We Play Tales of Symphonia

A question: what is the affection system in the game?

I read that the game has multiple endings depending on who you have a high affection with.

Ya know I was going to answer this in-depth, but then remembered how exhausted I am from setting up Christmas song vote all day. Omar will explain the more in-depth because I'm too lazy :P lol :)

In short ever character with loyd starts off with a certain amount of affection points, and yes you guessed it Collette starts with the most. But these can be raised/lowered(wait can they be lowered? I forgot) through specific actions starting from literally a few minutes into the game. Hopefully Omar or someone else posts a list to a list of all the events.

The first playthrough should be Collette anyway so don't worry :) you're pretty much guaranteed to have hers the highest if you're not trying to get others. 2nd and 3rd highest matter too, but you can shape those into what you need in the next 3 playthroughs :)

Edited by Dav9834
  • Like 2

A question: what is the affection system in the game?

I read that the game has multiple endings depending on who you have a high affection with.

Okay, I'll try to cover everything about it here.

Affection is a secret value in ToS. Everyone has a certain amount of affection towards Lloyd and, while everyone starts at a neutral 0, Colette gets a head start and is leading from the point the game starts. That and the many chances to raise her affection guarantee that everyone's first playthrough will be a "Colette playthrough". Now, what determines what kind of playthrough you have? 

Affection shows itself at several points in the game, showing characters with high affection at certain cutscenes over characters with low or negative affection. Most of those events aren't really that relevant, and only 2 of them (afaik) are pivotal for the platinum trophy:

Swimsuit Event: Once you reach this event, you get Lloyd's swimsuit costume title automatically, and you get to choose ONE person to get their title too. You get 2 more swimsuit titles, and what decides which 2 you get is affection. So, in order to get everyone's swimsuit title, you need to pay attention to how affection goes in subsequent playthroughs.

The Flanoir Event: This is a point in the story in which the affection system becomes CRUCIAL. Every player aiming at platinum needs to plan how affection is leading up to this point very thoroughly through each playthrough. This event is also the reason why we need 4 playthroughs. Basically, your top 3 characters in terms of affection will knock on your door and you get to choose to go out with one of them. You need items and titles from 3 of them and only titles from 2 of them. That would make for 5 runs, but using the reload save function we can save one playthrough. The way things are, this is what I did:

Playthrough 1 - The Colette Playthrough: Picked Colette and got her item but missed the title she gets later after choosing her (FAIL)

Playthrough 2 - The Kratos Playthrough: Kept Kratos and Colette high on affection, picked Colette and played until getting the title I missed on Run #1 (If you get her title on Playthrough 1 you don't need to pick her on Playthrough 2, saving quite some trouble. Also, for this to work, the title needs to be the last one you need from Colette, that way the trophy will pop and you can reload and miss the title because you already have the trophy), reloaded and picked Kratos, got his item and titles for him and Lloyd. Kept Presea within my Top 3 to get her swimsuit.

Playthrough 3 - The Zelos Playthrough: Kept Zelos and Regal high up, picked Regal and got his title (needs to be the last Regal title left to get his trophy and reload safely), reloaded and picked Zelos to get his item and titles for him and Sheena.

Playthrough 4 - The Genis Playthrough: This one is needed exclusively for Genis (if you do all you can do during previous runs), so only aimed at having Genis high up, picked him and got titles for him and Presea, earning Platinum. (you can do Genis and Regal in this run if you couldn't get Regal on Run 3 but for comfort's sake, try to get this run to be as simple as possible)

My best piece of advice is: once you finish your first run entirely, take notes of titles, items and monsters you are missing, and plan when and during which run you'll get them. Then cross them out as you get them. Also, write down you affection values AT ALL TIMES!! Update your numbers with every single variation so that you can know how your affection levels are doing and adjust them accordingly (if someone goes too high, you can do stuff to lower them or skip stuff to avoid rising them any further). Once you keep track of everything, affection isn't hard to modulate at your heart's contempt, so don't feel overwhelmed, it can be done! 

