SMB Bitching Thread

TheYuriG

33 minutes ago, A Pleb said:

Good luck with missile boy. If you just take it one world at a time you should be able to push through and eventually earn the platinum. The main thing I've noticed about this game is that with enough determination, it's definitely possible.

My main worry is Dark Rapture and Cotton Alley.

4-8X in Hell Dark is a pain in the ass. Had to use Meat Boy because Kid's double jump killed me one - two hundred times on those bouncing balls at the top.

3-18X in Salt Dark I fail quite a bit. It's easy to figure how the pattern at first. Problem is the color palette is piss bright yellow, and those blades while I'm waiting for the lock wall to come down kill me more times than not.

3-11X should be saved for last. With Kid you can double jump over those spinning blades and get to Bandage Girl pretty quickly.

33 minutes ago, jaehyun1009 said:

I haven't gotten that far so I can't tell you if that's really good or not, although it doesn't look like it took you too long to get through a handful of no-death runs.

I've not tried cotton alley worlds at all but they look absolutely brutal from what I've seen on youtube.

Yeah it's pretty surprising. I never played SMB before March this year, I only saw videos of the game in years past and for the most part avoided it like the plague.

Edited by Spaz

56 minutes ago, Spaz said:

Wow. That's a lot of deaths.

Platformers not your forte?

I'll post my image in a few hours.

I used to be great at them mario n sonic. I love platformers I'm just getting really bad or really old lol

I don't see how you all get the drive to keep playing. If I get the light ending trophy at some point, I'll consider it a success. That's how far I got on X360. I like games that challenge me in a fair way but I am much too easily distracted to keep spending weeks upon weeks in a single game.

Can anybody confirm if I die once on the first level I start, I don't die on all the other levels will the trophy unlock? 

Because if I can't then it's getting pretty annoying having to back to level select every single time. 

I've done 3-18X to the point where I know exactly how to do it. 3-17X however is complete bullshit. Missile launchers fire at twice the rate as normally and even with Flywrench I get my fucking ass kicked quite frequently.

EDIT: Got Missile Boy. I need a place to vent because if I do it in the open, people around me would get very upset.

Edited by Spaz

5 hours ago, Spaz said:

Can anybody confirm if I die once on the first level I start, I don't die on all the other levels will the trophy unlock? 

Because if I can't then it's getting pretty annoying having to back to level select every single time. 

I've done 3-18X to the point where I know exactly how to do it. 3-17X however is complete bullshit. Missile launchers fire at twice the rate as normally and even with Flywrench I get my fucking ass kicked quite frequently.

EDIT: Got Missile Boy. I need a place to vent because if I do it in the open, people around me would get very upset.

Yes you can die all you want on the first level. Level 17 is the first level I'm doing, its bullsh!t, with meatboy every move has to be perfect or your dead. I reckon once you get used to Cotton Alley it's a lot easier than Rapture.

My neighbours think I'm mental because I'm cursing constantly ?

6 hours ago, Spaz said:

Good job.

You can die on the first level of your streak and still get the no death trophy as long as you beat that level and don't die on the other 19 levels.

Hell Dark World.

Just wow.

I have played many hours to the point where I can do 4-1X through 4-11X without dying fairly easily. 4-8X and 4-10X still give me a little trouble every now and then (which is to be expected because of the narrow spaces you have to maneuver in) but I don't die much in those stages.

4-12X through 4-20X? Absolutely brutal.

Once eyes (Big Brother) and maws (an angry, explicit version of the Bullet Bill from the Mario game franchise) start coming into the picture, there is a huge difficulty spike. Very noticeable for anyone who played through those stages.

I literally cannot go from 4-12X through 4-20X without dying. I have started dozens of runs on 4-12X and I get my ass handed to me constantly.

But almost each and every time I can plow through the first 11 stages. Not always, but very frequently. I have no trouble with them.

4-12X through 4-20X is a crapshoot.

If I don't die from the maw in 4-16X, I will die from the one in 4-18X.

4-12X is shitty because in addition to dodging the eye lasers, you have to maneuver in a specific fashion. There is a block you have to use to go around the left eye counterclockwise. There is lava flowing down on it, if you jump a little too high on that block you will die from the lava. To make matters worse you have to get to the central platform in the stage quick enough because otherwise the eye lasers will kill you. That's in addition to the right block with lava coming down on it that you also need to use. It's extremely easy to die on those blocks. Many runs have failed because of these.

