We Play Tales of Symphonia

Tales of Symphonia Completed!

That was a fun ride, can't wait for the sequel. I'll be posting the post-game discussions for us to share our thoughts about Tales of Symphonia tomorrow. 

I went and updated PoupiMyu's list of participants:

Congrats!!

And thanks for the update :D

Tetra Slash is definitely a real pain. I've been trying for I can't remember how long, I've mastered all of Krato's recipes, beaten the Coliseum and I'm on my way to lvl100 now.

I suck at this! That's why I can't plat Tales of Xillia 2, because of that stupid War God trophy that has even more insane requirements -_-

Edit : I did it! I did it! I don't know how but I did!

I guess I'll probably have my Kratos All Titles trophies tonight!

Edit 2 : MiloPro is actually on his second playthrough, so technically, he has already finished the game I think :)

Edited by PoupiMyu
  • Like 1

Tales of Symphonia - Post-Game Discussions

TalesOfSymphoniaChroniclesAnnounce610-ds

Here it is everyone, the final discussion points for the game. Answer away  :P 

1- Where you surprised to learn that Kratos was Lloyd's real father?

2- Did you see that coming?! [Zelos betraying the party and his death]

3- Thoughts on Mithos and his ambitions?

4- What did you think of the ending?

5- Did you like the overall story? If you played other Tales games, how does this one compare?

6- Did you change your favorite character? You can list your top 5 characters if you want :)

7- Did you enjoy the overall gameplay? It may feel archaic compared to late entries, but did you have any problems overall? What do you expect from the sequel gameplay-wise?

8- Did you know that anime studio Production I.G (Ghost in the Shell, Guilty Crown) were behind many animations of the game? Did you like the overall animations and art styles?

9- In terms of audio, how was the voice-work at the end, did it get less cheesy? Most important of all, how was the soundtrack? Any favorite tracks?

10- Any final thoughts?  What are you expecting from the sequel, Tales of Symphoia: Dawn of the New World?

Bonus questions regarding the We Play:

1- How were the discussion points? Did I do a good job? :P

2- Are there any feedback you would like to give regarding We Plays?

I have two questions:

1- I know that there are different endings depending on your relationships with the characters, I think I got the Colette ending. Is there a way to check?

​2- Is it true that depending on your relationship with him, Zelos may or may not die?

Sorry if these questions were too much :P

Edited by NullRay85

hmmm...  are people in here planning to plat this game or are you now going to jump in playing ToS 2?

Tales of Symphonia - Post Discussions

1- I know that there are different endings depending on your relationships with the characters, I think I got the Colette ending. Is there a way to check?

​2- Is it true that depending on your relationship with him, Zelos may or may not die?

1. eh??? The game only has one ending IIRC... relationship with characters' major effect is who will stay and leave in a certain point of the game leading on what scene you may witness in the "Flanoir scene"... and of course who will join you: Kratos or Zelos...

edit: oh wait.. you are talking about some exchange of dialogues after "the name of the tree is..." part?

2. Yes... to be exact.. he will die if you choose the "Kratos route"

Edited by JaM

hmmm...  are people in here planning to plat this game or are you now going to jump in playing ToS 2?

1. eh??? The game only has one ending IIRC... relationship with characters' major effect is who will stay and leave in a certain point of the game leading on what scene you may witness in the "Flanoir scene"... and of course who will join you: Kratos or Zelos...

edit: oh wait.. you are talking about some exchange of dialogues after "the name of the tree is..." part?

2. Yes... to be exact.. he will die if you choose the "Kratos route"

I got it now, thanks, JaM. 

Not really. They look very much alike, physically and mentally. I would have been more surprised if Zelos was Lloyd's older brother!

There are some events here and there pointing to an eventual move from Zelos but I did not expect him to betray everyone. I always really like those characters that act like they're always happy and fun to be with but who are hiding something deep down. It makes the story more interesting and more serious.

On my ffirst playthrough, I went for Colette at Flanoir, so Zelos did come back after a while to rescue everyone (in his own flamboyant way, but still).

On my second playthrough, I went for Kratos, I beat Zelos all the same but seing all the characters coming back without Zelos boasting among them made me feel like something was missing.

