The most common response to pre-orders is "sadness", according to Adobe

StrickenBiged

Here's a link to the article on GamesIndustry.biz, which has the news. The article contains a link through to the report. 

The relevant slide from the report is this one:

us-gaming-trends-report-6-638.jpg?cb=144

The data shows that the most common emotion associated with preorders was sadness (33%). However, this is closely followed by joy (18%), admiration (18%), disgust (16%), surprise (9%), anger (3%), anticipation (2%) and fear (1%). (The smaller numbers come from the footnotes to the report and are not visible on the slide.)

The graph on the right shows that pre-orders are up in 2015 by 24% against 2014, and revenues are up 33%. The slide also lists the games that have been looked at to generate the data. 

Aggregating it a little further than the article does, negative emotions (sadness, disgust, anger, fear) slightly outweigh positive ones; accounting for 53% of the reactions, against 47% for the positive emotions (joy, admiration, surprise, anticipation). 

Given that pre-orders and revenues are up in spite of this, the implication seems to be that while some gamers may bitch about pre-orders on social media, we nonetheless pre-order in spite of our expressed feelings. 

Thoughts?

Let me guess, that 1% is you? xD

You know today, I went in to pick up some games as I usually do on Thursdays, and this other person wanted the Special Edition WWE 2K16. Unfortunately, that was already sold out on its pre-orders, and so the person was disappointed.

I simply need to ask what were the responses to: the concept of pre-orders, unable to pre-order, the insufficient attachments placed in a pre-order bonus, the fact some of the stuff they attach used to be earned in game a decade ago... are we supposed to take this information as is, knowing that the evaluation is vague in its nature? (Note: not bothered reading the actual article, just going with the what is in the OP)

StrickenBiged's pre-order vendetta on the rise people xD

that's very interesting, if not a little disheartening. this is kind of how things go with consumable media though, people want the latest and greatest immediately. people want to play it day 1, talk about it with their friends, etc. publishers know this, so they craft up very specific marketing material and that material is the only thing consumers know about a game pre-release. when it all comes down, there's really just no point in pre-ordering a AAA game. there's no reason to wager $60 on a game that's held behind embargo when said game will be readily available in any retail store on day 1. i remember going to best buy in the middle of the afternoon on the day COD: AW came out and there were still hundreds of copies there. this is further true when considering the popularity of digital downloads because of their pure convenience. even if a game reviews well pre-release, many problems don't become apparent until after launch, a la Halo MCC. 

i also just want to say how stupid it is that AC Syndicate is up there in pre-orders despite the atrocity that was AC Unity's launch. just smh

Thoughts?

People will keep bitching about it, yet keep doing pre-orders, so this is very unlikely to ever end.

Just couldn't understand why sadness is the most common feeling. I'm closer to rage than anything, but why would someone be sad about that kind of stuff? Because they couldn't get what they wanted, perhaps?

• Like 2

Yeah, I thought it was strange that "sadness" was the most commonly expressed emotion. It would have been helpful if the data miners had included some example comments and posts by social media users to demonstrate what a "sad" post looks like, compared to an "angry" or "disgusted" one. Like... "Oh no! Those bastards are going to fuck up this game!" could be sadness, anger and fear all rolled together. 

Overall though, nothing is likely to change off of this. As long as the numbers keep growing, that's what the publishers care about. The only thing that will "kill" pre-orders at this point is going to be if people stop buying the games and stop pre-ordering.

I've said before that I am part of the problem, even if my reasons are different. I pre-order from Amazon because they do a pre-order guarantee so I only pay the lowest price between my order and release day, which typically saves me £10-£15 against each game's RRP. I think that's fair enough - agreeing to buy something before it's released should, I think, get you a discount. I always make sure I get the basic version of the game though, (no season passes or special boxes here) and I'm yet to see a LE that interests me. I also cancel if a game starts pulling bullshit, (e.g. with Arkham Knight when they announced their Season Pass - I'll wait for the GOTY thank you WB!).

Now, the publishers can't tell the difference between people like me, who only pre-order to save money, and people who actually are enticed by the bonuses. I am a bad person too.  -_-

I wouldn't call that a report. More like a child's PowerPoint. The portion which we are taking about here is only 2 pages and has no sources.

I believe when they say preorder, they encompass all the adds, events, press, demos related to game being preordered.

