Any Profound Games About U.S. History?

ENinjask123

For once in my life, school has finally given me an excuse to play video games! :D

If you don't know me (which you wouldn't unless you saw my greeting post some time ago...) I am a college freshman, and this semester I am taking a course on United States history from the end of the Civil War to the present. One of the possible assignments I can do for this class is an analysis on video games that have historical themes. Yay!

So obviously I'm going to attempt that one. However, what games are good? Note that I'm asking for suggestions on games that will help me write the analysis. I am not asking anyone to write my paper for me. Please don't. All I need to know about the game is the time frame in which it deals with (Gilded Age, WWII, etc.) Some games that the syllabus gives as examples include Call of Duty, Medal of Honor, and Bioshock.  And though I haven't played this particular one and it wasn't on the syllabus, I know Spec Ops: The Line would be a great example.

Also remember the class only deals with history following the Civil War.

By the way, the games do not have to be good. They just have to be heavily thematic.

Thanks for your eventual suggestions! I'm assuming I'll get plenty. Wish me well with my studies, and have a great day!

Edited by ENinjask123

There's probably an Assassin's Creed game or 2 about US history...AC3 is the Revolutionary war. I can't say I'd recommend them, but they got some good historical stuff in them.

There are the history channel games on PS3 as well (I believe Vita too), but again I'm not too sure on the time zones.

Additionally, Valiant Hearts: The Great War would be perfect for The Great War.. Doesn't focus on America, but you can learn a lot about the war, I certainly learnt a few things. Not only that but the story is very good as well.

Edited by Cobby
  • Like 1

Assassin's Creed 3 is independence war, has you witness major battles and meet historical figures. Red dead redemption is also nice or call of juarez which does feature the civil war.

Also there is Empire: Total War on PC which is a strategy game that also features indepence war and subsequent push west iirc

There's probably an Assassin's Creed game or 2 about US history... If I remember correctly AC3 is the civil war. I can't say I'd recommend them, but they got some good historical stuff in them.

There are the history channel games on PS3 as well (I believe Vita too), but again I'm not too sure on the time zones.

Actually, Assassin's Creed III and Assassin's Creed III: Liberation were both set during the revolutionary war. There is also a History Channel game based loosely around the exploits of General Patton in World War II. 

...Speaking of World War II, there are numerous shooters and strategy games that are set in this era.

The Fallout games, while not necessarily set in a period of actual American history, do a great job of capturing fears of the populace that was alive during the Cold War era.

Also, if you're looking for games that don't happen to be on Sony platforms, there's Oregon Trail, which is a classic. :)

Edited by darkamdusias

I wouldn't recommend Assassin's Creed III as a "profound" game on US history. It gets the basic facts correct, but then seeks to connect previously unconnected events into some overarching alternate historical conspiracy. If you want to do a report on alternate history, Assassin's Creed's your jam, but not real history. Real history is what you'd call the frame story for the insanity that happens in an Assassin's Creed game.

• Like 1

Call of Duty 1-3, Call of Duty World at War, Legends of War: Patton, AC3, probably some more....

There's probably an Assassin's Creed game or 2 about US history... If I remember correctly AC3 is the civil war. I can't say I'd recommend them, but they got some good historical stuff in them.

AC3 was the revolutionary war. :)

Actually, Assassin's Creed III and Assassin's Creed III: Liberation were both set during the revolutionary war. There is also a History Channel game based loosely around the exploits of General Patton in World War II. 

AC3 was the revolutionary war. :)

Oops, changed it :P Not very knowledgeable on American history :(

• Like 1

All of these suggestions are good; however, they fall within the wrong time frame. I edited the opening post to better specify, but the class is U.S. History 1865->present. This means no Revolutionary War, no Western expansion, no Civil War... But yes to the Great War(s) (or World War(s)), Cold War, and even to modern day ethical issues that didn't necessarily exist twenty or thirty years ago. Games like Deus Ex: Human Revolution, which revolves around the ethics of body modification/augmentation, and the class issues it presents.

