Fallout 4 General Discussion

Parker

fallout-4_8.jpg

It is finally here! So fellow Vault Dwellers, how are you finding the Commonwealth so far? 

Personally, I'm loving the game. I find everything much more engaging than the previous two games, the gunplay is vastly superior, the graphics while not amazing are certainly very pretty and the atmosphere is phenomenal. I've only played a few missions since leaving Vault 111 but so far I've had a great time. 

I've run into a few issues where the on screen subtitles don't match up to what the character is actually saying and a few frame drops here and there but honestly, that was to be expected. Nothing major or really bothersome though and I hope it stays that way. 

On another positive note, the wifey loves it too. She usually isn't into games like this but Fallout 4 has held her attention so far, she is really enjoying watching me play.

Let me know your thoughts on the game and we can discuss our progress as we go along.

Vault-boy12.jpg

Parker 

• Like 1

I'm 7 hours into my playthrough and I'm really enjoying it. It was a slow start but I recently got to Diamond City and things are starting to get interesting.

Graphics are poor but when you see the sun glaring through the trees in the wasteland it does look pretty. I've also noticed quite a lot of frame rate drops but I don't really care about that unless I was playing on a PC.

I might just suck at Fallout games (only played a little bit of NV and 3) but I die quite a lot! Ended up putting the difficulty down to easy but I don't really care about that (unless there are difficulty related trophies which I don't think there are).

How are people finding the new V.A.T.S system. What with it not stopping time but slowing instead.

I actually like it. Completely stopping time felt just a little too cheap to me, this still gives you an advantage but it doesn't feel cheap. 

Parker

• Like 2

I'm really enjoying it and have really gotten into the building/crafting bit of the game. No glitches or issues of any kind yet which is good and unexpected. Just made it to Diamond City and things are getting interesting.

Only thing I don't like so far is you only have one companion at a time but s'pose it makes the fights a little more challenging.

How are people finding the new V.A.T.S system. What with it not stopping time but slowing instead.

Makes me rush the shots a bit but it's not too bad.
  • Like 1

I've played F3 and New Vegas on PC ages ago (I used to play bathesda games on pc, as i did with TES Morrowind, Oblivion and Skyrim) but now it is old and I'm mainly gaming on playstation.

I'll buy it as soon as i reach 47-49 plats because I want it to be my  :platinum: #50 (and because I have a lot of unfinished games to play right now...)

Edited by Re-LoreLink

I'm really confused as to how you build things at the workshops. It says I have all the materials yet the "build" button is still grayed out and doesn't let me build anything. Under the require tab it says I need and then there's a silhouette of the fallout boy? Please help lol

Ok, press the touch pad and hold outside of the workshop bench area, this will bring up the options to place buildings and stuff.

Use the d-pad to navigate the type, then narrow down what type you want to place: floor walls, a door

http://www.playstationtrophies.org/news/news-17694-How-To-Build-a-Settlement-in-Fallout-4---Quick-Look-Video.html

Its not the best but it'll do. All the junk you scrapped (hold touch pad +  :square: ) will be used to build stuff

I'm not sure what thats for at the workstation unless its blueprints or something 

Edit: You can press :circle: to store as well.

Edited by Not_like_therest

I'm really confused as to how you build things at the workshops. It says I have all the materials yet the "build" button is still grayed out and doesn't let me build anything. Under the require tab it says I need and then there's a silhouette of the fallout boy? Please help lol

If I understand what you mean by the silhouette, it might be that you don't have the required perk to build the item you're looking to build. Also, some items require workers because they're too heavy to build and place on your own, so you might have to build a radio beacon first to attract people to your settlement.

So far, I have gotten as far as returning the settlers from Concord to Sanctuary. Yeah, not far at all. I cannot wait to explore the world now that the mission constraints are complete. I haven't noticed any frame rate issues, but there was a soft freeze. I went into my Pip-Boy in the middle of the fight with the Deathclaw in Concord so I could use a Stimpak as I was near death, and I could access everything in the Pip-Boy, but I couldn't close the Pip-Boy and return to my epic battle. All it took was reloading my most recent save, which thankfully put me right back at the beginning of the battle.

Also, not sure how many are aware, but I ran the opposite direction once I exited the Vault to do some exploring before returning to Codsworth and Sanctuary, and I came across a shack just to the Southeast of the first power line tower, slightly northwest of the vault, after the path forks (go to the right), and in there are crafting items and a slew of bobby pins. Maybe everyone found it already, but I figured I'd let everyone know. However, you need a bobby pin to open it, so unfortunately, you have to go into Sanctuary first to get one, then run back.

