1 TB or 2 TB PS4 HD Upgrade?

FireHotStickies

53 members have voted

1. 1. 1 TB or 2 TB

• 1 TB
    • 2 TB

I've had my PS4 a couple of weeks now and after installing 2 games, my stock 500GB drive is down to 380GB. I have both a 1TB and 2TB hard drive to use for the upgrade, but not sure which to use.

I would say 95% of the games I will play will be physical (not sure this makes much difference since you have to install them anyway).

I would put the 2TB hard drive in my PS4 immediately, but I'm afraid I won't be able to fill it and it will seem like a waste. If I kept the 2TB out, I would use it for films, TV series etc, which my 1TB is almost full of just now.

Also, I would say I would probably play / install 10 games a year max.

What do you think guys? Any help would be appreciated.

Edited by FireHotStickies

1tb if you need to upgrade at all. 2tb is excessive. How many games are you playing at any one time? I I'm still rocking a 500gb. I have 15 games of various sizes installed at the moment and still have 100gb to spare. Say you stick a 2tb in there. You'd have space for 30+ 50gb size games at once. Would you honestly need all those installed at the same time?

I would only be playing about 4 or 5 games at a time probably.

Sounds like I will be able to get approx 30 games installed on a 1 TB hard drive which should be more than enough. I would probably find better use for the 2TB as a hard drive for films etc, as the 1TB I am using just now is almost full.

It's just everywhere I read says that 500GB is definitely too small and even 1TB can be considered too small. Nearly all of the upgrade guides suggest skipping 1TB and just putting in a 2TB right from the get go. I thought it seemed a bit excessive too, but thought I would ask.

How long does it take to delete a game from Hard Drive? I know installing can take some time, but is deleting pretty quick?

EDIT: Also, don't you find yourself deleting and reinstalling games a lot?

Edited by FireHotStickies

Seems like 2TB is the clear winner. However, I'm still not sure it is the best choice for my situation.

I don't think I will probably play that much games in the console's lifetime. I am a student in my final 2 years so won't have too much time to play over the next couple of years. Overall, I would think I would maybe play 50-60 games tops through the console's lifespan. I probably would need more than a 1TB to play them all at the same time, but do I really need that? I feel that for the majority of the console's life, 1TB will be enough and that the majority of space on the 2TB drive will be wasted in the PS4. I think it would be put to better use as an external hard drive, to play films etc. through PS4 and PC.

Still not 100% decided but just how I am feeling at the moment.

Well, I'm using my PS4 for over 1 year now and I'm totally fine with my 500GB xD 

I don't get why you should have like 40 games installed at the same time. And especially, if you will mainly play physical copies, the 2TB is simply a waste. Take the 1TB You will probably never need more then that.

And about the installation thingy, No game I had as physical copy had to be installed yet o_O Only the updates. But I normally delete them, after I finished the game up.

Save yourself the hassle later, stick a 2TB in there and never have to worry about space for a long time.

1 TB you get about 931GB - PS4 software (~92GB) = 839GB

2TB you get about 1862 GB - PS4 software (~92GB) = 1770GB

If you play much big AAA titles you'll probably go over 1TB unless you play a lof of those little indie games...

My biggest game as of now is ESO at 64GB

Batman:AK at second place 60GB

GTAV is a whooping 58GB

Almost every other big AAA titles are 48+GB

I have a feeling games are only going to take up more next year.

Edit: I'd stick a 3 or 4 Tb in there if I could... or if there is one that is well priced. ^^

Better off save than waste time again to redownload/install later again.

Edited by ERGOPROXY-DECAY

Save yourself the hassle later, stick a 2TB in there and never have to worry about space for a long time.

1 TB you get about 931GB - PS4 software (~92GB) = 839GB

2TB you get about 1862 GB - PS4 software (~92GB) = 1770GB

If you play much big AAA titles you'll probably go over 1TB unless you play a lof of those little indie games...

My biggest game as of now is ESO at 64GB

Batman:AK at second place 60GB

GTAV is a whooping 58GB

Almost every other big AAA titles are 48+GB

I have a feeling games are only going to take up more next year.

Edit: I'd stick a 3 or 4 Tb in there if I could... or if there is one that is well priced. ^^

Better off save than waste time again to redownload/install later again.