This affection guide is PHENOMENAL and I used it for platinum, so you should all take a look before jumping into your second run!! 

If you need any help please feel free to ask xD

Edited by Omar
  • Like 2

Okay, I'll try to cover everything about it here.

Affection is a secret value in ToS. Everyone has a certain amount of affection towards Lloyd and, while everyone starts at a neutral 0, Colette gets a head start and is leading from the point the game starts. That and the many chances to raise her affection guarantee that everyone's first playthrough will be a "Colette playthrough". Now, what determines what kind of playthrough you have? 

Affection shows itself at several points in the game, showing characters with high affection at certain cutscenes over characters with low or negative affection. Most of those events aren't really that relevant, and only 2 of them (afaik) are pivotal for the platinum trophy:

Swimsuit Event: Once you reach this event, you get Lloyd's swimsuit costume title automatically, and you get to choose ONE person to get their title too. You get 2 more swimsuit titles, and what decides which 2 you get is affection. So, in order to get everyone's swimsuit title, you need to pay attention to how affection goes in subsequent playthroughs.

The Flanoir Event: This is a point in the story in which the affection system becomes CRUCIAL. Every player aiming at platinum needs to plan how affection is leading up to this point very thoroughly through each playthrough. This event is also the reason why we need 4 playthroughs. Basically, your top 3 characters in terms of affection will knock on your door and you get to choose to go out with one of them. You need items and titles from 3 of them and only titles from 2 of them. That would make for 5 runs, but using the reload save function we can save one playthrough. The way things are, this is what I did:

Playthrough 1 - The Colette Playthrough: Picked Colette and got her item but missed the title she gets later after choosing her (FAIL)

Playthrough 2 - The Kratos Playthrough: Kept Kratos and Colette high on affection, picked Colette and played until getting the title I missed on Run #1 (If you get her title on Playthrough 1 you don't need to pick her on Playthrough 2, saving quite some trouble. Also, for this to work, the title needs to be the last one you need from Colette, that way the trophy will pop and you can reload and miss the title because you already have the trophy), reloaded and picked Kratos, got his item and titles for him and Lloyd. Kept Presea within my Top 3 to get her swimsuit.

Playthrough 3 - The Zelos Playthrough: Kept Zelos and Regal high up, picked Regal and got his title (needs to be the last Regal title left to get his trophy and reload safely), reloaded and picked Zelos to get his item and titles for him and Sheena.

Playthrough 4 - The Genis Playthrough: This one is needed exclusively for Genis (if you do all you can do during previous runs), so only aimed at having Genis high up, picked him and got titles for him and Presea, earning Platinum. (you can do Genis and Regal in this run if you couldn't get Regal on Run 3 but for comfort's sake, try to get this run to be as simple as possible)

My best piece of advice is: once you finish your first run entirely, take notes of titles, items and monsters you are missing, and plan when and during which run you'll get them. Then cross them out as you get them. Also, write down you affection values AT ALL TIMES!! Update your numbers with every single variation so that you can know how your affection levels are doing and adjust them accordingly (if someone goes too high, you can do stuff to lower them or skip stuff to avoid rising them any further). Once you keep track of everything, affection isn't hard to modulate at your heart's contempt, so don't feel overwhelmed, it can be done! 

This affection guide is PHENOMENAL and I used it for platinum, so you should all take a look before jumping into your second run!! 

If you need any help please feel free to ask xD

Thanks for the very in-depth insight, Omar. :D

Yet another question  :P : I bought the Mizuho Potion and gave it to the gnome at the mines. So what happens next? Does he give me something useful later on? 

Also, Checkpoint 5 Completed, will post discussion #3 when a good number of us have reached the current checkpoint.

Edited by NullRay85
  • Like 2

Thanks for the very in-depth insight, Omar. :D

Yet another question  :P : I bought the Mizuho Potion and gave it to the gnome at the mines. So what happens next? Does he give me something useful later on? 

