SMB Bitching Thread

TheYuriG

37 minutes ago, reckscollie said:

Just remember how weak I am.

zW65dcMl.jpg

Ah sure we're in the same boat ? I see you played Furi was thinking of giving it a go how hard is it? Worse than SMB?

Edited by Hogie838

7 hours ago, Hogie838 said:

Ah sure we're in the same boat 1f600.png I see you played Furi was thinking of giving it a go how hard is it? Worse than SMB?

I can't say it's easier. I still haven't got time to go back for the harder trophies. I'm full of backlogs I don't know what to do first. 

8 hours ago, Hogie838 said:

I see you played Furi was thinking of giving it a go how hard is it? Worse than SMB?

If you want something similar to SMB, then I'd recommend N++ or Fenix Furia! :) You will probably rage a whole lot less, though in-game 100% of N++ is many times harder than SMB, but the trophies aren't. :) 

Edited by MMDE

59 minutes ago, MMDE said:

If you want something similar to SMB, then I'd recommend N++ or Fenix Furia! :) You will probably rage a whole lot less, though in-game 100% of N++ is many times harder than SMB, but the trophies aren't. :) 

Thanks. If I ever get this game finished I'll give them a go. I'm stuck on the easier levels, never mind the hard ones ? You gonna try and beat it?

I'm about to join this madness but can't decide if I should play on the vita or ps4.

I tend to play on the vita, but can someone tell if the performance on the vita is good? With such a game, I think a flawless performance without fps drops or similar is very important ( what some other vita games have)

2 minutes ago, Blackbird4769 said:

I'm about to join this madness but can't decide if I should play on the vita or ps4.

I tend to play on the vita, but can someone tell if the performance on the vita is good? With such a game, I think a flawless performance without fps drops or similar is very important ( what some other vita games have)

I played a little bit on the vita and it seemed okay. But I personally find the vita awkward to play any game on and I rarely use it. Having the cross save though is pretty handy so you can switch between the two anyway and see which you prefer.

7 minutes ago, Blackbird4769 said:

I also prefer to use the ps4. Just comes down to your own preference.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Hogie838 said:

Thanks. If I ever get this game finished I'll give them a go. I'm stuck on the easier levels, never mind the hard ones 1f61b.png You gonna try and beat it?

I got too frustrated with SMB's lack restart level button. Neither a too massive fan of several levels in a row without dying. :P 

1 hour ago, MMDE said:

I got too frustrated with SMB's lack restart level button. Neither a too massive fan of several levels in a row without dying. :P 

I think that the game should have a restart option during levels too, as the game can glitch upon leaving to map selection sometimes.

Edited by Deceptrox
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Deceptrox said:

I think that the game should have a restart option during levels too, as the game can glitch upon leaving to map selection sometimes.

Yeah, but in the two games I mentioned you got a button dedicated to just restarting the level. It's just to hit the button to restart the level. :) 

15 minutes ago, MMDE said:

Yeah, but in the two games I mentioned you got a button dedicated to just restarting the level. It's just to hit the button to restart the level. :) 

Super Meat Boy has a bunch of buttons to restart the level. They're called "every button when you're not supposed to press it at that exact moment".

• Like 3

1 minute ago, BillyHorrible said:

Super Meat Boy has a bunch of buttons to restart the level. They're called "every button when you're not supposed to press it at that exact moment".

Ha yeah, the ones that get you killed!! LOL I just got Missile Boy - 5 days I've been at it. My hands are shaking like crazy, what will I be like going for Impossible Boy ?

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, Hogie838 said:

Ha yeah, the ones that get you killed!! LOL I just got Missile Boy - 5 days I've been at it. My hands are shaking like crazy, what will I be like going for Impossible Boy ?

Exactly. Spent six hours straight going for Missile Boy. 

Demon Boy will be next. If you can get that then Maggot Boy is a cakewalk. 

I struggled with Dark Rapture last night on practice runs. Many sections where you have to jump over little gears, avoid seeking missiles and saw blades, and complete rather lengthy stages. Dark Hell has a lot of easier levels mixed in with some tougher ones. Dark Rapture has maybe a few easier levels at most, the rest are either difficult or ones you can more than easily die to a mistake. Zombie Boy is a definite spike in difficulty compared to Hell Boy.