You can also slide on the walls opposite of the blocks rather than jumping on their sides, but you still need to use them to your advantage to avoid the lasers.

4-19X is awful. There is a maw at the top constantly firing away at you. Problem is almost all the blocks you can use as platforms in this area crumble. My strategy is usually to be quick and jump to that upper corner where there are no spikes. This doesn't often work and usually fails for me because those crumbling blocks mess up my attempts to get to that corner. Even when you are successful in getting to that corner (jumping constantly to avoid dying from the spikes) you can more than easily die to the maw because it will often shoot straight for you as you go down to get to Bandage Girl.

So basically you need to jump to a spot where the maw is going to shoot at you away from Bandage Girl before you go down and reach her.

I also tried just moving back and forth on the moving platform that brings you down to Bandage Girl, avoiding the maw. This is extremely risky, because more often than not you're not going to have enough time to reach Bandage Girl without the maw aiming straight for you and killing you, mere milliseconds from completing the stage.

4-20X is only bad because of those gears/saw blades at the beginning. It's difficult to get past them. You can however stand on the one block above the left saw blade that isn't covered with spikes and then jump on the moving platform, but quite often you will die getting to it because you may press the D-pad too far to the left and run into the spikes.

The rest of the stage is easy.

Some of the obstacles in the later stages, compared to the first 10 or 11 stages, are very difficult to get past. 4-17X is the best example. You have to time your jump just right to jump over both the "lava" ball and the bottom gear/saw blade. Not easy. Then of course there is dying to that saw blade at the beginning because you're pressing the X button rapidly on your no death run right when the stage starts.

What's funny is I can often pull a 15 - 17 level streak if I start from the first stage. After that I normally die from the maw or the eye lasers in 4-16X, or those "lava" balls on 4-17X.

There is absolutely no room for error in these later stages. It's pretty bad to be doing very well and then die to a maw or to those saw blades at the beginning of 4-20X.

Looks like I'm going to have to play 4-12X through 20X constantly in the next few days (or hours if I'm lucky) until I finally can get through them without dying. The first ten stages in Hell Dark World are easy for me, so if I can successfully get the later stages I'm in a very good position for Hell Boy.

EDIT: Obtained Demon Boy. Makes Missile Boy look easier in comparison. 

Took some big cohones and balls of steel to go after this. 

Edited by Spaz

Pretty pissed off as I just died one level away from impossible boy...on 7-5x. I was taking my time during the level until I decided to just be a maniac and tried to speedrun it, I just wanted to be done with this ?. Of course, knowing my luck, I completely miss timed my jump and then spent the next few minutes giving my neighbours something to complain about.

3 hours ago, A Pleb said:

Pretty pissed off as I just died one level away from impossible boy...on 7-5x. I was taking my time during the level until I decided to just be a maniac and tried to speedrun it, I just wanted to be done with this 1f629.png. Of course, knowing my luck, I completely miss timed my jump and then spent the next few minutes giving my neighbours something to complain about.

Ouch. Sorry to hear that man. 

As bad as Demon Boy was, Impossible Boy is much, much worse. 

At least Demon Boy had some easy stages.

Impossible Boy? There is none. Every single stage is difficult. All of them. 

But could you imagine the feeling when you get the trophy? 

I would hollar and cheer to the top of my lungs.

6 hours ago, A Pleb said:

Pretty pissed off as I just died one level away from impossible boy...on 7-5x. I was taking my time during the level until I decided to just be a maniac and tried to speedrun it, I just wanted to be done with this 1f629.png. Of course, knowing my luck, I completely miss timed my jump and then spent the next few minutes giving my neighbours something to complain about.

Ah if you can make it to the twentieth level and only mess up then you have it in the bag. Nerves get the better of you in no death runs, try an keep yourself calm. We'll be wishing you congrats soon ?

1 hour ago, Hogie838 said:

Ah if you can make it to the twentieth level and only mess up then you have it in the bag. Nerves get the better of you in no death runs, try an keep yourself calm. We'll be wishing you congrats soon 1f604.png

As long as I stop failing on the "easiest" levels right at the end then I should be alright ?.

