Sony was surprised by Until Dawn's success

Finozzi1696

http://www.mcvuk.com/news/read/sony-was-surprised-by-until-dawn-s-success/0156688

It seems that Sony’s interactive survival horror Until Dawn, which hit PS4 last month, with Sony Studios boss Shuhei Yoshida telling Eurogamer that the game has performed better than expectations.

“I think everybody was caught by surprise by the positive reaction,” he said. “We can say it's a sleeper hit. I'm very happy with how the game was received.

“People have asked me why it wasn't marketed as much as other titles. It's a decision made by marketing departments in each region. Because of the focus on this Christmas time-frame, to really support the big third-party titles like Destiny and these titles, they didn't see the need to push Until Dawn that much from the platform marketing standpoint. Once it's recognised, originating with consumers, the marketing department can continue to support the title through Christmas with some creative ideas.”

Yoshida also said that the game’s success could have positive implications for the interactive drama genre.

“We're super happy with the reactions from people, especially people who are streaming or posting videos on YouTube,” he added. “It's super fun to watch other people play, even after you've finished the game, because other people make different choices.

“That's a really great thing for the future of the interactive drama genre. We're a big fan of this genre. These games can talk to a broader audience. You don't have to be good at playing games. You can even just watch your friend play the game. We believe this interactive drama genre can help expand the audience for console games.”

Edited by Finozzi1696
  • Like 3

http://www.mcvuk.com/news/read/sony-was-surprised-by-until-dawn-s-success/0156688

It seems that Sony’s interactive survival horror Until Dawn, which hit PS4 last month, falls into the latter camp, with Sony Studios boss Shuhei Yoshida telling Eurogamer that the game has performed better than expectations.

Until Dawn should be more careful and not fall so much.

Well, I think it was surprising for gamers themselves. A studio that hasn't created anything big(some remasters and DLCs only, from what I know) releases a game that achieves a really huge succes. And does it by presenting us such a cliché as a group of teens lost in the woods. Goddamn they made it epic. I just hope they'll surprise us with something as amazing in the future.

Well, I think it was surprising for gamers themselves. A studio that hasn't created anything big(some remasters and DLCs only, from what I know) releases a game that achieves a really huge succes. And does it by presenting us such a cliché as a group of teens lost in the woods. Goddamn they made it epic. I just hope they'll surprise us with something as amazing in the future.

I'd agree with this.  Games that go through development hell like Until Dawn are usually either complete trash, or are good but never quite live up to the hype.  Not that Until Dawn had much "hype" around it persay... but it was a name that kept popping up every couple of E3's with moderate amounts of interest.  I was about ready to completely write it off when I originally heard it was meant to be a game for the Move, for obvious reasons.  Mix that with a potentially awful teen slasher flick plot riddled with cliche's... there wasn't a ton working in their favor.

Thankfully, they managed to prove a lot of these predetermined notions of mine wrong.

Behold the power of youtube lets plays. Everyone and their dog did a lets play of this game and that can only help the sales. 

That's actually makes me wonder...

Since everyone did Let's plays... where's the reason to actually purchase the game?

You can just watch all the endings, possibly even all the choices and what remains...?

I rented it, it was a fun rental. The mechanics made me mad sometimes, you can tell it was meant for playstation move. The characters, I knew from the start I wanted them all dead except the heroes chick, and that's how it ended for me, with only her alive. I should have let her die as well, for the trophy :)

I might rent it again or pick it up cheap someday to get the platinum and see all of the outcomes. 

That's actually makes me wonder...

Since everyone did Let's plays... where's the reason to actually purchase the game?

You can just watch all the endings, possibly even all the choices and what remains...?

Yeah thats a concern people have with more story driven games. I guess its a double edged sword. When you rely on youtube communities to essentially do your marketing you run the risk of losing a lot of sales instead of gaining them. Especially for story driven games. If even 1% of pewdiepies subscribers bought Until Dawn after watching him play thats still around 300,000 copies. Thats a very shrewd example because not all subscribers watched the lets play but you get what I mean. 

Edited by Boooda

Good game but not worth 60€. I'll wait for it to be on sale under 15€.

OP: nice to see another PlayStation exclusive being appreciate so much!

Only 15? wow -_-

The game has more gameplay than most people think when they watch some trailers thinking it would be another "The Order".

From all the other "interactive movies" this is the only one that has more gameplay.

Until Dawn should be more careful and not fall so much.

I removed some words that were on the original article because I originally though they weren't important, sorry, follow the link

Edited by Finozzi1696

Only 15? wow -_-

The game has more gameplay than most people think when they watch some trailers thinking it would be another "The Order".

From all the other "interactive movies" this is the only one that has more gameplay.

Yeah I never play all more than 15-20 for offline only games.

It's kind of worrying that Sony didn't expect it to be a success, they should really start revising their marketing department. Considering how successful Heavy Rain and Beyond Two SOuls were and adding to that how much gamers were craving a survivial horror experience. It was sort of a given that this would do well, if done right.