Typical bad guy who was once a good guy but lost his way after the death of someone he loved, famous for interpreting things in his own way and being pretty delusional about the whole situation.

I was a bit disappointed. I don't know why but I thought the ending didn't not bring the satisfaction it's supposed to provide when you finally complete a story. I would have like to see Martel a bit more (she is the center of the whole thing after all)

5- Did you like the overall story? If you played other Tales games, how does this one compare?

When I was a teenager, ToS was one of my favourite games. I was very impressed by the story, the gameplay, the characters, the battle system, everything and anything really. Now that I have a lot more experience in RPG and JRPG, I don't like it as much. The story is pretty common, the characters' background and personality could have been more developed, I officially hate the Action Button and the way the on-screen character seems to like walls so much he can't stay away from them.

However, playing ToS again made me realise all the improvements that have been made with the following games. Vesperia remains number 1 on my list, quickly followed by Xillia and Xillia 2.

6- Did you change your favorite character? You can list your top 5 characters if you want :)

1. Zelos

2. Zelos

3. Zelos

4. Zelos

5. Zelos

Did I tell you how much I like Zelos?

7- Did you enjoy the overall gameplay? It may feel archaic compared to late entries, but did you have any problems overall? What do you expect from the sequel gameplay-wise?

I already talked about it in question 5.

I hope some of the issues mentionned above have been solved in Dawn of a New World.

8- Did you know that anime studio Production I.G (Ghost in the Shell, Guilty Crown) were behind many animations of the game? Did you like the overall animations and art styles?

I really don't like how the characters appear on screen (SD but not really SD? Makes it look like Lloyd is a child, and it's even weirder with Kratos) but the animation was pretty good. Everytime the game starts, I like to watch the opening and I always think that this little movie makes a way stronger impression then the in-game story.

9- In terms of audio, how was the voice-work at the end, did it get less cheesy? Most important of all, how was the soundtrack? Any favorite tracks?

I kept switching between English and Japanese because Lloyd's japanese voice seemed weird to me, like it didn't match the character's personality or something.

Favourite track

Doesn't it make you want to smile? Sounds just like a chocobo theme!

10- Any final thoughts?  What are you expecting from the sequel, Tales of Symphoia: Dawn of the New World?

A little bit of Martel? Beloved characters making a comeback? Same world but 100 years later? I'm kinda curious!

JaM, I'm on my 3rd playthrough right now and I intend to plat the game, and I also want to play the sequel soon.

Right now, I know that MiloPro wants to plat ToS, and NullRay85 agreed to play ToS2.

NullRay85, do you plan on getting plat for ToS too?

Not really. They look very much alike, physically and mentally. I would have been more surprised if Zelos was Lloyd's older brother!

There are some events here and there pointing to an eventual move from Zelos but I did not expect him to betray everyone. I always really like those characters that act like they're always happy and fun to be with but who are hiding something deep down. It makes the story more interesting and more serious.

On my ffirst playthrough, I went for Colette at Flanoir, so Zelos did come back after a while to rescue everyone (in his own flamboyant way, but still).

On my second playthrough, I went for Kratos, I beat Zelos all the same but seing all the characters coming back without Zelos boasting among them made me feel like something was missing.

Typical bad guy who was once a good guy but lost his way after the death of someone he loved, famous for interpreting things in his own way and being pretty delusional about the whole situation.

I was a bit disappointed. I don't know why but I thought the ending didn't not bring the satisfaction it's supposed to provide when you finally complete a story. I would have like to see Martel a bit more (she is the center of the whole thing after all)

When I was a teenager, ToS was one of my favourite games. I was very impressed by the story, the gameplay, the characters, the battle system, everything and anything really. Now that I have a lot more experience in RPG and JRPG, I don't like it as much. The story is pretty common, the characters' background and personality could have been more developed, I officially hate the Action Button and the way the on-screen character seems to like walls so much he can't stay away from them.

However, playing ToS again made me realise all the improvements that have been made with the following games. Vesperia remains number 1 on my list, quickly followed by Xillia and Xillia 2.

1. Zelos

2. Zelos

3. Zelos

4. Zelos

5. Zelos

Did I tell you how much I like Zelos?