Edited by MutinyTeddie

I've only preordered 2 games: The witcher 3 and the Nathan Drake collection

The first was due to the hype and the presentation. Furthermore I kinda "knew" it was good. Some games you can antecipate. The NDC I already knew it was good, so I wanted the special edition as soon as possible.

And I get that people pre-order Fallout 4. Some companies do not usually disappoint

However, sadness is kinda weird. Anger and antecipation should be more used to describe.

Personally, I don't care. People that really want a game and are not concern with its possible failure should buy it earlier if they intend. If not, wait till reviews. 

bmg_ps.png

I wouldn't call that a report. More like a child's PowerPoint. The portion which we are taking about here is only 2 pages and has no sources.

I believe when they say preorder, they encompass all the adds, events, press, demos related to game being preordered.

It's a summary, sure. 

Here's what their notes say about the methodology:

11 ADOBE DIGITAL INDEX Methodology Based on consumer data comprising of 4B+ global visits between 2014 and 2015. Composed of aggregated and anonymous data from visits to websites in multiple industries and segments. Report based on (20)+ million engagements (mentions, likes, shares, “official” page likes and followers.) Blogs, Facebook, G+, Reddit, Twitter, Dailymotion, Flickr, Instagram, Tumblr, VK, Disqus, Foursquare, Metacafe, Wordpress, and YouTube. Social engagements is publically available based on a aggregate total. Data from Adobe Marketing Cloud Solutions leveraged: Adobe Social, Adobe Analytics. Visit our website: adobe.ly/digitalindex Read our blog: adobe.ly/digitalindex Follow us: @adobeindex Ask a question or make a suggestion: [email protected] ADOBE DIGITAL INDEX | Gaming Trends 2015

Given that there were 4 billion + global visits analysed, it might be that they felt raw data would overwhelm the reader. 

There's really no point in pre-ordering games anymore. Before it was done so a store can keep your copy on the side Day 1 they would sell out. Now you can walk in to a store Day 1 without a pre-order a get a copy cause they have tons. Pre-ordering is just a way store try to get you to buy the game of them. With all those different store exclusive bonuses. Want a certain skin/mission? Nope can't have cause you brought the game at Best Buy and not Walmart.

Given that pre-orders and revenues are up in spite of this, the implication seems to be that while some gamers may bitch about pre-orders on social media, we nonetheless pre-order in spite of our expressed feelings. 

Thoughts?

While this is sometimes the case, I think also that it's important to note that you said the reaction was split roughly in twice. Just half of the people playing games expressing their negative feelings on the subject is quite a lot.

I'm generally against pre-orders, but IMO, there are cases of good pre-order deals.

The people who are against many of these deals are pretty vocal about it, and IMO the people who are not in that camp don't have a very strong case, so they're not very vocal about it. I rarely meet people who are strongly against people who are against a lot of these pre-order deals, so at least from my experience I can't say there is much voice to any kind of opposition and then it's kind of a one-sided conversation where you get the impression that everyone is against. Many simply aren't that strongly against, don't care or haven't thought all that much about it.

But I'll easily grant you that there's some cognitive dissonance going on as well. :P

I only pre order games I know I'm going to get as soon as they come out anyway. The system might be shit but it's not going to change so I might as well get whatever's on offer anyway.

In the last 6 months it's only been until dawn, Fifa and assassins creed syndicate. Oh and I got mad max as a present which was pre ordered as you got the blu Ray of them film free.

While this is sometimes the case, I think also that it's important to note that you said the reaction was split roughly in twice. Just half of the people playing games expressing their negative feelings on the subject is quite a lot.

I'm generally against pre-orders, but IMO, there are cases of good pre-order deals.

The people who are against many of these deals are pretty vocal about it, and IMO the people who are not in that camp don't have a very strong case, so they're not very vocal about it. I rarely meet people who are strongly against people who are against a lot of these pre-order deals, so at least from my experience I can't say there is much voice to any kind of opposition and then it's kind of a one-sided conversation where you get the impression that everyone is against. Many simply aren't that strongly against, don't care or haven't thought all that much about it.

But I'll easily grant you that there's some cognitive dissonance going on as well. :P

You're absolutely right that the majority of gamers probably don't care. Most people don't spend their time trawling forums, etc, and having these discussions or hashing out the issues. And yeah, you're right, the silent majority probably the guys and gals that account for the most pre-orders. 