You're welcome sir xD

By giving the Mizuho Potion to the gnome you saved yourself from the trouble of having to go back to the mines specifically for that purpose, as it becomes compulsory for story progression further into the game :D

• Like 2

You're welcome sir xD

By giving the Mizuho Potion to the gnome you saved yourself from the trouble of having to go back to the mines specifically for that purpose, as it becomes compulsory for story progression further into the game :D

Ah, so it was needed story-wise. Well that's great, I really didn't understand that gnome ("eating" potions, really?).

Once again, thank you, Omar. :)

• Like 3

I am going to use this thread to try for the Platinum as a long-term project over 2016(that and New Dawn - but then again, who doesn't have TSC?) alongside Rogue Galaxy, using the checkpoints to help me figure out where to start and where to take a break. Good luck for everyone on this project! If you do a "We Play Tales of Symphonia, Tales of the New Dawn" I might join it.

I reached checkpoint 5 yesterday and completely forgot to post here, whoops :facepalm:

I was going to ask about the potion but thankfully that's been answered above :P you guys also have me regretting that I haven't been keeping track of anything, I have no clue how this playthrough will turn out xD

I am going to use this thread to try for the Platinum as a long-term project over 2016(that and New Dawn - but then again, who doesn't have TSC?) alongside Rogue Galaxy, using the checkpoints to help me figure out where to start and where to take a break. Good luck for everyone on this project! If you do a "We Play Tales of Symphonia, Tales of the New Dawn" I might join it.

quickly editing to add this - as far as I'm aware we're playing DOTNW after we complete the first game! I would ask Buu about joining in at that point since I think there are a couple of other people doing the same thing.

Edited by kittyxiii
  • Like 1

I reached checkpoint 5 yesterday and completely forgot to post here, whoops :facepalm:

I was going to ask about the potion but thankfully that's been answered above :P you guys also have me regretting that I haven't been keeping track of anything, I have no clue how this playthrough will turn out xD

quickly editing to add this - as far as I'm aware we're playing DOTNW after we complete the first game! I would ask Buu about joining in at that point since I think there are a couple of other people doing the same thing.

Like me and Omar(damn good job going in depth btw! :D ) said the first playthrough isn't so crucial. I never checked values until the second playthrough myself. You can also talk to the gypsy in triet to get what your affection for people is (non numerical) with words like "your a perfect match!" which means that person is #1 if you're currently curious. The affection guide covers all that, it's the guide I used as well. So don't worry :)
  • Like 1

Like me and Omar(damn good job going in depth btw! :D ) said the first playthrough isn't so crucial. I never checked values until the second playthrough myself. You can also talk to the gypsy in triet to get what your affection for people is (non numerical) with words like "your a perfect match!" which means that person is #1 if you're currently curious. The affection guide covers all that, it's the guide I used as well. So don't worry :)

I used to visit the gypsy when I could when I wasn't in Tethe'alla and I think most of my characters were mostly at the 'perfect match' stage, they're probably all completely different now though xD I'll be sure to check out the affection guide when we start playing checkpoint 6 to see how I'm fairing, thanks for the response! ^_^

To Super-Buu: When should I join the We Play of Dawn? I know that it won't be until way past New Years because you're going about the checkpoints slowly, but it would be good to know so I can plan accordingly. B)

I'd say mid jan, next checkpoint should go up tonight or tomorrow. This really depends if people end up playing more or less over hte holidays with time off but at the same time people get busy at christmas.

• Like 1

Tales of Symphonia Discussion #3

I was going to post the discussions after a good number of us reached checkpoint 5, but since we're already at checkpoint 6, I've decided to post them now so we won't end-up forgetting some story-related questions later.

1- What did you think of Kvar? Did you enjoy seeing Kratos and Lloyd finish him off?

2- Were you surprised to learn that Colette can't talk anymore?

