Fallout 4 General Discussion

Parker

Weapons dont degrade because they want you to experiment with the mod system. Every time you install a mod, the gun becomes a different weapon and holds a separate place in your inventory. For example, I have a high powered 10MM pistol with improved iron sights and rapid fire. However, I also have a legendary 10 MM that is automatic with a suppressor an automatic amount of crit points. If one of these were to degrade, I would have to repair it with what could be a very different weapon entirely.

Is this the same as the power armor then? Because I did mod the degraded left arm, but never tried the suit again as I got busy building settlements. I guess I can try it out, and I'll let everyone know.

Weapons dont degrade because they want you to experiment with the mod system. Every time you install a mod, the gun becomes a different weapon and holds a separate place in your inventory. For example, I have a high powered 10MM pistol with improved iron sights and rapid fire. However, I also have a legendary 10 MM that is automatic with a suppressor an automatic amount of crit points. If one of these were to degrade, I would have to repair it with what could be a very different weapon entirely.

I still don't see why mods should cancel out weapon repairing. I mean New Vegas had weapon modding and it works perfectly fine in that game. Either you repair it with another weapon of the same name, or you take it to a vendor and pay caps for them to repair it.

• Like 1

I do have one question. I figured out how to put on and take off the power armor. But at the power armor station (at the gas station), does anyone know how to do repairs, and/or charge the fusion core to return max power tot he power armor? When I walk up to it, I simply get Craft and Transfer options, and Craft is greyed out.

Not sure why Craft is greyed out. Are you sure the power armour is properly in the station?

As for replacing the fusion core, you can just hit Square to open the Transfer option when aiming at the armour (not the Power Armor Station) and swap out fusion cores through that.

I feel I need to take my Power Armor on a trip. Finally fully decked it out in Military Paint, but haven't used it since I first brought it to Sanctuary. Maybe once I've made a Power Armor Station at the Drive-In, I'll move it there at least.

Had my first random encounter with a Deathclaw last night. Did not go so well. Managed to keep avoiding its attacks for the most part and got it down to half health, but as soon as I tried to switch to my Minigun, it picked me up and gutted me.

• Like 1

Not sure why Craft is greyed out. Are you sure the power armour is properly in the station?

As for replacing the fusion core, you can just hit Square to open the Transfer option when aiming at the armour (not the Power Armor Station) and swap out fusion cores through that.

I feel I need to take my Power Armor on a trip. Finally fully decked it out in Military Paint, but haven't used it since I first brought it to Sanctuary. Maybe once I've made a Power Armor Station at the Drive-In, I'll move it there at least.

Had my first random encounter with a Deathclaw last night. Did not go so well. Managed to keep avoiding its attacks for the most part and got it down to half health, but as soon as I tried to switch to my Minigun, it picked me up and gutted me.

What would properly in the station be? I tried facing it, not facing it, right up next to it, a few feet away from it. Nothing all around.

How is the "build your own town" thingie in the game? Can you acces it from the start? Is it really basic or options a plenty?

Haven't played it yet but it seems like the building is amazing, you can build from the get go and it seems to be very deep. You should check this video out as its the building and its Robbaz. And well, he's awesome (imo)

Edit: the link is from my phone so I don't know how it will work on an computer :S

https://youtu.be/-LvubPRR1D8

Edited by MarsipanRumpan
  • Like 1

Haven't played it yet but it seems like the building is amazing, you can build from the get go and it seems to be very deep. You should check this video out as its the building and its Robbaz. And well, he's awesome (imo)

Edit: the link is from my phone so I don't know how it will work on an computer :S

Thank you for the link! The building part of the game looks awesome, think this will "sell" the game for me ;)  

• Like 1

What would properly in the station be? I tried facing it, not facing it, right up next to it, a few feet away from it. Nothing all around.

When you were facing it, was the station selected (as in, the menu for it was visible) when you exited the armor? I'm just trying to avoid saying it might be a bug lol

This is at the Red Rocket garage near Sanctuary, right? The only other thing I can suggest atm is taking it to Sanctuary and seeing if it works there at least.

Actually, I just tried it with a new suit, and Craft was greyed out when I approached the station in the armor, but that's fine. I still got out of the armor while the station was selected and it let me modify it.

When you said Craft was greyed out, was that in the armor or out of it?

I will probably spend more than my fair share of time building settlements, but so far the building interface is a little clunky. Having to find someone and then move to where you want to assign them is a pain, especially for hoarders like myself where I am encumbered at the moment.

So far I am greatly pleased with the game. Much more than I did the last game that had this much hype that I can recall (Batman: Arkham Knight I'm pointing at you), so I'm hopeful it will continue that course.

