Your Next Game - The Lottery 5 (event closed)

Eff, I know you have been uncertain about doing future installments of The Lottery, but I have a suggestion in case you do continue these (which I hope you do). Sorry if this has been suggested before and I just don't remember it.

Anyways, one of the issues in some installments is people not playing their games and disappearing from the event. Why not create 1-2 reserve/alternate/back-up spots at the beginning of each Lottery. The sign-up process would be just like normal. The first 9 people get spots like usual, but then if there are extra people wanting to join, they could be assigned to these back-up slots. It would be best if these were people who maybe participated before or you were confident would contribute (someone like delboy for example). If everything goes smoothly and everyone plays their games, then these people wouldn't be needed. However, there are cases where it becomes obvious that someone isn't going to play their game based off: they haven't bought their game within a couple weeks, have disappeared entirely from the thread, or aren't responding to any private messages. If this happens, then you could message the back-up and ask if they would like to join the event late. To not make it more work, they wouldn't have to submit a list of games or re-draw anything, they could just jump in and play the game that previous person was assigned. 

This would help increase the chances that all assigned games at least get played and doesn't seem like it would be much additional work. Plus, it might help avoid situations where the active members finish their games early and then there isn't much going on later in the Lottery since more people will possibly be playing and updating their games. Just a thought, sorry again if it's been mentioned before or is just a bad idea.  :)

I like this idea.

And maybe try with more people next time so theres enough people who get the chance to participate :P

Cassiopria and ee28max both dropped off the thread but have continued to be active in other events/threads.  The issue is people who sign up deciding not to participate, both by not playing the game or joining the conversation.

• Like 3

Eff, I know you have been uncertain about doing future installments of The Lottery, but I have a suggestion in case you do continue these (which I hope you do). Sorry if this has been suggested before and I just don't remember it.

Anyways, one of the issues in some installments is people not playing their games and disappearing from the event. Why not create 1-2 reserve/alternate/back-up spots at the beginning of each Lottery. The sign-up process would be just like normal. The first 9 people get spots like usual, but then if there are extra people wanting to join, they could be assigned to these back-up slots. It would be best if these were people who maybe participated before or you were confident would contribute (someone like delboy for example). If everything goes smoothly and everyone plays their games, then these people wouldn't be needed. However, there are cases where it becomes obvious that someone isn't going to play their game based off: they haven't bought their game within a couple weeks, have disappeared entirely from the thread, or aren't responding to any private messages. If this happens, then you could message the back-up and ask if they would like to join the event late. To not make it more work, they wouldn't have to submit a list of games or re-draw anything, they could just jump in and play the game that previous person was assigned. 

This would help increase the chances that all assigned games at least get played and doesn't seem like it would be much additional work. Plus, it might help avoid situations where the active members finish their games early and then there isn't much going on later in the Lottery since more people will possibly be playing and updating their games. Just a thought, sorry again if it's been mentioned before or is just a bad idea.  :)

The bold part could be a problem though.

What if the backup doesn't own the console for the game.

I for example only have a PS4 and I bet there are many other people who only have one console.

Besides that that would be a great idea.

• Like 3

Cassiopria and ee28max both dropped off the thread but have continued to be active in other events/threads.  The issue is people who sign up deciding not to participate, both by not playing the game or joining the conversation.

I was kind of mean to ee28max a few days ago; he had put a status talking about his 600th trophy and I had woken up in a bad mood so I went on a little bit of a rampage about how he had signed up and not returned to this thread.  About how it's the final week and he got the easiest of the games in the lottery  :blah:

He responded with a comment that the only way he could afford to buy his game is if he bought nothing else.  Which made me even more mad because not only does it specifically state in the first post to make sure you can reasonably afford to join, Eff made it clear on at least 2 other occasions (with one being by personal message)   :facepalm:

• Like 4

I was kind of mean to ee28max a few days ago; he had put a status talking about his 600th trophy and I had woken up in a bad mood so I went on a little bit of a rampage about how he had signed up and not returned to this thread.  About how it's the final week and he got the easiest of the games in the lottery  :blah:

He responded with a comment that the only way he could afford to buy his game is if he bought nothing else.  Which made me even more mad because not only does it specifically state in the first post to make sure you can reasonably afford to join, Eff made it clear on at least 2 other occasions (with one being by personal message)   :facepalm:

I'm really not sure what he expected from this event then.  The game was free on PS+ last year and it's $20 which I doubt is "expensive" for a game someone's been assigned.  