I already talked about it in question 5.

I hope some of the issues mentionned above have been solved in Dawn of a New World.

I really don't like how the characters appear on screen (SD but not really SD? Makes it look like Lloyd is a child, and it's even weirder with Kratos) but the animation was pretty good. Everytime the game starts, I like to watch the opening and I always think that this little movie makes a way stronger impression then the in-game story.

I kept switching between English and Japanese because Lloyd's japanese voice seemed weird to me, like it didn't match the character's personality or something.

Favourite track

Doesn't it make you want to smile? Sounds just like a chocobo theme!

A little bit of Martel? Beloved characters making a comeback? Same world but 100 years later? I'm kinda curious!

JaM, I'm on my 3rd playthrough right now and I intend to plat the game, and I also want to play the sequel soon.

Right now, I know that MiloPro wants to plat ToS, and NullRay85 agreed to play ToS2.

NullRay85, do you plan on getting plat for ToS too?

Whoa, you must really like Zelos, Myu.  :o

I'm currently got my hands tied with other JRPGs such as Disgaea 4, Neptunia Re;birth 1, Rogue Galaxy, and  FFVII at the moment. I may end-up trying to get the platinum in the future when hopefully, I've completed most of my gaming backlog and have a lot of time on my hands. 

So, when do we sign-up for Symphonia 2? Most of us have already finished the game, others are taking a break from it, and some even went M.I.A.  :unsure:

Edited by NullRay85

Whoa, you must really like Zelos, Myu.  :o

I'm currently got my hands tied with other JRPGs such as Disgaea 4, Neptunia Re;birth 1, Rogue Galaxy, and  FFVII at the moment. I may end-up trying to get the platinum in the future when hopefully, I've completed most of my gaming backlog and have a lot of time on my hands. 

So, when do we sign-up for Symphonia 2? Most of us have already finished the game, others are taking a break from it, and some even went M.I.A.  :unsure:

He had a great impact on my teenagehood, just like Sephiroth, but maybe not for the same reasons :)

About the We Play, I think the discussion points were very interesting and to the point. However, I think that answering a lot of questions in a single post makes people talk less freely and less frequently. Maybe, if you could introduce questions from time to time to get people's opinion and without having to wait for a checkpoint to do so, it would be better and feel more like a conversation.

That's just my opinion, I'm still very  grateful that you took the time to find good questions.

We could start the sign-up thread immediately. Do you want to create it? You seem to have more experience in We Plays than I do. But if I you haven't got the time, I would be happy to try :)

• Like 1

He had a great impact on my teenagehood, just like Sephiroth, but maybe not for the same reasons :)

About the We Play, I think the discussion points were very interesting and to the point. However, I think that answering a lot of questions in a single post makes people talk less freely and less frequently. Maybe, if you could introduce questions from time to time to get people's opinion and without having to wait for a checkpoint to do so, it would be better and feel more like a conversation.

That's just my opinion, I'm still very  grateful that you took the time to find good questions.

We could start the sign-up thread immediately. Do you want to create it? You seem to have more experience in We Plays than I do. But if I you haven't got the time, I would be happy to try :)

Thanks for the feedback, I'll try to re-invent the discussion points during our next We Play if possible. 

Me... create a We Play?!  :blink:  As much as I would love to, I don't think I have the time and commitment yet to manage one. But if you, Buu, or anyone else would like to create it, I'll be more than happy to lend a helping hand with the discussions or just to make things more lively.  :D

Yup im planning to go for the plat.

Made some good progress so far. got the 1 mil chips yesterday, finished the red light, green light and uncle mini games and got all the figurines for Genis title. Now im just grinding out the cooking titles for everyone, then once that's done ill finish off the final boss and be on my 3rd playthrough. :)

1. Zelos

2. Zelos

3. Zelos

4. Zelos

5. Zelos

I agree 100%.

I did EVERYTHING that was possible in the first playthrough. I recorded all available monsters and items (missed some custom gear from Asgard that got locked out for some reason), got the figures, maxed cooking, completed all mini-games, completed the Coliseum with everyone, 1 million chips, Treasure Hunter, Gigolo, and got to level 100. I'm just 200 GRADE short to get all the bonuses I wanted.

