Trophy Hunting/Completionist and why Online Trophies drive me mad.

UnforgedSavagery

So before I begin I get that this topic has been absolutely and utterly gutted and bitched about since the beginning of trophies ever being a thing, however I just more or less want to create an fairly new age thread about them and get some feedback and opinions off you guys, okay! lets start.

So it's been some time since I've really sat down and ground out a game simply because I just don't get a lot of free time anymore - until now, so 3 weeks ago I fell asleep at the wheel of my car after a very long shift at work and managed to completely write my car off but luckily leave the devastation alive, I did manage to completely break my arm and dislocate my shoulder so I have a lot of time off and too much time to sit on my ass.

Okay, all the small details out of the way lol, so being the heavy gamer I've always been I've accumulated quite the collection of ps3 and ps4 games over the years even though I don't get much time to play them my gamer mentality insists on it as the more options the better for when you want to kill an hour or two, anyway, being the completionist I am I wanted to make a start on my games from in my opinion best to worst and start 100%'ing some games - however when I find that a game has online trophies I automatically cringe and just don't want to deal with it - not because I suck, but because depending on said game you always get players that are low class cheap and that's annoying to deal with, it can be extremely tiresome and lengthy for some too. So I'll keep it quite brief and short as I'm sure you've all heard the same complaints a million times over by now about online trophies lmao.

In closing, my main questions to all of you is what are your views on online trophies, do you think they're significant enough to achieve for the "accomplishment" feel - do you consider them to be an optimal choice of trophy hunting if you so wish and more focus offline trophies and be happy with that and do you think that they should keep a platinum for a game solely offline or perhaps release online trophies as a DLC style attatchment under original trophies? It just really bugs me knowing I'll never quite have that done and dusted feeling with a game if I don't see that 100% or that sexy little blue fella pop up haha.

For Online only games (e.g. Rainbow Six Siege it makes sense). To cut to the chase, it would be nice if they separated singleplayer and multiplayer into different lists. Like MP as add-on 'trophies'. Perhaps they could have a special badge or type of trophy that could act as the 'platinum' for MP trophies. While that would be nice, I'm fine with not getting plats or 100%'s because often it really dampens my overall experience with the game.

Just let go and enjoy gaming!

Edited by SeobabyGoguma
  • Like 3

I don't get a great deal of time to game - now I have my chance and essentially whether I'm complaining or not is a matter of perspective. Impressive and only off of 103 games, well done.

If people could refrain from negativity and just share your opinion on the topic at hand that'd be appreciated !! I don't want this thread to blow up into a sook-fest, I'm just genuinely curious about how people view trophies and whether or not they care about getting them, offline or on, thanks!

I don't get a great deal of time to game - now I have my chance and essentially whether I'm complaining or not is a matter of perspective. Impressive and only off of 103 games, well done.

If people could refrain from negativity and just share your opinion on the topic at hand that'd be appreciated !! I don't want this thread to blow up into a sook-fest, I'm just genuinely curious about how people view trophies and whether or not they care about getting them, offline or on, thanks!

You're just asking for trolls hehe

Every trophy should be offline, you should be able to earn every trophy no matter when you buy the game. Offline trophies are a show of your skill and something you can be proud of as you know you did it.

Achievement points / ranking / leaderboards / titles should apply to anything online.

In general it's the same old shit every time. A game comes out, you set up a boost, person A stands next to person B so person C can shoot them to get trophy X. Either that or person A and person B alternate capturing point C over and over for hours on end to earn trophy X. Of course some do trophy X legitimately but there's no way of knowing who has or hasn't so to me those trophies are null or void.

The only good thing about online trophies is that I've met a lot of good people along the way.

• Like 1

Not really into online much although trophies in certain games make sense to be online ones. Other's not so much, when it's a tacked on multiplayer.

However it does not worry me, if I don't enjoy the online I won't worry about the trophies and consider the single player to be my 100% and move on(presuming thats good enough to get trophies for). Saying that it does seem actually there are less online trophies this gen then last (except ofc multiplayer focused games) but that might be my imagination :lol:

Basically its the same on or offline for me. If I like the game I will get what I can, hopefully 100%, and if I don't I won't :P

Sorry...but you are on the complete opposite spectrum of the definition of a completionist. 16%....all I gotta say. Take a look at my trophy list and stop your complaining.

If you don't enjoy it, don't do it.

I thought that was a bit harsh, but I saw your profile and I'm impressed at your dedication!

Personally, I don't like online trophies, especially the silly ones that just don't add anything to the game, just like the tacked on multiplayer that many publishers seem to insist on. What I am getting at is that I believe that online trophies should only exist in online only games such as Destiny and The Division. Any game with a single player campaign shouldn't enforce online trophies. As much as I hate to admit it, there are games I normally would play but have skipped due to ridiculous online trophies and their requirements. It means I miss out on some incredible games and it kinda sucks.

Edited by MattyH16

Completely agree with you, I only buy a game based on if I can do the online multiplayer or not. I hate sitting there waiting to grind to a new multiplayer level, they should make trophies for offline and make multiplayer for people who want to have fun without worring about trophies.

Yea, well... we all hate online trophies... This is neither something new nor something that needs "bringing a new light"...

No matter how many times threads on this will be created, it will not be changed.

Also, I don't want to add fuel to fire, but prapin did raise a good a point, if someone calls himself/herself a completionist, I would expect them to at least have their completion rate in late 80s.