1 hour ago, Spaz said:

I would save 7-16X for last A Pleb.

Plenty of time to go back to the stage select screen if you fail.

If you did all stages except 7-16X you got this trophy and platinum in the bag.

I've been doing 7-16x at about the halfway point of my runs. No way I could save it for last as I know I'll probably feel the pressure too much and do something stupid. Altered my order and I've now got 7-4x as the last one. We'll see if that pays off ?.

30 minutes ago, A Pleb said:

As long as I stop failing on the "easiest" levels right at the end then I should be alright 1f60f.png.

I've been doing 7-16x at about the halfway point of my runs. No way I could save it for last as I know I'll probably feel the pressure too much and do something stupid. Altered my order and I've now got 7-4x as the last one. We'll see if that pays off 1f600.png.

How long did it take you to do good in your runs?

That's pretty impressive considering how difficult Cotton Alley is.

Well here is my death counter after beating Demon Boy:

iqyovq.jpg

Accumulated over 1000 deaths attempting this trophy. This will probably double by the time I get Impossible Boy.

I reckon I will be around 13,000 - 25,000 deaths when I get the platinum.

Edited by Spaz
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Spaz said:

iqyovq.jpg

Accumulated over 1000 deaths attempting this trophy. This will probably double by the time I get Impossible Boy.

Wow, great job. Last time you were all in doubt if you wanted to play this game. Now you are on your way to platinum. Good luck to everyone! I wonder what happened to Yuri. I can't view his profile. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Spaz said:

That's pretty impressive considering how difficult Cotton Alley is.

iqyovq.jpg

keep it up man, just keep being confident and keep trying and you'll join the club. I never thought I'd be able to do it but all the people earlier in the thread were all giving each other positive energy and I managed to blast through Cotten Alley within a week and had the platinum. We all believe in you lol  https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=EYMh4DUJzeI

59 minutes ago, reckscollie said:

Wow, great job. Last time you were all in doubt if you wanted to play this game. Now you are on your way to platinum. Good luck to everyone! I wonder what happened to Yuri. I can't view his profile. 

15 minutes ago, AustinMichael1 said:

keep it up man, just keep being confident and keep trying and you'll join the club. I never thought I'd be able to do it but all the people earlier in the thread were all giving each other positive energy and I managed to blast through Cotten Alley within a week and had the platinum. We all believe in you lol  https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=EYMh4DUJzeI

Thanks guys. Really means a lot to me.

I had prior experience in platformers long before Super Meat Boy came out on 360 and Steam. 

I can basically run through Sonic the Hedgehog 2 and Super Mario Bros 3 in one go. Sometimes Super Mario Bros 1 as well.

Battletoads? That's a different story.

Yuri went to the Discord group. I really want to see his guides. I've waited a few months now.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Spaz said:

Yuri went to the Discord group. I really want to see his guides. I've waited a few months now.

What is that? ? You'll never beat my top score  Spaz ? I'm trying Dark Factory for the last time today if I can't get past it then I'm giving up. It's so annoying because I can do every level ?

Edited by Hogie838

19 hours ago, Spaz said:

Impossible Boy? There is none. Every single stage is difficult. All of them. 

You're right and you're wrong to some extent, there are some very very difficult levels there and every stage on Impossible Boy looks incredibly intimidating but like the rest of the no death runs they become easier and easier with practice.

7-3X, 7-4X, 7-5X, 7-7X, 7-10X, 7-16X & 7-17X are practically free levels when you practice them enough.

Just got the platinum ?. Never thought I'd get it but I stuck at it and persisted on. Thanks to the people who've posted in this forum, which really kept me motivated even when I was dying one or two levels away from finishing. 

Finished with a total of 8179 deaths.

Edited by A Pleb
  • Like 4

2 hours ago, A Pleb said:

Just got the platinum 1f600.png. Never thought I'd get it but I stuck at it and persisted on. Thanks to the people who've posted in this forum, which really kept me motivated even when I was dying one or two levels away from finishing. 

Finished with a total of 8179 deaths.

Awesome job!! 

You managed with less deaths. Obviously I'm going to have 12,000 - 15,000 deaths when I'm done.

Great job. Now I need to make progress.

• Like 1