I also like the new limitless leveling system so you don't have to sweet missing a particular perk with your preferred build. I'm not sure I like no longer having actual skills to put points into though.

When you were facing it, was the station selected (as in, the menu for it was visible) when you exited the armor? I'm just trying to avoid saying it might be a bug lol

This is at the Red Rocket garage near Sanctuary, right? The only other thing I can suggest atm is taking it to Sanctuary and seeing if it works there at least.

It was at Sanctuary.

Actually, I just tried it with a new suit, and Craft was greyed out when I approached the station in the armor, but that's fine. I still got out of the armor while the station was selected and it let me modify it.

When you said Craft was greyed out, was that in the armor or out of it?

In and out of it. But I don't think I was close enough to the power armor station. I finally was able to craft last night, as well as repair the broken T45 left arm.

As a further update, I went exploring, and got surprised by feral ghouls. I am glad there are no difficulty trophies because at the Coverga Assembly plant, I had some trouble with Raiders, forcing me to drop the difficulty one notch. I rebuilt Sanctuary and TenPines Bluff, and I have come across two RobCo sentries that I programmed to be law enforcement, thus creating havoc in the general area of Lexington for Raiders and other evil creatures, all the while earning XP for me as I walk around doing nothing. Right now, I am suited up in a fully recharged power armor, and I am heading to Diamond City. Not only am I sure there is more to do there, but I need to find a merchant, because I need RadAway in a bad way. The food I have been eating to replenish my health has been adding Rads at a rapid rate (Cram, Bubblegum, etc). I do have Rad-X, but that only resists Rads, and I'd rather not use it until a time that will be more appropriate.

Oh, and I also have the Cryolator. I had Dogmeat fetch it for me while in the Vault. Yes, it is a badass gun.

Edited by ShogunCroCop

I'm guessing you can find parts of power armour in a few places? I found a second suit but it was missing pieces like the helmet, so I could find the helmet anywhere? I also got a new paint job for it nearby the suit, it's a nice dark red.

I have found 3 full power armors already. The parts are removable, leaving just the skeleton of the suit, so even if it's a full power armor, you can strip it for parts. I collect the parts in case something goes wrong I have spares. I keep the spares in a desk in Sanctuary.

The only spare Power Armor parts I've had so far were from raiders in power armor. I really wanna level up more so I can get the higher Armorer and Science perk levels to really mod the Power Armor.

Same here. I also painted mine dark red.

Good thing I was suited up in the Power Armor. When I approached Diamond City, I heard shooting. Super Mutants were shooting at a trade caravan. I saved the caravan. Had I not been wearing my Power Armor, I am certain the Super Mutants would have gutted me.

I made it to Diamond City, and Piper is a follower now. So I am being careful to make my relationship with her better, so I can romance her and get the trophy for reaching max relationship with a companion. After doing some menial tasks in Diamond City to slightly increase her relationship with me, we have set forth on our first official mission, which is to liberate another settlement that Preston asked me to do. I do not have the Power Armor at my disposal. I went back to Sanctuary, and left it there, so I am hoping I do not run into super mutants. All in all, the game keeps getting better and better. It was awesome to see Fenway Park being utilized for the betterment of society in the post-Apocalyptic world of Fallout 4. :)

Vault 111. It's in a Master lock cabinet.

Well, after a Deathclaw spawned near my Starlight Drive-In settlement, I decided to build a wall all the way around. Ran out of wood and the wall's only half done...but the settlement is shaping up nicely. I've started building stores and modding stations, housing my third power armor suit (finally got a few T-60 parts).

The Deathclaw wasn't all that hard this time around. I took it out pretty quick with my combat shotgun. Problem now is that there are other enemies out there that are even tougher...

Edited by TriggerTortoise

How do you know when a quest has a time limit?

I don't want to spoil anything even though it was a side quest, but basically I got a new quest and decided I'd do it later because I was already in the middle of one. Later in the day when I started playing the game, the quest was failed, if I had known the quest was on a time limit, I probably would have done it straight away.

I don't think it's a big deal that I failed it, but it's still a little annoying.

How do you know when a quest has a time limit?

I don't want to spoil anything even though it was a side quest, but basically I got a new quest and decided I'd do it later because I was already in the middle of one. Later in the day when I started playing the game, the quest was failed, if I had known the quest was on a time limit, I probably would have done it straight away.

I don't think it's a big deal that I failed it, but it's still a little annoying.

I want to say it's only for settlement quests, but I'm not certain of this. That said, if you fail a settlement quest, you can return to the settlement and get a new one.

Also, there's this: https://psnprofiles.com/forums/topic/32522-quest-failed-raider-trouble-at-nordhagen-beach/

Edited by TriggerTortoise
  • Like 1

Vault 111. It's in a Master lock cabinet.

