see ANY new revelations as far as future renditions of hardware goes. Without MS, the PS3 would not be as damn sexy as it currently is.

Also, expect game prices to go up along with a policy change for free online gaming...with no competition, Sony can charge whatever it wants and the consumer has no alternative to go to...

exactly my point! :yay:

I am sticking with my opinion, but I am done discussing all of this. It is all speculation as obviously there is no way the Xbox is going to get banned. Unlike what some of you have indicated, I do indeed know what I am talking about, and am not stupid or clueless. I follow the gaming industry as a whole to such an extent that I am always going into a video game store and telling the guys there things they did not even know. The last time I checked this was a forum where we could discuss topics. I am sorry that seemingly the overwhelming majority of you guys dislike my opinion, but with all due respect I don't care. ;)

hey dude im not hating nor disliking your opinion, i think your point of view is a very valid one.

like you said its a discussion forum, if everyone had the same opinion then it would be dull as fuck lol

p.s i know what you mean about the video game stores B)

I follow the gaming industry as a whole to such an extent that I am always going into a video game store and telling the guys there things they did not even know.

I'm not surprised. Its rare you find someone in those stores that actually know the product.

You're entitled to your opinion, and as I said my intention wasnt to be rude. I also dont recall calling you stupid.

Of course it wouldnt directly affect Sony or anyone developing solely for them, but the games industry as a whole would be poorer without healthy competition. If you only have one leader out there who do they have to better? themselves? Trust me, if it hadnt been for healthy competition the PS3 itself, would likely still be selling for a stupidly high price.

As for developers being affected, many a studio has been broken by a game that never released or sold poorly on a chosen platform. If the Xbox were to be banned, and it sunk a couple of small devs going for their big break, thats a little less innovation out there.

Dont be so blinded by fanboyism that Sony care about the consumer, they dont. If any of the big 3 were out there on their own, the first thing they would do is shaft the customer. If there is no competition and you want that video system badly enough, you will buy it. simply because you have no other choice.

Thats the last I have to say on the issue.

• Like 2

Inherently preferable? Let's not get ahead of ourselves here.

Completely ignoring the fact that a quality gaming PC (that doesn't require the research, knowledge and planning of a custom built PC) will run you almost triple, or more, the cost of a console is just silly. Though admittedly I may be a bit jaded as I watch my brothers $1000+ custom built PC sitting on the kitchen table unused because of random blue-screens and errors that could be an issue with anything ranging from overheating to a defective video card or power supply... but I guess it's just "inherently preferable" to have to swap parts out one by one and spend the money replacing them until you narrow it down. Or do what my brother is and lay down another $700 on a less powerful, but more stable, custom built PC so you can play Diablo III.

As for your points...

1) Cheaper games: I'm guessing this is a result of battling a much larger threat of piracy and a lack of casual gamers gaming on the PC (thusly PC games need to come out a little cheaper to not push people away). I could easily see this changing and games being released at the exact same price as console should PC ever garner that much popularity amongst "hardcore"/casual gamers alike. Even Steam. It's just business.

2) More variety of games? Really? The PC has only a handful of exclusives worth mentioning and 90% of them are coming from the same company (Blizzard). The rest are just awful to mediocre MMORPG's and RTS's and god forbid you not have an unhealthy obsession with those genre's like most PC gamers. Let's have a peek at the variety of games you miss out on by gaming on the PC exclusively...

-Any Halo after 2.

-Any Gears of War after 1.

-Little Big Planet 1 & 2

-NHL and Madden games.

-The Uncharted's

-Marvel Ultimate Alliance 1 & 2

-Any Metal Gear Solid after 2 (unless you count emulation, then after 3)

-Lost Odyssey

-Any single player Final Fantasy after VIII (unless you count emulation, then after XII)

-Rayman Origins

-Heavy Rain

-Entire God of War series

-Killzone

-Any Team ICO game

-Yakuza

-Red Dead Redemption

Now that's a WIDE variety of games that you don't get to play... and that's just off the top of my head/looking through my current collection of games. And for what? Access to World of Warcraft and the 500 similar MMORPG's that followed it? Diablo III? Starcraft and League of Legends? Basically the three games that Blizzard has put out in the last ten years. That's variety?

Or are we just assuming that, despite everything stopping it, the PC would magically step in and take the Xbox's place should it fall out of the picture? The PC will NEVER be cheap enough or simple enough to be accessible to the casual gamer. And if it did, it would just become the new Xbox and lose the freedom and "openness" that makes it appealing anyways, based on your original points. Just look at the Mac/tablet direction computing has taken these days.

Edited by Dreakon139
  • Like 4

Microsoft is not Sega. Microsoft has billions of dollars to lose whereas Sega had only millions, and that is a big difference. MS would just release a new system asap like someone else said, they won't be siding with Nintendo OR Sony.

Also PC has it's target audience but it's generally not the same audience that is a console audience. It's like saying the DS and 360 are direct competitors. They're not, they target highly different demographics. Even though they both are gaming systems. Sure, there's some overlap of people who love both the DS & 360, but the majority (the millions, which is what matters) when looking for a system aren't thinking "Should I get a 360 or a DS?" It's most likely "Should I get a 360 or a PS3?".

I just don't think PC gamers and handheld system gamers are the same target audience as console system gamers, not in the majority of cases anyways. I don't think it would be good for gaming is MS left the console part for the same reasons as others have posted. Competition breeds innnovation.

• Like 1