Also, that Fallout example was perfect. Completely forgot about that one. :)

I agree with Cobby that Valiant Hearts is a great game about the Great War. One of its characters is American, if I'm not mistaken, offering an American view on the events. Have to admit I'm having a tough time thinking of games aside from Assassin's Creed that fit the 'historical' type and are set in the 19th and 20th century. I imagine there must be alot of strategy games that would fit the bill, but I'm not into those, so I don't know any. 

Off the top of my head, if the present is also okay, one could draw parallels between the events of Infamous Second Son and the stances of certain Republican politicians on some issues, and how they may influence society. 

It's nice to see more ppl like the history  :)

1. Legend of War series: the game focuses on General George S. Patton's campaign during WWII. I think you can write papers about his campaigns (I don't think the game covers every campaign), and how you feel about this game in term of how accurate the history is (compared with the online source if you can find some).

2. Medal of Honor series: I enjoy playing every MOH game up to MOH: Airborne. Depending on which battle zone you want to analyze, I suggest you to play these games in any order:

• Medal of Honor: Pacific Assault,
  • Medal of Honor: European Assault
  • Medal of Honor: Allied Assault (best MOH in my opinion):
  • Medal of Honor: Frontline
  • Medal of Honor: Airborne

Both Frontline and Allied Assault have: Omaha Beach on D-Day if you are interest in this epic battle, Other MOH games are also good if you want to play them later. About WWII-related Call of Duty games, I have no suggestion since I didn't play this series except COD modern warfare and Black Ops series.

3. Battlefield 1942: it's a good game which you can try.

4. Men Of War series: this series involves the battles during WWII and Vietnam War. You can control both "sides" in the game so you can have a point of view on each side.

5. American Conquest series: This series includes almost every major wars since "someone" discovered New World. Since you live in Texas, so I think you should play American Conquest: Divided Nation. One of main battles is Battle of the Alamo (Remember the Alamo ;) , fellow Texan)

Game is still the game, no matter how much they tell you in the game, it's not really accurate, even the real history isn't either, sadly. "History is written by the victors"

Edited by hasegawa2010
  • Like 1

I suddenly remembered Soul Suspect, but that game's historical references are 200 years or so before your dates. Sorry I'm drawing blanks too :(

This thread (and recently completing AC Syndicate) had made me realise there aren't really any historic games and I wouldn't mind a few :P Give me more games like AC Syndicate (with a better overall story) and the Order (hopefully we'll get a more fleshed out sequel), I love the Victorian age.

Hell even a game where we have to track down Jack The Ripper, or even be him, would be so awesome :D

Call of Duty 1-5? All of those game relate to World War I and World War II if I am not mistaken. Many of them even have specific "American" campaigns. This would be my option for writing a paper like this since the two World Wars, in general, allow for so much freedom in writing because there is so much documented information about them. 

Ooooooohhh, *lightbulb flashes on* Gone Home, while it might not be to biggest historic game. It's set in Portland in 1995 and touches on a subject which is dealt with differently from today's society. I won't specify what, because it is a slight spoiler. The game doesn't focus on the subject, but it's a part of the story and I wouldn't want to ruin the experience for anyone.

Ooooooohhh, *lightbulb flashes on* Gone Home, while it might not be to biggest historic game. It's set in Portland in 1995 and touches on a subject which is dealt with differently from today's society. I won't specify what, because it is a slight spoiler. The game doesn't focus on the subject, but it's a part of the story and I wouldn't want to ruin the experience for anyone.

Are you talking about the sister's storyline, or the father's? Because I also thought of Gone Home, mainly focusing on the father's side.