Well, after a Deathclaw spawned near my Starlight Drive-In settlement, I decided to build a wall all the way around. Ran out of wood and the wall's only half done...but the settlement is shaping up nicely. I've started building stores and modding stations, housing my third power armor suit (finally got a few T-60 parts).

The Deathclaw wasn't all that hard this time around. I took it out pretty quick with my combat shotgun. Problem now is that there are other enemies out there that are even tougher...

I am in the process of gathering materials to build a wall for Sanctuary. They haven't been attacked yet, but at 80% happiness, I don't want to take any chances. Beyond that, I got a lot done this weekend. I progressed far enough in the story and obtained enough weaponry to where I feel comfortable enough roaming the countryside. I was able to romance Piper, and now I am working on romancing Cait. I am at the end of the Minuteman quests, and just joined the BoS. I am hoping to join the Railroad soon. Right now, I am in the South, fighting Mirelurks and Super Mutants as I roam, exploring places. I also ran into a fellow named Parker Quinn, a unique fellow. Anyone else run into him?

Finally, how does one get the trophy for placing a grenade or mine on someone while pickpocketing? I have tried that 2 or 3 times, and it has never worked, and I have lost the grenade as well. Any tips for that?

I am in the process of gathering materials to build a wall for Sanctuary. They haven't been attacked yet, but at 80% happiness, I don't want to take any chances. Beyond that, I got a lot done this weekend. I progressed far enough in the story and obtained enough weaponry to where I feel comfortable enough roaming the countryside. I was able to romance Piper, and now I am working on romancing Cait. I am at the end of the Minuteman quests, and just joined the BoS. I am hoping to join the Railroad soon. Right now, I am in the South, fighting Mirelurks and Super Mutants as I roam, exploring places. I also ran into a fellow named Parker Quinn, a unique fellow. Anyone else run into him?

Finally, how does one get the trophy for placing a grenade or mine on someone while pickpocketing? I have tried that 2 or 3 times, and it has never worked, and I have lost the grenade as well. Any tips for that?

I was having the same problem, I think we have to point some points into pickpocket. I had the stealthboy on so was completely hidden but had less than 50% chance of success of planting and it didn't say live plus they still freak out and start shooting at you. Even held  :r1: like when you throw to see if that had anything to do with it but I don't think it does. Its not set up to be as easy as fo3. 

So I think for it to be "live" you have to successfully pickpocket them, Idk about stealing all their stuff beforehand, that shouldn't be necessary.

Edit: I also tried this like 4 times and once was 1 pt in pickpocket with a stealthboy on and I still failed at doing it successfully, so I'll try 2 pts +stealthboy next time.

Edited by Not_like_therest

You can save right before doing this so you can try more than once. It's easiest in a building so you can come around a corner while a raider is facing the other way and then crouch, walk up behind them and pickpocket them. You will need the pickpocket perk (not sure if level 2 is needed). Place a frag grenade in their inventory and DO NOT take any of their stuff otherwise it'll cancel like it did for me and they'll start shooting you. Once you leave the pickpocket screen, the grenade will be live and after it blows up is when you can take their things.

Stealthboys aren't necessarily needed. I didn't use one and i did mine on the second go after being stupid and stealing from him and him noticing me.

Edited by Exalted-Risk
  • Like 1

I think it's a worthy successor to Fallout 3. I do wish that they had found a way to make the game look beautiful like the loading screen images.

Honestly it's kind of just like playing 3 again except in a different setting and story. 

The biggest positive I give this game would be the updated models on creatures like Feral Ghouls, Deathclaws, etc. Makes the game infinitely more unique and atmospheric with how those enemies move and come after you now.

I also have to continue to applaud them for giving you bang for your buck. I platinumed this game after roughly 30-40 hours and I haven't even remotely gotten into any of the side quest stuff hardly. There's just so much to do the main quest honestly just being one long side quest when you look at it next to everything else it has to offer.

To the guy asking about the grenade trophy I just quicksaved and stuck a grenade in Sturgis's pocket in Sanctuary. Got it as soon as he exploded

Somehow I ended up going the entire game with just one minor settlement being attacked. I guess having the proper amount of defense makes it less likely for them to get attacked as I set up cheap turrets every settlement I added.

Edited by Maddawgmax

I am currently looking for The institute. I have decided I want to do all factions trophies on one playthrough, so finding The Institute is imperative for me to make that happen. I recently went further into the main quest, as well as exploring to try and find the bobbleheads. I have killed 2 giant creatures thus far in my travels. I also have Sanctuary at 75%, and I finally have the Local Leader perk, so now I just need Caps so I can build stores and try and raise its happiness.