Then I can finally start the second playthrough. xD

• Like 2

I agree 100%.

I did EVERYTHING that was possible in the first playthrough. I recorded all available monsters and items (missed some custom gear from Asgard that got locked out for some reason), got the figures, maxed cooking, completed all mini-games, completed the Coliseum with everyone, 1 million chips, Treasure Hunter, Gigolo, and got to level 100. I'm just 200 GRADE short to get all the bonuses I wanted.

Then I can finally start the second playthrough. xD

I basically did the same thing and my second playthrough was so much faster!

I'm starting the 3rd one now. This time, I want to get Zelos in Flanoir, get all the devil arms again and clear the bonus dungeon, get all coliseum titles and with a bit of luck, get most of the character titles trophies.

I'm already in love with exp x10!

• Like 2

I'm starting the 3rd one now. This time, I want to get Zelos in Flanoir, get all the devil arms again and clear the bonus dungeon, get all coliseum titles and with a bit of luck, get most of the character titles trophies.

Good luck. :D It's so satisfying when the titles finally pop up.

For now I had to settle for 2x experience and I'll probably do the Gung Ho run next. By the fourth playthrough I hope to get enough for 10x exp lol.

Im on my 3rd playthrough now and am planning to go for all those too. I was waiting till i got the 10x exp before attempting all that stuff and yup i too am loving the 10x exp, im pretty much cruising through everything haha.

Good luck. :D It's so satisfying when the titles finally pop up.

For now I had to settle for 2x experience and I'll probably do the Gung Ho run next. By the fourth playthrough I hope to get enough for 10x exp lol.

Good luck with Gung Ho, i got that on my 2nd playthrough with half exp. Its easy as long as you keep your characters equipped with the best stuff available at the time. Since i went with half exp, i could grind enemies for glad without worrying about my level getting to high.  Though if you're able to inherit your glad from a previous playthrough, you wont really need to worry about grinding and you could just go with normal or 2x exp and just pick your enemies.

EDIT: Took a while to get down but for those interested here's my level's leading up to the Rodyle fight. Also note these levels were gained using half exp, so if you try following it with normal exp or more, you may end up more levels ahead but this won't be a problem if you kill a member of your party early on. I didn't kill anyone off in this run, so my party were all around the same level.

