Hitman Pre-Orders Cancelled on PSN

kidson2004

Reports say that Square made the call to cancel the pre-orders because of some changes they're making to the game. But, people who have it pre-ordered will get their full refund. Plus the game's still coming out in March. No new details as to when people can pre-order it again:

(Here's the link: http://gamerant.com/hitman-pre-order-cancel/)

Gamers will see quite a few highly anticipated games release this Spring, including the next installment of Square Enix’s Hitman series. Unfortunately, there seems to be a hiccup in the game’s development, at least for those on PlayStation 4.

In a message sent out to PlayStation 4 owners who pre-ordered Hitman, Sony has canceled all PlayStation Store preorders of the game per the publisher’s request. A new pre-order will be available for gamers soon, though no timeline is provided. Here’s the full message from Sony:

“Thank you for pre-ordering Hitman. The publisher has notified us that the configuration of the product you pre-ordered has changed significantly. As a result we have withdrawn the current pre-order from PlayStation Store and will cancel all pre-orders. You will receive an email confirmation when your pre-order has been cancelled. A revised pre-order for Hitman will be available on the store soon.”

Fortunately for those looking forward to once again taking on the role of Agent 47, the game isn’t receiving another release delay. The official Hitman Twitter account provided a few additional details, including the purpose of the delay. According to the Tweet:

“If your HITMAN pre-order is cancelled, don’t panic. Release date is still March 11. We’re adjusting a few things & will update in a few days.”

It’s likely
won’t provided any further details about the fix, but as long as the game is available on time and works, gamers probably won’t care too much. It will be a little annoying for PlayStation 4 owners who preordered the game to have to preorder it again, but it’s a small price to pay for a working game. In a time when
in some form or fashion, gamers are ready to see a fully functional game at launch.

It also seems Square Enix can’t get away from the confusing and odd circumstances surrounding the release of
Hitman
. The publisher revealed a few months ago that
Hitman
would be launching “fully complete” but “not finished,” with the studio planning to release additional content for the game for free in months after the initial launch. The new content will include new locations, missions and targets – content that could normally be included in DLC – going forward. It’s unclear if the initial launch will see a complete ending, or if players should expect that at a later date.

Hitman
is set to release on March 11, 2016 for PC, PS4, and Xbox One.

I fear this may be a bad sign. I'm afraid this could mean scaling back the tried and true single player experience in favour of multiplayer content. I hope to god I'm wrong because the mp in absolution was horrible, and the online contracts were lame.

Most of the games that I know of are going more towards the MP route, so it won't surprise me if they scale down some of the single player stuff to improve on the multiplayer/online portion.

Hopefully they're canning that whole "have part of the game now, part later, part even later, then there'll be a full release after everything else is out" bullcrap. Just seems like they're trying to artificially extend the "buzz" around the game by drawing out its release over a 3 month period. 

Anyway, I hope anyone who buys this in March enjoys it. I'll be waiting for a full review of a full game before I part with my £. 

• Like 2

This seems really messy, but the move is fair on Squeenix's side. They'll only lose money by doing this and they can make sure nobody's getting something they didn't preorder. Unless of course they only withdrew it so they can put it up again at a higher price.

To be honest , this only shows that SE care about customers! why? ok , let me explain . There are two typ of game developement at the moment .  1) Long term customer , making good games, so ppl know when a new game is coming they can buy it without waiting to much , (money comes from high sale over time)  2) Pre-order customers, hyping a game , alot of advertise , so ppl buy (pre order) the game even if it is buggy , unfinished ( money comes from huge preorder) .

Problem is that second one is very popular and brings a lot of money , and media just say " top game , because of X thousend sales on day one" ..... ppl hear that and think the game must be good.

So in the end , SE dont want to change something in the game  without giving the customers the chance to think about it if they really like the changes! Other developer/publisher would just release it without careing , because they still get the money.

Edited by Xionx
  • Like 2

why would you preorder a digital copy anyways? What is PSN going to run out of Digital games to give away?

Many games will allow you to download the game a few days before release so if you have slower internet you won't have to wait hours or days to play your game, you can play it as soon as it unlocks on release day. 

Parker

• Like 3

I'm not sure who would be pre-ordering this game anyway. Even as someone who enjoys the Hitman games, I'm incredibly skeptical about this one, as I'm sure many other people are. They are essentially chopping up the game into small pieces and trying to sell that to us based on trust alone that they will give us our monies worth. And I'm sorry, but I find it extremely hard to trust any "AAA" publisher these days, especially with their track record of screwing us over.

I know I won't be picking this up until the entire game is actually released, and even then, I'll probably just wait for a sale. I will not support this kind of business practice and I hope I'm not the only one, lest this becomes commonplace.

To be honest , this only shows that SE care about customers! why? ok , let me explain . There are two typ of game developement at the moment .  1) Long term customer , making good games, so ppl know when a new game is coming they can buy it without waiting to much , (money comes from high sale over time)  2) Pre-order customers, hyping a game , alot of advertise , so ppl buy (pre order) the game even if it is buggy , unfinished ( money comes from huge preorder) .

Problem is that second one is very popular and brings a lot of money , and media just say " top game , because of X thousend sales on day one" ..... ppl hear that and think the game must be good.

So in the end , SE dont want to change something in the game  without giving the customers the chance to think about it if they really like the changes! Other developer/publisher would just release it without careing , because they still get the money.

Umm....Sorry but I highly doubt that SE is doing this to give customers and chance to think about it. If you pre-order, you know you are taking a gamble on what exactly the product is going to be, as that is always in flux.

One of two scenarios is more likely

a) the content has so totally and completely changed that there would be a colossal backlash and PR shitstorm that SE did this to avoid subsequent negative PR/lawsuits

B) SE is changing the game that they are providing and want to charge more at launch, so they are cancelling and will relist at a higher price so as not to lose money.

I am leaning towards B) as being the more likely scenario, as I have not heard anything about the game's content that would make a) more plausible. If this is truly an a) type change, I would think that SE would be announcing details about the game to prepare for the new preorders

You gotta understand this is neo square enix and people say don't worry about ff7 remake lol. 

They probably have a similar idea to this for the episodic release of FF7 remake. Maybe they are testing it out on Hitman and see how people react. Even if most people hate it, I can imagine they will continue to release the FF7 remake in this way, regardless.

That's not how gaming works anymore unfortunately. You get 20% at realease, with 10% as Day 1 DLC and the other 70% as DLC over time.

Remember when you bought a game and you actually got the full game? Pepperidge Farm remembers.

I know it was wishful thinking.

They just announced it'll be episodic.

WHAT THE FUCK?!?! Not so sure I want it now...

Edited by ShadowStar83x

Yeah, it's going full blown episodic. 

So if you buy in March, you'll only get the Prologue and the Paris map now. Morocco and Italy will then launch in April and May, and the last 3 maps (Thailand, USA and Japan) at some unspecified time.

Before, you would get half the game in March (3 maps - Paris, Morocco and Italy), then another map each month until all 6 were out by around May 2016.

Source.