Edited by Satoshi Ookami
  • Like 1

You got my hopes up with this "I'll try to bring some new light on this topic" but you just said what everyone else does. If a game has online, it's nothing but logical that it should have online trophies. What is the point of getting a platinum of you don't need to dip your toes in everything the game has to offer?

Just remember that we trophy hunters are a minority amongst gamers and most people do buy games to play online (cod, fifa, destiny, battlefield, rainbow siege, etc). I've played over 260 games and only once I've been hit by servers closure/malfunction and that is BO2 which is almost 4 years old now, so plenty of time to get it done which i did. Never bothered doing mp trophies first to get them off the way and they never gave me trouble. It's just a matter of staying away from annual releases and you shouldn't ever have any trouble with online, honestly.

I completely agree, completely removing online trophies is nonsense, there are those that actually strive for them. My intention wasn't to bring any new light to the subject - just thought it'd be interesting to get an updated review on peoples perspective of the whole trophy business. I think a great idea would be to segregate online trophies from offline - perhaps have an overall "Multiplayer Trophies" score or something in that general aspect - I think even that would actually increase the amount of online activity as it'd easily be more impressive to view someones online status/score as a gamer as apposed to what they've accomplished in the offline section of the game - truthfully at the end of the day we needn't concern ourselves with trophies if we were to be quite critical about it as gaming has and should always be about enjoying the game and what it has to offer rather than tediously chase tokens of accomplishment which may or may not diminish the overall experience, but when you have the option there it's rather hard not to at least put yourself into the competitive/challenging aspect of achieving the given feats.

Yea, well... we all hate online trophies... This is neither something new nor something that needs "bringing a new light"...

No matter how many times threads on this will be created, it will not be changed.

Also, I don't want to add fuel to fire, but prapin did raise a good a point, if someone calls himself/herself a completionist, I would expect them to at least have their completion rate in late 80s.

Duly noted, I'm working on it as we speak - feel free to check me out from time to time I promise improvements - only now have I really had as good an opportunity to do so, hopefully I won't disappoint you veterans ;)

Hate them, but I understand the reason for them being part of the Platinum experience.

I don't mind online trophies if not for the fact that some trophies also depends on the skills of other people in your team - this is the case in Destiny's 'Flawless Raider' trophy & certain ones in the Dying Light Bozak Horde DLC from my personal experience. I simply don't like relying on others for trophies, and this isn't helped by the fact that the Bozak Horde DLC trophies glitched multiple times, and the Flawless Raider being buggy at the time of attempt (done in the original bug filled VoG raid in 2014 before the other DLCs released).

Guess I wouldnt mind online trophies if the randoms online cared about trophies as much as I do :(

• Like 1

They are a disgrace, i could have a 100% profile, but Tlou and Cod Ghosts from ps3 won't let me do it, i hate multiplayer in both of them. And i hate boosting sessions, my free time is on sunday, i want to play games for fun, not stupid mp boosts, and the worst is when you create a boosting session and only horrible players apply.

Edited by Pavani_

No, trophies must reflect everything a game has to offer and online is a feature so..

OP: online trophies are mostly hated because people isn't good enough to play online againt real opponent and not predictable AI npc ;D

Nope, people hate huge grinds. Take tlou as an example, i didn't wanted to play all those matches just to get the trophies, wtf is the reason to create a trophy for simply playing  ~160 matches?

Server shutdowns and some games having NO community are my main concern with online trophies. I wish devs would stop shoving online trophies into any game. Really just kind of shitty when something becomes unplattable just because of an arbitrary development choice.

• Like 1

I don't hate online trophies for existing, but it feels like a lot of the time they have a horrid effort to reward ratio. Like with AC: Brotherhood you have to hit the level cap, get all of the bonuses with one subset in a single match and take the lead at the last moment for less than a fifth of the main game trophies.

No, trophies must reflect everything a game has to offer and online is a feature so..

OP: online trophies are mostly hated because people isn't good enough to play online againt real opponent and not predictable AI npc ;D

It depends on the trophies in the multiplayer.If the trophies require you to play a few games in each multiplayer mode that's ok.But If the online trophy require to win 10 online games in a row then that is ridiculous.Other trophies that are annoying to people is reaching the max level in a game.Sometimes that takes 100 of hours.

Nope, people hate huge grinds. Take tlou as an example, i didn't wanted to play all those matches just to get the trophies, wtf is the reason to create a trophy for simply playing ~160 matches?

This is mean less since offline trophies have ridiculous requirements as well

Online trophies are part of being a trophy hunter and part of the challenge. I can understand why people dislike online trophies, but in the same sense those same people do not strike me as "dedicated" trophy hunters. True trophy hunters do not back down from a challenge. I too use to get upset with online trophies, especially once I started trophy hunting. But then I founded a gaming group, with the help of some great people I met on this site, called TDYWS, in order to alleviate the hassle of earning online trophies. You can also treat online trophies as a way to meet some cool new people, which is why we have gaming sessions here. I understand that it is not for everyone, this is just my perspective on the whole situation. 

I hate online trophies myself as I have a very poor connection. But then it adds a good feel knowing I got the achievement in a much harder way. NAT 3 has been my bestfriend since I started but luckily I'm still pushing through. Right now the only thing that I hate is Injustice server.