I will say it's extremely difficult to jump over those gears at the end of 5-5X. You have to speed run the first bit and hit a button while the platform under you is catching up. You have to drop to the bottom in time, jump over the three little gears and then hit yet another button with two gears blocking an otherwise easy path to Bandage Girl. It is possible to use Meat Boy but it's very difficult to jump over that left gear and not die, and doing this before the platform comes back. Using The Kid makes this section much easier but you absolutely cannot make mistakes in the beginning. Often he is too slow and I'm stuck in that box you're trapped in if you were too slow to jump down to the bottom after hitting that second button.

5-8X is daunting but easy once you know the pattern.

5-18X is the bane of me, I can get the key with little problems but getting to Bandage Girl is a problem. Lots of missiles that can more than easily kill you. 

5-20X has a difficult first section, but easy once you get past it. 

5-9X is easily one of the worst levels. Not bad because of the missiles but because of the red guys. I always try to get them killed by the missiles but their pattern is very wonky, which leads to me often dying by the missiles. Sometimes I can make it through no problem, other attempts I die. 

The rest of the levels I haven't played much. Will play them tonight.

5-7X is somewhat a pain because you have to grab the two keys in time and jump over the small gears. Everyone but Meat Boy is too slow, it's possible to use The Kid and Commander Video but they often fail because there is a very good chance you will not grab that second key falling down into the pit. Plus you have to time their jumps differently over the small gears. 

Dark Rapture sucks. I actually think Light Cotton Alley has more easier levels, but I still have problems with certain ones. 7-10 and 7-11 are shit. I consider 7-11 to be the worst level. But I think I can do Light Cotton Alley in the next few days if I focus on the hard levels first. Dark Rapture will likely take longer. 

Edited by Spaz
  • Like 1

49 minutes ago, Spaz said:

Exactly. Spent six hours straight going for Missile Boy. 

Demon Boy will be next. If you can get that then Maggot Boy is a cakewalk. 

I struggled with Dark Rapture last night on practice runs. Many sections where you have to jump over little gears, avoid seeking missiles and saw blades, and complete rather lengthy stages. Dark Hell has a lot of easier levels mixed in with some tougher ones. Dark Rapture has maybe a few easier levels at most, the rest are either difficult or ones you can more than easily die to a mistake. Zombie Boy is a definite spike in difficulty compared to Hell Boy.

I will say it's extremely difficult to jump over those gears at the end of 5-5X. You have to speed run the first bit and hit a button while the platform under you is catching up. You have to drop to the bottom in time, jump over the three little gears and then hit yet another button with two gears blocking an otherwise easy path to Bandage Girl. It is possible to use Meat Boy but it's very difficult to jump over that left gear and not die, and doing this before the platform comes back. Using The Kid makes this section much easier but you absolutely cannot make mistakes in the beginning. Often he is too slow and I'm stuck in that box you're trapped in if you were too slow to jump down to the bottom after hitting that second button.

5-8X is daunting but easy once you know the pattern.

5-18X is the bane of me, I can get the key with little problems but getting to Bandage Girl is a problem. Lots of missiles that can more than easily kill you. 

5-20X has a difficult first section, but easy once you get past it. 

5-9X is easily one of the worst levels. Not bad because of the missiles but because of the red guys. I always try to get them killed by the missiles but their pattern is very wonky, which leads to me often dying by the missiles. Sometimes I can make it through no problem, other attempts I die. 

The rest of the levels I haven't played much. Will play them tonight.

5-7X is somewhat a pain because you have to grab the two keys in time and jump over the small gears. Everyone but Meat Boy is too slow, it's possible to use The Kid and Commander Video but they often fail because there is a very good chance you will not grab that second key falling down into the pit. Plus you have to time their jumps differently over the small gears. 

Dark Rapture sucks. I actually think Light Cotton Alley has more easier levels, but I still have problems with certain ones. 7-10 and 7-11 are shit. I consider 7-11 to be the worst level. But I think I can do Light Cotton Alley in the next few days if I focus on the hard levels first. Dark Rapture will likely take longer. 

Maybe take a break from Dark Rapture and try Cotton Alley for awhile. You may be surprised when you go back to Rapture it might not seem as difficult. Also if you get Cotton Alley complete it will make you more determined to get Dark Rapture. Just an idea...

28 minutes ago, Hogie838 said:

Maybe take a break from Dark Rapture and try Cotton Alley for awhile. You may be surprised when you go back to Rapture it might not seem as difficult. Also if you get Cotton Alley complete it will make you more determined to get Dark Rapture. Just an idea...

Dark Cotton Alley is the most difficult without question. Light Cotton Alley is much easier. 