Light of Oracle - 3

The Temple - 4

The Angel - 4

Iselia Forest - 4

The Human Ranch - 5

The Exsphere - 5

Under The Moon - 5

The Departure - 5 

The Massacre - 6

To the Desert - 6 

The Escape - 7 

The Seal of Fire - 8

The Metamorphosis - 8

The Wings - 8

The Assassin - 9

Eastern Continent - 10

Palmacosta - 10

Clues for the Seal - 10

Bad Omen - 12

Desians Retaliation - 12

The Book - 12

To See the Book - 12

The Seal of Water - 14 

Chocolat in Danger - 14

Governers Truth - 15

The Sacrificial Altar - 16

The Seal of the Wind - 17 

Mysterious Assassin - 17

Sleepless Night - 17

The Perished Town - 18

The Encounter - 18

The Exspheres - 18

Into the Ranch - 18 

Clara and the Key - 20

A Mysterious Seal - 21

Fate of teh Chosen - 21

The Spirit of the Water - 21

Boltzmans Book - 22

Sleeping Unicorn - 22

Unicorn Horn - 22

The Spiritua Statue - 22

Locating the Seals - 22

Chocalates Grandma - 22

Dor the Leader - 22

Feeding on Life - 22

To become an Angel - 22

Promised Healing - 23

The Quest - 23

Tower of Salvation - 23

To the Fire Seal - 23

The Chosen - 23

A new Quest - 23

Telhe alla - 24

Meltokio - 24

A Young Girl - 24

The other Chosen - 24

Crossing the Bridge - 24 

Sybak - 24

Promised Necklace - 24

Half-Elves - 25

Reversing Worlds - 25 

The Rescue - 25 

Welcome Home - 26

An Attacker - 26 

Elemental Cargo - 26

Setting Sail - 26 

Kratos Warning 26

Test Subject - 26 

Gaoracchia Forest - 27 

Decisions - 27 

What was Lost - 27

Altessa & Tabatha - 28

Inhibitor Ore - 29

Crimes - 29

Colette Kidnapped - 29

Last Time - 29 

Past Failure - 29

Volt - 30

Rheairds - 31

Gnomelettes - 33

Something Spicy - 33

Sinful Chosen - 34

Light of Judgement - 34

Young Mithos - 34

Altamira 34

Unforgivable Crime - 34

Alicia's Grave - 34

Otherworldly Gate - 34

Back Again - 34

Rodyle - 35

Edited by MiloPro
  • Like 1

Im on my 3rd playthrough now and am planning to go for all those too. I was waiting till i got the 10x exp before attempting all that stuff and yup i too am loving the 10x exp, im pretty much cruising through everything haha.

Good luck with Gung Ho, i got that on my 2nd playthrough with half exp. Its easy as long as you keep your characters equipped with the best stuff available at the time. Since i went with half exp, i could grind enemies for glad without worrying about my level getting to high.  Though if you're able to inherit your glad from a previous playthrough, you wont really need to worry about grinding and you could just go with normal or 2x exp and just pick your enemies.

EDIT: Took a while to get down but for those interested here's my level's leading up to the Rodyle fight. Also note these levels were gained using half exp, so if you try following it with normal exp or more, you may end up more levels ahead but this won't be a problem if you kill a member of your party early on. I didn't kill anyone off in this run, so my party were all around the same level.

Light of Oracle - 3

The Temple - 4

The Angel - 4

Iselia Forest - 4

The Human Ranch - 5

The Exsphere - 5

Under The Moon - 5

The Departure - 5 

The Massacre - 6

To the Desert - 6 

The Escape - 7 

The Seal of Fire - 8

The Metamorphosis - 8

The Wings - 8

The Assassin - 9

Eastern Continent - 10

Palmacosta - 10

Clues for the Seal - 10

Bad Omen - 12

Desians Retaliation - 12

The Book - 12

To See the Book - 12

The Seal of Water - 14 

Chocolat in Danger - 14

Governers Truth - 15

The Sacrificial Altar - 16

The Seal of the Wind - 17 

Mysterious Assassin - 17

Sleepless Night - 17

The Perished Town - 18

The Encounter - 18

The Exspheres - 18

Into the Ranch - 18 

Clara and the Key - 20

A Mysterious Seal - 21

Fate of teh Chosen - 21

The Spirit of the Water - 21

Boltzmans Book - 22

Sleeping Unicorn - 22

Unicorn Horn - 22

The Spiritua Statue - 22

Locating the Seals - 22

Chocalates Grandma - 22

Dor the Leader - 22

Feeding on Life - 22

To become an Angel - 22

Promised Healing - 23

The Quest - 23

Tower of Salvation - 23

To the Fire Seal - 23

The Chosen - 23

A new Quest - 23

Telhe alla - 24

Meltokio - 24

A Young Girl - 24

The other Chosen - 24

Crossing the Bridge - 24 

Sybak - 24

Promised Necklace - 24

Half-Elves - 25

Reversing Worlds - 25 

The Rescue - 25 

Welcome Home - 26

An Attacker - 26 

Elemental Cargo - 26

Setting Sail - 26 

Kratos Warning 26

Test Subject - 26 

Gaoracchia Forest - 27 

Decisions - 27 

What was Lost - 27

Altessa & Tabatha - 28

Inhibitor Ore - 29

Crimes - 29

Colette Kidnapped - 29

Last Time - 29 

Past Failure - 29

Volt - 30

Rheairds - 31

Gnomelettes - 33

Something Spicy - 33

Sinful Chosen - 34

Light of Judgement - 34

Young Mithos - 34

Altamira 34

Unforgivable Crime - 34

Alicia's Grave - 34

Otherworldly Gate - 34

Back Again - 34

Rodyle - 35

This is going to be really useful for my last playthrough, thanks!

I have one question though : how many characters were in your group? I don't think Kratos is part of the team at this point.