3- What did you think of the plot-twist regarding Kratos and Remiel?

4- What do you think of Tethe'alla? How does it compare to Sylverant?

5- Thoughts on the discrimination of half-elves there? Did you enjoy seeing Lloyd stand-up for Genis and Raine?

6- Thoughts on Zelos and Presea?

7- About Regal, first impressions of him and did you trust him? Who do you think he killed?

8- What are your thoughts regarding the story at this point?

9- Since we gained three new party members, did your party change or are they still the same? What is your current level?

10- Toughest boss fight so far and why?

I'm going to reach checkpoint 6 soon, I hope that the rest of us can catch-up.

Edited by NullRay85

Since it's my first time answering questions on this thread, I'm going to explain my history with ToS : 

I first played ToS when I was about 14 or 15 years old. I had an English copy of the game and since my first language is French, I think I didn't understand most of what was happening in the story. So I'm kinda rediscovering a game I have already played a lot during my childhood.

For example, I didn't remember anything about Kratos being an angel, or I think I didn't even understand there were two different worlds, I didn't understand there was "someone" in the bed in Presea's house, etc.

So it's kind of a strange feeling to play it again now that I am rather fluent in English.

1- What did you think of Kvar? Did you enjoy seeing Kratos and Lloyd finish him off?

Kvar is your typical villain who delivers a long speech and gets his butt kicked two seconds later. Nothing much here.

I already knew the whole plot but this time, I realized that Colette is actually tracing hiragana on Lloyd's palm. When I was younger, I was often wondering how she could write so fast. -_-

I had completely forgotten about Kratos (I used to focus all my attention on Zelos :D) so I was pretty surprised. But I like his new costume better.

Remiel and Colette both left a lot of clues before the actual plot-twist, I think the only one stupid enough to not have guessed what was happening was Lloyd.

I think it's your typical dual worlds with one being all about advanced technology and the other one stuck in a rural stage. It reminds me of Tales of Xillia for some reasons.

5- Thoughts on the discrimination of half-elves there? Did you enjoy seeing Lloyd stand-up for Genis and Raine?

Easy solution to give people a sense of solidarity : discriminate against another group. Classic. I feel kinda bad for the half-elves being forced to work in the laboratory without the possibility to get out from time to time.

Lloyd is the type to stand up for absolutely anyone, it was not much of a surprise here. I'm getting very bored by Lloyd by the way.

Also, one day, I would like to see Raine and Genis' ears.

Zelos? Love him, always had, always will. I like the "playboy with a hidden scar" type (Raven from Vesperia, Alvin from Xillia...). If they have long hair, it's even better. Also, free items! Free items everywhere!

Presea, well, it's a good thing she doesn't understand most of what's happening to her or around her (or does she?). And I like how Regal seems to care about her.

7- About Regal, first impressions of him and did you trust him? Who do you think he killed?

I like Regal very much (despite the fact that he hasn't realised that his T-shirt has shrunk over time, also, probably a sign that he has been imprisoned for a good amount of time). It's always a good thing where there is a variety of characters. I tend to get bored when the whole group is nothing but children. There are a lot of "fighter type" characters in ToS, which is very nice.

There are some events I do remember but at this point of the story, I don't know when or why they happen, so I'm rather curious.

Zelos is still my favourite character, even after a 10-year break. His music theme is forever engraved in my mind.

9- Since we gained three new party members, did your party change or are they still the same? What is your current level?

I think I'm currently lvl 33 with Lloyd, Zelos, Regal and Sheena in my main party.

Remiel...

Not because he is that hard but because I had to challenge him several times. First I forgot to save before the boss and I got defeated and had to start again from the unicorn event, then I forgot about getting the right affection points in Hima, and finally Remiel defeated me twice before I changed my strategy.

On another topic, I recently discovered you can choose between English and Japanese voices. And although I have instantly recognized Konishi Katsuyuki as Lloyd and Onosaka Masaya as Zelos (two of my favourite seiyuu), I find myself so used to the English voices that the original ones sound very strange to me and I don't think they fit the characters properly.