• Like 4

The bold part could be a problem though.

What if the backup doesn't own the console for the game.

I for example only have a PS4 and I bet there are many other people who only have one console.

Besides that that would be a great idea.

Good point. I hadn't thought about that or if someone had already played that game. I guess you could go down the list of alternates and see if anyone is eligible to play that game. If not, nothing has changed and that game isn't being played, same as before. No harm no foul. Just gives a better chance of having each game played.

Or you could redo a RNG from the original list they were paired with until the back-up gets a game they qualify for. That's probably getting too complex and adding unnecessary work though. Let's just hope eff keeps doing these events and everyone plays their games! Then there is nothing to worry about.  :)

Edited by MStalker58
  • Like 4

Good point. I hadn't thought about that or if someone had already played that game. I guess you could go down the list of alternates and see if anyone is eligible to play that game. If not, nothing has changed and that game isn't being played, same as before. No harm no foul.

Or you could redo a RNG from the original list they were paired with until the back-up gets a game they qualify for. That's probably getting too complex and adding unnecessary work though. Let's just hope eff keeps doing these events and everyone plays their games! Then there is nothing to worry about.

Or use people who have all 3 systems as back ups in the first place. :P

Good point. I hadn't thought about that or if someone had already played that game. I guess you could go down the list of alternates and see if anyone is eligible to play that game. If not, nothing has changed and that game isn't being played, same as before. No harm no foul. Just gives a better chance of having each game played.

Or you could redo a RNG from the original list they were paired with until the back-up gets a game they qualify for. That's probably getting too complex and adding unnecessary work though. Let's just hope eff keeps doing these events and everyone plays their games! Then there is nothing to worry about.

I suppose you could always have a pool of backups and then do a shout out of "hey, any of you guys want to play xxx game?" and work on a first come, first served basis.  It just means making the pool of backups bigger - or maybe one of the honorary lottery members like yourself or Hemiak can jump in :)

• Like 4

Looking at my list of games he could have gotten a much more expensive game like One Piece Pirate Warrior 3 or something like that.

• Like 1

I suppose you could always have a pool of backups and then do a shout out of "hey, any of you guys want to play xxx game?" and work on a first come, first served basis.  It just means making the pool of backups bigger - or maybe one of the honorary lottery members like yourself or Hemiak can jump in :)

Yeah that's a good description of what I was thinking. Doesn't have to be anything formal or complicated, just something to see if anyone is available to play the game and wouldn't mind that they are joining late or on short notice. 

After discussing this, I just realized that I've had 1 of the 3 games that haven't been played yet (Final Fantasy X) in my backlog this whole time. Guess I could have been playing that and given some unofficial honorary updates. Wish I would have thought about that sooner.  :facepalm:

• Like 3

I'd definitely pitch in if help was needed. Couldn't this year because I'm sitting at 80%+ on FFX, I have the C&P Plat, and I don't have a system that will play OlliOlli2, though I do have it from plus and am looking forward to playing it when I finally upgrade. Either way, all three were (or look like) fun games.

Was going to post suggestions about the alternates idea, got sidetracked, and now everything I would've suggested has been mentioned already, my work here is done.

Oh, and don't mind eff saying there might not be another Lottery. He always gets mopey and introverted towards the end and says he might not bring it back. I'm convinced it's just a ploy to cause more HYPE for the next installment. It's like the McRib, people go apeshit for it, because it might never return...