I don't know if I'm going to use 1/2 exp yet but I'm pretty sure I'm going to kill Genis as soon as I can to prevent him from gaining too much exp (maybe Colette too!)

NullRay85, I've already played Xillia, Xillia 2 (although I don't have the plat for this one, I'm missing one last trophy), Graces, Hearts and Vesperia.

Innocence and Rebirth have never left Japan, Abyss is on 3DS (I don't mind though), Legendia and all the older ones are either on PS2 or PSP.

I haven't played Zestiria though but I would be happy to.

Good luck with the platinum, everyone. I'll be rooting for you  :)

By the way, we're still going to continue the rest of the Tales franchise after the Symphonia games, right?

I've only plat Graces f so i wouldn't mind playing Hearts R or the 2 Xillia's if there's ever a we play for those in the future.

This is going to be really useful for my last playthrough, thanks!

I have one question though : how many characters were in your group? I don't think Kratos is part of the team at this point.

I don't know if I'm going to use 1/2 exp yet but I'm pretty sure I'm going to kill Genis as soon as I can to prevent him from gaining too much exp (maybe Colette too!)

NullRay85, I've already played Xillia, Xillia 2 (although I don't have the plat for this one, I'm missing one last trophy), Graces, Hearts and Vesperia.

Innocence and Rebirth have never left Japan, Abyss is on 3DS (I don't mind though), Legendia and all the older ones are either on PS2 or PSP.

I haven't played Zestiria though but I would be happy to.

I had a full party of 4 when i fought Rodyle, all around 33-34. 

Alright well I've made my return, if we do dawn of the new world a few changes will be made.

1. Checkpoints will be set up when we start the game. This is for two reasons:

a) People wont have to wait or be distracted and can pace themselves naturally

B) If people will be busy they could play ahead so they can make that time (we are relying on people not messing up discussions by doing this, so if you find out something you shouldn't know before a checkpoint we're discussing don't bring it up).

2. We'll assign someone to lead discussion and I think its fairer if we switch people this will make it more community driven and give us different viewpoints. If you want to take a shot at the next set of discussion points PM me.

Actually I think thats it, Im finishing this up as we speak so let me know what you think and if you do want to continue the series each game will be done within this fashion and you guys can decide what time each games single playthrough requires. (BTW I'm not going for plats I just don't have the time to).

completelyl your decision if you don't want to do we plays for this game because they are simply too long I completely understand and i'll start working on some other stuff. As long as at least 3 of you want to do it, Ill start working on writing up a topic. Any thanks for your patience and perseverance to finish this. If it wasnt for you guys this would've fallen to pieces so seriously thank you to all of you.

Alright well I've made my return, if we do dawn of the new world a few changes will be made.

1. Checkpoints will be set up when we start the game. This is for two reasons:

a) People wont have to wait or be distracted and can pace themselves naturally

B) If people will be busy they could play ahead so they can make that time (we are relying on people not messing up discussions by doing this, so if you find out something you shouldn't know before a checkpoint we're discussing don't bring it up).

2. We'll assign someone to lead discussion and I think its fairer if we switch people this will make it more community driven and give us different viewpoints. If you want to take a shot at the next set of discussion points PM me.

Actually I think thats it, Im finishing this up as we speak so let me know what you think and if you do want to continue the series each game will be done within this fashion and you guys can decide what time each games single playthrough requires. (BTW I'm not going for plats I just don't have the time to).

completelyl your decision if you don't want to do we plays for this game because they are simply too long I completely understand and i'll start working on some other stuff. As long as at least 3 of you want to do it, Ill start working on writing up a topic. Any thanks for your patience and perseverance to finish this. If it wasnt for you guys this would've fallen to pieces so seriously thank you to all of you.

We've already started Dawn of the New World here.

No particular rules this time, play at your own pace, enjoy the game, come and chat with the other players. That's it.

• Like 2

I put the Tales of Symphonia Chronicles down for my PRD list so I plan on starting these in the future - maybe in Easter because I am going to focus on the five games for the Spring Backlog Event. ;)

Good luck, these two plats are a massive timesink, since you have to do 4 playthroughs for ToS and 3 for DotNW and both of them have a crapton of missable events (ToS moreso). You should have 400 hours at hand. :P