• Like 2

SuperBuu, you haven't updated your first post with the new checkpoints. Just pointing it out.

I might try to put up a We Play sign-up for Kingdom Hearts Final Mix so I can get a Kingdom Hearts game on my account. Any advice?

EDIT: I might sign up for the Tales of Symphonia: Dawn of the New World We Play even though I haven't played much of the original. I'd have to get some heavy walkthrough support though, I have never played Dawn of the New World. This event would help me pick up three platinums - I plan on running some other games alongside it to get more trophies and push me to get a platinum in some very hard and time-consuming games. Make it a New Year project. :D

Edited by DetectiveCJ

I managed to reach checkpoint 5, and I will start to work on checkpoint 6 tomorrow.

He was a typical antagonist that decided to give a long monologue and eventually got what was coming to him.

Not really. Out of her humanity that she lost leading up to that point, her voice was the next logical thing for her to lose.

I felt that it actually increased my interest in the game. Up to that point, everything was very bland and almost formulaic for a JRPG. The twist actually made me excited to play more of the game.

It seems like a more technologically advanced Sylverant.

I found this to be interesting in how different the standing that half-elves have in the societies of Sylverant and Tethe'alla. The discrimination also led to the slight plot-twist regarding Genis and Raine. I was glad to see that Lloyd was willing to stand up for his friends even though he knew that it was going to almost result in him experiencing similar discrimination from the citizens of Telle'alla

At first I absolutely despised Zelos. i thought that he was noting but a worthless idiot. After actually using him in battle, I realized that since he is able to heal the party alongside Raine, he isn't as worthless as I initially thought. Presea seems like and interesting character. She actually seemed to be a good choice of character to use in battle, and has an extremely interesting backstory. It also seems that because of her participation in the research to try to grow Cruxis Crystals, her treatment by the citizens in her village is similar to how the half-elves are treated in all of Tethe'alla.

First impression were that he should be trusted with care. He does seem to be quite knowledgeable about the world and may prove to be a useful asset to the group in there travels. As for who I think he may have killed, my guess is that he killed someone that is somehow related to Presea, possibly her "little" sister.

It started out bland and actually quite boring at first. I felt like a standard JRPG story that everyone has played at some point. However, with the twist that occurred at the Tower of Salvation, and the travel to Tethe'alla that followed, it seems that the story has gotten more interesting to me.

Yes the party changed after arrival in Tethe'alla, but this was due to the fact that Kratos was no longer present. I have been using Lloyd, Rain, and Sheena with the forth spot being either Zelos of Presea. Currently my party is around level 35 or 36.

For me the toughest boss so far would have to be Killia from Palmacosta. She was the only boss, outside of the forced loss battles in the Tower of Salvation, that I actually died to. Other than her, all the rest of the bosses have seemed like more of a walk in the park than a challenge.

• Like 2

Ok so a little late sorry! Was working on getting SV up and running + everything else during Christmas lol

Straight from my guide(with some edited/added/removed for the we play) after tethe'alla base.

Mizuho

Talk to the merchant, then do his errand.

Secret Notebook

Sybak

Talk to the merchant, then do his errand.

Pink Pearl Ring

World Map(before temple of earth)

Walk around on the world map until a skit plays that gives Regal a title, be patient it could take some time.(Can only be played if you played the previous one I mentioned for checkpoint 5)

Make sure you have the ingredients to make curry before entering The Temple of Earth

Outside Flanoir

Panguin Quills

Give Collete Ex Gem Lv1, Lv2, Lv3, and Lv4 (Lv4 Can be found in a chest on one of the islands northwestern most of the map)

Make it Sharp-eyed, Magical, Lucky, and Stat Boost.

Make Collette Manual by bringing her to the top of the list.