The one amazing secret FDG doesn't want you to know!

• Like 2

You guys are friggin' hilarious. :D

I post "hmm, um, not sure if there'll be another one" and the place blows up with like 20 posts in a couple of hours, saying no, don't and a bazillion suggestions. :jaymon:

Among the two or three other easily valid reasons why I should cease running The Lottery, my life is about to shift into overdrive and I'm not sure if I'll be able to do these things anymore. I know I've said it before, but this time I seriously need to consider it because the beginning of the next instalment would be running during the beginning of the aforementioned "overdrive" time period and I'm anticipating this would be a distraction, or a tad overwhelming, while I'm getting into the groove.

I'm just saying I need to consider several options.

P.S. lol @ editing my post to make me look like a pervert. :P

Edited by effdeegee
  • Like 3

I post "hmm, um, not sure if there'll be another one" and the place blows up with like 20 posts in a couple of hours, saying no, don't and a bazillion suggestions. :jaymon:

Among the two or three other easily valid reasons why I should cease running The Lottery, my life is about to shift into overdrive and I'm not sure if I'll be able to do these things anymore. I know I've said it before, but this time I seriously need to consider it because the beginning of the next instalment would be running during the beginning of the aforementioned "overdrive" time period and I'm anticipating this would be a distraction, or a tad overwhelming, while I'm getting into the groove.

It's cause we less than three you.

AHDfds.gif

• Like 1

Another 1:30:00 in the records and it wasn't as "adventurous" as the past few stints. Most of my time was spent doing new alchemy recipes for armour and weapons, trying to craft high quality weapons and clothes with several different buffs on each. I feel like I just hit the end of the first year with my adventurer's license and this was like doing lots of prep for the beginning of year two; everyone has new clothes, weapons, friends, places to adventure, etc. B)

Tomorrow is only a half day, so I should be able to put in an extra hour or two when I play. :)

• Like 3

Well I've been watching this event since maybe even the very first one. Probably the second. I'm only just now kind of getting active in the forums, so I really would love a chance to participate. Maybe some options could be to not participate in the next event personally just do the handing out of games and the middle and ending updates, plus whatever time you have for posting in the thread. Maybe assign a second-in-command, someone that's consistently been in and participated in several of these events. 

Also depending on the interest next time around maybe open it up to 12 instead of 10? Maybe then we can get 8 good participants lol

Well I've been watching this event since maybe even the very first one. Probably the second. I'm only just now kind of getting active in the forums, so I really would love a chance to participate. Maybe some options could be to not participate in the next event personally just do the handing out of games and the middle and ending updates, plus whatever time you have for posting in the thread. Maybe assign a second-in-command, someone that's consistently been in and participated in several of these events. 

Also depending on the interest next time around maybe open it up to 12 instead of 10? Maybe then we can get 8 good participants lol

I posted these thoughts in this very thread.

Couldn't someone else volunteer to run The Lottery?

I haven't even decided if I'm gonna stop or not and you're already holding interviews for my replacement? loljk :P

Check one of my last posts and you'll find a link back to where I had a couple of brain farts regarding my potential choices/thought process. Me leaving and having someone else run it for me is by far the least attractive option I've considered so far. I feel like, if I go down, this ship is coming with me. :jaymon:

• Like 4

Joe. That gif. Is. Amazing.

P.S. lol I am a pervert. :P

Oh wow FDG coming out of pervertebial closet. :awesome:

It's cause we less than three you.

AHDfds.gif

frabz-Gaaaaaaaaaaaay-5edcb6.jpg

Just settling in for Day #4 of "FDG's final week Atelier Totori blowup doll sale." :awesome:

Gotta continue to keep up my end of the promise now that I know people less than three me. :wub:

The truth comes out :awesome:

Eff will be back. He could never give up the steady stream of likes

This is possibly the most true statement of all time.

• Like 4