I pre-order and I'll continue do so. I only pre order for the collector editions (I was too late for Fallout though -_- ). I wouldn't pre-order a standard copy of a game though, what's the point, to pay for it early and just collect it on day one?

I've never been disappointed though, even with AC Unity. I'm not sure what people are expecting if they get so sad.

I don't like pre-orders in general. I make it a personal rule not to buy any games, via pre-order. Sure I'll miss out on some exclusives or DLC, but is paying a little extra for stuff that should be in the base game, any better? Plus there's almost always an inevitable Game of the Year edition for bigger titles that'll have plenty of DLC, like Fallout 4, Dishonored, Batman: Arkham Asylum etc. *Also fuck WB for cutting Catwoman out of the main Arkham City game.*

admiration (18%)surprise (9%), anticipation (2%)

Hang on, hang on...according to Inside Out, those aren't even real emotions  :hmm:

What a load of horseshit. The single emotion I experience for pre-orders is excitement. Or maybe super-duper-mega-awesome-hyperliciouseness...ness. But I'm pretty sure that's not a real emotion either.

Edited by ant1th3s1s

I pre-order and I'll continue do so. I only pre order for the collector editions (I was too late for Fallout though -_- ).

I've never been disappointed though, even with AC Unity. I'm not sure what people are expecting if they get so sad.

I'd say that's a good reason to pre-order. Especially when there's a risk of there not being enough stock of the thing that you want. 

I think the sadness comes from people feeling like they're being manipulated, but that might just be me. Again, it's a shame that the report did not quote some representative expressions from the social media that was analysed so we could see some reasons. 

What a load of horseshit. The single emotion I experience for pre-orders is excitement. Or maybe super-duper-mega-awesome-hyperliciouseness...ness. But I'm pretty sure that's not a real emotion either.

"Excitement" would probably fall under "anticipation". 

And Inside Out was pretty cool. ;)

*Also fuck WB for cutting Catwoman out of the main Arkham City game.*

Wasn't that a "project-$10" type of thing, where you had to buy new in order to get Catwoman, rather than a pre-order bonus? I thought the only pre-order bonuses for that Arkham City were Batman skins and a few challenge rooms?

I pre-order and I'll continue do so. I only pre order for the collector editions (I was too late for Fallout though -_- ). I wouldn't pre-order a standard copy of a game though, what's the point, to pay for it early and just collect it on day one?

I once made a thread on the thread on the topic of what would make you pre-order a game or buy it on day one etc. It's a rather interesting topic IMO. Pre-order and day one sales matters the most to a publisher. Because it is so important for publishers, they try their best to make you pre-order or buy on day one.

There are many things a publisher can do to make sure you buy a game on day one or pre-order, and many of them are pretty shady. Everything from paying media for good press and holding back bad reviews until launch to making some stuff in the game exclusive pre-order content. Recently we've seen them try to find ways to combine it with crowd funding elements too. This is the kind of things they do to make you pre-order, because, as you said, there's usually little point in getting a game at day one. The game cost more, you know little about it etc. In fact, these are pretty lazy ways to make up for cases where you usually wouldn't have pre-ordered.

I kind of like limited collector's editions etc where you get a lot of neat physical bonus content, like soundtrack, art book, a plushy, t-shirt etc. Cool extra stuff. Even better, having these things come at no extra expense for those who order them at launch. A thing I've yet to see is free season passes at no extra expense. These are after all people who buy the game at full price at release, and not used etc.

Each to their own, but I'm not someone who will pre-order a game.  The growing trend of Day 1 patches is enough for me to wait until, at the very earliest, the game is fixed and playable (lets face it, games aren't usually fixed until the 6th or 7th patch).  I get that people want to play these games as soon as they come out, but unless they are multiplayer only, there is no harm in waiting.  Hell, wait 1-2 weeks and you can pick up a 2nd hand copy from eBay for about half price.

Fallout 4 is a game I'm looking forward to playing, though if it is anything like Fallout 3, then there will be plenty of single player DLC (hopefully anyway).  Think I'll just wait for a GOTY edition.

P.S. - Who are the 1% of people feeling fear when pre-ordering?  Fear!  Really?!?