Now everytime you use Item Thief you'll have a 100% success rate of steal(as long as it's not blocked etc.). Much faster than fighting for a drop.

Fight Panguins and steal until you get 3 Panuinist Quills.

Ozette

If you haven't already found the wonder chef this is the time

Palmacosta(before going to ranch)

Play the game with the knight in the bottom corner of the square, beat it under 60 seconds. Hint: Have Lloyds EX Personal on to run faster. Title: Lloyd - Palmacosta Pro

Also have Zelos talk to the 23 Females

Before Ranch

Thoda dock 1 female

Thoda geyser 3 females

Balacruf Mausoleum 1 female

Shadow Temple

Hint: The followers seem to react to the ring,

and dark bottles, both making it easier to acccomplish what you need to do.

As far as from what I hear about toughest boss fight from everyone. Spoiler!

Kratos is actually able to be "defeated". Though without ng+ it's very difficult

Edited by Dav9834

Alright, Checkpoint 6 has been reached!

Well, I didn't have the nicest of opinion of him xD defeating him was incredibly satisfying, especially since Lloyd managed to get the last hit. It was nice to see that there was more to Lloyd's story aside from mother passed away and adopted by an dwarf and that it's actually going into the how's and why's of his situation.

I knew that something was going to happen to her but I thought it would be her ability to walk since she has wings rather than her voice.

I AM SO SAD. I knew that something was up with Remiel and that Kratos was hiding stuff but goddamn Kratos why you gotta do this -_- I'm pretty sure that he's not 100% with Cruxis' plan and his relationship with Lloyd is still one of my favourite things but I need to wallow in my sadness some more :(

I actually like the layout more, but I'm not sure why. I feel like both worlds have 2 different problems which need to be fixed ASAP (Human ranches and non-human discrimination respectively) and the Pope in Tethe'alla needs to get his act together but it's nice to traverse a different terrain

It's ridiculous, and thank god that Lloyd and the rest of the party thought it was ridiculous too. I'm glad that it's being touched upon and that newer members of the party feel comfortable to be around them.

I was worried about who would be Kratos' "replacement" (for lack of a better term) and it turns out that there was no need to be worried xD Zelos has grown on me very quickly, while he's a bit creepy in his attitude towards woman he's pretty funny and his secretly being great at maths is awesome. As for Presea, her story is quite sad but I'm glad to see that she's no longer under that trance - I honestly haven't been paying much attention to her unless Genis goes all heart-eyes about her but she's pretty strong and a good asset to the team.

I was pretty unsure about him at first but he seems sincere. Pre-checkpoint 6 I thought it was just some random guy he killed but now I know what happened his reason for keeping the shackles on have a lot more weight to it.

Honestly? Compared to the other Tales of games I've played this feels quite weak. It might be that I can't get into it unless I've been playing it for a few hours but it feels like it's missing something. Although, I like the issues that have been brought to life and how everyone tackles the issues at hand. I might not start to enjoy it completely until I reach the end of the game so I'm holding out hope :P

I just ended checkpoint 6 with my party at level 53/54 (yikes!), and the only current member I have is Lloyd - I switch out most of the other members, but I primarily use Zelos, Regal, occasionally Presea and Raine aaaand I think that's it xD

Yggdrasill and Kratos, because I had a 0% chance to beat them xD

• Like 1

I almost caught up with everyone else. I reached the Temple of Earth.

Sorry for the big delay. I didn't have access to my PS3 for a while (which is why I only played on my Vita). I will reach Checkpoint #6 next week I think.

Edit: Okay, I reached Checkpoint #6 :D

Edited by Kurorac

In my opinion it wasn't that long. I was at Checkpoint 4 when I tried to catch up with everyone else and it took me around 8 hours to reach Checkpoint 6.

I had my problems getting into the game but after the 8 hours I really liked this game and was sad to stop at the Temple of Darkness.

I really hoped for this checkpoint to be the last because I really want to finish the first playthrough to see how it ends.