Overall, I think this will be enjoyable. Like I said, I haven't played for long. Just wanted to gain a feel for it, before I begin my exploration.

I do have one question. I figured out how to put on and take off the power armor. But at the power armor station (at the gas station), does anyone know how to do repairs, and/or charge the fusion core to return max power tot he power armor? When I walk up to it, I simply get Craft and Transfer options, and Craft is greyed out.

Edited by ShogunCroCop
  • Like 1

So, I came across my first bothersome bug. I was fighting a couple of raiders with their dog when a mirelurk showed up. I was using a pretty badass laser rifle and I had well over 200 fusion cells (ammunition) for it, I killed one of the dogs and accidentally hit  :square: on the corpse which brought up the transfer menu. Somehow all my fusion cells just disappeared so I brought my double barrel shotgun out and killed the mirelurker son of a bitch (and hit level 10 for beating him too!) then went back to the dog and brought up the trade menu again. Unfortunately none of my ammunition was there so I lost all the ammo in what was my favorite gun. I still haven't been able to find much more ammo for that thing either...

Parker

. I was fighting a couple of raiders with their dog when a mirelurk showed up.

Parker

Dammit these bastards are back again!? Of all the creepy crawlers in the fallout world these guys freak me out the most. A gang of them beat me down pretty badly during a sewer exploration years back in 3 and i have hated them since

Dammit these bastards are back again!? Of all the creepy crawlers in the fallout world these guys freak me out the most. A gang of them beat me down pretty badly during a sewer exploration years back in 3 and i have hated them since

Oh yeah they're back and at a lower level they are quite terrifying. I was playing last night while my wife was on the computer and she kept hearing them skittering around and looked at me and said"kill whatever the fuck is making that noise, it is creeping me out."  :lol:

Easier said than done though, especially when my best weapon doesn't have any more ammo...

Parker

• Like 1

I like the game so far, but it's far from perfect. I'm disappointed at how simplified the game is, even more so than Skyrim which is quite the accomplishment! I mean there aren't skill points, hell, there aren't even skills! It feels much closer to an FPS than an RPG now, so I guess that's up to the person if they prefer that or not. Another mechanic they removed that is really strange to me is the repair system. I liked how in Fallout 3 & New Vegas, the weapons and armour you use would degrade with time. It really made scavenging for other weapons and armour a lot more meaningful. Also the fact that you can pick up a gun from an enemy you just killed and it being in mint condition is kinda meh. I have so many guns on my character, I don't even know what to do with them all! 

Things I do welcome though are the much improved gunplay. It feels a lot more satisfying to play as a result. Also the world is beautiful and I'm always coming across new and interesting things. It's still early days yet, but I prefer Fallout 3 & New Vegas right now. At least it's much better than Skyrim though!  :D

I like the game so far, but it's far from perfect. I'm disappointed at how simplified the game is, even more so than Skyrim which is quite the accomplishment! I mean there aren't skill points, hell, there aren't even skills! It feels much closer to an FPS than an RPG now, so I guess that's up to the person if they prefer that or not. Another mechanic they removed that is really strange to me is the repair system. I liked how in Fallout 3 & New Vegas, the weapons and armour you use would degrade with time. It really made scavenging for other weapons and armour a lot more meaningful. Also the fact that you can pick up a gun from an enemy you just killed and it being in mint condition is kinda meh. I have so many guns on my character, I don't even know what to do with them all! 

Things I do welcome though are the much improved gunplay. It feels a lot more satisfying to play as a result. Also the world is beautiful and I'm always coming across new and interesting things. It's still early days yet, but I prefer Fallout 3 & New Vegas right now. At least it's much better than Skyrim though!  :D

I think you can repair some items though. The left arm on my power armor was completely destroyed, and I got a message saying I needed to repair it before I could use it again. So it appears repairing is possible. I just have no idea how to do it.

Edited by ShogunCroCop

I think you can repair some items though. The left arm on my power armor was completely destroyed, and I got a message saying I needed to repair it before I could use it again. So it appears repairing is possible. I just have no idea how to do it.

Hmmm, I haven't seen anything like that yet. Maybe it's just the power armour? If that's the case, it's still disappointing that weapons don't seem to degrade.

Weapons dont degrade because they want you to experiment with the mod system. Every time you install a mod, the gun becomes a different weapon and holds a separate place in your inventory. For example, I have a high powered 10MM pistol with improved iron sights and rapid fire. However, I also have a legendary 10 MM that is automatic with a suppressor an automatic amount of crit points. If one of these were to degrade, I would have to repair it with what could be a very different weapon entirely.

Edited by sgttrumbo