I know this isn't completely accurate, but if you assume every game takes up 50GB:

1TB = 839/50 = 16.78 Games

AND

2TB = 1770/50 = 35.4 Games

Putting it that way, it seems like 2TB would be the better choice.

The built in 500gb is ridiculously small, but that being said, deleting and reinstalling a game every now and then isn't a deal breaker. 

I'll admit, waiting to download 20gb's of updates kind of got rid of my urge to play DriveClub again, but a couple hours late I sucked it up and played it.

I'd say do what I do, regardless of which size you end up choosing, and keep the games with massive updates on your machine, even if you aren't going to touch them in a while. I played inFamous First Light for the first time in ages a week or two back, and putting the disc in and starting it up in a minute or so is a lot better than if I wanted to play Batman again and had to download another 15gb or so at least of patches.

Bit the bullet and went for 2 TB.  :D

Thanks for all the help guys.

EDIT: Just got it all done now.

1.77 TB in system and stock 500GB taken out, formatted and put into caddy to use as an external hard drive.

Good job! Im so proud of you! :D

• 4 weeks later...

I would go 2TB. That is actually what I ended up going with for my upgrade. 2TB is more than enough space and also doesn't cost much more than a 1TB.

Which 2TB did you get? The wife has wanted to up the ps4 for awhile now. For movies etc. Games. Never have to delete to make space or install and wait ages for updates to download.

Does it make the ps4 speed up? I know some does and some does not. I'd be interestd in a 2TB myself.

My friend has an upgraded hdd

I don't recall which

The most important thing I remember him saying was that it disables Rest Mode

Not that I ever really use that feature frequently but

I wouldn't want to upgrade my hdd if it disables anything

So for me, the stock 500GB drive will have to do, for now

11GB remaining..ugh

Time to play the, delete this game for now to make room!

My friend has an upgraded hdd

I don't recall which

The most important thing I remember him saying was that it disables Rest Mode

Not that I ever really use that feature frequently but

I wouldn't want to upgrade my hdd if it disables anything

So for me, the stock 500GB drive will have to do, for now

11GB remaining..ugh

Time to play the, delete this game for now to make room!

I dont know what your friend did, but I never heard it disables Rest Mode at least my rest mode runs fine.

Which 2TB did you get? The wife has wanted to up the ps4 for awhile now. For movies etc. Games. Never have to delete to make space or install and wait ages for updates to download.

Does it make the ps4 speed up? I know some does and some does not. I'd be interestd in a 2TB myself.

I am using a Samsung Seagate 2TB Laptop HDD SATA III 2.5-Inch Internal Bare Drive 9.5MM (ST2000LM003) 5400RPM

Its made me a very happy person not having to worry about space anytime soom. Though I only have 320GB left now lol.

Regarding speed you really wont feel much difference with SSHD or SSD or reg drives. You shave off at most 2-8secs and that even varies on games. Some games actually load faster on a reg hdd.

There has been some tests, like IGN did one awhile back http://www.ign.com/wikis/playstation-4/PlayStation_4_Hard_Drive_Speed_Test_Comparison

I feel sticking to just regular hdd is fine over costly SSHD or SSD atm. not to mention size.

Edited by ERGOPROXY-DECAY

Since the OP already made their decision, I'll post my thought process for people who might see this in the future.

You need to ask yourself if you will fill up the new hard drive in the next 6 months. If yes, you can purchase it.

If not, you need to ask yourself if you'd be willing to pay for something that you aren't guaranteed to use. If yes, you can purchase it.

If not, you can wait another 6 months for the price to drop for x sized hard drives. After the 6 months, ask yourself the same questions. 

I say this because I've had the same internal debate with myself. 6 months is just an arbitrary amount of time. I put a hard drive in my amazon wish list and it's dropped 5% in price over the past 2 months.

I have the Samsung Seagate as well and it works marvelous and just like ERGOPROXY said it takes off worry about space, right now it is the best time to get the 2tb hard drive since it is just 99 dollars (when I bought it it was 94 dollars)

2terabytes_zps57zepduk.png

Here is the current memory of my PS4 for refrence:

ehed_zpsdt69latm.jpg

• Like 1

2TB, you will easily fill it up, I filled mine up within 6 months. ( you don't want to delete anything especially with some of the huge updates that require download )

Totally agree. I have a couple games that already hit the 63GB+ each. Thanks to DLC and updates, and being Digital. Actually my Batman Arknam Knight isnt Digital but its 63GB~