Some of its levels are still a pain. The ones with the missiles, and the last level although it's not bad if you do it first. 

Going to take a lot more practice compared to when I got Demon Boy.

Edited by Spaz

On May 20, 2017 at 0:31 PM, Hogie838 said:

I have to give this up for awhile, my head is wrecked - it's really driving me mad. I may come back and try again in a few months.

Light Rapture is easy. First ten levels or so on Hell Dark are fairly easy. Still difficult though, but very doable.

I'm taking a break from Dark Rapture and Cotton Alley. The game really ramps up on these last no death areas. So much in fact I'd rather do Demon Boy again than go after Zombie Boy.

• 3 weeks later...
On 2017-5-17 at 11:08 PM, Spaz said:

I would save 7-16X for last A Pleb.

Plenty of time to go back to the stage select screen if you fail.

If you did all stages except 7-16X you got this trophy and platinum in the bag.

Nope. I died 3 times on a 19 streak on 16x. nerves will get the best of you, that's why I didn't leave it for last. I saved the one with all the big round monsters that come after you for last, which you can horde up. Can't remember what it was, it's almost been a month already since this juicy platinum popped. Time flies.

49 minutes ago, kilspeed111 said:

Nope. I died 3 times on a 19 streak on 16x. nerves will get the best of you, that's why I didn't leave it for last. I saved the one with all the big round monsters that come after you for last, which you can horde up. Can't remember what it was, it's almost been a month already since this juicy platinum popped. Time flies.

7-18X.

Yeah nerves suck. Super Meat Boy would be a lot easier if we didn't have feelings.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Spaz said:

7-18X.

Yeah nerves suck. Super Meat Boy would be a lot easier if we didn't have feelings.

Wouldn't most things be in life? :P

7-18x yeah. I feel that that is the easiest level to keep for last, as even when you're high on adrenaline, it's easy to know for sure when you're gonna mess up. on 16x i was bound to just say 'fuck it, risk it for the biscuit' and then obviously die when I tried scraping past a saw blade. That's just my 2 cents though, it seems to be different for everyone.

2 hours ago, kilspeed111 said:

Wouldn't most things be in life? :P

7-18x yeah. I feel that that is the easiest level to keep for last, as even when you're high on adrenaline, it's easy to know for sure when you're gonna mess up. on 16x i was bound to just say 'fuck it, risk it for the biscuit' and then obviously die when I tried scraping past a saw blade. That's just my 2 cents though, it seems to be different for everyone.

Would you recommend I go after Zombie Boy or Girl Boy first?

I think Girl Boy is overall easier due to the number of levels being a bit easier when compared to Zombie Boy. Plenty of room to go back to map if you fail on a few of them. However 7 - 10 and 7 - 11 are my bane. Very easy to make a mistake and die to the missiles. 7 - 15 can be frustrating but it's not too terrible once you know the maw patterns.

7 - 20 is basically a test of endurance. 7 - 13 can be frustrating because of the pink lava. 7 - 7 and 7 - 16 are both luck based but lots of room to retry (exit to map screen) so they're not all that bad.

Other than that I can usually pull several levels at a time without dying.

Zombie Boy on the other hand is just a massive pain. Far too much that can go wrong, and it's not just one or two levels it's most of all the levels in Dark Rapture.

@Hemiak For somebody older than me who finished Super Meat Boy in just under four weeks, that's pretty fucking impressive. I will admit, while I'm good at platformers I'm not THAT good.

You landed a spot in the top 50 fastest achievers. That's respect right there.

I don't know how long I spent getting the first several no death trophies but I do know how much I spent on Missile Boy and Demon Boy.

Missile Boy - 6 Hours (7:30 pm - 1:30 am)

Demon Boy - 10 - 11 Hours (3:30 pm - 3:00 am). Took a bit of a break inbetween.

Maggot Boy is easy, so that was by far my easiest compared to the other two.

I'm at around 8500 - 8800 deaths, don't know the exact number. I will state that I'm not going to finish this game with 11K deaths, it will probably be around 15000 - 20000.

Playing the levels in order is pretty risky because I know for a fact that 5-20X and 7-20 in Dark Rapture and Light Cotton Alley respectively are much harder than 5-1X and 7-1. My nerves can't handle that, because I will more than likely die to something stupid at 5-20X, therefore ruining my entire run and having to start all over.

I'll get back to Super Meat Boy at some point, but probably not until I get 100 platinums since I have other games on my backlog I've been neglecting for the better part of two years.

Edited by Spaz