Red Dead Redemption is a fine representation of the Progressive Era, mainly modernization. The cowboys, a symbol of independence, were coming to an end as machinery like steam trains and automobiles became more prolific and made travel easier, but also meant that safety was a bigger concern for people migrating westward. The FBI's involvement in the story shows how the federal government is expanding and encroaching on the freedom of an individual. Harold MacDougal is another good representation of the double-standard of the Progressive Era as he appears to be an intellectual from Yale but still treats Native Americans like they're not even human, an unfortunate implication of social science being used to promote white dominance.

L.A. Noire has been mentioned before, but to expand on the story itt's post-World War II with the story of what happened to several veterans of a unit. Cole Phelps rose the ranks of the LAPD and lived the American dream of that period. Phelps valued the social status that he gained as he's able to criticize suspects but he didn't reprimand his fellow officers for their racist talk or violence to women, showing the hollowness of his beliefs. There are cases that demonstrate how certain groups try to exploit another, whether it be an individual taking advantage of an insurance company, the federal government, women, immigrants or other minorities. I can't recall the full details right now but I'm pretty sure there was a case that involved a communist and I think he was scapegoated just because of his political beliefs, a sign of the Red Scare.

Bioshock Infinite is heavy on sci-fi, but it also has it's social commentary of the time period. War, mainly violence, is rationalized and praised as a sign of dominance despite the evangelical setting and teachings, forgetting the sixth commandment. Infinite also has racial and migrant exploitation, the social divide between the wealthy and poor, but the original Bioshock is better in that regard unless you want to talk about how violence is rationalized in America and how it can be praised, Infinite is the one to go for.

That's what I could think of the top of my head, but I'll check my backlogs and maybe I could find something from older generations and post back later. Good luck with your assignment and hopefully you'll get more (and less "joke") responses.

It's not American History, but if your have a PS2, Call of Duty: Finest Hour is an excellent look at the American push for dominance in the German front during World War II. Call of Duty 3 focuses on the Normandy Breakout and shifts focus from American, Canadian, Polish, English and French perspectives regularly. Call of Duty: World at War focuses on American and Russian efforts on the Pacific and Eastern front of World War II respectively. 

Call of Duty: Black Ops deals with the Vietnam War, the Cold War, nuclear armament, the space race, the Bay of Pigs and assassination attempt on Castro and JFK.

The Modern Warfare trilogy does an excellent job touching on the subjects of nuclear power and the fear and damage it can cause in the wrong hands, aside from also touching on ultranationalism, terrorism, and corruption in the military.

Another game I highly recommend, although not strictly historical, is Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater because it does talk heavily about real events that took place in America during the Cold War. 

As others have said, Legends of War: Patton is a good game to play as well. I also recommend R.U.S.E., a real-time strategy game set during the ending months of World War II. 

Red Dead Redemption is an epic western set during the early 1900s, and talks about the spread to the west, and the decline of cowboy culture in the face of Progressive technology.

While completely fictional, the Mafia games provide an excellent commentary on life during the 1950s and gang warfare.

L.A. Noire is a wonderful story-driven crime game that accurately presents 1940s Los Angeles and crime solving techniques of the age. It also deals heavily with PTSD (post traumatic stress disorder).

While probably not the best recommendation, Grand Theft Auto: Vice City provides a wonderful satire and commentary on life in the 1980s. And while I didn't really enjoy it, GTA IV presents a social commentary on the struggles of immigrants trying to settle in on life in America.

Medal of Honor: Frontline, Allied Assault, European Assault, Pacific Assault, &  Airborne are all excellent games depicting the struggle and intensity of American armed forces in the battle to reclaim the western European front and Pacific front from Axis powers. Medal of Honor (2010) is also a great game dealing with the struggles of modern soldiers in Afghanistan and their fight against the Taliban, albeit fictionalized. 

This is all I can think of for now.

Edited by Darth Remi Helghast

Valiant Hearts like some have said would be a great one. Another good one would be Medal of Honor Rising Sun. Another great one is The Saboteur. You play as an Irish man in German occupied France during WWII. Great art style to go with the game. It is like Sin City.